• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Her name is just literally those shitty fake old Facebook memes where "teachers" would talk about the "ghetto" names of their black students.
I feel like people are being way too obtuse about it so we have to keep simple.
Her name and way she talked was just seen as either mocking or appropriation. A black woman probably be even mocked for having the name Awakfina , staged or real. People have had this problem with her for years. But because of where she is now unfortunately any criticism will result convos going in circles

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
People are choosing their love for Marvel over recognizing blatant and harmful racism
I see some people getting banned defending her simply because she was cast for a marvel film. Because some people somehow believe that marvel actors can do no wrong but of course this is unacceptable. She used racist caricature to get to where she is right now and wish the hardcore marvel fanbase would see it and not defend her.
Oh I get it now, it's the DC part that got me confused.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
These threads always make me think of one person, especially when the question of how non-Black people can partake in Black culture gets raised: Teena Marie.

For those who don't know, Teena Marie was a fairly popular R&B singer in the 80s. Came up through (and dated) Rick James. If you're a Black American, you know who she is (or you've heard her music). Extremely talented, was an R&B singer to her core. To the point that when she had an opportunity to cross over into mainstream Pop and leave that "Black shit" behind, she didn't. She was a pretty white woman with an extraordinary voice. She could have been a bigger presence in music if she wanted to be. But she didn't. She died making R&B music and working with Black artists, because that was the music she was called to make. And while I'm sure there were some Black people out there who criticized her, and yes white privilege was definitely something she benefited from, she was nonetheless respected. Adored even. Her music is a mainstay at the Cookout. When she passed, Black people mourned the fuck out of her.

And that's the difference. If you want Black people to "buy" you, to get you, if you don't want to be considered a culture vulture...well, the best and easiest thing you could do is not treat Black culture like it's disposable. Unfortunately, for people like Awkwafina, that's all Black culture is good for. Use it then lose it. She gets the smoke she asks for.

Anyway, listen to some Teena Marie.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
People are choosing their love for Marvel over recognizing blatant and harmful racism

i don't think it's just that

awkwafina is like catnip to these guys and every time her is brought up in any awkwafina topic (which is a lot since for some reason, she is cast in a shit ton of films) people get angry that the person they stan is racist

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
These threads always make me think of one person, especially when the question of how non-Black people can partake in Black culture gets raised: Teena Marie.

For those who don't now, Teena Marie was a fairly popular R&B singer in the 80s. Came up through (and dated) Rick James. If you're a Black American, you know who she is (or you've heard her music). Extremely talented, was an R&B singer to her core. To the point that when she had an opportunity to cross over into mainstream Pop and leave that "Black shit" behind, she didn't. She was a pretty white woman with an extraordinary voice. She could have been a bigger presence in music if she wanted to be. But she didn't. She died making R&B music and working with Black artists, because that was the music she was called to make. And while I'm sure there were some Black people out there who criticized her, and yes white privilege was definitely something she benefited from, she was nonetheless respected. Adored even. Her music is a mainstay at the Cookout. When she passed, Black people mourned the fuck out of her.

And that's the difference. If you want Black people to "buy" you, to get you, if you don't want to be considered a culture vulture...well, the best and easiest thing you could do is not treat Black culture like it's disposable. Unfortunately, for people like Awkwafina, that's all Black culture is good for. Use it then lose it. She gets the smoke she asks for.

You didn't have to bust out the Teena Marie. She's too good for this place.

EDIT: But since we're here:

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Huh, I always thought she was black and asian.

I'm 1/4 black but I look mexican all the way, I can't get away with doing anything black in public because of it, lol.

I'm curious how awkwafina ended up taking on a black accent to rise through showbiz and I don't want to assume she did it out of bad faith, since the internet is really quick to judge, but I do believe she is resposible to respond for it specially since she seems to be invested in using race as a brand.
There are videos in this very thread showing her use the "blaccent" as the butt of a joke in skits and scenes. She's using it to be funny. She's mocking black folks. Actually, yes, you can easily assume she did this in bad faith. She still goes by Awkwafina and has never apologized.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I just have to ask, would some of you guys feel that this unacceptable racist form of cultural appropriation not be ok if this person was cast for a DC movie. This is certainly not ok regardless of whether this person is a part of your favorite fantasy cinematic universe and I wish some people could set aside their fanaticism to see it.

Ehh, this isn't fanboy wars. People being shitty is a universal trait, and its probably the one unifying factor in these non predominantly black scenes. Both are American pop culture properties pumped out by studio with mostly white execs, so the built in soft racism is gonna be there overtly or not.

