• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
*Please share your overall feelings towards each console you mention: where it ranks among your favourites, standout games etc.

Those of us that have burdened ourselves with humongous backlogs (basically 99% of us) I'm interested to hear about any consoles whose libraries you have exhausted or even come close to exhausting? I have so many games on pretty much every main console to play through yet (all the way back to 4th gen) because I tend to play a little of each console at a time but I'm interested to see how your gaming habits might differ. No cheating and saying XsX or PS5 lmao.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
That's tricky. There are a few systems where I've beaten every game I currently own, and a few more where I'm very, very close to that. But that's not quite the same thing as beating every game of interest. I assume I'll end up buying some more games for those systems eventually.

I'll probably conquer the Virtual Boy library this year, though. That one will be pretty definitive.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
None... not even Virtual Boy lol. I feel like every system I own still has cool games for me to explore. It's especially true when you factor in imports.

Makoto

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I have any. Thanks to the retro community I tend to learn about games I didn't even know it existed, so each console's list of interesting games is always growing.

Maybe one day I'm thinking "Yeah, I played everything cool in the original GameBoy", and then the next day I watch a video by Jeremy Parish and learn that the Tower of Druaga for GameBoy has unique bosses, and suddenly there is a new game to look for on eBay.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
How would you even go about checking stuff like this? Popular consoles like snes and mega drive have like a million games. Is there even a list or directory of every game released for a system?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I doubt I'll return to play any new GBA, Xbox, 360, NEW, or Wii games. I think I'm set on all those.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
Atari 2600 and Wii U, I've played everything I've wanted on those 2 consoles, but I'm still working thru games I didn't have funds for in the 80s/90s alongside trying to keep up with the enormous amount of releases from modern consoles. I think my current "want to play list" is around 1500 games, so I've got a long ways to go.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Lol.... ever since I became an adult, I've had a massive backlog. I may never get through my PS4 backlog.

To answer the question as best as possible I will say GameCube.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
How would you even go about checking stuff like this? Popular consoles like snes and mega drive have like a million games. Is there even a list or directory of every game released for a system?

You have a point but this is obviously assuming you've researched a console quite well and as far as you're aware you're familiar with the games you want to play on the consoles. I mean I tend to watch hidden gems videos and browse websites for every console I'm interested in and I'm pretty sure I've found almost all games that interest me for most consoles.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I mean I don't like older games that much because I don't have an attachment to them, so I wouldn't mind never playing another new (to me) NES, SNES, Genesis, GB(C), GBA, or Saturn game, but there's always more to explore for every console

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
When I look at a list of NES games, I'm pretty happy with what I've finished versus what I have not. I've had the longest amount of time to do so that kind of makes sense. DQIII and FFIII are the most glaring omissions, but otherwise I feel everything of note I've played through. Other consoles I still have hours and hours of games to play.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Wii U at this point? Nothing that's exclusive to that system interests me and the few games that I was interested in are on Switch now.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I have very, very few games lingering for the Saturn, N64, and Gamecube. Like, less than 10 each.

If I just sat down to play them I'd be able to cross those consoles off my list entirely.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
I finished all consoles up to Ps4/One generation, Ps4 there's only last of us 2 to play and Xbox almost everything from Xbox one. Got gamepass to solve that.

Ps1 and SNES where the most pleasant
Sega CD and turbografx the lesser ones

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't think there's a single system I've ever exhausted the library of, they all have way more decent games than I'd ever be able to play when I get though about a dozen games a year, stick many times that on a wishlist and mix a bit of retro stuff with new releases. The platforms that were big when I was a child, I was only able to play 3-4 a year max. So there's still tons of stuff to look at there even 30+ years later and having played several dozen extra ones since, not to mention the stuff that didn't get an EU release at the time. I still find out about games that I didn't even know existed all the time, or finally see a gameplay video and think 'yeah I'd like to give that a go'.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
The NES for sure.

Honestly, I won't even play NES games that I like any more. They are waaaaay too dated. Furthest back I'll go is SNES, which has plenty of games I still need to check out (Chrono Trigger)

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
NES, SNES, N64, Wii, GBC, GBA and DS though unless I feel like going looking for a game I really want to play, I dont see me getting to those platforms specifically anytime soon HOWEVER if more of the games from these platforms get ported over (i.e. Switch) I would absolutely get them there - even ones that I already own and beaten.

xnfHXGV.jpg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Super difficult question to answer.

I have owned and played all consoles since the 70's and have hit the high notes of every generation in terms of actual games. The highlights for me were the NES, PS1, 360/PS gens for me. NES was such a game changer, as was the PS1 at the time. Yes, their follow up systems had better games and libraries, but there is something special about being first to break down barriers and do something new/different. Their follow ups simply refined that formula.

