• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Herschel for years, and I'm looking for a new backpack for work and travel.
Tempted to get Kanken because of the range of the colors, but I'm not sure about the shoulder straps.
I love Herschel, but the colors are boring. I love my backpack with crazy colors so I if someone take it, I could notice it.

Price range around $50-150
And I don't want it in neutral colors. I want colors like these

Kanken-colors-web_.jpg

Do you guys have any recommendations?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Kanken isn't the brand right? You can get anything that fits your style by fjallraven, they are very attractive.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Love my osprey tropos, perfect mid size (on the larger end) backpack that's rugged and holds a bunch of gear, clothes, and my laptop.

Might be a bit much depending on your needs tho.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
For just going around the city and work, I've never had a better pack than the Osprey Quasar. It looks like they've updated the design slightly since I bought mine. They used to make them in more colors, you might be able to find older models with them (I used to have a neon orange one before getting my current grey one). Since it's Osprey, I have no doubt the new ones have great build quality and organization options.

Oct 27, 2017
I am a Timbuk2 evangelist. They've got a bag to fit anyone's need. In fact, my wife just made one of their tote/ backpacks into a diaper bag. If you go custom, their color and material choices are very large, despite the neutral colors below

Check out the Division or Rogue for laptop and weather protection. I could own 10 bags from them and still justify owning more

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still have my Fjallraven Kanken I bought 25 years ago, use it almost daily. It is super durable and is always in style. I've gone throgh several Northface during the same time.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Anything by Aer. I have a Duffel Pack and aFit Pack and those are the best backpacks I ever owned. The quality is outstanding. They have something for everyone. Wether you need it for sports, travel or work.
www.aersf.com

aer_duffelpack2_black_award.jpg

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find I have to have a separate bag for traveling to work, as I like to pack light when going away but I don't want a big bag for work and commuting. Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30 is the best bag I have owned and has been all over the world with me. Well designed enough so as I don't have to even bring a checked bag if going for less than a fortnight. They do some great day bags too Top company.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Check out Topo Designs. They have a wide range of bags in a lot of cool colours.

Topo is genuinely the only brand I'd recommend that's not Kanken or Herschel. There are obviously other bags that offer similarly good functionality, but at the cost of being incredibly ugly. Topo makes some incredible nice kit, just a bit more outdoors looking.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
91%2B4%2B9hXX5L._SX425_.jpg

It's not rocket science, you want a backpack to carry heavy stuff (laptops, groceries etc.) and a drink holder. I don't want to hear what the latest trend is, give me practicality above all. Try Carhartt.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fjallraven has really nice backbags. I wear my Kanken no 21 daily and it's super durable and stylish. Can only recommend them. Costy, but good quality and eco.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I just got a Hershel backpack, but yeah, they have limited colors. Luckily they had the color I wanted in stock, but they seem to discontinue colors frequently.

OP
OP
scarlet

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to buy the Kanken. It's so small on my body LOL.

I also bought a messenger bag from Crumpler and a crossbody bag from Herschel.

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have this, the Jansport Watchtower:
1444825420_1186484.jpg

Fucking awesome, sturdy as hell backpack. I've had it for a little over a year and it may as well still be brand new, even with me using it daily all summer at my full time, very physically demanding job.Tons of pockets, even an insulated one to keep your food/drink hot or cold.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
Something made out of cordura. Patagonia make great backpacks so I'm told. I've got a north Face borealis. That bag is like the TARDIS. Great for short trips as you can get a lot in it. Also got the new supreme cordura backpack for day to day laptop travel. It's got loads of compartments and pockets, waterproof and comfortable. Both really good bags. The cordura fabric feels incredibly durable and waterproof. I cycle a lot and when it rained heavily the north face could let a little water in

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I've had a Mission backpack for close to 10 years now that looks and feels almost new. Good in the rain.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I use a Burton Annex as my work back

Tough, lots of organisation pouches. Side access to the suspended laptop sleeve. It's waterproof too.

I had a Samsonite Paradiver and it was good as well.

