• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I figured that out when I finished the level. It just seemed weird to me that setting the rule twice had twice the effect. I think Shift might be the only attribute that does this, although maybe Move does as well? I haven't tried. I still have a few levels outstanding so who knows
"Move and shift" works the same way. In my head it's basically a function within a function f(g(x))

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're talking about Ruins? The extra level is notoriously difficult but oh so satisfying. Generally speaking though it's still considered "fair."
Yes and I found an absolutely crazy thing that doesn't even factor into the solution.

KEKE IS YOU and KEKE IS MOVE at the same time makes you move 2 spaces at once... I said holy shit

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I figured that out when I finished the level. It just seemed weird to me that setting the rule twice had twice the effect. I think Shift might be the only attribute that does this, although maybe Move does as well? I haven't tried. I still have a few levels outstanding so who knows

Yep. I have done it with MOVE on an earlier level. I don't know if I used it to solve anything though.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Returned to the game yesterday and started plowing through the hard levels. It's so much fun. When I figured Out at Sea and Broken Playground I was just amazed. 170 levels solved, of which I had to look up the solution of 8 and hints for 10 :(

Btw, if anyone comes here, there's a really great site which is this:

baba is hint

Gives really simple, non-spoilery hints for every level, in 3 tiers, and they're pretty helpful stuff while letting you figure out pretty much everything.
For example, one hint for Floatiest Platforms was:
"You don't die because Baba steps off the platform. You die because Baba is Lonely."
And this led me to figure out what I had to do.

Nov 8, 2017
Also bought it this sale. Early on and it's pretty tough but I am loving it! Never played anything quite like, there was a lot of thought and effort put into each level.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
I just impulse bought this on the eShop. I watched like 20 seconds of trailer footage and was immediately sold on the concept.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus christ, this game is amazing.

After the very first level with mixing different text fragments I was blown away. Such a great concept. Holy crap. I think this will dethrone Opus Magnum as my favourite logic/puzzle game. Fantastic little thing. I also love the jolly atmosphere and "low effort" visuals.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Is there any way to disable the noise made when moving Baba aside from setting all sound effects to 0? Really hate that sound but have been curious about this game on and off since release

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
Sorry to bump this thread, but is the game available in the japanese eshop ? I cannot find it but I don't know whose fault it is given how barebones the eshop is...

Oct 25, 2017
So after this came back up on GMTK, I remembered that I hadn't actually finished everything in this game and went back in to get everything done in Meta that I hadn't finished yet.

Then I got really frustrated because I couldn't find the last orb and looked it up. As it turns out it was the FIRST orb I was actually missing. I would literally have never thought to go back to that level if I hadn't looked it up.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing for about 10 hours now. About 1 hour of that time has been spent on Prison which I have finally figured out. What a feeling!

Loving the game but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do exactly what I did with Snakebird and Stephen's Sausage Roll; hit a wall and eventually stop playing.

Until then though...

BABA
IS
WIN

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So was on science pond for about... 4 months. I've been playing randomly and finally did it... What an amazing feeling that was!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Mapping out what you can and can't do in terms of the game logic seems to help e.g. some blocks are against walls and therefore cannot be moved. It's still rock hard though.

I played this for like a week at release and totally dropped it, so now coming back a year later after watching the Game Maker's Toolkit video on it and it's so good!

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
Maritime Adventures is the first level that I couldn't beat on my own. Had to look a the solution for this one.
At that point I did't even know that
IS_MOVE and IS_YOU lets you walk two tiles at once
. I mean it's not needed to beat the level, but still.

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. This is the best game ever. Saw some episodes of a let's play every now and then, which were really entertaining. Finally decided to buy it just now.

Baba is amazing.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Finally picked this up. It's real good. Some of the puzzles have stumped me for days. At about 65 solved now. Tiny isle is breaking me.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
So I'm completely stuck on Pillar Yard and Submerged Ruins.

I've basically come nowhere and I already find it incredibly frustrating 😅

Not asking for help, but seriously why so hard so fast? It's like I can do so many things but none of them help me win 😂

edit: I looked up the solution to Submerged Ruins and immediately refunded it. I don't have the patience 😂

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
85 puzzles solved. Some of them with the fewest possibilities feel the most frustrating. I still haven't figured out tiny isle 🤦‍♂️

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Been playing this game on and off since buying it last week and have hit a wall.

I just can't figure out Evaporating River.. It's driving me nuts and is making me feel stupid.

Maybe I just need to move on for a bit because maybe I have got tunnel vision at the moment or something.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing this game on and off since buying it last week and have hit a wall.

I just can't figure out Evaporating River.. It's driving me nuts and is making me feel stupid.

Maybe I just need to move on for a bit because maybe I have got tunnel vision at the moment or something.
Move on. Come back to it, and you'll figure it out. Like with any problem-solving endeavor, often a break is best.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Move on. Come back to it, and you'll figure it out. Like with any problem-solving endeavor, often a break is best.

Yeah I guess I should. It's just that most other puzzles so far only took a little while before I knew what to do.

So far I have grasped the objectives pretty fast and only had to take a little time to find out how to complete that objective.

In the case of Evaporating River I thought I figured out the objective but I just can't find a way to do it.
I probably am too focused on the objective that I had in mind that I now can't see a clear picture.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I guess I should. It's just that most other puzzles so far only took a little while before I knew what to do.

So far I have grasped the objectives pretty fast and only had to take a little time to find out how to complete that objective.

