• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
These threads always make me think of one person, especially when the question of how non-Black people can partake in Black culture gets raised: Teena Marie.

For those who don't know, Teena Marie was a fairly popular R&B singer in the 80s. Came up through (and dated) Rick James. If you're a Black American, you know who she is (or you've heard her music). Extremely talented, was an R&B singer to her core. To the point that when she had an opportunity to cross over into mainstream Pop and leave that "Black shit" behind, she didn't. She was a pretty white woman with an extraordinary voice. She could have been a bigger presence in music if she wanted to be. But she didn't. She died making R&B music and working with Black artists, because that was the music she was called to make. And while I'm sure there were some Black people out there who criticized her, and yes white privilege was definitely something she benefited from, she was nonetheless respected. Adored even. Her music is a mainstay at the Cookout. When she passed, Black people mourned the fuck out of her.

And that's the difference. If you want Black people to "buy" you, to get you, if you don't want to be considered a culture vulture...well, the best and easiest thing you could do is not treat Black culture like it's disposable. Unfortunately, for people like Awkwafina, that's all Black culture is good for. Use it then lose it. She gets the smoke she asks for.

Anyway, listen to some Teena Marie.

This post is required reading.

Last edited:

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
i disagree with this aspect. Again, having lived in nyc, even if u were from a more white neighborhood, you still interactad with the rest of the city, especially as a youth, unless your parents kept u in a bubble with lock and key.
Why doesn't she use this natural accent of hers when she is interviewing? lol. I have family and friends from every borough of NYC. Just living in NYC during your youth doesn't mean you are an avid user of AAVE.

Last edited:

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
How much leeway do you get for growing up in that culture though? I was listening to an interview with a black comedian from the same area in New York and she mentioned that's just how people from there talk. Noted it wasn't appropriation when you grow up in it.
you get leeway from those you grew up with. but when you become famous and have an audience far beyond the old neighborhood, people will criticize you and that's understandable. They didn't grow up with you, they don't know that's just how it is there. They see a non Black person using AAVE while gaining fame and that's cringe at the very least.

Jun 10, 2018
Man she's a woman of colorfrom NYC. There's no appropriation. We even went to the same college and she's been like this all her life, as are most BiPoC from major metropolitan areas. This argument surrounding her just seems entirely trivial as a PoC who enjoys her work and most of the "anger" tends to come from white conservatives/suburban types who aren't exposed to this.
I want to highlight this particular logic here because THIS encapsulates people's mindset perfectly:

People really think because they are a minority that gives them a pass to perpetuate bigotry, and in relation to this story, anti-blackness specifically.

This also exemplifies how deeply embedded racism is in the general conscious when something like this can be typed in earnest without a shred of self awareness.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Why doesn't she use this natural accent of hers when she is interviewing? lol. I have family and friends from every borough of NYC. Just living in NYC during your youth doesn't mean you are an avid user of AACE.
All it takes is one look at black actors and actresses in their interviews to see this. You can see it in Denzel, Viola, etc. The accent is still there. It'll always be there. Just more subtle.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Man she's a woman of color from NYC. There's no appropriation. We even went to the same college and she's been like this all her life, as are most BiPoC from major metropolitan areas. This argument surrounding her just seems entirely trivial as a PoC who enjoys her work and most of the "anger" tends to come from white conservatives/suburban types who aren't exposed to this.
What the fuck is wrong with you?

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Niggas finna be on your head
🤦🏻‍♂️

I don't think this is the ringing endorsement you think it is.

I don't think calling a minority native New Yorker a "culture vulture" or appropriator is the insult people in this topic thinks it is. Maybe if you're from the Midwest or something.

I want to highlight this particular logic here because THIS encapsulates people's mindset perfectly:

People really think because they are a minority that gives them a pass to perpetuate bigotry, and in relation to this story, anti-blackness specifically.

This also exemplifies how deeply embedded racism is in the general conscious when something like this can be typed in earnest without a shred of self awareness.

The whole issue comes across as "she's not giving enough Asian" but because she's been raised around and exposed to AAVE all her life can't exhibit it in a way that feels organic to her Have you people ever been to a city?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Man she's a woman of color from NYC. There's no appropriation. We even went to the same college and she's been like this all her life, as are most BiPoC from major metropolitan areas. This argument surrounding her just seems entirely trivial as a PoC who enjoys her work and most of the "anger" tends to come from white conservatives/suburban types who aren't exposed to this.