For those who don't now, Teena Marie was a fairly popular R&B singer in the 80s. Came up through (and dated) Rick James. If you're a Black American, you know who she is (or you've heard her music). Extremely talented, was an R&B singer to her core. To the point that when she had an opportunity to cross over into mainstream Pop and leave that "Black shit" behind, she didn't. She was a pretty white woman with an extraordinary voice. She could have been a bigger presence in music if she wanted to be. But she didn't. She died making R&B music and working with Black artists, because that was the music she was called to make. And while I'm sure there were some Black people out there who criticized her, and yes white privilege was definitely something she benefited from, she was nonetheless respected. Adored even. Her music is a mainstay at the Cookout. When she passed, Black people mourned the fuck out of her.

She signed to Cash Money at the end of her career! Talk about a real one.

Oct 26, 2017
Then what's the purpose of people posting in this thread if there's no engagement? I googled and I did not see it hence asking.

I'm not American so our perspectives differ.
But I'm also not white, so I do understand racism. Infact I'm familiar with the insidious and subtle kind of racism because that's what exists in UK.

You must be blind if you think there's been no engagement in this thread.

P.S. Let's fuck off with the myth that the racism in the UK is "insidious and subtle" too while we're at it.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are videos in this very thread showing her use the "blaccent" as the butt of a joke in skits and scenes. She's using it to be funny. She's mocking black folks. Actually, yes, you can easily assume she did this in bad faith. She still goes by Awkwafina and has never apologized.
I'm seeing the videos, I can see that.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how, if someone can explain it then I'd concede. Because if it's the spelling then isn't it simply because the name Aquafina is a trademark by Pepsi and she had to spell it differently to avoid getting sued?

I'll give you a hint. It's why this skit is so funny.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
I hope she got paid…

Didn't the whole Meghan Markle thing kind of erase the idea that UK's racism was subtle? Lol

It's literally never been subtle here, people just like looking the other way.

EDIT: Our Prime Minister has articles in national newspapers calling black people "piccaninnies" with "watermelon smiles". Subtle.

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
Same problem I have with people doing "Mexican Accent" for laughs in movies or just to show that they are Mexican.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I can 100% see it with her and it's not really out of nowhere as it is a response to the interview, so she's bringing that energy herself. Very definition of a culture vulture.

And there's a pretty big difference between growing up in NYC and having that affectation and using it as a gimmick to get on and then immediately dumping it when you've conveniently made it.

She's obviously not the first, nor the last, but it deserves to be called out when it happens as it is in fact really fucking shitty and insulting. That Paul Mooney quote def comes to mind.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Huh, I always thought she was black and asian.

I'm 1/4 black but I look mexican all the way, I can't get away with doing anything black in public because of it, lol.

I'm curious how awkwafina ended up taking on a black accent to rise through showbiz and I don't want to assume she did it out of bad faith, since the internet is really quick to judge, but I do believe she is resposible to respond for it specially since she seems to be invested in using race as a brand.

The bad faith is because she hasn't been visible in the black community in any meaningful way. She has not injected herself to be known in our culture or with out people. Her goal was wider Hollywood and she made herself a Black Caricature to stand out. Any interview you look up, she turns the act off and she's just "Nora"

That's not what someone with actual cultural roots does. We (as in black people) HAVE to code switch because us expressing our cultural roots demeans our value in "society's eyes". Yet non black people adopt our mannerisms and get viewed as "quirky" or "exotic"

People have expressed this in many different ways, but what alot of people only seem to care about is the idea that we're saying "nonblack people arent allowed to participate in black culture"

No, you can participate but you need to be authentic, respectful, and actual exist and love around the people you're trying to assimilate with. Thats easily the rule for any culture IMO

Theres a reason why Jack Harlow doesnt get smoke being a popular modern white rapper, cuz he actually respects us (at this point in time)

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna post "At the end of the day she's just inauthentic"

But other folks got to it with better explanations of how little she's actually embedded in the culture she's used to elevate herself, which is the actual problem at core

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I was gonna post "At the end of the day she's just inauthentic"

But other folks got to it with better explanations of how little she's actually embedded in the culture she's used to elevate herself, which is the actual problem at core

straight up the best one sentence summary of it all

Its exactly akin to some internet dork claiming to know about Japanese Culture and all they do is watch anime, nothing else

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
The fact that you could type all of this, and not once acknowledge that it's Black culture specifically that we're talking about here is kind of the issue.

There's a reason why a lot of Black people are so raw about this. It's because over the generations we've seen our culture just get taken. And taken. And taken and taken. We get none of the benefits for it, and hell, as this post unintentionally highlights, we don't even get credited for it. Black culture, and thus Black people, only exists to be commoditized, but not actually valued.

Awkwafina's just parroting some nebulous American culture that's dominant in the region of the country she grew up. It goes down more smoothly to put it that way than to acknowledge that she's parroting Black people, historically one of the most maligned groups in this country.
You're not wrong. And it's cringe as hell when people can't or won't acknowledge it.