In the case of Evaporating River I thought I figured out the objective but I just can't find a way to do it.
I probably am too focused on the objective that I had in mind that I now can't see a clear picture.
I know the feeling. I completed 85 or so puzzles iirc. Most were pretty breezy (though always clever). But a handful of them were brutal and took me multiple days to figure out.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
That one took me forever. But like with most of the other times I got stuck (like Prison or whatever the level is called), it's because there was a rule or property that I wasn't aware of.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
That one took me forever. But like with most of the other times I got stuck, it's because there was a rule or property that I wasn't aware of.

I know the feeling. I completed 85 or so puzzles iirc. Most were pretty breezy (though always clever). But a handful of them were brutal and took me multiple days to figure out.

Somehow I feel better knowing that it's not out of the ordinary to take forever lol.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, way too early into this game they make you
solve a puzzle by creating a contradictory rule.
Just cruel lol. When I figured it out I went "you bastard" and promptly kept playing.

So . . . Baba Is You is good.

That said, I do feel a bit like I'm brute forcing solutions instead of understanding the mechanics. I'm guessing that's pretty usual when you're getting started? Does that feeling change to "understanding"?

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
So, way too early into this game they make you
solve a puzzle by creating a contradictory rule.
Just cruel lol. When I figured it out I went "you bastard" and promptly kept playing.

So . . . Baba Is You is good.

That said, I do feel a bit like I'm brute forcing solutions instead of understanding the mechanics. I'm guessing that's pretty usual when you're getting started? Does that feeling change to "understanding"?

Absolutely to your last question. The puzzles become complex and brute forcing at least for me just ends up in lots of time wasted, and dead ends. A good tip I found that helps me is to think of the goal and work from there. The "ladder" sort of builds from there to the start.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely to your last question. The puzzles become complex and brute forcing at least for me just ends up in lots of time wasted, and dead ends. A good tip I found that helps me is to think of the goal and work from there. The "ladder" sort of builds from there to the start.
Gotcha. I've been trying to work out things from the (seeming) solution, but I do keep running into moments where some other option just works better. For example, I just solved two puzzles the same way
(pushing text blocks into Water-IS-Sink blocks, and I'm not sure that was the goal at all. Kinda feel like I may have missed whatever the game meant to teach me there? Or, maybe I did it right and that was the lesson?)

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Gotcha. I've been trying to work out things from the (seeming) solution, but I do keep running into moments where some other option just works better. For example, I just solved two puzzles the same way
(pushing text blocks into Water-IS-Sink blocks, and I'm not sure that was the goal at all. Kinda feel like I may have missed whatever the game meant to teach me there? Or, maybe I did it right and that was the lesson?)

What's the name of the levels?

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Bridge Building and Bridge Building?

So you mean you pushed the text into the water, causing the text to sink into the water?

That's definitely the intended way to solve the level. It basically teaches you that the TEXT has all the properties of PUSH and interacts with the world in a lot of the same ways.

For most of the early levels, the game restricts you in such a way that there is usually only one solution.

But if you feel like you aren't absorbing the lessons, it might be helpful to take a break. I took a literal two-year break from the game and feel like I'm absorbing a lot more than the first time, lol.

Edit: I mistyped something in the first line, it's been corrected.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So you mean you pushed the text into the water, causing the text to sink into the water?

That's definitely the intended way to solve the level. It basically teaches you that the TEXT has all the properties of PUSH and interacts with the world in a lot of the same ways.

For most of the early levels, the game restricts you in such a way that there is usually only one solution.

But if you feel like you aren't absorbing the lessons, it might be helpful to take a break. I took a literal two-year break from the game and feel like I'm absorbing a lot more than the first time, lol.

Edit: I mistyped something in the first line, it's been corrected.
Gotcha. I felt like that was intentional the first time, but since both maps were solved the same way, I thought I was missing something. Good to know!

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
Any word on if/when this is coming to PlayStation? I could also get it on iOS but I suspect I would prefer to play it with a controller.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I know Baba is You is not the hot zeitgeist, but, um...holy shit.

Even ignoring all user-generated content, there appear to be two new "campaigns" made by the developer. I have no idea how long or expansive the second one ("Museum") is, but the first is...incredible.

I've beaten fifty levels and there appear to be at *least* a hundred at this point. Most/many feature entirely new words and mechanics that end up being an utter delight. Squint your eyes a bit and this is Baba is You 2. I'm absolutely loving it.

I think, after thinking about it for awhile, that Baba is You is the best pure puzzle game made. Portal and Portal 2 are amazing for reasons others than the pure nature of the puzzling, Stephen's Sausage Roll doesn't have the breadth of mechanics, and The Witness was made by a fucking tool.

Play this update y'all.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
Even ignoring all user-generated content, there appear to be two new "campaigns" made by the developer. I have no idea how long or expansive the second one ("Museum") is, but the first is...incredible.

I've beaten fifty levels and there appear to be at *least* a hundred at this point.
there's i think 85 levels in museum and 152 in new adventures atm?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I know Baba is You is not the hot zeitgeist, but, um...holy shit.

I've beaten fifty levels and there appear to be at *least* a hundred at this point. Most/many feature entirely new words and mechanics that end up being an utter delight. Squint your eyes a bit and this is Baba is You 2. I'm absolutely loving it.

I think, after thinking about it for awhile, that Baba is You is the best pure puzzle game made. Portal and Portal 2 are amazing for reasons others than the pure nature of the puzzling, Stephen's Sausage Roll doesn't have the breadth of mechanics, and The Witness was made by a fucking tool.

Play this update y'all.
Baba is You is my favorite puzzle game. I don't know if I've played enough to make a judgment on "best ever made." But of those I've played it's the one that makes me smile the most, and wonder how the heck these ideas came about.