• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
You probably didn't explain it properly to her. It's not the seeing the baby that's important, you should have just told her you didn't want to risk irritating some strangers on a flight for a few hours. That's the important thing, I'm sure she would have understood.
Damn elderly...won't they ever think of the inconvenienced traveler...if only they would get off their lazy asses...OP wouldn't have to hear a baby cry on a plane...

Oct 25, 2017
You probably didn't explain it properly to her. It's not the seeing the baby that's important, you should have just told her you didn't want to risk irritating some strangers on a flight for a few hours. That's the important thing, I'm sure she would have understood.
Damn elderly...won't they ever think of the inconvenienced traveler...if only they would get off their lazy asses...OP wouldn't have to hear a baby cry on a plane...

"Yeah Mom-mom, get off that walker and suck it up with that macular degeneration. We don't want to inconvenience strangers on the plane."

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
PF0ZFY8.jpg

Just kidding this thread is bonkers

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting isn't it. Era presents as a bastion of tolerance and empathy but you only have to scratch the surface a tiny bit on certain topics and there is some really unpleasant stuff underneath.

I don't really like people referring to children as Hellspawn but there we go.
I wish.

I hate people with babies. I hate people that think they need to/deserve to/have to have them. The world is already grossly over-populated. Use birth control.

Btw I love babies themselves, but would be okay if humans just didn't procreate for 5 years. Give the planet a rest. Don't bring babies on planes, to restaurants, and sure as fuck not to movie theaters.
Now this, this is some bullshit and I'm not even a parent.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I was an awful ugly kid, but I was loved and kept off of airplanes

Only thing worse than a noisy kid is an ugly one. I can tolerate children crying but having my eyes offended is magnitudes worse. I hope your parents acted responsibly and were respectful of the public by keeping you locked away out of sight so as not to upset the likes of me.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
I've traveled numerous time with my three children and never had an issue. Even flew 8 hours with twins on my lap. I had plenty of people who were willing to help out and were very accommodating. Kids were fine and had a great time playing with the handful of mature adults that were into the kids. Sounds like OP is the problem here, not the kids.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I've traveled numerous time with my three children and never had an issue. Even flew 8 hours with twins on my lap. I had plenty of people who were willing to help out and were very accommodating. Kids were fine and had a great time playing with the handful of mature adults that were into the kids. Sounds like OP is the problem here, not the kids.

That's been my experience, too. Lots of people who were very understanding of how much stress parents put on themselves to not bother other people, realizing the abject horror of what it's like to have a screaming child you cannot do anything about in the middle of a sky bus.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Threads like these always scare me tbh. As a parent, it's mad that there are those out there who think of kids a parasites and rage when a 6 month old cries.

If you're that vile a person then do us all a favor and stay in your basement. I'm sure Amazon can deliver your games down there if you ask.

That's been my experience, too. Lots of people who were very understanding of how much stress parents put on themselves to not bother other people, realizing the abject horror of what it's like to have a screaming child you cannot do anything about in the middle of a sky bus.

Honestly, the unadulterated rage and overwhelming hatred and loathing that so many here appear to have deep in their hearts is kind of scary. These are not healthy members of society.

Thankfully it seems to be all talk. Any time I've been around crying children in public, all I've seen is other people going out of their way to see if they can help. Like, the most common reaction for normal people when they are next to a crying child is to try to play with it, make faces, distract them, etc.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like thread is a great extension to a thread I posted on the old forums, "Why are parents so boring?"

Breeders are the worst :) We'll probably become breeders in 3~ years and we'll become the worst.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the unadulterated rage and overwhelming hatred and loathing that so many here appear to have deep in their hearts is kind of scary. These are not healthy members of society.

