• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Was Baby Yoda wildin’ out?

• Man! Eat dem kids!

Votes: 854 80.6%
  • Canceled!

Votes: 205 19.4%

• Total voters

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What else are people supposed to call him? "The Child" is vague and generic. You say "Baby Yoda" and everyone knows exactly who you're talking about. If they want people to call him something else they're going to have to give him an actual name.
Well it's canonical name is The Child. When people say Baby Yoda all I think it's it's not Yoda and technically it's not even a baby. It's closer to a toddler. It's name in the show and in the script etc for now is it's The Child, so call it The Child or if you wanna be specific The Child from The Mandalorian. It's not that hard. "Baby Yoda" drives me nuts, haha, because it makes absolutely zero sense. Again; this might be because I'm autistic and I'm very punctual about stuff like this, so sorry if this seems dumb.

You wouldn't like it if I would call your newborn kid Baby Mark because all newborn kids look the same, would you?

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah its Baby Yoda.

We all know it's not actually baby yoda. But it's baby yoda. You know what we mean, and those of us that know Mando know that you mean baby yoda when you say The Child. For everyone else out there, its baby yoda.

d81c27f0b9200793e19c69871d395972.gif

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The entire point of the joke here is that Yoda is doing an awful thing. It's hard to tell how aware it is, but atleast on it's face, he's a child and that means he's primarily concerned with base desires, such as hunger.

He's clearly not aware. What I found more appalling was Pedro not caring very much if the eggs survived after the Yoda threat crystallized before him. He's being negligent and lackadaisical with a couple's only chance at fertility.

If anybody needs cancelling, it's the mandalorian. I always knew they were hiding ugliness behind those masks!

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Should have ended the episode with a note saying no actual alien frog embryos were harmed in the filming of this episode.

It was a running gag that overstayed it's welcome for a lot of people. Didn't bother me too much, though I can see how a character you like eating children would be off putting. It's just tv though so 🤷‍♂️.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
They put out bait and the Hutt that put the bait there got eaten instead.

I don't really think that was played for "laughs" so much as it was just meant to establish that the dragon was more dangerous and unpredictable than they had planned. I think it's a fair criticism that the tuskens have been nameless canon fodder throughout all of star wars, but i dunno if i agree that this specific shot was a joke so much as an escalation of stakes. it's classic monster movie stuff.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the Star Wars fandom..or at least anyone actually offended by this harmless and hilarious egg gag gets cancelled.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think that was played for "laughs" so much as it was just meant to establish that the dragon was more dangerous and unpredictable than they had planned. I think it's a fair criticism that the tuskens have been nameless canon fodder throughout all of star wars, but i dunno if i agree that this specific shot was a joke so much as an escalation of stakes. it's classic monster movie stuff.
Eh the whole episode is very cheesy so I definitely think it was played for laughs.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well it's canonical name is The Child. When people say Baby Yoda all I think it's it's not Yoda and technically it's not even a baby. It's closer to a toddler. It's name in the show and in the script etc for now is it's The Child, so call it The Child or if you wanna be specific The Child from The Mandalorian. It's not that hard. "Baby Yoda" drives me nuts, haha, because it makes absolutely zero sense. Again; this might be because I'm autistic and I'm very punctual about stuff like this, so sorry if this seems dumb.

You wouldn't like it if I would call your newborn kid Baby Mark because all newborn kids look the same, would you?
it is a character in a tv-show. not a real child. good god.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna call Miles Morales Peter Parker in the new Spider-Man game because they're both Spider-Men.

That's pretty different "The Child"/"Youngling"/"Baby Yoda" doesn't have a name while Miles Morales does. Calling The Child; Baby Yoda is the same as they are both names used as a placeholder.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Baby Yoda/The Child is a stupid character anyway. There, I said it.

Sure, it's cute and all, but the fact that now canonically Yoda's species is still a baby at 50 is a dumb thing. What made Yoda cool is that with 900 years old he has this aura of being this ancient who had seen more than anyone else in the universe. Now we know that for at least 50 of those 900 years the dude was probably barely able to walk upright.

So I guess he just basically was a 50-year old in Yoda species years. Thanks Hidalgo.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
in an episode in the first season he eats a live frog but noone says anything, now it's unfertilized eggs and suddenly he's a monster?

