• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I still need to try the first two. Gameplay looks interesting enough but I really like the backgrounds from the videos I've seen

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a Mega Man fan should I be playing these games? I don't really want to bother if they're a lesser version of the Zero/ZX franchise.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
As a Mega Man fan should I be playing these games? I don't really want to bother if they're a lesser version of the Zero/ZX franchise.
As someone who is also a Mega Man fan, it's definitely not a 'lesser' version of Zero/ZX, but the base gameplay is much more reliant on mechanics outside of just shooting or slashing. In the case of Gunvolt, it's the targeting system, where you can shoot various types of bullets, but they're weak on their own, and real damage is done through sending electricity to the targets you hit while the target is active. They expire after a short time and so you'll want to be putting new targets on enemies regularly, but that's the basic construct.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Ive only played the first one on 3ds and couldnt get through it. I just didnt like the combat at all. Ive thought about trying it again to see if it will click because i want to like gunvolt lol

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
Inafune is back to do some combat design
EbfXzbtX0AYnUzA

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The Gunvolt games are very much geared more towards either speedrunning or comboing for score and some people have a hard time doing that because they just want to play through once and be done. I feel they just get better and better with each playthrough.

It's also a good idea to take off the accessory they give you that makes you invincible for a second as long as you have energy charge. The games are way too easy with that on.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I still find it weird how the PS4 ports of 1 and 2 are available everywhere but not on the brazilian PSN.

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
I have been waiting for Gunvolt to give me a sword and I hope this game really delivers.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The movement and ranking systems definitely scream MMZ, as does design decisions like the stage select, but outside of that, it really feels like it's trying to do it's own thing.

I'd say MM fans that loved optimizing level runs in the Zero series are probably most likely to enjoy the series.

Almasy

Oct 25, 2017
YEEEEEES

Now to play the wait game. I hope it is released at Q1 2021.

I'm really hyped for this.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Still in retro pixelated look, I see. I'd love them to try 2.5D similar to Megaman X7-8 someday.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Hell yes! I've been waiting for a long time since the 2nd game's cliffhanger ending. Hopefully, this and Gunvolt 2 make it on to steam like the first game and Luminous Avenger iX.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Whoa! That's hype. I was debating whether or not to buy the Striker Pack for PS4 (physical), which should be out soon unless it's delayed even further. I'll take this as a sign and do what must be done.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I'm excited; I really like the series.

I'd suggest that any fan of action platformers give the Gunvolt series a try. They generally aren't hard games if you just want to clear the stages, but they also encourage the player to really step up their game in pursuit of a high score. More than anything, I find Gunvolt and Copen to be really fun characters to control and fight with.

Oct 30, 2017

Probably not if you don't care about high-scores. At least the first one wasn't much fun to just play normally. I briefly tried to do the high score thing but getting the highest rank seemed impossible so I lost motivation. I think there were some items that made it easier but... I forgot the specifics.

Haven't played 2 so I can't comment on that.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
so glad to see Inti and this series still so healthy and popping out regular games. love to see it

here's to hoping this is the Mega Man Zero 3 of the Gunvolt franchise! could be amazing

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
The previous two were great on 3DS, I'm in for this, though I'd like to play Luminous Avenger too before it.
No Copen, eh? The new character with melee combat could be interesting

currytan

Sep 6, 2018
Hell yes! I've been waiting for a long time since the 2nd game's cliffhanger ending. Hopefully, this and Gunvolt 2 make it on to steam like the first game and Luminous Avenger iX.

Gunvolt 2 is already available on steam luckily!

store.steampowered.com

Save 60% on Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 on Steam

The ultra-refined 2D side-scrolling action you remember from "Azure Striker Gunvolt" is recharged and better than ever! In Gunvolt 2, series anti-hero Copen joins the fray as a playable character! Copy abilities from defeated boss characters and use them as your own!

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
They're not megaman games at all. Outside of picking your stages.

Eh, maybe not classic Mega Man but it's clearly a spiritual successor series to Mega Man, like X or Z were, just with legally distinct characters.

Probably not if you don't care about high-scores. At least the first one wasn't much fun to just play normally. I briefly tried to do the high score thing but getting the highest rank seemed impossible so I lost motivation. I think there were some items that made it easier but... I forgot the specifics.

Haven't played 2 so I can't comment on that.

2 and Chronicles were more forgiving in that regard.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Great news.

Whoa! That's hype. I was debating whether or not to buy the Striker Pack for PS4 (physical), which should be out soon unless it's delayed even further. I'll take this as a sign and do what must be done.
Mine changed to getting it ready and arriving by Tuesday so it looks like it's coming.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Kirin's slash making her jump makes me very concerned. Half the fun of playing as Zero in X4+ is the 3 hit combo.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
No Copen in the trailer. I get he had his own spin-off, but still...