• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
265m is the equivalent of less than 5m copies sold at $60, for an entire store in an entire year.

For a comparaison, just Miles Morales made close to that entire revenue in seven weeks.
I think it's a good amount of money, especially with the frequent crazy deals (no one should be paying $60 on games there. Wait, hold out, be strong). Also buy time by playing the free games as if it's a gamepass you don't have to pay a sub for, you always get to keep the games and discover types of games you wouldn't have payed for before, like this game for me. Axiom was a early game on the free EGS games list.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Let me offer a perspective from someone who doesn't actually care for any of the often-cited steam features. Going to type this all at once so I don't have to do it again.

I like steam because I can generally trust it from top to bottom. It has been there since the early 2000s, when many/most people didn't give a shit about PC gaming. And over the years, while it stayed kinda ugly and clunky, it has been nothing but a constantly reliable source of games content, ridiculously low prices in sales that are borderline cultural (that other platform and consoles only recently started doing reliably).

When there's a new feature that people often laud about, you either find it useful or can freely ignore it. I personally don't give a shit about achievements or hats or cards or whatever the fuck they have going on. That people like them? Great. If I wanted to try some shit with controllers, any controller, it already works on steam. Streaming to TV? Been on steam. Recently they added remote play together; I don't use it much, but great to know it's there on steam. Nevermind that all the games just update and download in the background at speeds that are noticeably faster than say, my switch games. Listening to people having to wait for installs and shit on consoles is just a joke; when I buy a game on steam, unless the game is hundreds of gigs or more it downloads to my computer in SECONDS.

You need to understand that Steam has been doing this for damn near 20 years. The "difficulties" of PC gaming is largely a joke to many/most steam users. Out of the hundreds of games I've played on Steam, I've had technical problems with...maybe a little over 5? And for pretty much all of them the fix involved googling it and maybe changing an .ini file or launching the game with a parameter. Whereas you have all these console squabbles and whatever other noise, every day I can sit down, turn on my computer, and instantly there's just this waves and waves of games of every genre imaginable, played on basically the highest quality in all of the video game market provided you had sufficient hardware. I buy a game over some web store or subscription program? Guess what, it all loads on steam, just in a single giant library that I can go through at my leisure whenever I want. There's been no price hikes, no strange questionable BS. Just sales and games. People conflate it with PC gaming as a whole because it's as reliable as utility.

In other words:

youtu.be

The Wire - Spiros and Marlo discuss business

Spiros (Vondas) Vondopoulos and Marlo Stanfield discuss business at a park, and offers a cell phone as a way to communicate. Spiros offers great advice when ...

Here comes Epic, which is fine. But it brings to the table...some bought exclusives and nothing else? I don't want to switch music apps if I wanted to listen to a different song, why would I want to do the same for my games? They obviously didn't bring any kind of valuable product and the fact that they're trying to content-lock their way to success is plain as day. Other competitors in the PC space are fine; no one ever complained about GoG or Green man gaming, so when someone complains about "attack dogs" for steam or whatever, they just have no point whatsoever or don't really understand how people use steam. For instance:

To any regular steam user, this is a joke. As a switch user, if you don't understand how poor the eshop's shopping experience is, I STRONGLY suggest you read up on user experience design.

"But but but the market" theorycrafting kinda ignores the fact that Steam has BEEN the market, to almost no detriment to the consumer, for nearly longer than Sony and Microsoft gaming has existed. Epic wants to make 12% permanent? Cute shit for a first date, let's see what happens in 10 years. Why would I trust and trade up to some grease ball used car salesman that suddenly shows up one day parading obviously bullshit tactics that you can see right through, from something been nothing less than perfectly reliable AND still evolving for almost two decades? Would YOU do that?

