• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
we tried to say all this years ago, so imma just sip this here tea and be quiet
like people have literally been saying this since she appeared on the scene long enough for patterns to be noticed.
but she has defenders from all walks of life giving her the benefit of the doubt, and she's been stacking up fame too.
she may get her scooby doo mask moment, or she may not. she's already made it and all she has to do is be quiet
and people will be forced to do audio-forensics over her old interviews.

let's be real, her fan base was majority white and Asian and they ate that bullshit up. Anyone that says otherwise is full of shit.

Now her name is far more relevant and there's traction with the crap she knew she was doing for years.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No one is rejecting the point that Asian Americans are typecast, railroaded, and shut out in Hollywood. We're wondering what any of that that has to do with one specific actress's mockery of Black culture.

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
No one is rejecting the point that Asian Americans are typecast, railroaded, and shut out in Hollywood. We're wondering what any of that that has to do with one specific actress's mockery of Black culture.

it doesn't, it's apologists reaching to defend their people instead of just accepting this just simply isn't okay and moving on.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This part.
It just sounds worse.

She didn't want to make Asians look bad but she had no problem mocking Black people? That's the argument?

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Why do people think that the caricaturing of Black people is a subject up for debate here? Or that somehow their opinion is the one needed to truly verify anti-Blackness? Opening this thread just to nitpick Black people's lived experiences and feelings is trash, and our opinions on this as non-Black people are completely uncalled for here.

Can we please try shutting the fuck up for once?

May 14, 2021
Even if you believe her accent is legit, and that's a big IF, you can't over look the hypocrisy of her comparing doing an Asian accent to doing a minstrel show, while at the same time getting rich off her blaccent, and then that accent magically disappears when it comes time to talk to the press.

Kozmo

Jan 5, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): Dismissive and antagonistic commentary.
Who knows? I'm not in her head. Personally, I sometimes turn off my NYC accent in the work environment so that I come across as more "professional." Which also might not be the healthiest thing to do, so who am I to judge. I'm also not saying Black communities shouldn't be offended by this. Just saying there's a definite and material culture mix in some parts of NYC.

Guys, I can vouch for this. As someone who was occasionally labeled a "chigga" growing up, I naturally picked up different ways of speaking, depending on who I'm talking to. If I'm chilling with my homies I'm gonna talk one way. When speaking with my teachers I'll shift my tone. There is no malice, there is no intent to "steal" culture, there wasn't even any social media to speak of to somehow benefit from it. It simply comes naturally, and I hesitate to say it can be turned "off", because for the longest time it was how I felt most comfortable speaking. Now that I'm living in Hong Kong, I don't have any chance to speak this way, other than the occasional video call with my cousin back in NY.

If I'm going to be banned for this, fine. Just make sure you folks at Era do an introspection on yourselves when it comes to your views of acceptance.

I'll make my stance clear: The backlash is NOT justified.

Dec 12, 2017
Guys, I can vouch for this. As someone who was occasionally labeled a "chigga" growing up, I naturally picked up different ways of speaking, depending on who I'm talking to. If I'm chilling with my homies I'm gonna talk one way. When speaking with my teachers I'll shift my tone. There is no malice, there is no intent to "steal" culture, there wasn't even any social media to speak of to somehow benefit from it. It simply comes naturally, and I hesitate to say it can be turned "off", because for the longest time it was how I felt most comfortable speaking. Now that I'm living in Hong Kong, I don't have any chance to speak this way, other than the occasional video call with my cousin back in NY.

If I'm going to be banned for this, fine. Just make sure you folks at Era do an introspection on yourselves when it comes to your views of acceptance.

Why the fuck would she need to code switch on a show Desus and Mero? Two guys from the Bronx?
Stop misconstruing this as code switching

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you say "mocking black people" are you referring to the quotes in the OP or something else?

I mean Awkwafina in character is a minstrel show mocking black people.

She is not code switching. Y'all should look up what that actually is.

Nov 17, 2017
It's funny how people see the bans and so they are now trying to ignore black people's concerns in a different way by playing Devil'sAdvocate. "Oh I'm not saying this to defend Awkwafina BUT…"

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I mean Awkwafina in character is a minstrel show mocking black people.
Okay, well what I will say to that is I agree that her exaggerated accent is cringe and problematic, because regardless of her proximity to Hip Hop culture, the way in which she has appropriated it in her career has literally been stripping it out of it's cultural context for a novelty caricature.

I think that her using the minstrel show comparison to Asian actors doing a stereotypical Asian accent is a poor point of reference, especially in light of her own career, but outside of the use of "yellow face" as a descriptor for the historical mocking of Asian culture, there isn't quite an analog for the minstrel shows (at least that I am aware of) for the perpetuation of those stereotypes that someone can point to that is easily understandable. So I at least get it when PoC (Asians or otherwise) make the inarticulate comparison of racist Western media representation to be analogous to minstrel shows.

While I've also been critical of Awkwafina's use of a "blaccent" as the backbone of her career as ignorant at best, I think calling it mocking shows malicious intent that I haven't seen from her. Maybe people have posted examples in this thread that do show malicious intent, and that is what I was asking about.

