• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
What's wild to me is I think she could just connect a couple dots and say she shouldn't do any accents at all and get away with even a token apology but here we are with this coming up yet again.

i mean probably. Me personally, having lived in queens for about 3 years in my 20s (astoria and elmhurst) it didnt matter if you were from Jamaica queens, bayside, long island, forest hills, white, black, asian, hispanic, arab, etc if you were under 30, you typically talked like that because people wouldnt stay in their little bubble.

not excusing nora, but, just talking about the nyc experience
I went to college in queens and while I loved it, I couldn't really lay claim to knowing the nyc experience. I met a couple people who spoke with what might be called a blaccent but was in no way the norm in my experience so 🤷‍♂️

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Lol now we get the "it's only whites mad at this" argument. We (black folks) been talking about this women for literally years. Y'all don't listen.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
almost always these kinds of threads reveal some truly horrible takes

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

"well...ah..ok"

pinocchio-im-dead.gif

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think the code switching stuff is weird since she can clearly speak without using AAVE. It's not like she's Fat Joe, who clearly speaks consistently in what I would call a Bronx accent using heavy AAVE expressions. And has worked with black spaces for decades. Also, her blaccent is clearly exaggerated.

Jun 10, 2018
Chick is wack man. She had plenty of time to apologize for the shit accent she does. Also the idea that growing up with "hip hop" culture entitles you or gives you a reason for having a "blaccent" is bullshit. Plenty of non black people (myself included) grew up listening to rap and never switched to speaking like this broad.
No one would want to readily admit and say "I adopted AAVE because on some level I do not believe black culture is valuable enough to value or pay respect to the community it originates from" because they would rightfully be looked at as an asshat.

So instead the bassackwards "I grew up around it" excuse is coopted instead.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
some of these bans are hilarious lmao

people just never learn

fwiw cena is about the culture, especially during the Thuganomics era

The New Day recently even asked if he wanted to battle with them and Wale, and Cena respectfully declined, saying "it's a young man's game" lol

but back when he was the rapper wrestler, he was using an exaggerated accent, and now as a big movie star, its completely gone.

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
This isn't new. It's been covered every time she's in a big production.

Vulture wrote a longer piece on it in 2018. They weren't the only one. Lots of major outlets covered the issue (including Yahoo Movies, which is linked in a video below).

www.vulture.com

Who Really Owns the ‘Blaccent’?

While Awkwafina successfully imitates something in Crazy Rich Asians, it’s not black language.

It comes up every time she's in the news. Not sure what you're trying to imply by saying the "timing" is an "issue."

She answered a question about her used of blaccent in 2018 (while speaking without one).

She literally said that it is OK for her to do the accent because "as a people" Asian Americans are still trying to figure out their identity.

I don't think she really thought that answer through.

Yea sorry I presented it as new news. I saw it first on a Disney fan site, and read another article but they didnt include dates.

Thank you to everyone who explained things in more detail, it's a lot more complicated and frankly, worse than the articles suggest.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
but back when he was the rapper wrestler, he was using an exaggerated accent, and now as a big movie star, its completely gone.
I wouldn't say it was hugely exaggerated, but it's also been a good decade or so since I've heard those old promos, so I'll take your word on it. However, he's never tried to excuse/handwave the issue away like Awkwafina and say he refuses to do accents.

There's a pretty sizable difference in context that is being omitted.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it was hugely exaggerated, but it's also been a good decade or so since I've heard those old promos, so I'll take your word on it. However, he's never tried to excuse/handwave the issue away like Awkwafina and say he refuses to do accents.

Has he ever even been called out on it? He also has nothing to handwave cause hes white

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be a running theme here. None of the examples of other non-Black entertainers using AAVE/blaccents or what have you, can be shown to have had a whole-ass career trajectory based on that (same with Black folks making jokes at the expense of Asian accents). So some of them did a stint as a rapper....okay? They then grew up. Awkwafina hasn't.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, not that familiar with the situation, but if she's been doing this shit while being outspokenly against similar stuff being done for Asians then in many ways that makes it look way worse. I'm willing to forgive to an extent young people doing stupid shit out of ignorance because they can learn and grow past that, but you can't really claim ignorance if you've got the awareness to realize it's a shitty thing when it's being done against your group but have no qualms doing it to others. Like, at that point it's clear your criteria is whether or not you personally benefit or lose from this type of behavior and are perfectly fine doing something you know is shitty as long as you stand to benefit from it

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yea sorry I presented it as new news. I saw it first on a Disney fan site, and read another article but they didnt include dates.