But dude, if you live in LA or NY, a looooot of young people (and ESPECIALLY music/fashion industry adults) talk with the blaccent when they have no business doing so. At some point that's just how it is; and if you try to bring it up with these people they'll always say: "well my black friends have never had a problem with it.." and so forth and so forth. So what's the remedy?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
People have expressed this in many different ways, but what alot of people only seem to care about is the idea that we're saying "nonblack people arent allowed to participate in black culture"

No, you can participate but you need to be authentic, respectful, and actual exist and love around the people you're trying to assimilate with. Thats easily the rule for any culture IMO
It's as I said, people don't inherently respect the thought that we have the right to be the purveyors of own culture. They think that we should be grateful people like Awkwafina even bother to look our way.

So what's the remedy?
Start checking people.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I know plenty of people from New York who talk like how "Awkwafina" talks, and they all comes from different backgrounds and ethnicities. Depending on what borough you're from, it's just part of the culture.

The difference is, they're ten toes with their authenticity. Awkwafina ain't.

Yeah, it isn't usually something that comes or goes in its entirety the way it looks to be in the videos I've seen of her.

I won't say I speak in one way or another, but due to where I grew up and the people I grew up with I find myself speaking in a mix. A lot of white folks I think see it as weird, but it's just how I talk. I grew up in Brentwood NY and literally had no white friends until high school when we moved to Central Islip.

I use phrases all the time that I think the white folk around here don't usually hear. I know my wife always tells me that I keep saying things she has never heard.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong. And it's cringe as hell when people can't or won't acknowledge it.

But dude, if you live in LA or NY, a looooot of young people (and ESPECIALLY music/fashion industry adults) talk with the blaccent when they have no business doing so. At some point that's just how it is; and if you try to bring it up with these people they'll always say: "well my black friends have never had a problem with it.." and so forth and so forth. So what's the remedy?

There is a difference between growing up around a different culture, whether you are white, black, asian, hispanic, whatever, and having that influence the way you speak, act, dress, ect...and having an over the top, inauthentic, mocking play on a cultural accent (with accompanying stage name) that you can turn on and off whenever its convenient. Its very clearly just an act. A prop she uses to advance her career on the back of black culture. People acting as if that is the issue here and continually playing the "but she grew up in New York (which from the sounds of it was a white, affluent part of New York) do not seem to be arguing in anything resembling good faith.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The bad faith is because she hasn't been visible in the black community in any meaningful way. She has not injected herself to be known in our culture or with out people. Her goal was wider Hollywood and she made herself a Black Caricature to stand out. Any interview you look up, she turns the act off and she's just "Nora"

That's not what someone with actual cultural roots does. We (as in black people) HAVE to code switch because us expressing our cultural roots demeans our value in "society's eyes". Yet non black people adopt our mannerisms and get viewed as "quirky" or "exotic"

Theres a reason why Jack Harlow doesnt get smoke being a popular modern white rapper, cuz he actually respects us (at this point in time)
Thanks for answering me, I like the way you put it. I can see how respect is the main reason why she is getting called out, since she seems shameless in her disposable use of black culture, I wonder if she believed she could get away with it due to her minority status.

I also get that there is touchy subject when it comes to the way the black culture is exploited, I see it a lot with my grandma, who is black, where she is very defensive about anything that comes from her culture, the good and the bad, specially when others who are not black try to make use of it. I guess this comes from literal generations of explotation and being treated as second class citizens.

Personally I find it hard to engage with black culture due to how it makes an effort to gatekeep does who are not in the know of how it works, even if it is part of my heritage. Sure they are nice enough, but I don't know I find it hard to relate or feel truly welcome, it kinda reminds me of our own mexican tendency to pull down others who try to rise above our means. It doesn't help that my grandma is abusive as hell, lol.

Anyway, I got sidetracked, I can kinda see what awkafina was going for, the showbusiness gig sounds awfully competitive and most people who thrive on it would do anything to get any edge they can, there is a reason why most people there can be considered horrible people by most standards end up making it in hollywood. I personally think it's human nature to use any resource available to get ahead. But also, it's clear she should be held responsible for taking advantage of a culture that has been exploited enough and the implications of doing so, and as most people have said in this thread, learn to respect the culture that she took advantage of. I guess that would be a way to solve things, even if it's not as extreme as some would like.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
this thread went from white people twitter to black people twitter in less than ten pages. it's wild

but yeah, awkwafina needs to look back, see what she has done, and learn from her mistakes. cherry-picking certain aspects of the black community while ignoring the struggles faced by that community is bad and has sadly been normalized from being the source of other people's amusement for years.

white allies know that blackface is offensive. maybe if they researched *why*, then they would see why awkwafina messed up here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Can someone find me Awkwafinas black friend? Where she learn it from? Never seen the chick next to any black people. Lol I got so curious (and bored) I went to do research and found this

The joke is when she actually with the niggas the blaccent is turned off lol

If there's any time to bring out the 'Waddup Homies!' it's in that intentionally hip-hop POC environment, but she knows she's on tv and white people are watching for future gigs, lol

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
straight up the best one sentence summary of it all

Its exactly akin to some internet dork claiming to know about Japanese Culture and all they do is watch anime, nothing else

Awkwafina is a weeb. But...niggas.

