• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Good on them. Sex pest company that did nowhere near enough to make improvements. NFT's are the final nail in the coffin I suppose.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
As someone who has left Ubisoft themselves this year, I must say that, at least for me, the reasons are more conplex than only controversies surrounding the company. It is a mix of several things:

1) Desire to stop spending 2 hours a day for commute and get a remote only job as the pandemic has proven that it's possible (something many studios kept saying it's not. It is, and with the right solution to challenges more than effective)
2) Desire to work on smaller scale games for some time
3) Disappointment with how the company was handling the allegations from the inside, which always felt like there was a lot said but not a lot done (some people I know say there is visible change now, but still a ways to go).
4) Disappointment with the company creative direction even after Serge has left. This too might change in the future, we shall see, but for too long the upper management was pretty disruptive of the teams' creative processes when it came to pretty big decisions, I feel that hurts the projects, and there weren't signs that a change is coming soon.

And honestly, point 4 were grievances for sort of a long time, as well as the desire for point 2, but point 3 sort of made the whole thing spill and led to the decision I've made. I've joined Ubisoft because I believe in the values it seemingly held. The fact that so many things were hidden under a rug (after they were revealed some things and weirdnesses that I couldn't place my finger on clicked and suddenly everything made sense) felt like a stab in the back.

I do hope for the best because so many wonderful people work at Ubi.
Wish you all the best of luck dude... you were a lead on a pretty big modern-day open world title right? I've been meaning to play Legion!

Ubisoft have put out some of my favourite / most-creative games... obviously going back to Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, Rayman and others - but Zombi U was also fantastic IMO, I really enjoyed Mario + Rabbids, and I've been playing Fenyx Rising for the last 12 months - it's awesome. They clearly have great teams and great talent in many areas...

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
The people leaving should start their own studio and make unique games. I'm not interested in Far Cry 37 or Assassins Creed 56. No thank you.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Ubisoft pays far below market rates in most markets and the harassment a scandals + their general reputation haven't helped them.

I've mentioned it before but my role and title pays nearly six figures and if I've heard from people at Ubisoft that my role and title there is worth between 40k-50k.

You are talking about leaving 50,000-60,000 on the table for the "prestige" of working at Ubisoft.

They aren't keeping up with the job market either.

Cousin From Boston

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Nov 21, 2017
good-good-evil.gif

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
FHEzvOfXEAk48Em

Idk why this screenshot is so big. But the second point is crazy
This is the problem with tribal knowledge at lots of tech companies. Vital information lives in the heads of the people that know it, but isn't properly documented anywhere. So when those vital employees get sick, go on vacation, or quit, that information suddenly becomes harder to access.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
I mean there around 30 new studios that opened up in Montreal in the last few months and still growing bigger. Ubisoft seeing how they hire in the thousands at their Montreal Office, under pay. It's not surprising they are all leaving for better pay and culture

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Wish you all the best of luck dude... you were a lead on a pretty big modern-day open world title right? I've been meaning to play Legion!

Ubisoft have put out some of my favourite / most-creative games... obviously going back to Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, Rayman and others - but Zombi U was also fantastic IMO, I really enjoyed Mario + Rabbids, and I've been playing Fenyx Rising for the last 12 months - it's awesome. They clearly have great teams and great talent in many areas...

Thanks!

Even to this day, IMO, Ubisoft has some of the widest and most original number of IPs out of all AAA companies. And if with some of them (like Rainbow Six in its latest Siege iteration and For Honor which had some growing pains admittedly but is doing very well now) the company is doing all the right things, quite a lot are mis-utilized considerably.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean there around 30 new studios that opened up in Montreal in the last few months and still growing bigger. Ubisoft seeing how they hire in the thousands at their Montreal Office, under pay. It's not surprising they are all leaving for better pay and culture
I've been hearing how competition is fierce for the best employees from a friend who started up in the past year, retaining them won't be easy as things are spiraling a little.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is probably why I've been getting way more recruitment messages lately.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
This is the problem with tribal knowledge at lots of tech companies. Vital information lives in the heads of the people that know it, but isn't properly documented anywhere. So when those vital employees get sick, go on vacation, or quit, that information suddenly becomes harder to access.

Yeah.
There's a real aversion to writing documentation in the tech industry.
Developers can write thousands of lines of code and just write an incomprehensible sentence describing it's functionality.

Part of it is having deadlines and not factoring time to do documentation.
But that's a failure of management.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
The tech job market is hot hot hot right now.