Thank you to everyone who explained things in more detail, it's a lot more complicated and frankly, worse than the articles suggest.

The backlash centered around her and Shang-Chi is new. I just meant that her use of a blaccent and the refusal to apologize for it isn't new.

I haven't seen any interviews where she contradicts the answer she gave in 2018, so you'd presume she still thinks it is OK.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Has he ever even been called out on it?
Not to my knowledge (I even tried to google it during my previous reply). His fellow POC wrestlers certainly haven't at least, and from what I could find, they either didn't mind it or outright encouraged it.

The main thing is that during that entire time, Cena was always respectful of the culture. Awkwafina being hypocritical about the entire thing shows that she isn't.

raeaburame

May 9, 2019
Y'all really just hearing about this now? She ain't the first girl to drop the blaccent once she got big, black twitter tried to tell y'all in like 2017 lol

Witch of Miracles

One Winged Slayer
Jun 13, 2019
United Kingdom
This thread sure has alot of bans for what should be a pretty simple open and shut case, Awkwafina is a massive hypocrite.

Yeah, it's lame. It's something a lot of non-black celebs are guilty of, tbh...
Ariana Grande, Olivia Rodrigo recently too. I watched a clip of her on a IG live, and I got 2nd hand embarassment.

I don't follow Ariana Grande at all so when I saw pics of her here and there I thought she was black, never realised my error until I saw a pic of her during her nickelodeon days.

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
NinjaScooter explained it earlier but her stage name is derived from jokes like this:

People named after regular, everyday objects but spelled/pronounced differently.

The Key & Peele Substitute Teacher sketch is also derived from those kind of jokes but coming at it from a different angle. (It was posted earlier but I'm posting it again because it's funny as shit and the sole reason why the phrase "Insubordinate and churlish" is a part of my vocab.)
www.youtube.com

Substitute Teacher - Key & Peele

While taking attendance, inner-city substitute teacher Mr. Garvey has trouble adjusting to a classroom full of middle-class white students.About Key & Peele:...

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be a running theme here. None of the examples of other non-Black entertainers using AAVE/blaccents or what have you, can be shown to have had a whole-ass career trajectory based on that (same with Black folks making jokes at the expense of Asian accents). So some of them did a stint as a rapper....okay? They then grew up. Awkwafina hasn't.
Arent u basically describing awkwafina tho? Like her doing a stint as a rapper and using it then stopping?

from my understanding john cena apparently saved his wrestling career by doing the rapper/aave stuff. If you go back and look at those clips, he sounds nothing like that now. I never really liked john cena back in the days cause I just wasnt buying his image

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
She's a fucking corny ass clown and I'm glad it's being brought to light. I like a few movies with her tho and will watch Shang Chi but she's wack.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Arent u basically describing awkwafina tho? Like her doing a stint as a rapper and using it then stopping?

from my understanding john cena apparently saved his wrestling career by doing the rapper/aave stuff. If you go back and look at those clips, he sounds nothing like that now. I never really liked john cena back in the days cause I just wasnt buying his image
No. Because she still uses the fake accent and rapper name. The entire anti-Black shtick is an inseparable part of her identity, and as a result, she and her fans have found themselves in the position of having to defend and downplay that anti-Blackness to keep the charade going. This is different from Mark Wahlberg going by Marky Mark for a few years (a name that doesn't demean another race, btw), then deciding to drop the shtick because even he knew it was embarrassing. Again, when he is billed on a project today, he's billed as Mark Wahlberg. Not sure why Awkwafina in this Golden Age of representation feels she cannot go by her real name, or at least something that isn't a middle finger to Black people, but that might be another matter for another day.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. Because she still uses the fake accent and rapper name. The entire anti-Black shtick is an inseparable part of her identity, and as a result, she and her fans have found themselves in the position of having to defend and downplay that anti-Blackness to keep the charade going. This is different from Mark Wahlberg going by Marky Mark for a few years (a name that doesn't demean another race, btw), then deciding to drop the shtick because even he knew it was embarrassing. Again, when he is billed on a project today, he's billed as Mark Wahlberg. Not sure why Awkwafina in this Golden Age of representation feels she cannot go by her real name, or at least something that isn't a middle finger to Black people, but that might be another matter for another day.

yea she should drop the name, but I thought she stopped doing the blaccent

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
100% on the bolded.

