• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
TLDR: please recommend a backup solution that offers very high gb or unlimited plans and is *compatible with windows server*

As some of you may remember crash plan totally fucked many of us. They had an unlimited consumer plan and then... they didnt. I had literally finished backing up i think around 8 or 10 TB of data to them and literally not two weeks later is when they changed their plan. Despite fighting with customer service they offered to only transfer 4TB to the new business only plan, which is ridiculous cause they still had my data and could easily transfer it and keep me as a customer. so ive just kind of been rolling without a backup because i moved somewhere with even slower internet upload.

I now have faster internet upload.

So.. i tried to use crash plan. It errors saying it doesn't support server OS. Which is ludicrous. Reading online some seem to think its because servers are likely to have more data? Who knows. Either way its fucking stupid, i could re-image that server to windows 10 and still have the same amount of data to backup.

So, what is a good backup solution to try?

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I use backblaze unlimited for work and personal files for like $6/month

edit: and it seems to support windows server

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
If you're decently tech savvy, S3 bucket is probably the way to go. It's something you can teach yourself in a couple of afternoons. Any cloud backup solution is just a front end for throwing your data in an S3 bucket anyway. Veeam community edition is free, you can use an S3 bucket as a target.

Do you need it to be a cloud solution? Because if not, it's pretty easy to just get a NAS, throw two 12tb drives in it in a Raid 1 config and let it be a target.