• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If epic missed an issue as small and obvious as this. It brings into question how much they're actually testing, after touting it as one of their big features setting it apart.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
thank god the epic store is testing these games so throughly and it's so great that they have avenues for customers to communicate directly to the developer

Jun 26, 2018
They do test games actually. (Well, one build anyway, after that you're free to update anytime - even before release).

I'm assuming this must be some sort of automated test to determine if the program boots and doesn't crash for x minutes.

Because if it's not automated and they actually have people looking at games, then they've got a lot of things to explain considering how many homophobic and racist games have made it through.

Steam test the initial release of the games. How long they test for might vary, but Epic did try to differentiate itself with not selling broken games and fully testing the games it sells (and yet here we were).

It doesnt test the patches (to allow patches to be immediate).
Tim Sweeney made a big deal about it, though.

I did not Tim Sweeney made a big deal about it, that does change things a little.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Aw, it was definitely more funny to think that Epic had some ludicrous anti-spam filter. Still pretty funny though.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Valve does check games though. Also, this was supposed to be a big selling point of the Epic store. See below.
In my experience, Valve ensures that games will run. I don't see any indication that they play games to completion. Which sounds similar to what happened here with EGS, but people should have higher expectations than that of EGS given that they put a lot of weight into their "curated" selection.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017

So, no one else played or tested the game before approving it to the store?

i'm inclined to believe Galyonkin, he probably just turned it on and gave it a quick spin to see if loaded and such. QA is not his job after all.

it's just amazing that this happened in the first place, players were only minorly inconvenienced and the bug was fixed by Tom Happ within a day.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
178tXUl.gif

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I haven't played Axiom Verge, but looking at youtube playthroughs the mentioned area (Zi) you reach within your first hour?

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
I haven't played Axiom Verge, but looking at youtube playthroughs the mentioned area (Zi) you reach within your first hour?
Seriously, no wonder he thinks that his idea of "small dedicated curation team" will work when they open the floodgates for self-publishing, because in his mind you can check the quality of the game by playing it less than an hour.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
You can think it's funny but it highlights the upcoming nightmare for developpers if they have to support multiple builds of the same PC game for each launcher.

It's already a pain for modders with just GOG and Steam. Some games on one platform have older patches that make certain mods incompatible.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Hooray even more fuel for the fanboy fires, yikes.
This is only the beginning

Oh it absolutely is going to get worse regardless of what position anyone takes regarding these PC ecosystems, especially since anyone discussing anything is seemingly a fanboy, even if they don't use the any of them. It's forum logic I suppose

Screw that. Open up a ticket like Epic says!

I think at one point Galyokin's argument was wanting more direct communication between dev and customer vs toxic forums that devs don't have time to support. That argument falls apart, because the hope there is to hide any issues. It doesn't improve the quality of feedback on issues or the toxic nature of those more anger prone gamers

So, not only did Galyonkin lie (that or he's not as knowledgeable about Steam as he thinks he is) when he strongly implied Valve doesn't check games before approving them for release, but apparently Epic's own approval process isn't much, if any, better. That's rather amusing.

Apparently it's fanboyism! Or it's legitimately funny that we are at this point already.
I'd be curious to know each ecosystems actual process for QC of games (if any). With Steam, it seems they relatively recently started doing some pretty heavy feedback for some games in a lot of detail. Prior to that, I hadn't heard anything about actual process beyond "check it runs and isn't malicious", which isn't very thorough

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018

What does " robocopy /XF "steam"* " mean?

Also how far in the the game do you need to be to get to that area in the game? It's possible that Sergey stopped before that and just wanted to make sure that the game would even run.

Well at the very least this shows that updates can get pushed very fast but does bring the question of where you would go to find answers to problems like this since not everyone uses Twitter. On Steam at least there is a section where devs can put updates and let people know about issues and what not

Last edited:

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Apparently it's fanboyism! Or it's legitimately funny that we are at this point already.
I'd be curious to know each ecosystems actual process for QC of games (if any). With Steam, it seems they relatively recently started doing some pretty heavy feedback for some games in a lot of detail. Prior to that, I hadn't heard anything about actual process beyond "check it runs and isn't malicious", which isn't very thorough

Yeah, I think it's fair to assume Valve is more thorough in its pre-release checks than it previously was now that developers are required to summarise the nature of the content in their games.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Also how far in the the game do you need to be to get to that area in the game? It's possible that Sergey stopped before that and just wanted to make sure that the game would even run.

Well at the very least this shows that updates can get pushed very fast but does bring the question of where you would go to find answers to problems like this since not everyone uses Twitter. On Steam at least there is a section where devs can put updates and let people know about issues and what not

Robocopy is a command line tool.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

if there are only seven why wouldn't you just do it manually anyway

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, this seems like an honest mistake from the dev. But the bandwagon gonna bandwagon.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a pretty hilarious bug. I'm sure Epic will be more verbose in the files they exclude from now on.

Oct 27, 2017
I like how this thread is split between "Lazy Devs!" and "I've been there, mate" depending on (presumably) whether you work in the IT industry or not.