Jyester

Oct 27, 2017
I am a Timbuk2 evangelist. They've got a bag to fit anyone's need. In fact, my wife just made one of their tote/ backpacks into a diaper bag. If you go custom, their color and material choices are very large, despite the neutral colors below

Check out the Division or Rogue for laptop and weather protection. I could own 10 bags from them and still justify owning more
Thanks for the recommendation! Timbuk2 looks pretty cool and their prices seem very reasonable. Probably gonna get the black Tuck Pack.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
the IKEA Forenkla backpack is very good for travel and it's cheap while high quality. Very spacious.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if is only a Singapore thing, but here it's esclusive carried by women's.
Yep. In Asia I don't think I've ever seen a man wearing one. Would love to hear I'm wrong, as they're pretty nice looking.
Holy Crap, I don't even need a new backpack but that thing is VERY thoughtful in features I didn't know I needed in my life.
Gonna buy one for travel in Europe next year, because of the pickpockets.

OP
OP
scarlet

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if is only a Singapore thing, but here it's esclusive carried by women's.
Yep. In Asia I don't think I've ever seen a man wearing one. Would love to hear I'm wrong, as they're pretty nice looking.

Gonna buy one for travel in Europe next year, because of the pickpockets.

I'm a guy in Asia I'll let you know the reactions. But seriously the bag is so small, I might use it as totebag not backpack

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation! Timbuk2 looks pretty cool and their prices seem very reasonable. Probably gonna get the black Tuck Pack.

Hope it works well, their roll-tops are phenomenal.

I will give you the same gripe almost all their backpacks have: water bottle pockets won't fit a wide mouth Nalgene bottle, and the main compartment always needs more organization space.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Realtalk: Not cool or good looking but for materials, practicality and tech as it relates to construction - Ogio. I have a bunch of Tom Binh stuff though and I love it. SPENDY.

Brain Bag and Synapse are great and my tristar works as backpack and carry on.

I also kinda like North Face backpacks.

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
If you want something minimalistic with good price and quality, there's Ucon Acrobatics. I have this black rubber one, but there is a good variety of colors and finishes (suede, cotton etc).
They are EU based tho, I don't know how they handle oversee orders.

ua_hajo-backpack_lotus-series_black_01_4_960x.jpg

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a guy in Asia I'll let you know the reactions. But seriously the bag is so small, I might use it as totebag not backpack

Fjallraven also has the Raven 20 model and it's really spacious without looking overly big. I like it a lot. Fits a 15" MBP, plenty of books and all sorts of other crap. It comes in a bunch of great colors like the Kanken you showed in the OP. If you need it even bigger, there's the Raven 28 too. I'm not super savvy with backpacks though. I like simple ones.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I really like the Timbuk2 packs as well. The Blink pack is worth checking out as well. It's great for travel and the airplane.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Yea the kĂĄnken is used 90% by women, especially in brighter colors. Doesn't mean you can't. What i use is a cotopaxi cusco classic. Very high quality for the price. They are known for their bright colors, and make many other ones in those, even if mine is in olive green.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I have the ll bean continental rucksack, it's pretty good and has waist and chest straps for hiking/biking

506337_47125_41

Kanken honestly looks like shit, aside from having lots of color options I don't understand why people buy them

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Anything by Mission Workshop, they're expensive but they ooze quality (Lifetime Warranty). I could put AER, Trakke or Black Ember in there as well, they're not as flashy as MW but they're really good.

Oct 27, 2017
Anything by Mission Workshop, they're expensive but they ooze quality (Lifetime Warranty). I could put AER, Trakke or Black Ember in there as well, they're not as flashy as MW but they're really good.

I love Mission, but OP was looking for vibrant colors. With that said, the Rambler is a great all-around use pack, and their messenger bags are second to none in quality and spaciousness

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
For work, I have a company-branded OGIO Axle backpack, and as far as functionality and security for tech, it's ace.
Unfortunately, it only comes in black and slate gray.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Had an Eastpak backpack for about 5 years now - use it daily, sometimes with quite a lot in it, still seems as good as new to me, no issues with quality.

eastpak-padded-pakr-variety.jpg