• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should babies be allowed in movie theaters?

• Yea sure, why not? nothing wrong with that.

Votes: 201 8.0%
  • Hell no, they always end up interrupting the movie at some point

Votes: 541 21.6%
  • not just babies but kids 5 and under as well!

Votes: 564 22.5%
  • babies should be relegated to a certain time period...but NOT EVENING showings!

Votes: 394 15.7%
  • I'm too drunk to notice

Votes: 28 1.1%
  • Special Screenings for babies and very young children.

Votes: 777 31.0%

• Total voters

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I'm all about gatekeeping against babies. Sorry, not sorry, babies!

Honestly they should have their own ecosystem where they don't emerge until they're at least 27.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Babies shouldn't be allowed in to movies like endgame. That is inconsiderate to other people plus the poor babies have no idea what is happening with all the super lot dialogue and explosions. That's gotta be traumatic for them

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
In the UK I think if you bring a baby into an movie above G then cinema staff are allowed to stop you.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain why people are banned from doing things like talking on their cellphone because it ruins the experience but still think a crying baby is ok? I understand it's hard for parents but I honestly dont see how having to deal with a baby at a theatre constantly going in and out is less stressful than staying at home and waiting until someone can watch the kid

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Babies shouldn't be at the theater for their own health in regards to the potential of hearing damage and possible mental stress from all the sensory input. Plus why waste the money when you'll potentially get kicked out or miss a good deal due to the inevitable of trying to calm them down or change their diaper?

But with kids, c'mon. I agree 2-4 year olds should probably not be there, but 5+ they are capable of behaving and can at least follow some basic stuff, even if it's just watching Spider-Man swing around. If they are a distraction then they can be removed, but until then some of you need to realize that your aversion to kids in general shouldn't keep parents at home, especially in films that are in many ways for them as well. Again, that's as kids start breaking the toddler stage and can understand some concept of etiquette and what they're watching, not toddlers and babies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Mastodon already gave us the answer to the baby in the movie theater conundrum

Did you bring your baby?
Babies don't watch this
Take the seed outside
Leave it in the streets
Run it over right after the show

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a little selfish to expect that everyone who has a kid has to basically either be in a financial bracket to where they can afford outside care to continue to enjoy what little societal contact and activities they enjoy or outright forego them until the kid's old enough to not be a mild bother. And I get it, it's not your kid why should you be bothered by the little hellspawn, well that little hellspawn's going to be paying your social security, your medicare or your society's facsimile of those programs, we're basically all in this together.
I'm sorry but if you can afford to buy a cinema ticket you can afford a child minder or babysitter. I honestly find it a selfish act to make your infant child (I'm talking 0-3 years) to a 3 hour plus movie so that you can be entertained but at the expense of your childs health and welfare and at the risk of ruining everyone else's experience at the cinema too.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It honestly surprises me to see the prevailing attitude of "fuck you, I have to get mine". Do the people to bring toddlers and babies take into the following into consideration:
  • That others parents in the same screening got someone to watch over their kids so as not to ruin the movie going experience of others.
  • That there are those who specifically sequestered time from their otherwise busy schedule to be able to watch the movie bereft of distractions.
  • That others have taken all advised guidelines and etiquettes into consideration so as not to be nuisance to others during screening.
I do not dislike toddlers or babies. They are going to do what they want to because they are not responsible adults. You know who are? Their parents. Life is all about making compromises as adults unless you are a selfish prick. So act like an adult with a shred of understanding and decency towards others who have done their share not to be a source of distraction in a place of optional entertainment that requires viewer attention.

Oct 25, 2017
Who the hell takes a baby to the cinema? Is this an American thing? It sure is a great idea to put a baby through 3 hours of explosions and loud noises.

Quite honestly never seen it in the UK. Not that I'm regularly going to kids films or anything.
Yup, I'm surprised to hear this is a thing. Never seen this happen in Finland, probably not allowed. They do have some special screenings that are advertised as "baby friendly" but those movies are rated as the equivalent of "G" and volume levels are a lot lower.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for Babies going to planes and restaurants whatever you sometimes need to eat or go somewhere and you can't leave your kid.