Ashes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
She's a fucking a comedian, what do you really think?

How do you discount the possibility that you're undermining how popular and influential Black American culture is?

Mixed race Rapper/author Akala in his book, Natives: Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire, talks about rapping in an American style, when he first started performing. His sister, Ms Dynamite, told him off because it wasn't him, and told him to sing in his own voice.

He goes into some depth about the nuances of influence and inspiration. Why for example can't white people be inspired by Jesse Owens to run 100m sprints?

Jose Cintron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows? I'm not in her head. Personally, I sometimes turn off my NYC accent in the work environment so that I come across as more "professional." Which also might not be the healthiest thing to do, so who am I to judge. I'm also not saying Black communities shouldn't be offended by this. Just saying there's a definite and material culture mix in some parts of NYC.

I can attest to this as well.
Im hispanic and grew up in the public schools here in the city. Theres a definite switch of how I speak when Im at work/professional setting and when Im with my friends. My family/girlfriend is the same way.

Figured it was pretty common and never really saw it as a bad thing. Not gonna speak at a meeting the same way I order a bacon egg and cheese.

Oct 26, 2017
How do you discount the possibility that you're undermining how popular and influential Black American culture is?

Mixed race Rapper/author Akala in his book, Natives: Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire, talks about rapping in an American style, when he first started performing. His sister, Ms Dynamite, told him off because it wasn't him, and told him to sing in his own voice.

He goes into some depth about the nuances of influence and inspiration. Why for example can't white people be inspired by Jesse Owens to run 100m sprints?

tumblr_n90u98SqID1refhi9o6_250.gifv

Completely separate to the laughable comparison, the attempts to paint what she's doing as code switching from some other posters are hilarious.

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, well what I will say to that is I agree that her exaggerated accent is cringe and problematic, because regardless of her proximity to Hip Hop culture, the way in which she has appropriated it in her career has literally been stripping it out of it's cultural context for a novelty caricature.

I think that her using the minstrel show comparison to Asian actors doing a stereotypical Asian accent is a poor point of reference, especially in light of her own career, but outside of the use of "yellow face" as a descriptor for the historical mocking of Asian culture, there isn't quite an analog for the minstrel shows (at least that I am aware of) for the perpetuation of those stereotypes that someone can point to that is easily understandable. So I at least get it when PoC (Asians or otherwise) make the inarticulate comparison of racist Western media representation to be analogous to minstrel shows.

While I've also been critical of Awkwafina's use of a "blaccent" as the backbone of her career as ignorant at best, I think calling it mocking shows malicious intent that I haven't seen from her. Maybe people have posted examples in this thread that do show malicious intent, and that is what I was asking about.

I don't care about intent. I don't excuse racism. Ever.

The impact of those harmed is the only metric anybody should care about when defending those anybody thinks has good intentions. The only time she's even brought up her appropriation that we've seen is to hand wave it away.

It doesn't have to be malicious to be harmful. Black peoples needing to expend mental energy to explain why things hurt us is tiring.

I caught a ban for some stupid comments I said and had to think about my own allyship. Ultimately how I feel doesn't matter when I'm not the one impacted by what I said.

Im hispanic and grew up in the public schools here in the city. Theres a definite switch of how I speak when Im at work/professional setting and when Im with my friends. My family/girlfriend is the same way.

Figured it was pretty common and never really saw it as a bad thing. Not gonna speak at a meeting the same way I order a bacon egg and cheese.

This is not code switching. Maybe the term is new to some of y'all, but it's a thing that is we'll documented. It's especially silly to bring it up in a thread surrounding black culture and AAVE as some sort of defense for a person that only does it when it's on screen to make money.

Dec 12, 2017

Can we have a threadmark about reading this thread before posting?

Kozmo

Jan 5, 2018
Why the fuck would she need to code switch on a show Desus and Mero? Two guys from the Bronx?
Stop misconstruing this as code switching

I'm not aware that this backlash was specific to a TV show(s). I was agreeing with Churrific's post and off some of what I read from the first page. I'll check the thread out for more context, but I still need to share my opinions on this. It's important for me to know that I'm not viewed as culturally misappropriating just because I happen to speak with the occasional accent. And this is what I thought was happening here with Awkwafina.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not aware that this backlash was specific to a TV show(s). I was agreeing with Churrific's post and off some of what I read from the first page. I'll check the thread out for more context, but I still need to share my opinions on this. It's important for me to know that I'm not viewed as culturally misappropriating just because I happen to speak with the occasional accent. And this is what I thought was happening here with Awkwafina.

And there it is.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The feelings of the numerous Black posters in this thread and on this site were less important to you than an uninformed opinion that legit has nothing to do with what is being spoken of in the thread.

May 14, 2021

Her chosen stage name is an example of her mocking.

