• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.axios.com

Axios-Ipsos poll: Americans fear return to school

The poll finds that the pressure campaign for schools to reopen could backfire with many voters.

vkxWOIKs

Most U.S. parents say it would be risky to send their children back to school in the fall — including a slim majority of Republicans and a staggering nine in 10 Black Americans — in this week's installment of the Axios-Ipsos Coronavirus Index.

Why it matters: President Trump and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos have threatened to withhold federal funds from schools that don't reopen. The new findings suggest that this pressure campaign could backfire with many of the voters to whom Trump is trying to appeal ahead of the election.

The big picture: Week 16 of our national poll finds that only one in three Americans trust the federal government to look out for their family's interests — a new low — with people's confidence also sliding (but still higher) in their state and local governments and the Federal Reserve.

Another thing this poll tells me that is COVID is deep in the American psyche at this point. You can't spin this shit away.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
More than half of the Republicans is not good for Donny boy.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will try to hold parents responsible for truancy if families refuse to allow their children back into classrooms.

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
The incoming stories of teachers and kids getting COVID and dying aren't going to help

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will try to hold parents responsible for truancy if families refuse to allow their children back into classrooms.
For white people it is protecting their children, for brown folks jail time
The incoming stories of teachers and kids getting COVID and dying aren't going to help
There is already a story about a summer school teacher teaching summer school catching it and dying.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
More than half of the Republicans is not good for Donny boy.

Yup. People fuck around and have no problem putting themselves at risk.
But when it comes to their kids, whole other ballpark.

Hell, wouldn't even be surprised at a significant overlap between Karen's terrorizing Trader Joes and people who think putting their kids on a packed school bus is a bridge too far.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The only hope is your kids live in a state that doesn't start school until September. All the states that start in August will quickly prove this is a terrible idea.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"If you're at risk just stay home. Personal responsibility!"
Except Teachers

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone wants school to resume as it was before, but that's just not possible during this pandemic.

How many child deaths would be an acceptable number for Republicans?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Trump is so fucking stupid. This might just be his worst idea yet. Parents aren't gonna be up for putting their kids at risk.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
With three kids staying at home all day now, we would love NOTHING more than for school to start back up, but even then I would never in a million years send them into classrooms, lunchrooms and playgrounds next month. Got to be out of your fucking mind.

Fortunately we were able to sign up for online virtual for now. I feel really bad for parents without that option. Fuck this government.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap those Republican numbers are high.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017

Yes. The bullshit CPS calls will be unreal. Parents need to cover themselves by signing their children up with certain online learning programs to supplement the zoom learning to protect themselves. Curious to see the home school percentages this fall and moving into the winter.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Damn.

"It just doesn't make any sense," she said. She shook her head as tears dampened the disposable blue face mask pulled down to her chin.
"Every day I go to bed thinking, and wake up thinking, 'How is this a better situation for her?'"...

...Grace was required to stay in her locked room from 8:30 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. She couldn't turn the lights on and off herself and she slept on a mattress on a concrete slab, she said. She passed the time by reading, drawing and watching some TV.

The local school district provided packets of material but no classes. She said that she has not yet worked with a teacher in person or online, and that she meets less regularly with a therapist at Children's Village than she did at home.

Burn the whole thing down.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
SCHOOLS MUST OPEN IN THE FALL!

HOME DEPOT OPEN

HOME DEPOT LIKE SCHOOL

SCHOOL OPEN!!!!

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My Wife and I have been terrified sending the kids back to school. Thankfully they are discussing in-class mixture or full on-line. I'm banking on they aren't going to let them back in school.

Here's the thing have a plan in place if you want the kids back in school. Sad as hell when Sports have a better plan to get them back on the field.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
it is very interesting to see this fear to return to school and watching the news with beaches and public spaces full of people.

Schools should be closed for the rest of the year and people should be consistent with their discourse and stay at home.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
For white people it is protecting their children, for brown folks jail time

There is already a story about a summer school teacher teaching summer school catching it and dying.

There's that story, the story of 40 principals who are quarantining after being exposed (or potentially being exposed?), 85 people infected after attending a YMCA summer camp, and another summer camp where 82 people were infected.

As a teacher, it's going to be an interesting year to say the least. If we're in the building at all this year I'm not expecting to that to last more than couple weeks at best.

Mentally prepare yourself for the line of attack of "YEAH, well, do you KNOW what those teachers do on the WEEKEND?! How do you know they got it in school!" That shit is going to come next and it's going to hurt mentally to have to deal with it.