At my current company attrition is way above 2020 levels, they are also in software world. Its so bad that for 2022 Q1 plan we have been asked to consider a turnover of 10%. First time they had to ever do it because otherwise they are generally always hiring a bench to fill in when people leave. But now they are not able to hire quickly enough at the Mid-level roles especially.

I know of people who resigned with 3-4 offers in hand, not just 1. They could pick and choose where they want to go. Increments of 300% junior level people are getting to change jobs, mid level people are getting 60-100% at times. This time the company decided to promote anybody who was eligible too to stem the tide.

TimeKillr

Feb 9, 2021
Ubisoft pays far below market rates in most markets and the harassment a scandals + their general reputation haven't helped them.

I've mentioned it before but my role and title pays nearly six figures and if I've heard from people at Ubisoft that my role and title there is worth between 40k-50k.

You are talking about leaving 50,000-60,000 on the table for the "prestige" of working at Ubisoft.

That's a big part of the problem, really.

There's no doubt some of the people leaving are leaving because of the work climate (I've heard horrible things!) a lot are simply leaving because of massive opportunities that are opening up locally that pay so much more than what Ubi is offering... I know that after the latest round of raises a lot are still angry and I've heard rumors of people saying that the amount they got is insulting when they could almost double their salary going somewhere else.

I think their issue (at least in Montreal) is that they are 3000+ employees, and so giving a 50% raise to everyone really hurts their bottom line too much to be able to do it.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
That's a big part of the problem, really.

There's no doubt some of the people leaving are leaving because of the work climate (I've heard horrible things!) a lot are simply leaving because of massive opportunities that are opening up locally that pay so much more than what Ubi is offering... I know that after the latest round of raises a lot are still angry and I've heard rumors of people saying that the amount they got is insulting when they could almost double their salary going somewhere else.

I think their issue (at least in Montreal) is that they are 3000+ employees, and so giving a 50% raise to everyone really hurts their bottom line too much to be able to do it.

Also it is big issue because if I remember correctly tax benefits are tied to number of people they employ (or something like that). So if you lose enough people they can lose tax benefits.

TimeKillr

Feb 9, 2021
Also it is big issue because if I remember correctly tax benefits are tied to number of people they employ (or something like that). So if you lose enough people they can lose tax benefits.

Yeah so from what I understand, they have a deal in place with the government that they have employment quotas in place for tax benefits. If the quotas aren't met, they lose some of their benefits (I've heard something like 50% of employee salary is basically paid by the government, but they don't care because it's almost 100% going back into the local economy so they make more money than they spend).

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK

How do you figure out the market rate without applying to a bunch of places?

Most open positions don't publicly disclose salaries (and in the jobs I've worked on I didn't find out until the offer stage what they were paying) and Glassdoor is hazy at best. People who cold-call on LinkedIn are often cagey about the pay too when asked.

I'm fine where I am but when you hear stories of people doubling or tripling by moving somewhere else it can't help but pique curiosity.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
How do you figure out the market rate without applying to a bunch of places?

Most open positions don't publicly disclose salaries (and in the jobs I've worked on I didn't find out until the offer stage what they were paying) and Glassdoor is hazy at best. People who cold-call on LinkedIn are often cagey about the pay too when asked.

I'm fine where I am but when you hear stories of people doubling or tripling by moving somewhere else it can't help but pique curiosity.

I mean, for my role there's an entire organization that puts out salary information every year.

You can also find market rate a bunch of different ways, and Glassdoor is one piece of data.

1) Pull out your market value for your role/title or a comparable one from Glassdoor and put it into a list of about 20-30 places.

2) Calculate the low, high and average salary

3) Do the same for websites like Neuvoo and PayScale

4) Compare the three and find the average low, median and high of the three

5) Compare the range you found to any other salary calculator you might know of. For Product Marketing specifically, the Product Marketing Alliance has one.

Using all of the above I was able to go into job interviews with the knowledge that I was worth between 80k and 100k depending on company bonuses, and I'd tell companies this when they'd interview me.

Not one, out of the 6 or 7 I talked to, balked at hearing that. After eliminating companies I didnt feel were a fit for me, I narrowed it down to 2 and those two both gave me offers, one for 85k and one for nearly 6 figures.

After weighing my options, I chose my company and the rest is history.

Companies in the tech space are being hyper aggressive right now in order to get new talent. I receive at least one recruiter reaching out a week.

You can also talk to people who do a similar role to you. Its how I know Ubisoft is so far under market value for roles.

Keep in mind, I'm a market researcher by trade :)

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I really hope for anyone that left Ubisoft to find a better job and to those that still work there to see a leadership change with people that treat them the kindness they deserve.

Yves seems like a garbage person.