Movie theaters though nah fuck that saying as someone with a baby sister and have young relatives babies can't sit still and be quiet for two hours especially when its really loud so they can't even sleep. I'll be all for a special showtimes and screenings for kids but definitely not for opening weekends.

If your kid is like idk under 3 they sho

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm a new parent and I wouldn't even think to bring my baby to the theater. He probably won't be going to the movies with us until hes at least 5?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Do they turn the volume down at baby-screenings?

And while I voted for that; that seems like kind of a nightmare, a theater full of parents trying to keep their kids quiet lol

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Why is this 12 pages long? Should be common sense not to bring a baby to a movie. As a parent I would never do it and potentially ruin someone else experience that they paid for. Plus, I couldn't enjoy a movie with baby in tow.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It honestly surprises me to see the prevailing attitude of "fuck you, I have to get mine". Do the people to bring toddlers and babies take into the following into consideration:
  • That others parents in the same screening got someone to watch over their kids so as not to ruin the movie going experience of others.
  • That there are those who specifically sequestered time from their otherwise busy schedule to be able to watch the movie bereft of distractions.
  • That others have taken all advised guidelines and etiquettes into consideration so as not to be nuisance to others during screening.
I do not dislike toddlers or babies. They are going to do what they want to because they are not responsible adults. You know who are? Their parents. Life is all about making compromises as adults unless you are a selfish prick. So act like an adult with a shred of understanding and decency towards others who have done their share not to be a source of distraction in a place of optional entertainment that requires viewer attention.
Well-stated. I understand that parenting is difficult, but you sign up for a compromised experience the moment you decide to have a kid. Obviously, going out in public, you're going to run into people with noisy kids, but it blows my mind that people who go through the trouble of getting a babysitter as a means of securing some time out of the house and away from the baby err on the side of going through with the plans and having the baby tag along instead of doing the more considerate thing and just rescheduling. Yeah, it sucks that the fact that you have a baby throws a wrench in your plans, but that doesn't mean that the people whose babysitter plans didn't fall through and the people who decided to not have kids so as to not deal with such inconveniences deserve to have their plans compromised, too. It won't kill you to see the movie at a later date/time. Also, always have a backup plan.

That said, I'm totally fine with the idea of specially-designated screenings for younger kids and their parents. As others have mentioned, the volume levels can't be safe for younger kids (especially babies) in many cases.

Last edited:

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
They don't even have the hand eye coordination to clap yet, so what's the point?

I think this was right after an Avengers screening in the US.

NaughtyUnpleasantConure-small.gif

In all seriousness, if I ever saw a baby at a screening, I would just leave. Nothing good can come of that.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
No kids yet, and I don't remember any specific times where a baby was present or made watching an issue for me.

At Endgame this weekend, there was a guy with 4 kids, all over five but probably under 12. They did fine except 2 girls almost going out the emergency exit on the way to the restroom (my wife was also heading there and saved them/us) and then one of the boys doing almost the same thing 10 minutes later. Also one of the boys was restless and at some point started repeatedly stepping on what sounded like a plastic nacho tray toward the end, instead of moving the damn thing.

All that said, I'm not very sensitive to theater behavior but always prefer watching on the new 82" at home.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
My son is the best behaved baby I've had. (both my daughters were good babies/kids too)

He can go anywhere and he doesn't fuss or cause any trouble/interruptions. You could take the little guy to church or a theatrical performance and no-one would ever know he was there.

I still wouldn't take him to End Game (granted, I have no interest in seeing End Game in the theater anyway), that's way too much noise and crap that could scare the little dude.

I started taking my girls at 4. My youngest fell asleep in like the first 3 or 4 movies she went to. My oldest has always loved movies, and made it through everything since she was 4. I've made sure she has gone to every Star Wars release with me since she was born as a tradition (she's 11).

