• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
Especially since we saw that Doc got sent back in time when he was just floating in the air all because of a lightning strike. He wasn't moving 88MPH at all.
If you watch the audio commentary the producers actually talk about this. What happened was that the Delorean spun 88mph because the lightning messed with the flying ability. This is why you see the 99 in the air after it vanished, it spun. They just couldn't show it better with the special effects they had. It's a fact the Delorean needs a momentum of 88mph otherwise a whole lot of stuff wouldn't make any sense. You have that right out of the mouth of the creators.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
If you watch the audio commentary the producers actually talk about this. What happened was that the Delorean spun 88mph because the lightning messed with the flying ability. This is why you see the 99 in the air after it vanished, it spun. They just couldn't show it better with the special effects they had. It's a fact the Delorean needs a momentum of 88mph otherwise a whole lot of stuff wouldn't make any sense. You have that right out of the mouth of the creators.

Makes some sense as the speedometer would have been modified for the flight conversion.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
LMAO! Well played, OP.

I thought it'd legit be something I missed XD XD

I noticed that literally the first time I saw the film as a kid in the 80's. Man, that website must be hungry for clicks. And I clicked on the link, so it worked! Those monsters!

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Well to be fair in 1885 they wouldn't have had any kind of technology whatsoever to modify it nor would they have been able to get the 1.21Jiggowatts to activate it. You saw how much Doc had to do in 1955 just to get it running again with the vacuum tubes to replace the microchip. Also we end up with the same issue. In 1955 they happened to know where electricity would be because of a fluke. In 1885 they wouldn't have that benefit. Plus you saw how much effort was put into even getting the train to go that fast.

Maybe in the end I'm wrong. But then again it's a movie and they wanted to make it easy to understand for the audience. Would be hilarious if Doc said "I just changed the trigger to activate at 15 MPH instead of 88. Should be a piece of cake getting you home."

See I'm thinking about the real world logistics rather than the in-movie logistics. It doesn't really make sense that the time circuits require a speed of 88MPH. Especially since we saw that Doc got sent back in time when he was just floating in the air all because of a lightning strike. He wasn't moving 88MPH at all. He wasn't moving anything at all. The time circuits do not require movement. All they require is enough electricity. Doc should have known this. He should have known he could have just hooked it up to a wire and a lightning rod and waited for a strike. He's a smart man. Somehow this escaped him. (Also, and I know it's just so they'd have a reason for a third movie, I always wondered why Doc was even flying anyway. Why didn't he land and park while Marty burnt the Almanac? He would have had to pick up Marty anyway. There was no reason to be flying, especially in a storm.)
* edit beaten

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The car can jump without moving, this was shown quite clearly at the end of Part II. Sure, the circuits were scrambled and all, but it was otherwise just hovering in place. I always assumed the 88mph was just arbitrary, possibly a way of preventing an accidental jump since you'd have to intentionally get up to speed (and let's be honest, the DeLorean wasn't the most powerful car, especially the original version), so 88mph, while certainly doable, isn't something that would just happen by accident). Perhaps it was something built into the computer and 1955 Doc wouldn't know how to change it, and 1885 Doc wouldn't have been able to adjust it without another bigger computer to hook into it (although the real reason, of course, is because they needed a big action piece at the end of both movies).

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
We just re-watched the trilogy this week and I discovered a cool easter egg I never noticed. In the opening sequence of BttF1, with all of Doc's clocks, one of the clocks is clearly inspired by the end sequence of the flick and has a person hanging from one of the clock hands.

noQV9TQw45jfYMP0WNF4C__FA7kjImdqm2rlAy9G0kE.jpg
20 Things you didn't know about Back to the Future! Except if you've watched 100 other videos just like this!

Edit - Eric Stoltz before he was removed from the film

Stoltz10[1].jpg
See this is stuff that I actually didn't know

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The car can jump without moving, this was shown quite clearly at the end of Part II. Sure, the circuits were scrambled and all, but it was otherwise just hovering in place. I always assumed the 88mph was just arbitrary, possibly a way of preventing an accidental jump since you'd have to intentionally get up to speed (and let's be honest, the DeLorean wasn't the most powerful car, especially the original version), so 88mph, while certainly doable, isn't something that would just happen by accident). Perhaps it was something built into the computer and 1955 Doc wouldn't know how to change it, and 1885 Doc wouldn't have been able to adjust it without another bigger computer to hook into it (although the real reason, of course, is because they needed a big action piece at the end of both movies).
I'm going to self-correct here, having just finished watching the film for the first time in years. The 88mph is not arbitrary, but apparently a vital component of the time travel process. When the car jumped for the first time with Einstein in it, Doc was happier about the fact that he had correctly predicted it would happen at exactly 88mph, so it wasn't anything he had specifically envisioned, it was just part of the process of making the car jump. Which then begs the question of how it jumped at the end of Part 2, unless it was simply that the entire flux circuit was overloaded.

The bigger question I had watching it this time was how he was able to remote control the car, including moving it in reverse, when it had a manual transmission.

Going back to the other question about the timing of the lighting strike, after Doc reads the flyer about the clock tower, he says that it occurs "precisely" at 10:04, and he seemed pretty confident about it. It's implied that they were indeed able to accurately determine the exact time of the strike, probably (as I mentioned earlier) based on the interior components of the clock. Unfortunately, this is purely a trick of the script, as the flyer prop didn't have any particular text on it, only the headlines were important and the rest was filled with the random drivel that all movie newspapers have.

As to how the clock was stopped by the lightning strike, being entirely mechanical in nature, Doc himself wrapped the electrical cable around the minute hand to secure it at the top before he slid down to the bottom to reconnect the other end. This means the electricity was also shunted directly into the mechanics of the clock, probably fusing them, in addition to what went down the wire to the car. I suppose you could argue about whether he always did that in every conceivable timeline, but you could assume that he did.

As to the OP, the mall's name isn't remotely hidden.. Zemeckis has the camera linger on the sign in both timelines, making it impossible to miss except for maybe your first time watching, since your attention is elsewhere.