Oh, don't worry. I've already heard plenty of "Well if teachers aren't working I want my tax money back because it's difficult for working families".

Virtual teaching is harder and more work than being in the building.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried that most fear missing work in my area, they let us choose virtual or in person and I'm worried that my kid will get an inferior instruction if many parents choose in person

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
We decided to keep our first grader home for at least this semester. Her little brother was slated to start preschool this year too, but obviously not doing that. He has reactive airway disease and we're not risking her going to school and potentially bringing it home to us or him.

Wife and I are currently in the process of collecting home schooling materials and getting our basement set up in to a makeshift classroom.

Our district gave us two options:
1) Attend as normal
2) Stay home and watch a live stream of your class room each day

Their virtual option is a joke. What first grader is going to actually get meaningful learning watching all of their friends on a computer screen and a teacher that's teaching the kids in class, not catered towards remote learning at all? It honestly seems like an after thought and given how lax people around here (southern Indiana) have been about the pandemic I'm not surprised.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Oh, hey, a poll where my gender somehow didn't manage to embarrass me for once.

Uh, good job recognizing that kids dying is bad, fellow guys? I'm trying not to make that sarcastic-sounding. I'm proud of us, I figured a good 55% of us would still just be telling our kids to rub some dirt on it and read some Hemmingway and they'd be fine.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Every day that passes it becomes increasingly harder for me to believe Trump can be re-elected .

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone wants school to resume as it was before, but that's just not possible during this pandemic.

How many child deaths would be an acceptable number for Republicans?

Not even children's deaths... kids seem like the ideal carrier alongside schools being a fantastic source of spreading. Few thousand kids in a busy hallway. Less likely to listen to rules. More likely to be asymptomatic... going home to parents each night. Hope little Timmy enjoys not having parents.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
But Trump said yesterday that "kids want to be back at school" ...?!?!

I think the most frustrating thing with school re-openings is how conservatives are trying to latch onto the handful of European and Asian countries who have successfully re-started school, failing to recognize the plainly obvious thing: All of those countries that have re-opened schools have handled the coronavirus better than the United States. All of those countries that are re-opening their schools have effective universal health care systems that cover all people in the country for little to no out of pocket costs. It ends up driving this political wedge, where "conservatives are for re-opening" and "liberals are for keeping schools closed," when it isn't the case... All of those countries re-opening their schools are far more liberal than the US and that's why they're in a position to re-open. Beyond that, all of these systems are providing necessary funding for teachers and administrators for PPE, something that the US is not close to doing and probably won't be able to on the national level.

It's also politicizing the reality of school re-openings. In a normal environment that you're seeing in countries across Europe or some states in the US (like Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, etc), schools can seemingly re-open safely if done responsibly, with government coordination, and care. Health experts really aren't seeing a lot of transmission between kids or from kids to adults, transmission is usually from adults to children, and the places where local transmission is happening where schools are re-opening is probably not caused by schools re-opening, but rather, other industries/sectors re-opening because schools are open ... classic correlation vs. causation, but all of that nuance is being lost in the public debate.

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Kids want to be back at school, I know my son does. Adults want kids at school, me and my wife do.

But we sure af don't want them in an unsafe environment, ever. And a deadly pandemic outbreak is one of those situations (no shit). We have picked virtual school for next year.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine the alternate reality where this all happened with Hillary as President. We lose maybe 500 people but the GOP spins it into the worst thing to ever happen to America, and Clinton's chances of re-election are dashed, only for Trump to win in 2020. We were always doomed.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine the alternate reality where this all happened with Hillary as President. We lose maybe 500 people but the GOP spins it into the worst thing to ever happen to America, and Clinton's chances of re-election are dashed, only for Trump to win in 2020. We were always doomed.

Tough to imagine Trump winning the primary again after losing the general to such a weak candidate

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
lol, no she didn't actually say that.

..Did she?
not literally. she literally said the data doesn't seem to be alarming and that children would be safer in schools.

when the data was later examined it said that there was a possibility of .02% fatality which is like 15k kids give or take.

so her logic is that potential of 15-20k dead students isn't alarming and that kids should be back in school so America can get back to normal.

i mean, they're evil, but they know better than to appear on camera with actual blood on their faces.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where is the call to get PPE for teachers and support staff? If we're going to have in-person schooling they need N95 masks.

Lol. Look at Orange County, California. They are planning on opening schools without any PPE and social distancing. Trust me, there are people who just don't give a flying fuck and it is sad.