• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Course. Tech industry in general has serious sexism problems.

Open the flood gates and expose all of them.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Apparently it's super duper hard, according to most men.

Sucks because it feels like most men are taught the perspective that the measure of their manliness is at least partially determined by their ability to control and dominate women. It's a viewpoint that doesn't leave room to treat them like respected and equal human beings, and I feel like cultures and societies haven't been able to do a good job of offering widespread alternatives up until relatively recently in human history.

It's not about being human, it's about being "a man."

So yeah, this is a deeply entrenched issue across a lot of human societies. It sucks. I hope we can do better, too. Gotta keep lighting the signal fires.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
As sad as it all is, it's good that it's coming out. We're well past the phase of being shocked and surprised at this point. It's time to clean house, and set examples so that other companies will think twice before pulling this stuff. I hope the momentum doesn't slow down, and more dirty laundry is hung out for all to see.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Good, expose them all, the rot runs deep in the gaming industry; collective re-structuring/overhaul is needed in this space. As depressing as it is, there is "no better time" to do it than now with the public/mainstream eyes on ABK currently.

This is what I mentioned in the other threads about putting yourself into the limelight irrespective on if you took those statements as PR, it refocuses the lens on your own org and adds extra scrutiny to bear. Exactly what I "hoped" would happen; not the discrimination of course, but the ability to bridge it off the hypocrisy of those statements to - hopefully - get more eyes & potential for justice, since this is endemic and we know there a more victims across the landscape.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I'm seeing so many lawsuits and crimes done by famous people recently.

For people who follow soccer, there was a plethora of soccer players assaulting women among other things and finally getting charged/arrested for it.

Then you having the gaming industry, Activision getting blown open and now Sony's own dirty laundry is being aired out.

It seems like this stuff has always been happening, and it's just now that people have the courage to speak up against it. We gotta do better as a society in treating people with respect and not discriminating against people for whatever reason.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The industry as a whole remains far too male dominated, especially when it comes to senior leadership positions.

Sony's E3 conferences were always notable by their absence of any women, was frequently discussed back in the day. And Playstation also seems to be lacking women in senior leadership positions compared to the competition.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
User banned (1 month): Platform warring in a sensitive thread
Microsoft or Nintendo deserves to win the console war.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
There are some industries and job types where women are especially mistreated. IT department at a video game company must be hell.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The industry as a whole needs major reform regardless of whether this is true or not. Which it most likely is, anyway.
Forgive my ignorance , I don't keep up to date with these things/ end up not seeing when allegations are proved to be true.

This isn't localized to the gaming industry in any way shape or form sadly, 2021 or not.
Yeah I more said it as it could mean a more concentrated effort within the industry could at least help, rather than individual companies each fighting their own battles.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
User banned (1 month): Platform warring in a sensitive thread. Prior bans for platform wars.
This is really beside the point but you're kidding yourself if you don't think it's the same shit everywhere.
I know xbox has had issues in the past, but considering theyre the only platform holder with a high level and public facing female executive with Sarah Bond, id say theyre doing better than the rest. And nintendo has Aya Kyogoku as manager of one of their development groups.

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
I know xbox has had issues in the past, but considering theyre the only platform holder with a high level and public facing female executive with Sarah Bond, id say theyre doing better than the rest. And nintendo has Aya Kyogoku as manager of one of their development groups.
3 studios at Playstation are led by women (Guerrilla, Santa Monica and Media Molecule). Having women at high positions doesn't prevent these issues.

Edit: Might as well add that two of the board directors standing with Bob at Activision are women.

Squall93

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
As there are more men than women in this industry, so statistically there are necessarily more men who are promoted than women. The only solution is to impose 50/50 quotas. For 10 managers, you now need 5 men and 5 women. When companies recruit employees it is necessary to force parity within the workforce. And this work must be done from university

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
3 studios at Playstation are led by women (Guerrilla, Santa Monica and Media Molecule). Having women at high positions doesn't prevent these issues.

Edit: Might as well add that two of the board directors standing with Bob at Activision are women.
More women CEOs would be help.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Good to see her taking action, hopefully the outcome is favorable and that also Playstation would fix their shit.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Unfortunate, i hope they kick sonys ass in court
These things are hard to prove because the accusation is based on the assumption of the accuser.

There are lots of employees that think they should be getting paid more, or didn't get promoted, or got fired because of discrimination based on __________ . Terminating people based on reorganization is a very normal thing in business, wether she was part of the team or not, they could have brought people over to fill in her role, or with lower headcount required less IT resources, etc.

This is not be doubting the situation. Women in IT have a rough go, and I can only imagine what women in IT at a tech companies face.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, Jim. Be the example you speak of. Clean out the rot.

Last edited:

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
More women CEOs would be help.
Helps on the representation side, but it doesn't fix these problems. Game dev is a tech oriented field and tech field has history of being toxic with women. You don't change this overnight. It's a process that will take time and during this period, victims needs to speak more so issues get fixed and responsible punished.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

Let's not turn this into console vs console counts on female leaders or "which company discriminates less", it doesn't have much of a bearing on systemic harassment. It helps yes, but it's dependent on what positions they occupy, and the ability to influence at a structural level.

Case in point for Microsoft/Xbox:

2019: https://qz.com/1587477/microsoft-investigating-sexual-harassment-claims-overlooked-by-hr/
2021: https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/16/tech/microsoft-bill-gates-sexual-harassment-arjuna-capital/index.html

Now back on topic, which are the victims & industry-wide issues.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
yep. It's not an Activision problem, it's a structural one.
It's not a structural one, it's a societal one.

This is a videogame forum, so it makes sense for us to focus on videogame companies, but too often the rhetoric around here seems to suggest the videogame industry is significantly worse than a lot of other industries out there when realistically a whole fuckton of industries have a lot of work to do.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Happy to see shit getting done. Hopefully there's enough noise made about this because I think Sony is one of the few companies who would actually make changes to maintain their progressive image.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Good. With the Activision stuff, and Sony/Ryan speaking out with that leaked email, hopefully this puts pressure on them to clean house and help restructure and provide support for their own women employee's. Sad to see women still getting payed less and shafted over males just because they're women; this is still a huge issue in tech itself, all big companies do this and it's terrible.

Laughable, especially with MS's own issues with covering up sexual harassment claims in their departments a year or two back. Nintendo most likely has some skeletons in the closet regarding women in the workplace as well. All big companies are the same story.

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
Lets not turn this into a console war, this is a structural problem that affects every industry.

Instead lets spread this information and pressure into a change

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Majo notes in her suit that Sony says she was terminated because of the closure of an internal department, though she says she wasn't in that department.
lol, dat gaslighting

Fuck Sony, I hope she gets paid. So tired of this shit EVERYWHERE
This is honestly one of the worst posts I've seen in a long time.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate, i hope they kick sonys ass in court

I wouldn't hold my breath. These companies can afford a lot of good lawyers. People probably know about the gender discrimination class action lawsuit filed against Microsoft several years ago. Most people probably don't realize that the lawsuit was denied class action status. The system sucks.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are people really surprised there's discrimination taking place in the workplace?

Unfortunately I expec it to happen whether you are business of 10 employees or a million there is no escaping bad behavior. The bad part is the company response when these issues arise. Sadly they find out easier to attack the victims then actually enforce HR rules and evaluate their culture.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
pretends-to-be-shocked.gif