Oct 31, 2017
12 pages & all these bans over Awkwafina is wild. 2 weeks of not posting here cause you either resent black people that much and/or wanted to go against what folks on twitter been saying that bad... it's crazy

Look, you don't have to care about certain subjects that aren't as relevant to your life but I don't understand why y'all think nobody else should care either, especially when it's a topic that does have relevancy to their lives

I don't know about that. The long term chilling effect for one minority speaking about another is disturbing. For me at least, I'll be weary to comment on these kind of threads for fear upsetting people unintentionally.

It's so much easier to just not post when you don't care about a topic than to run up in the thread to argue people who do care about the topic. That makes sense, right?

Do you think "healthy discussion" is found where half of the people are replying to say that you shouldn't care because they don't care?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

I grew up in NYC too, but what she's doing isn't code switching. Me and her could have gone to the same school, we're damn near the same age. There's a difference between talking how you talk because that's the neighborhood you grew up in and what she's doing. What she's been doing isn't right. It's not code switching, it's an act. And as an act, it's not cool at all.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Tone Policing Minority Members
I don't care about intent. I don't excuse racism. Ever.

The impact of those harmed is the only metric anybody should care about when defending those anybody thinks has good intentions. The only time she's even brought up her appropriation that we've seen is to hand wave it away.

It doesn't have to be malicious to be harmful. Black peoples needing to expend mental energy to explain why things hurt us is tiring.

I caught a ban for some stupid comments I said and had to think about my own allyship.
I'm not saying it's not harmful. I agree that her ignorant use of AAVE to further her own career can have harmful consequences.

I'm saying if we are having a conversation about what it is she did, I get that the consequences for some may be the equivalent to Awkwafina mocking black culture, but saying that she is "mocking black culture" implies a malicious intent and I just think that in discussing the appropriation of black culture and AAVE that has become a part of Western/American pop culture, it's more useful to point to the specific cynical commodification by someone like Awkwafina, who is part of adding to the problem that can have malicious consequences, even when the intent isn't maliciousness but ignorance.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Not really trying to defend her too much b/c I don't know if she's faking it or not, but just offering my own personal anecdotal experience as an asian american growing up in NYC. I'll say that Awkwafina's blackcent is not unique here among NYC asian americans. I know plenty of asian americans with blackcents, and I know plenty that don't have one. It's just such a melting pot here in public schools growing up that there's been a free for all in terms of appropriation and swapping b/w the black and asian communities. In all honesty, it just sounds like a Queens accent to me, but I haven't listened to her for more than for a few minutes. I never thought to bat my eye at it on first impressions though.

do those people you know turn their blaccents off and on depending on whether or not they are doing a comedic role, stand up routine or internet video? If not then I'm not sure how that is relevant to the issue being discussed in this thread.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm kind of shocked how many people are going to bat for her, and so hard lol.

Like this is one the most open and shut cases I have seen on this forum. What she is doing is super blatant.
And its not like she is hiding it, it's all out in the open, it's how she has always positioned her career and how she is still doing it today, with no signs of stopping or feeling guilty about it.

It just so happens she is also a giant hypocrite on top of it all.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm kind of shocked how many people are going to bat for her, and so hard lol
This happens in literally every topic about black folks having an issue with literally anything anyone does short of the cops murdering someone on the word nigger actually being spoken.

And sometimes even then.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Her chosen stage name is an example of her mocking.
Which is kind of not just a problem with her but from any Hip Hop-adjacent non-black/brown person.

I think there reason it's become more of an issue is that her Hollywood career has taken her far from that realm, but if she was still just making music, the conversation would be different.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it's not harmful. I agree that her ignorant use of AAVE to further her own career can have harmful consequences.

I'm saying if we are having a conversation about what it is she did, I get that the consequences for some may be the equivalent to Awkwafina mocking black culture, but saying that she is "mocking black culture" implies a malicious intent and I just think that in discussing the appropriation of black culture and AAVE that has become a part of Western/American pop culture, it's more useful to point to the specific cynical commodification by someone like Awkwafina, who is part of adding to the problem that can have malicious consequences, even when the intent isn't maliciousness but ignorance.

It's the same thing.

I'm a large black man in America and wasting time differentiating malicious racism and ignorant racism is silly. The impact is the same.

I don't have the privilege to worry about what's in somebody's heart when their actions impact me and mine's negatively whether they mean it or not.

Kozmo

Jan 5, 2018
The feelings of the numerous Black posters in this thread and on this site were less important to you than an uninformed opinion that legit has nothing to do with what is being spoken of in the thread.

Cutting my losses here. It's clear I didn't read through the thread rushed to share my own feelings which didn't belong in this thread. Maybe one day there will be a more appropriate thread for Asia Era, but this ain't it. I am sorry to all my fellow black era posters for my insensitivity. Please note I do stand with you.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I read this thread and think about it, I'm just going to say if you're from NYC and are going to do like
Me and first think back to your own experiences, keep in mind Awkwafina in character is a much more exaggerated expression of this accent than whatever it is you or I spoke growing up and in school with friends etc.

Having seen her back when she first started with Vines, there is a genuine ramp up in how exaggerated it got as she kept making videos and songs. Just keep in mind the problem here is her act with the accent and her complete lack of publicly acknowledging what she's doing.