I'm perfectly happy for the devs who takes Epic's money, and a lot of people here, myself included, lauded Epic when they're actively investing into the community. But I can wait and Epic can prove themselves in a way that I should give a damn about. Hope that helps clarify.
steam has a full-on centralized mod hosting and distribution service available within the client that enables users to mod supported games in just a few clicks and which enables mod creators to reach a vast audience with little effort on their part
Steam's controller support is extensive - within the Steam UI is a powerful configuration tool that not only enables users to use whatever controller they want with whatever games they want (I could seriously rig up an old flight stick to play a fighting game if I really wanted to... Or a kb/m only game with a controller... or a XInput game with a Switch/Dualsense controller... Etc) but which also allows them to easily and accessibly tune their controls with a huge variety of options including shift keys, custom radial/grid menus, macros, etc

These are two of the Steam features I value the most because they're so extensive, but I get a lot more out of Steam than just those features too. Steam feels to me like it's light-years ahead of the competition (even on consoles) in terms of its featureset despite there being no cost of entry or subscription fees to pay.

Great replies, and also the others I did not quote.

I get it, Steam feels like it was created for the PC community just like foobar might be for music lovers who want to really get the most and fine tune things themselves. I guess the reason I don't see it as a big of a deal is because most of my enjoyment comes while I play the games and I have multiple controllers and use the Xbox X series one now which will work on EGS or Steam. I see a game like this that will likely play the same to me whether it is on Steam or EGS. Again I do appreciate the replies and don't begrudge anyone sticking to what they prefer or wanting the feature set Steam provides above and beyond.

The subject of the thread is "the PC version of game x is exclusive to EGS". There are two main reactions: Some people are saying "yay, I approve of this" and others are saying "boo, I don't approve of this". Both opinions are equally valid, both opinions can and should be expressed and neither side should be silenced. "Trolling" has a very specific meaning and it shouldn't be used as a means of shutting down a valid and well reasoned opinion we don't agree with.

True but when we see the same people saying the same thing in each new game announced what response are they hoping for?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
True but when we see the same people saying the same thing in each new game announced what response are you hoping for?

I have two things to say about that. The first is that I am not hoping for any kind of response, I am reacting to the news and expressing my opinion. The second is that the responses of the other side of the argument which are in the vein of "good for you, get that cash" seem equally devoid of meaning in the sense that you described. So I would ask why one type of content is considered meaningless while the other is not.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I have two things to say about that. The first is that I am not hoping for any kind of response, I am reacting to the news and expressing my opinion. The second is that the responses of the other side of the argument which are in the vein of "good for you, get that cash" seem equally devoid of meaning in the sense that you described. So I would ask why one type of content is considered meaningless while the other is not.
My guess is people are happy to see a small team, or a one-man team, get some guaranteed income. It's no different than others being more receptive to third party exclusive deals on game consoles where one can argue they are paying for the marketing of a small niche JRPG as opposed to a timed deal for a game like FFVII Remake that literally does nothing for the consumer other than to promote the hardware it's exclusive on. So I get why more will comment on Metro Exodus being exclusive as opposed to this game.

I just don't think we should act like we know better. Some will question why Double Fine wanted to be bought. Well when you've been trying to raise money for every project to get off the ground it can be tiresome. Some don't want to worry about the financial risks all the time and if this one game fails to sell we might have to shut down. Instead we get fixated on our own needs.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sure, it makes sense for devs to take the money. Why shouldn't gamers be annoyed with games being stuck on an inferior storefront, though? Both of these things make sense to me.
Seems self entitled imo. People are choosing not to download it for whatever nonsensical reason. You act like you have to buy the storefront client, it's not like a console where you have to buy a whole new hardware.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
My guess is people are happy to see a small team, or a one-man team, get some guaranteed income. It's no different than others being more receptive to third party exclusive deals on game consoles where one can argue they are paying for the marketing of a small niche JRPG as opposed to a timed deal for a game like FFVII Remake that literally does nothing for the consumer other than to promote the hardware it's exclusive on. So I get why more will comment on Metro Exodus being exclusive as opposed to this game.