(Hi! Black person born and raised in Los Angeles here! We think it's corny as when non-Black people from LA and NY do it too. People just don't listen to us.)

For me at least, I think the remedy is to just be authentic. That seems obvious and too simplistic a response. But, like I said earlier, I can usually tell when someone is expressing "Blackisms" because that's what they were raised around (and thus, it's intrinsic to their own culture), versus someone who's mimicking it for cred...like Awkwafina.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ

I don't know if it's the remedy, but Nora as a celebrity reaching new peaks of success and fame (a rise from the base of appropriation/mockery) could contribute to collective growth by being publicly introspective and apologizing to set an example for other non-black people participating in uncool appropriation.

Dec 12, 2017
Awkwafina is definitely a case of taking things too far, to the point of where her speech feels like a jab at AAVE, but if you grew up in NYC you and everyone around you was doing this to some degree. Anecdotally, this happened a lot in middle/high school, and kind of receded after that. If I had to guess, exposure to black culture/speech drops off dramatically for many people in the city after losing that avenue(public school) of easy interaction. I don't know where the line is between Black vernacular being subsumed into the pop lexicon and "dressing up as black", but the way she speaks(at least in that clip) pretty clearly crosses it and becomes a gross parody.
That literally would make sense if she talked like that naturally, but she clearly doesn't. It's a caricature.

The fact that her blaccent is the only way people connect her with black culture is a joke.

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
There is a difference between growing up around a different culture, whether you are white, black, asian, hispanic, whatever, and having that influence the way you speak, act, dress, ect...and having an over the top, inauthentic, mocking play on a cultural accent (with accompanying stage name) that you can turn on and off whenever its convenient. Its very clearly just an act. A prop she uses to advance her career on the back of black culture. People acting as if that is the issue here and continually playing the "but she grew up in New York (which from the sounds of it was a white, affluent part of New York) do not seem to be arguing in anything resembling good faith.
Right. And signs of them being inauthentic is who they surround themselves with. My sis hubby is polish, grew up around hella black people has some black aspects to his persona BUT he's authentic to me where like ALL his groomsmen were black(I didn't even realize the shit till I looked at pictures lol) vs some person who just wears the culture on their sleeve and just turns shit off, doesn't actually embrace shit etc. it's easy as hell to tell who non-white pretty much been around the culture and the ones who are just emulating shit.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Not American so just wondering, what are thinking of as an authentic Asian American accent then? I can get why the cultural appropriation occurs, black culture still feels like the only American minority culture that isn't seen as foreign. Are Asian Americans expected to assimilate to white culture?
A worthwhile thing to check out here may be "cultural melting pot" versus other models.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone find me Awkwafinas black friend? Where she learn it from? Never seen the chick next to any black people. Lol I got so curious (and bored) I went to do research and found this

The joke is when she actually with the niggas the blaccent is turned off lol

One of the things with her that people question is that she claims she grew up around black people her whole life, which is why she talks like that, but in her show there are no black characters(I haven't seen it, but I remember that being a big talking point).

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

Apologize for it really. I can't speak for LA but in NYC it's how many of us grew up. To me it's very normal but she's exposed to a much wider audience than what was us stupid teens in Queens and Brooklyn watching her dumb Vines when she first started. She was influenced by the culture around her to varying degrees I'll say since I don't actually know her, and this thread like the last time it happened, is about wanting her to acknowledge it at the very least.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
this story is perpetual

never goes away

edit: should clarify just in case - this story doesn't go away because she's a ridiculous hypocrite and it should keep coming up

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't know if it's the remedy, but Nora as a celebrity reaching new peaks of success and fame (a rise from the base of appropriation/mockery) could contribute to collective growth by being publicly introspective and apologizing to set an example for other non-black people participating in uncool appropriation.

That's a good point. She's potentially at a really good opportunity to set an example or inform non-black people on this type of issue.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah it was obvious she doesn't really talk like that.
There's some genuine situation where non-black people can develop a blaccent but this 100% isn't one of them.

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
It's shameful that she hasn't apologized yet. Just say, "Yeah, I messed up. I needed a gimmick to stand out." Cause that's all it is/was to her, like, "Oh, look at the Asian girl talking all ghetto. This is so funny because it goes against expectations!" 😒

But she won't cause she doesn't care. Just wanted to pander to white people. Which is why her ass knew better than to talk like that around two Black guys.