Thankfully it seems to be all talk. Any time I've been around crying children in public, all I've seen is other people going out of their way to see if they can help. Like, the most common reaction for normal people when they are next to a crying child is to try to play with it, make faces, distract them, etc.
Exactly, this is what NORMAL people in a functioning society should do. That being said, Era members don't necessarily represent "normal" society, for the most part.

vitamind

Nov 1, 2018

I'm guessing 90% is hyperbole. Now, dealing with parents/their kids in a school setting is another type of hell I see.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
I gotta wonder how different this thread would be if people were pissing on certain disabled folks for being too loud or noisey.

Into the cargo hold I guess lol

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn as someone with 8 month old twins. They can barely survive a car ride through the mountains due to their ears popping so I doubt a flight would go well at all. We probably won't fly until they are a little older and can communicate better. On the other hand, just throw some head phones on. I fly A LOT and even some red-eyes with babies and it doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes parents have to fly with their kids, no choice. But taking newborns on an international vacation? Not necessary.

We're hyper aware of being disruptive to other people at restaurants, etc. We pick places that are kid friendly, already loud, or have large outdoor spaces (breweries are perfect) so as not to bother other people. If they start melting down we leave. There's no doing this on a plane so that worries me and I would be super uncomfortable if I couldn't console them if their ears were popping, etc, since I know people are trying to sleep, etc.

But, alas, this is ERA so let's go even further and just ban kids outright because any discussion about kids here ends in the fact that parents are selfish assholes destroying the world by having kids.
Welcome to the twin parent club, I also have twins who just celebrated their 4th birthday. The first year or two is hard, REALLY hard. Believe me, it gets easier and much more rewarding the older they get. You get double the love and get to watch them grow up alongside each other. It's so rewarding, you're going to love it! I flew with them when they had just turned 2 and it was tough, but everyone on the flight was super helpful and totally understood the tough situation we were in.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
This has definitely been a fun thread.

I sympathize with parents dealing with screaming babies on planes. However there's other parents that think their children do no wrong despite being monsters on the plane. Those parents can fuck right off.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the twin parent club, I also have twins who just celebrated their 4th birthday. The first year or two is hard, REALLY hard. Believe me, it gets easier and much more rewarding the older they get. You get double the love and get to watch them grow up alongside each other. It's so rewarding, you're going to love it! I flew with them when they had just turned 2 and it was tough, but everyone on the flight was super helpful and totally understood the tough situation we were in.

Haha thanks, it's definitely been nuts, but manageable. They are starting to climb and pull themselves up on everything so it's a full-time job just spotting them and making sure they don't take too many dingers. Not too much interaction between them yet, although the girl tries to interact with the boy on occasion, but he's just on a mission to climb everything possible no matter what is in his way, including her.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018

Is their an official Era twin club? I'm a SAHD to 10 month old identical twin boys and would love to join. The hardest part has been feeling alone in all of this. I've been told it gets easier, but man, it can so hard. It's like I always feel like such a failure, it's like im constantly putting out fires and new ones keep popping up and I am losing it.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The OP and a few others were really funny. I enjoyed it.

The ones who jumped in and were actually serious with their criticism, though...woof.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
Haha thanks, it's definitely been nuts, but manageable. They are starting to climb and pull themselves up on everything so it's a full-time job just spotting them and making sure they don't take too many dingers. Not too much interaction between them yet, although the girl tries to interact with the boy on occasion, but he's just on a mission to climb everything possible no matter what is in his way, including her.

I can relate, the climbing, the dingers, my boys are constantly fighting over toys and attention and I have to play constant referee or they pull each other's hair all day. Trying to prevent both from falling over all the time, it's crazy. They will start interacting more and more and it will be adorable, but then it will also be crazy at times.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Is their an official Era twin club? I'm a SAHD to 10 month old identical twin boys and would love to join. The hardest part has been feeling alone in all of this. I've been told it gets easier, but man, it can so hard. It's like I always feel like such a failure, it's like im constantly putting out fires and new ones keep popping up and I am losing it.
No there's not a Era club, just meant it as a figure of speech. I had one child prior to the twins and he was an absolute nightmare baby for about a year. He was super colicky, cried all the time, couldn't take him anywhere, plus my wife was caring for her mother who was dying of cancer. I can say that my oldest is now a happy 6 year old. My mother told me that colicky babies make for better kids when they get older and I firmly believe that.

