• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jambi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A friend mentioned this, but it feels like turtle rock can only make one type of game and anything they try just isn't as good as L4D. I played a couple of rounds and it honestly just feels like a L4D mod. It even looks like L4D. The creature types are basically the same, just different looks. The only real difference is the card loadout which just adds an unnecessary layer of rng. The general idea of a game type like this is fine, but something else needed to be added to make it interesting, not just random cards to make it "rogue like"

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Just played some. Outside of bugs, my biggest gripe is the card system. Its just there for microtransactions. I don't want to judge it too harshly considering its a beta and can improve a lot by and a little after release.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I think it's great but it's definitely a true alpha, it has a lot of potential but it also feels very unpolished which is normal since it's, well, an alpha

Performance is rough tho, and the fact that you can't tinker with the settings isn't helping.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I mean.. yikes.

I played a few rounds and will play a few more, and I will have to gather my thoughts about this afterwards but first impression is not good.

The way they deal with weapons, ammo and health in this game is a far cry from the simple effective system l4d had.

It makes me feel like Valve had a lot of positive influence in the development of left 4 dead and now turtle rock is doing it on their own, they really are missing the valve sauce that just makes it fun to play. All the ingredients are there, its just coated in an incredibly tedious and frustrating sauce of systems and hurdles.

nothing feels intuitive and in the intensity of the match it just translates into frustration for me.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
It feels and looks very dated and rough. They got some time to polish it up and the shooting feels fun enough but yeah it needs a lot of work and I'm not convinced this is going to sell well as a AAA full priced titled.
I wanted more Left 4 dead with modern graphics played a round and yep that is what it is and i am happy. i am happy at least every weapon has ADS though at least. and you can sprint.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Definitely has potential but needs some work for sure. I actually like the card system gives way to some interesting playstyles I feel like. I am a fan of roguelikes though. There was a card I got where every melee hit gave 2 health back, but it was unfortunately very hard to melee without getting hit I felt like.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
There are just enough annoyances to be a bit cautious - not sure its coming from the "Alpha" or just game design.
Core game seems fun enough, but honestly WWZ is more fun and has (had) better ideas. The card system is CONFUSING so I didnt bother with it at all so far.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean.. yikes.

I played a few rounds and will play a few more, and I will have to gather my thoughts about this afterwards but first impression is not good.

The way they deal with weapons, ammo and health in this game is a far cry from the simple effective system l4d had.

It makes me feel like Valve had a lot of positive influence in the development of left 4 dead and now turtle rock is doing it on their own, they really are missing the valve sauce that just makes it fun to play. All the ingredients are there, its just coated in an incredibly tedious and frustrating sauce of systems and hurdles.

nothing feels intuitive and in the intensity of the match it just translates into frustration for me.
What systems are bothering you? Is there a lot of influence from other games?

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
People online are playing it too much like an exact copy of L4D2 right now, where they just try to speedrun everything when the game is clearly slower paced and team-focused, so they end up dying.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Having lots of fun tbh. ADS is a godsend, going back to L4D is tough without it. visuals are great, audio is great, performance is so-so but will be sorted before release.

But man, £50 is rough.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Apparently, going fullscreen instead of borderless helps the performance a lot. Can't try it right now tho

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What systems are bothering you? Is there a lot of influence from other games?
Card system is super confusing. In l4d everything you did was within the match. from switching weapons to gathering ammo. lots of that is still there but now there is a card system that modifies your stats. like makes you more resistant to fire. essentially what that means is that your base character without those things just kinds sucks. and you really need to get into that system to feel more resilient to the challenges the game throws at you. what that also means is that the enemies are just a bit tougher than you are capable of handling without having any cards. meaning again you are forced to dive into the card system. but because enemies are just a bit tougher also means you really slay trough ammo dealing with the hordes and special infected.

ammo is something that can seem rare, but that is because your team mates are probably gobbling it up right in front of you. In l4d you had infinite pools of ammo at places so everybody could quickly restock making sure everybody is at the same level before being served the next challenges. This type of refueling is now gone and you find pockets of ammo from dead zombies or locations. but once you restock from that ammo you remove it, so loot goblins can really fuck over their team. Also you now have a basic inventory screen which allows you to drop ammo and stuff for your teammates. but its kinds hidden and I have not seen anyone really use it. again its an extra band aid layer for a mechanic that I think doesn't fit this type of game.

Left 4 dead made it possible to easily play with randoms when you are just doing a casual round, but now you really need good teammates otherwise it can really feel like a drag.

at least this has been my experience, curious to read other peoples opinion.