Right now I am actually concentrating on arcade games via retropi and there are literally thousands of games. But holy shit I am loving my arcade game revival.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm done with my PS3 backlog. All games have been sold, I only still have the console around because I have a bunch of PS1 Classics on it.

Wonderful console but I only played Sony exclusives on it and everything I wanted to play, I either finished or it's also on PS4.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
If there's a major system with nothing left I want to play that probably just means I'm not aware of everything avaliable on it.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Basically the only 16 bit system I still have backlog is SNES. Nothing before that or in same gen. After that PSX and up all has backlog :). Well, Dreamcast has no backlog but I still play it.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I finished all consoles up to Ps4/One generation, Ps4 there's only last of us 2 to play and Xbox almost everything from Xbox one. Got gamepass to solve that.

Ps1 and SNES where the most pleasant
Sega CD and turbografx the lesser ones

That is dope. I like having plenty of older stuff to play through but I'm sure it's also nice to be able to focus on modern consoles and still be able to replay older system favourites.

NES, SNES, N64, Wii, GBC, GBA and DS though unless I feel like going looking for a game I really want to play, I dont see me getting to those platforms specifically anytime soon HOWEVER if more of the games from these platforms get ported over (i.e. Switch) I would absolutely get them there - even ones that I already own and beaten.

xnfHXGV.jpg

Wow, good going. That steam library though woahly shit.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Everyone please accept my apology for increasing your backlog woes (and again with this bump lol). As a peace offering I can hook you up with some sweeeeeet hidden gems.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
That is dope. I like having plenty of older stuff to play through but I'm sure it's also nice to be able to focus on modern consoles and still be able to replay older system favourites.

Wow, good going. That steam library though woahly shit.

If could go back I wouldn't finish all the plataforms I would spread out a little bit, because I now have long hiatus between games, and play just to play or buy stuff you will not play immediately are bigger sins

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Pretty much every one I've owned including ps5 which I'm fully up to date with.

The only consoles that have games that still interest me are the dreamcast and saturn but that's more replaying.

I typically buy a single game I'm interested in at launch play it and move on. With the ps4 it really helped that there hasn't really been anything I've been massively interested in since shenmue 3. Ghost of tsushima was a neat surprise though but in general that console was done for me after shenmue. I only played they ghost because a friend pushed it on me telling me I'd love it

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
MLIbpsz.png

Most of my systems are cleared up at this part. I think the DS and 3DS are my favorite systems I've cleared out. GBA is also good...honestly just Nintendo handhelds tend to have great libraries. But the JRPGs on the DS and 3DS make em the best for me.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Wii U count if all the ones I want to play got Switch ports by now lol.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to think this is the case with many of the old systems, from the Atari up through the PS1 or PS2 era. But sooner or later, I'll be poking around on the internet and stumble across something that looks interesting.

Case in point, I bought (and played) at least one game for all of these old systems in 2020:

NES
Genesis
Super NES
SEGA CD
Jaguar
Virtual Boy
Saturn
Playstation
Nintendo 64
Game Boy Color
Playstation 2
Xbox
Gamecube
Xbox 360
Playstation 3
Nintendo 3DS

So maybe I'm done with the missing ones: the Atari, Game Gear, 3DO, Dreamcast, GBA, Nintendo DS, PSP, Vita. Hell, maybe I'm done with the ones above, could be. Or maybe something else will catch my eye this year.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
MLIbpsz.png

Most of my systems are cleared up at this part. I think the DS and 3DS are my favorite systems I've cleared out. GBA is also good...honestly just Nintendo handhelds tend to have great libraries. But the JRPGs on the DS and 3DS make em the best for me.

Great stuff. I have way more games to play in each console than you do but i really should restrict myself to only absolute must play games. That way I wouldn't feel so many backlog woes.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I was one title short on Wii U, and I was about 1/3rd of the way through fatal frame v before I had to move abroad and hence couldn't bring the Wii U.
I'll get back to it one day and finish it though.

On PS4 I'm only missing Yakuza 4 -7 onwards and I'll probably play those on Steam eventually too, once I have access to my capable laptop...

I'm pretty likely to catch up on Switch by the end of this year too, if things keep going at the rate they are (5 titles finished in January!)

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I'll never get to that point, I feel. Maybe the Wii U. I bought most of the games I wanted for that system, which aren't many, but I haven't gotten around to playing all of them.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I've cleared all my console backlogs. I only have PC left (less than 50 games remaining there, too). Good times.

Overall I feel the PS1 and PS2 libraries were the most impressive in terms of both size and diversity. There are so many hidden gems.

I like most consoles, with the exception of the Wii because I despised the motion controls. I have a particular soft spot for the Xbox, and love it when you have anomalies like the sudden unexpected release of Metal Wolf Chaos on Steam.