Yeah... no.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if people understand that these are eggs as in ovum, not eggs as in chicken. They're taking them to be inseminated. It's basically eating genetic material, not living things. It's as if people made a big deal of eating... that white sticky liquid that humans make ;)

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep calling it Baby Yoda? 🤦🏼‍♂️ It's been a year. Do they still not know it's not Yoda and/or Yoda is not a species? Or is this just my autism speaking?

It's a nickname, not his literal name. He's a baby that looks like Yoda, so...

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's a weird gag that doesnt fit the tone or appeal of what they're going for with the character but I ain't gonna lie, it is kinda funny.

I probably wouldn't have put it in but it isn't something that ruins the character. It's just kind of doesnt fit.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely thought "well he's doing this to store some eggs and during the episode the frog lady is going to fail that task to bring the eggs (through the dangers of the snow planet) to that specific planet losing all hope till The Child comes up and somehow deliver the stored eggs hatched to her". Like he even did that "i'm sensing The Force on this thing" motion earlier on the episode.

But no, it was just for the gags...wtf...
I felt really uncomfortable with this episode it was just stupid.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I mean, the difference is pretty obvious, right? The live frog wasn't a sentient being specifically mentioned as to be the last in its line.
and how a child that in human age is about 2 should know the difference exactly? If anything it should be more grossed out about eating living things (who is actually sentient instead of a fertilized egg).

Do you have the same problem with people swallowing semen after a BJ? Because that's the same kind of genetic material (and then would become a consent problem and not a cannibalistic problem which seems to be how people are making it out to be)

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Baby Yoda eating the eggs was hilarious AND hit at an undeniable, important truth: toddlers are great, cute and all the rest of it but they are amoral bastards.

When my niece was a baby she would have done exactly this. This is children. They do not give a single shit.

Moleculoman

Nov 17, 2017
I still say the container is going to get destroyed or something in the next episode and all is lost and then baby Yoda barfs up the unchewed eggs and saves the species.

Frog lady is just ensuring her family line continues, not the species as a whole. Anyways, this was my exact theory when it seemed like he was communing with the eggs (even though they are unfertilized). I feel like the writers were subverting our expectations. I was like "he's keeping the eggs warm in his belly! That's gotta be it!".

But as the episode went on, I thought about stomach acids. The final scene with him eating another egg then brought me crashing to reality! XD

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
My wife and I were losing it every time the kiddo went for the eggs. I don't think enough people have spent a significant enough time around small children. They put *everything* in their mouth and try to eat it. My kids have tried to eat dog shit. It's what they do.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I wonder if people understand that these are eggs as in ovum, not eggs as in chicken. They're taking them to be inseminated. It's basically eating genetic material, not living things. It's as if people made a big deal of eating... that white sticky liquid that humans make ;)
Do you have the same problem with people swallowing semen after a BJ? Because that's the same kind of genetic material (and then would become a consent problem and not a cannibalistic problem which seems to be how people are making it out to be)
While I think the case brought up by the subject of the thread is silly, these comparisons aren't quite valid. It seems to be me that it'd be more like if you had frozen your sperm earlier, with a plan to use it very soon and then have a vasectomy. But then suddenly something gets to where your sperm is and eats it. Now you can't have children despite your plans.

There's a certain dark humor to be found in that certainly, and I don't mind the episode.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
A friend of mine is convinced he was actually eating them as since he's Baby Yoda he detects the rest will not survive. And hell either "lay," or more like poop or throw up, the ones he did eat totally preserved this actually saving the day when it appeared he was being a sick. He posted it the day the show aired and has been now linking to other people saying the same shit

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
He specifically picked out eggs that were not going to hatch anyway. The force guided him.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they say that they're her last eggs and she can't make more?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Folks just continually, wilfully ignoring the context around what made this more disturbing than the frog in Season 1, or Chewie roasting the Porg.

Good shit.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Whether they're fertilized or not has nothing to do with them being the last chance for her to continue her family line (I thought it was just family line and not species extinction). Playing it for laughs was frankly just annoying, odd, and kind of creepy. I mean, it's essentially making a joke of fertility issues.

I just can't get over this post.

Jun 18, 2020
I missed this, who is saying they want (a "literal" 50 year-old) Baby Yoda to die?
didn't the scan in the first episode say baby yoda was 50 years old? That's a long time to remain dumb. I would boot the kid out the airlock and be done with it.
I didn't love Baby Yoda messing all episode with that poor woman's last hope at having a family. It says a bit about the character development in the show that I was more empathetic toward this new character, and wanting Baby Yoda to get abandoned on the spider planet.