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've seriously never ever seen a baby in the cinema...and I've been going for more than 30 years. Tbh I am not even sure if it is allowed in the Netherlands (outside of special screenings, we do have those)

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I do recall a small child loudly reciting the alphabet towards the end of the Endgame screening I saw. Could definitely have done without it.

LakeShore

Oct 28, 2017
So just to address the OP first, please don't take what I say in an argumentative tone, I don't meant it to come across that way, but from a parent of a 6 month old would like to chuck my 2 cents against your first post.

Also, I'm 12 pages too late to get a decent first response, and I've not been through all 12 pages, so again sorry OP if other parents have quoted you to death, hopefully no harm done.

Ok, I went to 2 showings so far of end game and in both of them, there were babies, and these babies consistently at different points just did what babies do. It really frustrates me that people will bring their baby to a movie. The baby isn't really able to comprehend what is going on and will never remember this moment..
It's not really about the baby comprehending what is going on, but for the parents to still continue having a normal life. Just because my wife and I have a child, do we not get to go out to watch films on the big screen anymore..... moving onto the next point of your post....

It's super inconsiderate for the parents to not hire a baby sitter or have a family member watch the baby while they go see this movie. Am I wrong in thinking this? Like if you can't get someone to watch your baby, then dont go see the movie?.
Circumstances can be very different for everyone. Who's to say my child has grand parents to rely on? Who's to say my wife and I have brothers or sisters to look after our boy for 3 hours. To completely fuck with you OP, both my wifes and my parents are still alive, and we both have siblings ;)

But babies are different, some can be exclusively bottle fed with formula, some exclusively breast fed and hate bottles. Sadly my boy is the latter, he does not accept bottles even with expressed breast milk. If my son gets hungry and my wife is out, he shouts the house down till she gets in as he will not take a bottle of expressed milk from me, my wife, no one, he just only feeds from boob.

When you say don't go see the movie, that's the bit that ticks me off a bit, just because we've got a child we can't continue to try and live in some parts like we did before he was here? Don;'t go see the movie, or don't go to the restaurant and try enjoy a meal if your baby cries (which they do).

I don't have a baby and I haven't had a kid yet (thank god) but when I do have kids, maybe my opinion will change. Idk. but thinking about if I did have kids, I wouldnt want to take my baby to the theater. Not only would it be distracting for people around me but I feel like I would be too distracted and wouldnt be able to focus on the movie as well.
I think maybe that's the case. I was completely with you OP. Before my son was born I went to see Thor Ragnorak and saw a couple bring a baby in and I turned to my wife and said "For fuck sake!". It's difficult though, because as parents that did normal stuff before the baby was born, you need some normality to your life or you are both stuck in doors for fear of annoying people around you if you kid gets a bit fussy.

All that said though OP,. My wife and I are considerate to others. We saw Captain Marvel last Monday when we knew the showing would be dead at around 11:30am. There were 6 other people in the viewing sat miles away from us as we strategically chose seats away from people. Fortunately my 6 month old was good as gold in that showing. He got a bit chatty with some goo goo gaa gaa during some scenes, but he never cried and for the most part slept.

I saw Endgame Thursday with my wife and we took the gamble of leaving our son with my parents for the 3.5 hours we'd be away. We picked the earliest showing possible at 9:30am and made sure he was fed to the max with milk so we would be back in time for his lunch.

I do try to be considerate with these things, but I think to flat out say "don't go if you can't get a sitter" is wrong as it's not necessarily that easy, it's not the case of a sitter being an issue but my son just being a fussy little douche now and again. And all babies are different and from what I gather and certainly from experience, new parents just want some social normality in their life.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
I brought my oldest to her first movie when she was three. It was a 4pm showing of Trolls...