You guys talk like you time travelled from a "How To Rap" VHS tape from Blockbuster video?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
A quick and easy way to negate legitimate criticism is to simply say "Only white people are upset about this"

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This has been coming up any time she's been in a big movie (Crazy Rich Asians, Ocean's 8) or getting award buzz (The Farewell). She needs to stop and apologize, cause continuing to not address this and saying hypocritical things just makes her look even more racist.

It's still baffling to me that she's still going by that stage name.

Oct 29, 2017
Awkwafina deserve every bit of criticism and blowback she is getting right now. She knows better, but better ain't paying her bills. The sad thing is, she's an great actress. She could have come out in front of this by saying she had to play an black caricature in order to find success because Hollywood wouldn't hire Nora Lum. But she rather play the fool.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't she use this natural accent of hers when she is interviewing? lol. I have family and friends from every borough of NYC. Just living in NYC during your youth doesn't mean you are an avid user of AAVE.

im not really arguing nora's situation but moreso that living in forest hills means you arent going to pick up aave and you arent "urban" enough or whatever. Thats not really what happens. You have friends and family there? So do I, but ive also lived there and witnessed with my own eyes what im talking about

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
She could have come out in front of this by saying she had to play an black caricature in order to find success because Hollywood wouldn't hire Nora Lum.
That would not have been better. Plenty of Asian and Asian-American entertainers are coming up without stomping on Black culture to get there.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
I'm so tired of minority voices, especially black voices, getting ignored when they point out shit that's fucked up, just because it involves someone in a thing you like.

You can still enjoy your movie AND agree that she's a hypocritical vulture for doing this. It isn't hard to agree with the fact that this is fucked up, she should apologize, and maybe they should cast someone else who isn't so blatant in their appropriation next time, especially when everyone you should be listening to is saying exactly that.

This isn't an attack aimed at you or your fun movie. I don't get why this is always so hard.

Jun 10, 2018
🤦🏻‍♂️

I don't think calling a minority native New Yorker a "culture vulture" or appropriator is the insult people in this topic thinks it is. Maybe if you're from the Midwest or something.

The whole issue comes across as "she's not giving enough Asian" but because she's been raised around and exposed to AAVE all her life can't exhibit it in a way that feels organic to her Have you people ever been to a city?
You have been rightfully banned, but I just want to state outright you're a trash racist individual no different from the Klan in my eyes.

I hope to God no black person has to deal with you, someone who is so ignorant to the anti-black biases you hold you probably believe you don't act or think with discriminatory intent.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
im not really arguing nora's situation but moreso that living in forest hills means you arent going to pick up aave and you arent "urban" enough or whatever. Thats not really what happens. You have friends and family there? So do I, but ive also lived there and witnessed with my own eyes what im talking about
You witnessed how non-black people used AAVE in professional settings and at home? We know that this is not the case. Stop walking around like clown shoes. I've spent my time in NYC, SF, and other cities throughout my life. Just living in an "urban area" doesn't make AAVE a natural accent.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
🤦🏻‍♂️

Density like white dwarf star matter

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You witnessed how non-black people used AAVE in professional settings and at home? We know that this is not the case. Stop walking around like clown shoes. I've spent my time in NYC, SF, and other cities throughout my life. Just living in an "urban area" doesn't make AAVE a natural accent.

I mean, you can believe what you want to believe, just stating my thoughts on that particular aspect. If you dont believe it, then dont.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This has been coming up any time she's been in a big movie (Crazy Rich Asians, Ocean's 8) or getting award buzz (The Farewell). She needs to stop and apologize, cause continuing to not address this and saying hypocritical things just makes her look even more racist.

It's still baffling to me that she's still going by that stage name.
She was in Crazy Rich Asians?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
preciate the disrespect. Lets just continue to insult people more as its really productive
How are you trying to be productive by admitting you're not Black, but then insisting the Black person in a topic about a mocking appropriation of Black culture is out of pocket lol.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me to my damn self, surveying this graveyard:
does-it-depress-you-alone.gif

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
The fact that she still uses the Awkwafina stage name really says enough about how little she cares about these criticisms. Even back when she first started getting some attention, specifically after releasing the "My Vag" song, I remember seeing several black people on tumblr point out how weird it was that she was speaking and rapping with that blaccent.

This is nothing new, and sadly I don't really think she'll address it ever. Not with all the people jumping to her defense or just ignoring it all.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I don't feel educated enough on this subject to say a lot. I always figured her accent was from where she grew up (that seems to be disputed in one of these tweets) but I don't really follow her, I honestly know her more from late night talk shows than acting gigs.