I just don't think we should act like we know better. Some will question why Double Fine wanted to be bought. Well when you've been trying to raise money for every project to get off the ground it can be tiresome. Some don't want to worry about the financial risks all the time and if this one game fails to sell we might have to shut down. Instead we get fixated on our own needs.

I skimmed through this thread and I couldn't find any posts claiming that they know better than the developer about what's best for their personal and professional life. Overwhelmingly, the feeling being expressed seems to be "I understand why you made that decision but I don't want to support it" which I feel is a perfectly valid opinion to hold. Even more hardline stances, to the tune of "I don't care why, I won't buy the game" or "Steam or no sale", while less reasonable are still valid on the grounds that the developer is not owed a purchase any more than the customer is owed a release on their desired platform.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Seems self entitled imo. People are choosing not to download it for whatever nonsensical reason. You act like you have to buy the storefront client, it's not like a console where you have to buy a whole new hardware.

Entitled? Yeah. I'm entitled to spend my money where I please.

No store/platform is entitled to my money if it doesn't offer me anything meaningful.

Good for the dev getting paid. Probably would have made the same decision in their shoes.

Will probably get on Switch and then Steam some time later.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I respect he saying he is doing it because of the big bag of money instead of the bullshit some devs used to say like it was going to be the best for the players.

I love the game. Since he got payed already I'll wait a year to buy it in a better place.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I'm always amazed by the amount of pointless egs-moralizing spawned by these threads. Nobody cares if you're not going to buy it. We already know there's a bunch of you who view EGS as the greatest blight upon the history of videogames.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I can't bring myself to hate EGS.

I definitely prefer Steam, but with EGS I get free games, devs get paid more, and now Steam has a refund policy which I use.

multiple launchers are a bit annoying but EGS is worth it.
Is the implication of the bolded that it's thanks to EGS that Steam has refunds? I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand, are you saying because he gets a certain amount of money upfront he wont get money from my sale?
Most of Epic contracts with indies are paying a guaranteed amount of sold copies and the dev doesnt get extra money fomr Epic till they have sold more than that.

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand, are you saying because he gets a certain amount of money upfront he wont get money from my sale?

It's an advance; the developer/publisher gets a lump sum of money up front for agreeing to release exclusively on the Epic Game Store, but won't get any more from sales on there until that money has been made back. It's how Epic makes these exclusivity deals:

www.pcgamer.com

There are more Epic Store exclusives coming over the next 2 years than have released so far

We only know about a handful of upcoming exclusives right now, which suggests there are a lot of unannounced games.

Last edited:

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Epic pays upfront for X amount of copies, this means that if you want to maximize the money made you buy it on other platforms, because until he surpasses that X amount he won't get any extra revenue.

If thats the arrangement of course

As for me i'm sad it won't release on steam, especially since its a "controller" kinda game and epic is terrible at that. I'll buy it on the switch i guess.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Most of Epic contracts with indies are paying a guaranteed amount of sold copies and the dev doesnt get extra money fomr Epic till they have sold more than that.
Epic pays upfront for X amount of copies, this means that if you want to maximize the money made you buy it on other platforms, because until he surpasses that X amount he won't get any extra revenue.

If thats the arrangement of course

As for me i'm sad it won't release on steam, especially since its a "controller" kinda game and epic is terrible at that. I'll buy it on the switch i guess.
interesting, This reminds of that Jay Z deal with Samsung a few years ago. Samsung agreed to buy a million of his albums upfront (and give it to their customers for free) guaranteeing it going platinum before it even released. Thats a good deal.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Sure i can wait one year. After trying to make a game on my free time I would do the same if it was my job tbh.

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fuck, I just read some of the replies in here. I hope that these posters don't know about Happs' situation, because if not...Puke.

Worse yet -

How fucked up is it that private information about a person within a small indie studio is immediately used as forum fodder to detract from the ire of the studio's fanbase over what is a very simple decision. A small shop took the better, safer deal being offered between two titans of the gaming industry. No personal anecdotes should be required to justify this.

