• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
AxiomsEnd.png

Described as an alternate history first contact adventure story, here's the summery as listed on all the product pages:

By the fall of 2007, one well-timed leak revealing that the U.S. government might have engaged in first contact has sent the country into turmoil, and it is all Cora Sabino can do to avoid the whole mess. The force driving this controversy is Cora's whistleblower father, and even though she hasn't spoken to him in years, his celebrity has caught the attention of the press, the Internet, the paparazzi, and the government--and redirected it to her. She neither knows nor cares whether her father's leaks are a hoax, and wants nothing to do with him--until she learns just how deeply entrenched her family is in the cover-up, and that an extraterrestrial presence has been on Earth for decades.

To save her own life, she offers her services as an interpreter to a monster, and the monster accepts.

Learning the extent to which both she and the public have been lied to, she sets out to gather as much information as she can, and finds that the best way for her to find the truth is not as a whistleblower, but as an intermediary. The alien presence has been completely uncommunicative until she convinces one of them that she can act as their interpreter, becoming the first and only human vessel of communication. But in becoming an interpreter, she begins to realize that she has become the voice for a being she cannot ever truly know or understand, and starts to question who she's speaking for--and what future she's setting up for all of humanity.

For those who aren't familiar with Lindsay Ellis, she's a video essayist who was recently nominated for a Hugo with her three part video essay on The Hobbit film trilogy.

She's done a lot of video essay work, including a collaboration with PBS on a series called "It's Lit!", which talks about various Literature subjects.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Book publishing is wild... Takes so long to get it together and release. Def gonna pick this up assuming there's a Kindle version.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
added a bit of context for people who don't know Lindsay's work

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
It's up for pre-order on Amazon and Books A Million and the like, and Chapters/Indigo for Canadians.

Book publishing is wild... Takes so long to get it together and release. Def gonna pick this up assuming there's a Kindle version.

Lindsay has been answering a few questions on twitter. A lot of the side things involving the book is out of her hands (like details on the audiobook version), but she makes it sound like by release date there should be all the normal trappings of a book release, So I imagine it will have a Kindle/ebook release of some kind

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
She also said on twitter there will be an audiobook released the same day, but no details other than that she's pushing to get a male and female narrator on it.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very Arrival-like which of course is how she pitched it, but I'm curious as to how it differentiates itself. Definitely looking forward to reading.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Sounds pretty lame and that summary is badly written. Still, all the best to her.

Oct 27, 2017
Bumping this. Anyone else read this?

I'm about a quarter way through and I'm enjoying it. It's very much from the mind of Lindsay Ellis.

Deleted member 11796

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it earlier this week.

I really enjoyed my time with it. Not mindblowing, but it's a solid debut novel. Looking forward to the next book which I think is coming next year.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to purchase signed copies? I feel like I saw something about that, but don't exactly recall.

Ghettomould

Game Sound
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
New Zealand
Finished this last night. Definitely nothing mind blowing but I had a lot of fun reading it and can't wait for the next 3 or 4? There were a few things dropped throughout the book that weren't explained in the slightest so I wanna stick around for those explanations.

Make sure to check out any website addresses you come across.

This got me the first time too lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. Rather enjoyed it tbh. Took some established tropes and did some interesting things with then.

My partner neeeeeeds to read this but she forgot to preorder and thought I got it in a physical copy so she's trying to order it but it's backordered everywhere.

Oct 27, 2017
interested in seeing thoughts
It's a bit unpolished here and there. A lot of the chapters end in the same way and it gets noticable pretty quickly. But the core relationship that is developed is compelling enough to drive you through.

Be forewarned that is 100% a thing Lindsay Ellis would write which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your feeling towards her style of humor and her well documented interests.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It's a bit unpolished here and there. A lot of the chapters end in the same way and it gets noticable pretty quickly. But the core relationship that is developed is compelling enough to drive you through.

Be forewarned that is 100% a thing Lindsay Ellis would write which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your feeling towards her style of humor and her well documented interests.
Oh no, it's full of Starscream fan fiction?

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it a week ago (did a B&N run for the Criterion 50% sale, and saw this on the front racks) but started reading today. I'm into it so far.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I didn't see Google Play listed on the site and was getting ready to go on a rant but luckily it's listed there anyway.

Will grab this on payday!

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the book last night. I enjoyed it. Audiobook was also quite good. One of the few times I've listened to one performed by multiple narrators. Admittedly most the book is just done by one narrator, but they had a second narrator take over for all the news report and broken seal story readings at the end of many of the chapters.

Also, she changed her twitter handle.

b3lafA1.png

Milena

Oct 27, 2017
I'm listening to the audiobook and I'm really liking it so far, almost halfway through.

Sep 14, 2019
Finished the book last night. I enjoyed it. Audiobook was also quite good. One of the few times I've listened to one performed by multiple narrators. Admittedly most the book is just done by one narrator, but they had a second narrator take over for all the news report and broken seal story readings at the end of many of the chapters.

Also, she changed her twitter handle.

b3lafA1.png

Off-topic, but what's the context of that hot dog gif?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Getting the fuck away from Channel Awesome and the Nostalgia Critic was the best thing that ever happened to her.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
About five chapters in, some of the writing seems... Rough? I'll read something and have to jump back a few paragraphs to make it make sense. Not usually a problem for me. Must just be the style of writing