• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, no. He's not broadcasting their message, unless you consider people scouring his follows to be broadcasting. He has certain bad beliefs. He keeps it to himself. Ok. Move on.
That's not how it works.

When you have a platform, a follow of someone like Shapiro whose entire precense is a political message is an endorsement.

When your platform is large enough, that endorsement broadcasts.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know about Prat and his beliefs. I tried looking into what's new that's tending big couldn't find it. What happened? Something new I missed....???

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Screenshot_20201020-215333_Instagram.jpg

Login • Instagram

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Screenshot_20201020-215311_Instagram.jpg

Login • Instagram

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Strange how an apolitical person would be following 2 republican challengers for congress

Must be a strange coincidence

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
If you consider him defending himself in the most neutral way possible broadcasting, idk what to tell you. He goes out of his way to not namedrop them either, from that quote. And like, had no one poked him out of the blue, that event would have never happened.

I don't really care to spend more time defending this dude. I honestly find his views disgusting, but he's not actively rallying for the oppression of minorities, and has gone on the record in the opposite. So idk. Bigger fish.
He wasn't poked out of the blue. He was preaching at a big entertainment event and was called out for where he's coming from with that language. His church is shit and someone called out that he doesn't consider what they do to be a dealbreaker. He then defended and denied they are terrible when they factually are and are indefensible.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Literally in the OP my dude
OK, I am not being dumb.. What caused all these actors to come to his defense. OP doesn't say that. Him following shitty people is the response tweet to his defence tweet. It's been a long day here, I am obviously missing something very straightforward... Sorry not trying it piss anyone off but can someone just summarize what he did now?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you consider him defending himself in the most neutral way possible broadcasting, idk what to tell you. He goes out of his way to not namedrop them either, from that quote. And like, had no one poked him out of the blue, that event would have never happened.

I don't really care to spend more time defending this dude. I honestly find his views disgusting, but he's not actively rallying for the oppression of minorities, and has gone on the record in the opposite. So idk. Bigger fish.
Dismissing and normalising what they do, with the platform he has... you don't see how that is incredibly harmful?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
He wasn't poked out of the blue. He was preaching at a big entertainment event and was called out for where he's coming from with that language. His church is shit and someone called out that he doesn't consider what they do to be a dealbreaker. He then defended and denied they are terrible when they factually are and are indefensible.
The article does not mention this explicitly. I had to go into the next article about his actual Colbert appearance. Sure, I take it back then. Dude is trash. Thanks for following up with me.

Side note: Do we do anything about Colbert, who gave him that platform? Surely the topics and script were vetted beforehand.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
OK, I am not being dumb.. What caused all these actors to come to his defense. OP doesn't say that. Him following shitty people is the response tweet to his defence tweet. It's been a long day here, I am obviously missing something very straightforward... Sorry not trying it piss anyone off but can someone just summarize what he did now?
Oh

Yeah idk he didn't show up for the Biden thing and his history with the homophobic church Hillsong prolly led to people calling Pratt out and then all those actors decided to defend the dude and say he's apolitical.

Extreme gaslighting basically

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
he supports and publicly gives good PR to a factually horrible anti-LGBT church, he absolutely is active on political feeds, he reps Don't Tread on Me gear, has blue lives matter lingo on some posts, and has never shown up for helping those less privileged than him in fundamentally positive movements.

he didn't just miss an event and accidentally follow dozens of grimy bigoted uber conservative personalities and politicians.

you don't follow a nazi and say anti-LGBT actions are not a dealbreaker for no reason

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
From what I gathered a bunch of MCU actors are at a Biden/Harris fundraiser. Pratt is absent. People noticed. Ruffalo caped up for Chris and is like "he's just not political he totally doesn't support Trump." People thought it was sus and looked at his public Instagram where he follows a bunch of hateful, alt right political figures. Twitter responses. MCU actors continue to cape.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh

Yeah idk he didn't show up for the Biden thing and his history with the homophobic church Hillsong prolly led to people calling Pratt out and then all those actors decided to defend the dude and say he's apolitical.

Extreme gaslighting basically
Tnx. So it was nothing new.. he has shitty beliefs and rightly getting called out for it. New or not

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The article does not mention this explicitly. I had to go into the next article about his actual Colbert appearance. Sure, I take it back then. Dude is trash. Thanks for following up with me.

Side note: Do we do anything about Colbert, who gave him that platform? Surely the topics and script were vetted beforehand.
Colbert is a staunch anti-Trump liberal type. Can be one of those "unify" types but often happily pokes at conservatives. His whole Colbert Show was satire of Fox News Uber Nationalism.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Screenshot_20201020-215333_Instagram.jpg

Login • Instagram

Screenshot_20201020-215311_Instagram.jpg

Login • Instagram

Strange how an apolitical person would be following 2 republican challengers for congress

Must be a strange coincidence
Oh no, isn't that first dude the "Hitler Tourist" guy?