If Valve had made a similar offer, surely he'd have taken it. If Valve would match the perks that EGS offers across the board, I think EGS would simply disappear over night, wouldn't it? But they don't, Valve likely doesn't think it needs to give up that extra margin. So the war wages on and people continue to effectively defend Valve by complaining about EGS.

I say this as someone who only buys from EGS when he 'has' to.

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
I have literally no qualms with a dev (indie or otherwise) taking an Epic deal. If I was a dev I would too. You'd be crazy not to, to some degree.

But I also have no interest in Epic as a platform so I'm fine waiting for it to come to a platform I like. Or in this case I'll get it on switch instead of PC.

Disliking a platform as a user doesn't mean you hate a dev for releasing a game on it lmao.

Nailed it

Oct 26, 2017
Worse yet -

How fucked up is it that private information about a person within a small indie studio is immediately used as forum fodder to detract from the ire of the studio's fanbase over what is a very simple decision. A small shop took the better, safer deal being offered between two titans of the gaming industry. No personal anecdotes should be required to justify this.

If Valve had made a similar offer, surely he'd have taken it. If Valve would match the perks that EGS offers across the board, I think EGS would simply disappear over night, wouldn't it? But they don't, Valve likely doesn't think it needs to give up that extra margin. So the war wages on and people continue to effectively defend Valve by complaining about EGS.

I say this as someone who only buys from EGS when he 'has' to.
Obviously, but in this case there's a whole other layer on top, which makes the usual fanboy whining even more disgusting.
An indie dev securing funding for their game and survival shouldn't be controversial. It's pathetic that people would begrudge someone landing an amazing deal for their business when the only downside for them is that they have to use another launcher, or wait for a bit.
It's not even comparable to consoles really as you have no upfront cost for a launcher.
Criticising EGS is fine. It's not a particularly enticing platform ATM, and outside of the free games I am not really using it, but competition is good, funding Indies is good and only helps the diversity of the PC platform.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously, but in this case there's a whole other layer on top, which makes the usual fanboy whining even more disgusting.
An indie dev securing funding for their game and survival shouldn't be controversial. It's pathetic that people would begrudge someone landing an amazing deal for their business when the only downside for them is that they have to use another launcher, or wait for a bit.
It's not even comparable to consoles really as you have no upfront cost for a launcher.
Criticising EGS is fine. It's not a particularly enticing platform ATM, and outside of the free games I am not really using it, but competition is good, funding Indies is good and only helps the diversity of the PC platform.

I don't agree. An indie studio getting funding is good for that particular studio but making the customer experience worse has a negative effect on everyone else. The drop in PC gaming revenue in 2019 was telling. So while in the short term studios that receive funding from Epic may benefit, there is data to suggest that the well is being poisoned in the long term. A possibility that will negatively impact thousands of developers around the world.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't agree. An indie studio getting funding is good for that particular studio but making the customer experience worse has a negative effect on everyone else. The drop in PC gaming revenue in 2019 was telling. So while in the short term studios that receive funding from Epic may benefit, there is data to suggest that the well is being poisoned in the long term. A possibility that will negatively impact thousands of developers around the world.
Its all about balance. Because goodwill alone doesn't pay bills. PC gaming revenue falling has more likely to do with an overcrowded market more than some inconvenienced customers.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Wonder if whatever Epic is giving him for being exclusive will be more than what he's missing out by not being on all the consoles at once.
I was definitely gonna get this on Switch, now, I dunno.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Its all about balance. Because goodwill alone doesn't pay bills. PC gaming revenue falling has more likely to do with an overcrowded market more than some inconvenienced customers.

Even in that case, the possibility of long-term damage cannot be disqualified and in my mind that is enough to express reservations. PC gaming is the only avenue for success for tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of small developers who don't have access to console devkits. It is a market whose diminishment or collapse could destroy the livelihood of so many people it's actually scary. PC gaming experiencing a sharp decline in revenue after many years of continued growth in the year that EGS was established cannot be dismissed as a coincidence.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if whatever Epic is giving him for being exclusive will be more than what he's missing out by not being on all the consoles at once.
I was definitely gonna get this on Switch, now, I dunno.

