• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
"Company contextualizes cuts, says it made 600 corp hires since last year."

tumblr_inline_p7ygxxG6eP1qctv4d_500.gif

They looked at the stonk money like it was the Disco Stu chart.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I keep forgetting I have like $450 worth of GameStop credit on one of their gift cards from trading in my Xbox one X, games and controllers.

Last year when they were running that insane deal where they gave you extra for consoles, games and accessories.

I should probably use it here soon before they completely stop accepting them and if they do go out of business…

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
lol don't think I've ever seen a stock split announced followed by layoffs that quickly. joke company.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
They looked at the stonk money like it was the Disco Stu chart.

The guy at the Gamestop near me can't even take a piss until halfway through his day because that's the only time the shifts overlap and there are actually two people in, but they hired 600 new corporate employees?

What in the hell are they even doing that necessitates that many office jobs?

McPedie

Jun 9, 2022
Lets hope they give them a 1% on game exchanges

In all seriousness I hope they do ok

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to see them close, I want to see them evolve. Unfortunately, they never did. Archaic pricing, won't match pricing of other retailers, selling a bunch of shit no one wants, pops t-shirts.

They really should close Brick and Mortar and go online, but cleanse the store of trash. Just sell games at variable market pricing, price match competitors, offer your trade ins, like Amazon does.

I know it's re-doing their whole business but it's that or completely shut down.

It's the last standing of my childhood (Babbages, Funcoland, EB Games, etc.) for "big" brick and mortar games stores.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The guy at the Gamestop near me can't even take a piss until halfway through his day because that's the only time the shifts overlap and there are actually two people in, but they hired 600 new corporate employees?

What in the hell are they even doing that necessitates that many office jobs?
Gotta find new ways to blockchain and sell NFTs baby

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Man, one part of me just want them to close already, since it's a sad spectacle for so many years already. But then, all the people working there, and also the fact that it's the only dedicated gaming store branch remaining. (At least in Québec)

But I'm part of the problem, somewhat. While I still buy mainly physical (for bigger release), I rather get games from Amazon or BestBuy...

But now is the time to use my Platinum 10% on used game before they're gone!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't want to see them close, I want to see them evolve. Unfortunately, they never did. Archaic pricing, won't match pricing of other retailers, selling a bunch of shit no one wants, pops t-shirts.

They really should close Brick and Mortar and go online, but cleanse the store of trash. Just sell games at variable market pricing, price match competitors, offer your trade ins, like Amazon does.

I know it's re-doing their whole business but it's that or completely shut down.

It's last last of my childhood Babbages, Funcoland, EB Games, etc. for brick and mortar games stores.

If they just sell games and pricematch competitors on games, how are they going to make any money? Amazon has other things to pay the bills, as does Best Buy and pretty much every other company.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when we just USED to talk about this. And now it's actually happening.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
That really sucks for the employees.

I know Gamestop has a number of issues, but it's still one of the better/few remaining places left to get a variety of physical media games. Game Informer is usually pretty great too.

As someone who still prefers physical over digital, I'm not looking forward to them inevitably going out of business.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
If they just sell games and pricematch competitors on games, how are they going to make any money? Amazon has other things to pay the bills, as does Best Buy and pretty much every other company.
I don't know, I'm not in that field for a reason, I'm saying from the outside, thats what I think they need to do, leave it to market experts and business strategists to figure out how the F to make that work, but what they have going on now, is failing.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I'm not in that field for a reason, I'm saying from the outside, thats what I think they need to do, leave it to market experts and business strategists to figure out how the F to make that work, but what they have going on now, is failing.
Isn't their current approach a result of focusing only on games being no longer viable? Pretty tough to be a games only retailer when the industry is actively trying to move away from retailers in favor of direct to consumer options.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I'm willing to do a beer bet that companies that are in a crunch who claim they'll invest in the blockchain or NFTs instead get on the fast track to insolvency.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually impressed the've clung to life for this long. I thought they'd have died a few years ago.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"Our company is dying, better get into crypto even more"

good luck, idiots. you'll need it.

Sorry to all the GS/GI staff being fucked over by blatantly incompetent leadership. Y'all deserve better.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I mean the meme stock stuff just delayed the inevitable fact that GameStop's underlying business is permanently hosed.

Yeah I know they're executing on a turnaround plan and they stand a better chance of making it than some other "longshot" turnaround plans.

But the business is still built on rapidly eroding sand.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Ship is already half sunken, it's only a matter of time when they close down completely or scale down big. Digital being way too convenient already and pandemic was a brutal one-two to GameStop.

I hope the people that were layoff get back on their feet quickly. Leadership clearly has no idea what to do and just panders to current (and more financially riskier lol) trends.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Man, I keep forgetting I have like $450 worth of GameStop credit on one of their gift cards from trading in my Xbox one X, games and controllers.

Got some credit from hardware trades. How dangerous is it to not get it out some how.

I took advantage of that insane trade-in deal too and I converted all my GS credit to a variety of MS/Nintendo/Sony/Steam gift cards before Christmas last year because I didn't have enough faith they'd stick around long-term after Christmas was over. Just convert the credit into a form you can use with one (or more) of the platform holders.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
On a side note that whole "spend that bonus coupon on digital currency" loophole is about to get closed permanently, I think.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
The full memo:

All,

Change will be a constant as we evolve our commerce business and launch new products through our blockchain group. After investing heavily in personnel, technology, inventory and supply chain infrastructure over the past 18 months, our focus is on achieving sustained profitability. This means eliminating excess costs and operating with an intense owner's mentality. Everyone in the organization must become even more hands-on and embrace a heightened level of accountability for results.

With that said, I'm getting in touch today to share three organizational updates:

1. After making more than 600 corporate hires in 2021 and the first half of 2022, we have a stronger understanding of our transformation needs. This has positioned us to right-size headcount across several corporate departments. Today, we're making a number of reductions to help us keep things simple and operate nimbly with the right talent in place.

2. We're going to be making a significant investment in our Store Leaders and field employees, who play a critical role fulfilling the needs of our customers. These individuals are, in many respects, the heart of GameStop. We'll be sharing details regarding this investment in the coming weeks.

3. Mike Recupero, who has served as our Chief Financial Officer since last June, is departing. Diana Jajeh, who has been our Chief Accounting Officer and possesses strong institutional knowledge of the business, has been appointed Chief Financial Officer.

These changes will enable us to operate in a profitable manner as we execute against our strategy of pursuing sales growth in our commerce business and launching new products that empower customers within the digital asset and web3 gaming verticals. I'm confident in the team we have in place going forward, and thank you again for your continued dedication and focus.

Regards,
Matt

www.cnbc.com

GameStop fires its CFO and announces layoffs as part of aggressive turnaround plan

The company is making staff cuts across departments as part of an effort to turn around the videogame retailer and drive growth.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
"This means eliminating excess costs and operating with an intense owner's mentality Everyone in the organization must become even more hands-on and embrace a heightened level of accountability for results"

Oh fuck all the way off...

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
There's no saving GameStop, there never was, they've spent the lsat few years delaying the inevitable. As always it sucks for the people on staff and at GI who are losing their jobs though.