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He's following Ben Shapiro, my dude. Ben Shapiro.
I mean it only proves my point further, he is rightly getting called out for it... Ok this is new stuff, all the people he is following but it only came up because people called out his past and celebs tried to defend him THEN more skeletons from closet were unearthed.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Sigh.

There is no defending the fact that he follows so many garbage people. Pratt himself might be one of the nicest people in Hollywood and he himself might not have bigoted views but there's no excuse for following people like Ben Shapiro.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
These dummies defending him thinking that Twitter is dragging him for being Christian or conservative need to do their fucking homework.

Cheadle and Evans, the only two who seemed to speak out for Brie- Evans championing her as Marvel and praising her acting in every interview, Cheadle directly calling out the YouTube slime and the body language analysis, I kind of hope they stay out of this one.

I believe Pratt is very kind to fans and staff, I believe he's their friend but jesus Downey. Look at the fucking source of people's anger before opening your mouths.

Sigh.

There is no defending the fact that he follows so many garbage people. Pratt himself might be one of the nicest people in Hollywood and he himself might not have bigoted views but there's no excuse for following people like Ben Shapiro.

Yup.

One and done. "apolitical" fucking stop it.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh.

Pretty sure he does have bigoted views. It's like I said, Pence is likely the friendliest dude in person. But, that doesn't mean he doesn't think you are disgusting in private, a sinner against God, and he won't work to take away your rights.

I know plenty of Pratt type Christians who are all smiles but in private, "pray for your soul" and believe the country is becoming overrun by immigrants.

Oct 27, 2017
This OP is horrible - I scrolled through two pages with no context for the OP, I had to go googling Chris Pratt on Google News to find what the actual incident was that prompted the reaction.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Following Nazis isn't defensible just because you're nice and starred in a Marvel film.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
That's not how it works.

When you have a platform, a follow of someone like Shapiro whose entire precense is a political message is an endorsement.

When your platform is large enough, that endorsement broadcasts.
Perhaps moot at this point, but I would disagree with this. How many celebrity sponsorship deals do you know of that are just a follow? No post, no broadcast, just a silent follow. A follow is like the wettest of farts re: endorsement and signal boosting.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh.

His kind of religious beliefs pretty much makes him a blatant bigot. I have never viewed him as a nice guy at all. Just because he played a funny lovable character on tv doesnt make him a nice guy, This guy is a piece of shit and I hope this gets enough traction that Disney has to do something,

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Following Nazis isn't defensible just because you're nice and starred in a Marvel film.
I work with a whole bunch of right wing nuts who are nice enough to me in the office but being nice to me isn't evidence of their good character. I'm guessing a bunch of them are probably chiming in because they can't pretend that they didn't see it and have to still work with him but still.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps moot at this point, but I would disagree with this. How many celebrity sponsorship deals do you know of that are just a follow? No post, no broadcast, just a silent follow. A follow is like the wettest of farts re: endorsement and signal boosting.
This isn't celebrity sponsorship deals, please drop that strawman.

This is a person following overtly political people and politicians that have an obvious ideological link and tone.

People check who famous people follow... it is broadcast... hence this thread.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
His kind of religious beliefs pretty much makes him a blatant bigot. I have never viewed him as a nice guy at all. Just because he played a funny lovable character on tv doesnt make him a nice guy, This guy is a piece of shit and I hope this gets enough traction that Disney has to do something,

Disney isn't going to "do something" because he follows shitty people on Instagram. There is absolutely zero chance of that.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude is apolitical in the same way proud boys just really like doing the "ok" sign for some reason.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Must Republicans are not "mean" in the way they conduct themselves socially or in their careers.

Being nice is irrelevant.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Must Republicans are not "mean" in the way they conduct themselves socially or in their careers.

Being nice is irrelevant.
Exactly.

And you do not follow those kinds of people unless you agree with enough of what they say and do, and the worst shit they say or do doesn't turn you off.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Anyone remotely supporting the Party of Trump or following Trump Lackeys in the year 2020 deserves zero sympathy, compassion, understanding, or any other fucking thing besides pure contempt and being shunned for wanting a racist, misogynist, homophobic, anti-science bunch of dumbasses in power.

Glad I don't like the MCU but it sucks to know this fool is making mountains of cash while being such a spineless piece of shit. At least own up to it, don't hide behind your weird friends and "I'm not political". Come out and say "I support white supremacy".