The Epic deal doesn't prevent the developer from releasing on the other consoles. It's likely the game didn't sell well enough on Xbox and PlayStation to make them a priority.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I don't see any evidence that PC game revenue is dropping and I'm not even sure how you'd get such data for the entire platform beyond estimates. And if it was dropping, it wouldn't be because of timed exclusives on EGS. The rising or falling fortunes of a single mega-blockbuster game like Fortnite & League of Legends probably has more effect on total PC game revenue than every single EGS exclusive to date combined. For that matter, free games (either freemium or given away by EGS & other services) probably have drastically more effect on total revenue as well.

Hades was a timed exclusive on EGS for a year and being on EGS first doesn't appear to have hurt their Steam revenue one bit (judging from Steam review count, they've sold a blockbuster amount worth of sales on Steam). And we know it didn't hurt the game's quality, judging from all the Game of the Year awards that game won.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
No one is entitled to get a game on their platform/storefront of choice. If the platform you're usually playing on/buying from is more important to you than the game in question - don't buy it on other platforms.
If in turn the game is more important to you than the platform/storefront, then get it from wherever it is offered.

Criticism (and to an extent anger) towards Epic/EGS is most certainly valid, but the choice at the end of the day should be as easy as that. All one can effectively do is take a clear stance and act accordingly.
Happ being this transparent isn't something one should take for granted, and given the context, should be met with acceptance and appreciation.

Just my general thoughts on the matter.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see any evidence that PC game revenue is dropping and I'm not even sure how you'd get such data for the entire platform beyond estimates. And if it was dropping, it wouldn't be because of timed exclusives on EGS. The rising or falling fortunes of a single mega-blockbuster game like Fortnite & League of Legends probably has more effect on total PC game revenue than every single EGS exclusive to date combined. For that matter, free games (either freemium or given away by EGS & other services) probably have drastically more effect on total revenue as well.

Hades was a timed exclusive on EGS for a year and being on EGS first doesn't appear to have hurt their Steam revenue one bit (judging from Steam review count, they've sold a blockbuster amount worth of sales on Steam). And we know it didn't hurt the game's quality, judging from all the Game of the Year awards that game won.

The data you are asking for was posted in a different thread very recently, I can't remember its title though. A user posted a Newzoo report that showed a drop in revenue of about 20%. I contributed this Mat Piscatella (the NPD guy) tweet:

Which he then followed with this as a response to another tweet that has since been deleted:

Based on this, I don't think it can be reasonably argued that the appearance of EGS did not negatively affect PC game revenue.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The data you are asking for was posted in a different thread very recently, I can't remember its title though. A user posted a Newzoo report that showed a drop in revenue of about 20%. I contributed this Mat Piscatella (the NPD guy) tweet:

Which he then followed with this as a response to another tweet that has since been deleted:

Based on this, I don't think it can be reasonably argued that the appearance of EGS did not negatively affect PC game revenue.

I find it more interesting that he's blaming it on EGS splitting the market, but doesn't feel that the ever increasing number of high quality free games is having an effect. That logic seems suspect to me.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Thinking how great would be playing it on Steam, when i played the trailer...

"You're not in control"

:p

Maybe it's finally the time to try those Epic discount coupon things.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

I see, so now we're at the point where we demand that people's own money is owed to a corporation in the name of "competition" or "helping devs."

Cool, cool. Very cool.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I find it more interesting that he's blaming it on EGS splitting the market, but doesn't feel that the ever increasing number of high quality free games is having an effect. That logic seems suspect to me.

We are all free to draw our own conclusions. However, the idea that EGS hurt the market cannot be dismissed out of hand. Enough data exists to at the very least entertain the possibility.

