• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The Guardian said:
The listing reads: "Most Likely the Only BABY T-Rex in the World! It has a 15 FOOT long Body and a 21" SKULL with Serrated Teeth! This Rex was very a very dangerous meat eater. It's a RARE opportunity indeed to ever see a baby REX…"
Dinosaur fossil collectors 'price museums out of the market'

The skeleton, estimated to be 68m years old, was first discovered in 2013, on private land in Montana. It became the property of the man who discovered it, Alan Detrich, a professional fossil hunter. In 2017, Detrich lent the fossil to the University of Kansas Natural History Museum, where it was still on display when Detrich made the surprise decision to put it up for auction.

Analysis of the skeleton may help to settle a major debate in palaeontology over whether small Tyrannosaurs from North America are infants or should have the separate classification of Nanotyrannus. Such research may now be impossible with the fossil likely to end up in a private collection.

The Society of Vertebrate Palaeontology (SVP) has criticised both Detrich, who will be taking an important specimen outside the reach of scientific study, and the university, for helping to inflate the price of the fossil, acting as a shop window for professional buyers.

s-l1600.png

Source | Listing

Should era buy it!?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly? If I found dinosaur bones then I would have done the samething. Only difference is I would have sold it to researchers if possible.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should have been analyzing the fossils instead of just putting it out for display for two years.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
All fossils should be property of the state regardless where they are found.

Oct 28, 2017
It will be hilarious if it sells for more than the 5 million that a live dinosaur sold for in that Jurassic Park movie.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I feel for the researchers, but if the guy isn't rich already then I can't really fault him at all.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Trolling
I assume everyone saying they don't have a problem with this are Americans. In normal countries, fossils are considered common property of the citizens because they are historical objects.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd do the same.

Change my life for the better for forever or give those chicken bones so some strangers can figure out if there was a little chicken or a baby chicken? Oh boy, I'm gonna have to sleep on this one to think it through. 😂

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
$20 bucks says this dude saw what the dino bones at that Paris auction last year went for and saw $$$ signs every time he thought about what he found. Anyway I'll be mad at him if he gave the bones to the university but only as an exhibit item and not to study it. If he gave them to the university and told them do whatever and they choose to only exhibit it. Then that's on them.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Glad to see super progressive ResetEra going in with the "scientific evidence should bow to capitalism" takes.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
It's always awful when valuable fossils are sold off like this. These things are parts of our natural history and once they hit private collections more often than not we all lose. Those fossils will never be shared with the public or with scientists. Fossils should be made wards of the state and go to museums.

Also, for those people saying "why didn't the museum study them when they had the chance". Study often requires taking physical samples and the museum probably did not have this guy's permission to do so.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Glad to see super progressive ResetEra going in with the "scientific evidence should bow to capitalism" takes.
I'd support a legislative change to make fossils common property of state where they were discovered. However, I can't fault the guy for selling them for millions of dollars. That's not the type of money that normal people can turn down.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to insult people without quoting them to get your point across.

Which part was an insult? I'm sure unethical people in any country would be happy to sell off national treasures to greedy collectors, but only in America is that attitude celebrated quite so much, even in a supposedly progressive place like resetera.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Because fossils are of scientific interest and offer insight into our planets history, the rest of humanity should not be deprived of more knowledge just because some random person claims ownership.
I agree

Which part was an insult? I'm sure unethical people in any country would be happy to sell off national treasures to greedy collectors, but only in America is that attitude celebrated quite so much, even in a supposedly progressive place like resetera.
America is 300 million plus people. calling out all Americans is just lazy and stupid. It's a straw man argument.

Shiny Pokemon Hunter

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 5, 2019
I assume everyone saying they don't have a problem with this are Americans. In normal countries, fossils are considered common property of the citizens because they are historical objects.

In America something found on your land is yours, pretty nice tbqh

I think an exception might be valuable resources like minerals or oil though.