But I do defo think rappaport is for sure culturally appropriating too

Oh he is, but it's different. He's effectively made his coin by being black culture adjacent with hip-hop documentaries and commenting in sports and trash black reality tv. But for him he's absorbed it simply as pop culture and has no underlying meaning for what's happening underneath which is why he has all those gaffes. He's the white editors at Complex😀

But, at least he doesn't turn the accent on or off depending on the gig.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why she continues to use her rap name. Back then she was as irrelevant as Kreayshawn.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
This has been a really illuminating thread. Thanks for the educational posts and examples, everyone. I always thought the Awkwafina name was corny but it's good to have a more thorough explanation as to why it's been and continues to be problematic along with the way she uses that accent.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Wasn't Cena's rap character modeled after Eminem?

That whole thing came into being because Stephanie heard Cena rapping backstage and thought it'd make a good "character."

I think bring Cena into the convo is kind of disingenuous because he's another guy like, Mark Wahlberg who completely dropped that shit entirely after acknowledging how bad that shit. That and WWE as a whole as a hotbed of fucking terrible stereotypes because it's run by an old racist shithead.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That whole thing came into being because Stephanie heard Cena rapping backstage and thought it'd make a good "character."

I think bring Cena into the convo is kind of disingenuous because he's another guy like, Mark Wahlberg who completely dropped that shit entirely after acknowledging how bad that shit. That and WWE as a whole as a hotbed of fucking terrible stereotypes because it's run by an old racist shithead.

i didnt even know he acknowledged it. I just know I never was feelin it. Him and mark acknowledged it? I know em made fun of Mark on trl to his face. Thats all i know about Mark.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Cultural Appropriation Over Multiple Posts
Why doesn't she use this natural accent of hers when she is interviewing? lol. I have family and friends from every borough of NYC. Just living in NYC during your youth doesn't mean you are an avid user of AAVE.
she does, watch her interview on TigerBelly, she has a very unique raspy ass twang to her voice

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anybody wants to see how little Era has changed in regards to this topic:

www.resetera.com

Crazy Rich Asians' Awkwafina & Cultural Appropriation

How do you guys feel about this article written by Muqing Zhang: https://www.colorlines.com/articles/performing-blackness-wont-fill-our-asian-american-culture-deficit-op-ed Basically first saw this article and her twitter account @muqingmzhang after Dumbfoundead and other rappers that I follow...

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If anybody wants to see how little Era has changed in regards to this topic:

www.resetera.com

Crazy Rich Asians' Awkwafina & Cultural Appropriation

How do you guys feel about this article written by Muqing Zhang: https://www.colorlines.com/articles/performing-blackness-wont-fill-our-asian-american-culture-deficit-op-ed Basically first saw this article and her twitter account @muqingmzhang after Dumbfoundead and other rappers that I follow...
Man too bad we have a statute of limitations.

giphy.gif

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
yea she should drop the name, but I thought she stopped doing the blaccent
It's hard to separate. Even on recent projects. She does have a distinct voice but it annoys me, even on animated movies. I think the whole accent is a foundation of who she is or her 'charisma'.

I got annoyed on that dragon movie when I heard her and that MCU movie has me nervous. Her blaccent is a problem and has rubbed me the wrong way.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah she has a clear accent, but it isn't anything like the accent she used as a rapper/early in her career.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
You can't be serious. This sounds nothing like her minstrel getup.

If you're going to gaslight try harder

ok, maybe she exaggerates it way more in her movies or whatever. honestly, haven't seen much of anything from her but i did remember noticing a slight urban dialect when she was interviewed here, thought she was from new york. maybe it's the smoker's rasp i'm hearing. absolutely do not see how my post could come off as gaslighting.

Oct 26, 2017
ok, maybe she exaggerates it way more in her movies or whatever. honestly, haven't seen much of anything from her but i did remember noticing a slight urban dialect when she was interviewed here, thought she was from new york. maybe it's the smoker's rasp i'm hearing. absolutely do not see how my post could come off as gaslighting.

The audacity.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's two-fold: 1) She isn't okay with Asian stereotyping but she'll happily stereotype Black culture when it suits her. Like, y'all realize even the name "Awkwafina" is deriding so-called "ghetto" Black names, right?.... Right????

To echo this sentiment: as someone who had no idea who she was before this thread, I've always assumed she was Black based on her name. Never seen anything with her in it but the name is clearly chosen for that purpose.

The card trick clip posted earlier in this thread is embarrassing and awful.

Dec 12, 2017
You haven't seen her work and you're making these kind of posts? You're right you're not gaslighting, you just don't know what fuck you're talking about. Enjoy your vacation.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
I find her incredibly cringey and the worst part of Raya the last dragon precisely because of that forced blaccent.