Dec 6, 2017
US
"Hey cool, I didn't even realize Axiom Verge 2 was announced somehow. Ah timed exclusive, whatever, let's see when it hits consoles real quick...*click*"

R33110a65328a2f89599127afff382f0d

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

Seems like not quite enough context here to draw solid conclusions. What was the comparative drop on the console side that year? What sources of data does he have access vs not, etc. I mean I think it's reasonable to guess that EGS had an impact, but hard to formulate what that was and why without more info.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like not quite enough context here to draw solid conclusions. What was the comparative drop on the console side that year? What sources of data does he have access vs not, etc.

I couldn't say. He works for NPD, he has access to a lot of data that we don't. I think it's reasonable to assume, given that he is a professional in the field and, well, not Pachter, that he didn't draw that conclusion out of thin air. In any case, the possibility alone that EGS caused a drop in revenue is enough to express reservations about whether Epic's practices are really beneficial to developers beyond a select few.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how is whining about EGS still a thing? It's 2021 now.

If you don't want to use EGS, then don't use it, but driving by the threads to whine about it and make sure everyone knows how much you're not going to play insert innocent indie dev's game here is just trolling at this point

Good for Thomas. This partnership surely helped him make the game the best it could be without worry.
Most people are happy he's securing the bag for his family though.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Most people are happy he's securing the bag for his family though.

But it's so fun to make up or exaggerate a problem and then shoot it down. It is indeed possible to be both disappointed about arbitrary exclusivity and also be happy that a small team got to live with less uncertainty for a little while 👍

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I'm not trying to talk about what is right or wrong to believe in but PHEW, never not amazing to me that people would rather complain about a storefront for literal years than just...take like 3 minutes to download it? It's not ideal, of course. But damn haha

Anyway! Happ is a talented developer and I'm glad that he is able to keep making games in a way that make financial sense to him. First Axiom Verge ruled. Hoping for more of the glitched-out goodness here

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to talk about what is right or wrong to believe in but PHEW, never not amazing to me that people would rather complain about a storefront for literal years than just...take like 3 minutes to download it? It's not ideal, of course. But damn haha

Anyway! Happ is a talented developer and I'm glad that he is able to keep making games in a way that make financial sense to him. First Axiom Verge ruled. Hoping for more of the glitched-out goodness here
Haha, yeah, it's almost like needing to download a client unto itself isn't the issue.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Do people get as mad about other PC games that are exclusive to a storefront that isn't Steam or EGS? Like Crash Bandicoot 4, Mirror's Edge 2, etc.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I think this thread is proof enough that plenty of people care.

Yes, as I said before this happens in every thread where a new game is announced as EGS. There are also lots of people who are excited to play this, even if it's on EGS. The only thing to me that really matters at the end of the day are 2 things. 1, are people enjoying the game? If the store is that bad then they won't come back and things will settle down like everything else does. 2, is the developer able to keep financing the games we enjoy? Once we hear from developers being public they made the wrong choice with EGS and stop doing these deals. If they do that then there is the answer you are looking for.

Just like anything the developer will find out whether it was worth it or not to them. If you see the same developer do the same contract with their next game that will tell you all you need to know.

Do people get as mad about other PC games that are exclusive to a storefront that isn't Steam or EGS? Like Crash Bandicoot 4, Mirror's Edge 2, etc.
It's been asked before with games such as Call of Duty, one of the biggest franchises out there is no longer on Steam. Lots of people don't seem to be as vocal about that.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

Fairly certain it's because Epic pays to keep third-party games off of Steam specifically. Can't really think of any comparable case with other storefronts.

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017

There might be a fair argument in here regarding the long term revenue, but I am guessing the TIMED exclusivity helps hedge against this. Meaning - once the title finally hits steam, or GOG, etc... There is a subset who of users who will snub their nose at buying it due to the fact that they aren't a fan of EGS (or EGS practices, etc..), there is a subset of users who will no longer care about the game enough to buy it, and then there are those who will likely purchase the game on their platform of choice at some point now that it's available.