I don't think babies have a place in a movie theatre unless its a show experiance designed for parents with babies. Local cinemas around here have a "Stars and Strollers" showing of lots of movies usually on weekday mornings. The lights are less dim, the sound isnt as loud and if you go to one of these you know what to expect.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
yes they do. most also don't turn of the lights and just dim them a bit.

yeah i'm going to start at 5-ish too with some children's movies. everything earlier seems bizarre.

Yup. I also wouldn't tolerate horsing around or talking during the movie. They are older now (12,9,9) and still well behaved and we all really enjoy watching movies and such. Next up is Godzilla! LOLOL

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I loved Mommy and Me showings at the movie theater when my kid was younger, it was a good way to get out of the house. They kept the lights up just a skosh, lowered the volume somewhat, and it was understood that yes, there would be babies, you would be dealing with baby noises.

Now that she is older and can go to regular showings I would love it if I could just pay for a "Volume is 20% Lower" showing.

BrianAltano

Verified
Feb 2, 2018
San Francisco, California
New dad here. I still manage to see tons of movies without bringing my baby to the theater. If my wife and I can't get a sitter, I just go to the theater by myself or with friends and if she has any interest in the same movie, she gets to do the same thing with her friends the next day while I stay home and take care of the baby and we can talk about the movie together once both of us have seen it.

It's... really not that hard. I'd argue that most relationships need less co-dependence in general, though. Different story if you're a single parent, obviously, but even then, get a sitter, go to a special baby-focused screening, or wait until the movie is streaming at home. These are the sacrifices we make as parents. In exchange, we get to raise amazing little people in the world and watch their infectious joy on a daily basis.

And man, even if you have the coolest, quietest baby on earth you shouldn't be subjecting their delicate, growing sensory skills to three hours of aural and visual bombardment. That's wildly irresponsible, even in a totally empty theater.

Oct 26, 2017
No babies luckily at my screening, but once the clapping dam broke there was random smattering of claps for the rest of the movie which was awkward.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I would personally never bring a baby to a movie theater but I am not going to mad if someone did, sometimes you have no choice but to bring your child with you places.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously grt livid everytime this happens. We had a small kid cooing the entire movie...especially during quiet scenes. And they also brought their baby. Somebody got really fed up at one point and angrily shushed them.

Yeah fuck parents who do this. I understand not being able to get a sitter but 1. Why bring them on opening night and 2. Why the 1030pm showing!?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Why would anyone ever bring a baby to a cinema unless it was one of those 'baby screenings' with lowered sound and lights on?

Not only are you annoying your fellow moviegoers and depriving yourself of a good experience, pretty sure loud cinema sound isn't good for a baby.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I had a couple that brought their baby to see "Us" and they were sitting in-front. I was pretty furious by the end.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
I mean obviously if the baby starts crying you as a parent should take them outside to calm them down for a bit.

But a flat ban on babies is stupid. Maybe some people cannot afford to pay for a sitter or have any relatives they can leave a baby at.

Why is everyone so stupidly hostile, it's a bloody superhero movie for goodness sake.

I hear ya Gridlock, I just rolled my eyes at the OP and stopped reading it.

It's why I am leaving this forum after Pokémon Sword and Shield releases.

It's pretty bad here yeah.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
some people can't afford a babysitter so the obvious answer is damaging a toddlers hearing for the rest of their life with a double pack of sensory overload. good thinking.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, even as a guy with two kids I don't get it. I started taking my eldest to stuff like Pokemon or DragonBall movies when he was around 3 but that's it.

I can't remember the last time it happened to me luckily. Japanese theater etiquette at work I guess. Hah.

I guess I could understand the struggle if it were a single parent, but still why even do it. Your experience is gonna suck as a result as well.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I have been to so many movies where people bring babies, I have never been able to figure out why. I understand that you may not be able to get a sitter or maybe a family member cannot watch the baby but go see the movie another day when it is possible then. Don't ruin the experience for everyone else because you can ignore the crying.

Actually weirdly enough,. I've been to quite a few horror movies that parents bring babies and kids ~5 years old to. The newer Halloween reboot had so many children at it.