Some people clearly feel that before finding some fame she was using a "blaccent" and black vernacular to gain attention. Some Marvel fans are claiming they will boycott Shang-Chi because of the hypocrisy of stating she won't use Asian accents.

I'm curious what era has to say.

This isn't new. It's been covered every time she's in a big production.

Vulture wrote a longer piece on it in 2018. They weren't the only one. Lots of major outlets covered the issue (including Yahoo Movies, which is linked in a video below).

www.vulture.com

Who Really Owns the ‘Blaccent’?

While Awkwafina successfully imitates something in Crazy Rich Asians, it’s not black language.

Didn't say it was a force for good, don't put words in my mouth. All I'm saying is: blaccent = not good AND the timing is just to coincide with the movie and hence just feels like a issue raised now in order to stir shit.

It comes up every time she's in the news. Not sure what you're trying to imply by saying the "timing" is an "issue."

It's her blatant hypocrisy. Using an Asian accent is crossing the line for her, but also a blaccent is A ok for her.

She answered a question about her used of blaccent in 2018 (while speaking without one).

She literally said that it is OK for her to do the accent because "as a people" Asian Americans are still trying to figure out their identity.

I don't think she really thought that answer through.

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just waiting for any of her defenders to explain why it's okay that she only does it as a character and not when she speaks in interviews.

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
This isn't new. It's been covered every time she's in a big production.

Vulture wrote a longer piece on it in 2018. They weren't the only one. Lots of major outlets covered the issue (including Yahoo Movies, which is linked in a video below).

www.vulture.com

Who Really Owns the ‘Blaccent’?

While Awkwafina successfully imitates something in Crazy Rich Asians, it’s not black language.

It comes up every time she's in the news. Not sure what you're trying to imply by saying the "timing" is an "issue."

She answered a question about her used of blaccent in 2018 (while speaking without one).

She literally said that it is OK for her to do the accent because "as a people" Asian Americans are still trying to figure out their identity.

I don't think she really thought that answer through.

Man, I got to use the "I welcome the conversation" line when trying to avoid answering in the future.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
By not addressing it and not acknowledging that her blaccent is a misappropriation and caricature of AAVE, she also erases all the people and culture that her blaccent is based on.

Deleted member 10014

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 11, 2021
Yup. Like imho a terrible but true example? Michael Rappaport.

He's made so many "gaffes", I am not 100% convinced he's not full on racist in real life, lurking alt-right forums in his spare time, lol.

But at the same time I would never think his accent is fake or mocking. He clearly grew up around black people, he just took absolutely the wrong lessons from it. It never sounds off to me, even when he's saying borderline racist shit.

The problem is, and its been pointed out several times, her accent isn't a positive one. Its a stereotypical one from the 90's. To the point that when I heard it I thought she was a comedian doing a 'Malibu's Most Wanted' bit.

100% on the bolded.

But I do defo think rappaport is for sure culturally appropriating too

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
i mean probably. Me personally, having lived in queens for about 3 years in my 20s (astoria and elmhurst) it didnt matter if you were from Jamaica queens, bayside, long island, forest hills, white, black, asian, hispanic, arab, etc if you were under 30, you typically talked like that because people wouldnt stay in their little bubble.

not excusing nora, but, just talking about the nyc experience

Basically this. The tweet in the OP "oh she's from Forest Hills there aren't many black people there"?

TF? Austin street is where many kids hung out in high school, and still do. Midway theater was there and is the most popular theater. Also, Queens is the most diverse place ON EARTH. More languages are spoken there than anyone. Everyone goes EVERYwhere in Queens. And throughout the 5 boroughs for that matter. That shit was so tone-deaf and rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't find it farfetched that Awkwafina would have an accent. I'll be real I haven't watched her stuff, but the accent she has in the clips I've seen in the thread seem exaggerated and not really like a NY accent tbh. It seems like a caricature in some parts.

People of all ages and races speak with an accent in NY. It just is what it is. I have white friends who talk like that, and even talk with that caribbean patois because it's just how they grew up and the areas they lived in. No one batted an eye. It all depends where you grew up.

Awkwafina's issue isn't that she used an accent - some people code switch - people seem to have an issue that it seems like it was disposable to her.

Edit: I'm seeing her clips and more and more I'm like this isn't an NY accent so now I don't know how to feel.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Chick is wack man. She had plenty of time to apologize for the shit accent she does. Also the idea that growing up with "hip hop" culture entitles you or gives you a reason for having a "blaccent" is bullshit. Plenty of non black people (myself included) grew up listening to rap and never switched to speaking like this broad.