Hang in there and take it one day at a time. Check on Facebook, as I know there is a mothers/fathers of multiples group that my wife and I joined to talk about parenting twins. It was nice to be able to meet up with other families and bounce ideas off each other. Hang in there, it really, really does get easier when they get older and start playing with each other.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017

There is a ParentERA OT where a couple of us have twins of varying ages. I have it watched so if you ever post in there I'll respond! I can't imagine watching them 24/7. I'm lucky enough to have a nanny so I can go to work and escape the chaos for 8 hours a day haha. Weekends are no longer "relaxing." Plenty of just general venting going on in that thread so feel free to just blog there haha.

www.resetera.com

ParentERA |OT| What To Expect When You’re Not Sleeping

Welcome to ParentERA. Our gathering place for all things kids(current and future)! Whether it be someone in need of advice or someone in a scary situation looking for reassurance we are here for each other. This is a judgement free zone. We are all trying our best to be great parents so please...

Hang in there and take it one day at a time. Check on Facebook, as I know there is a mothers/fathers of multiples group that my wife and I joined to talk about parenting twins. It was nice to be able to meet up with other families and bounce ideas off each other. Hang in there, it really, really does get easier when they get older and start playing with each other.

Also this, my wife is in a Twin Parenting group on Facebook for the local area and they are a big help. But they also can be a little crazy with their conspiracy theories and helicoptering.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

I don't have twins but I do have a difficult 3 year old boy. One thing to keep in mind is that this kind of stuff, and the stuff they'll be getting into later (tantrums, whining, disobeying, even hitting and throwing) are totally normal. Obviously these behaviors need to be dealt with, but it is normal. Other parents around you are going to present their kids as if they're perfect little angels, and this might really get you down and make you think of yourself as a failure, but always remember that these parents are most likely exaggerating. I don't know if that is helpful at all, but the feeling of inadequacy that you described is something I went through before I realized that these other parents were basically just fronting about how calm and obedient their kids were/are.

Tedesco!

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 30, 2017

Parent of twins, here. Fun story: the girls are two years old and were just having a crappy day. Unfortunately we had to fly, and the shift in pressure did not agree with one of my daughters. She was crying for the duration of the first leg of the flight. It sucked. Of course it caused the other daughter to get emotional and sure enough both were crying on the plane. We are about 15 minutes from landing...I see the sweet salvation that comes with exiting the plane and letting my kids (the twins and their older brother) stretch their legs...I can taste the overpriced pretzel at Auntie Anne's that I plan on eating...I can almost feel the bliss that a 1.5 hour layover will provide...and then my daughter vomits all over me. By some miracle none of it landed on the seat or floor. Just my lap.

I learned an important lesson that day: when traveling with toddlers pack an extra pair of shorts or be forced to buy women's yoga pants at Love Field because those were the only pants on sale.

Oct 27, 2017

Twin parent here too. Two non identical boys. Are you at home alone for most of the day with yours? Man I'd say that's tough. I'm not a SAHD but I can relate.

We're currently planning a holiday, I hope we end up sitting near some of the idiots in this thread on the plane.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I posit that every Era member should be banned from every flight except Mandrake Air.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
Twin parent here too. Two non identical boys. Are you at home alone for most of the day with yours? Man I'd say that's tough. I'm not a SAHD but I can relate.

We're currently planning a holiday, I hope we end up sitting near some of the idiots in this thread on the plane.

Hey wow, there seems to be quite a number of us twin parents on here! Yeah I'm solo with them from 7:30 ish till 4:30 ish mon - fri. I had no previous kid experience or anything so it's been a trial by fire. Twins seem really tough especially early on stay at home parent or not! It's a lot even with another person and it never seems to end. I hope it all goes well, this will be our first flight with them so I'm nervous, hopefully your trip goes well with yours. I'm gonna check out that ParentEra thread on here when I get a chance.