Its def a lot slower and hardcore take on the old l4d formula.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Card system is super confusing. In l4d everything you did was within the match. from switching weapons to gathering ammo. lots of that is still there but now there is a card system that modifies your stats. like makes you more resistant to fire. essentially what that means is that your base character without those things just kinds sucks. and you really need to get into that system to feel more resilient to the challenges the game throws at you. what that also means is that the enemies are just a bit tougher than you are capable of handling without having any cards. meaning again you are forced to dive into the card system.

ammo is something that can seem rare, but that is because your team mates are probably gobbling it up right in front of you. Also you now have a basic inventory screen which allows you to drop ammo and stuff for your teammates. but its kinds hidden and I have not seen anyone really use it.

Left 4 dead made it possible to easily play with randoms when you are just doing a casual round, but now you really need good teammates otherwise it can really feel like a drag.

at least this has been my experience, curious to read other peoples opinion.

Its def a lot slower and hardcore take on the old l4d formula.
Sounds like it's more demanding of teamwork and forcing players to engage with their new systems. Why then even give the chance to play without cards?

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I can feel L4D3 in here somewhere, but I agree it feels weighed down by unnecessary and unintuitive systems.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Man, Back 4 Blood puttin' in work.

2020-12-17_21_54_03-Toutes_les_categories_-_Twitch.png

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this ain't a game to play with randoms. Half the fun of Left 4 Dead is hopping into any old game and having a blast. Going ADS, stamina and this card system with everything means I'm out.

Might be fun if you have a pre-made group though.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Steam page is up and it is.....$60.

store.steampowered.com

Back 4 Blood on Steam

Back 4 Blood is a thrilling cooperative first-person shooter from the creators of the critically acclaimed Left 4 Dead franchise. Experience the intense 4 player co-op narrative campaign, competitive multiplayer as human or Ridden, and frenetic gameplay that keeps you in the action.

People were expecting less? It's WB and it's AAA.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to ask but if anyone has a spare code they'd be willing to share, I'd appreciate it a ton. 😔 I'm loving how the game looks so far from the streams I've seen.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Game looks pretty good, but damn that price tho :/ will probably wait till after launch to see what people says, before i make a decision to buy it.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Are the cards consumables? From what I gather, you pick 15 cards to make a deck and then draw 5 random cards every match to put into slots.

1 gift from Jawmuncher

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Jawmuncher Jawmuncher!

This is a lightning raffle that will expire in 1 hour. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Jawmuncher said:

These are our awesome prizes:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Game has its moments, but it needs tweaking. It feels very ... small also? Like most areas you will just run through - maybe that's how random people play but its more hectic than I would like.

Skid 4

Jan 18, 2018
this game is way harder than L4D, but i don't think thats a bad thing. the first two games i played were pretty quick deaths but, to be fair the first game i played on played on the second hardest difficulty and made it about 20ft out of the safe room door lol. but after that i went to the normal difficulty which seems to be the easy difficulty in this game - the last game I just played i grouped with 3 other people who played it pretty seriously and it was a lot of fun! unfortunately 2 of the member lagged out at the end of the 3rd act. I think this game will be a real good time with people, but maybe not playable solo or with randoms, which is usually the only way i'm able to play. :(

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly prefer L4D2. This game is simply too difficult and requires a cohesive team to actually complete levels. Furthermore, ammo is extremely limited. Also, why is hip firing awful? The mechanics of L4D2 are superior.

I like the perk system however.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Mounting that minigun and protecting your team from hordes that went after them felt awesome.
I think this game has more in common with Vermintide 2 than L4D2

The special zombies are a letdown so far tho.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Honestly, the fact that this is much more co-op focused makes me think that there will be a very dedicated fan base for this. It just feels like that sort of game

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I just finished the Act with my friends and we all really enjoyed it. I do wish that it was longer like a L4D campaign length, but gameplay wise, it feels like a modern L4D.

As for the card system, it's interesting. All the cards are unlocked for you, and you make a deck of 15 that you draw from at the start of each level.

My biggest disappointment is looking at the Ultimate version:

Buy Back 4 Blood: Ultimate Edition and get:

• Base Game
• 4 days Early Access to Back 4 Blood
• Annual Pass: Three upcoming downloadable content drops with New Story, Playable Characters, Special Mutated Ridden, and more
• 4 Character Battle Hardened Skin Pack
• Additional digital in-game items: Rare Banner, Emblem, Spray, Title

It sucks that characters and Special Ridden are going to be paid DLC.