• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Her quote is specifically about using Asian accents to portray Asian characters. Whether or not her use of a blaccent is appropriate of unrelated to this quote in my opinion and people are intentionally reading her as just saying "I don't do accents" in order to dunk on her for it.

you couldnt be anymore dense

Ill explain it for other blockheads in a simple sentence.

In her interview, she states she would never do performative minstrel acts that demean her people, yet she made her entire early career doing just that with black culture.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Which shows she is hypocritical because she is fine putting on another culture's accent, which is what the controversy is.

What I get from her comment is that she doesn't want to be cast as an Asian person, presumably an Asian American, who talks with a thick Asian accent. Given that she herself is Asian, any character she plays on camera will automatically be Asian, and she'd prefer to not play some stereotypical Asian immigrant character. If she's playing an Asian person who speaks in AAVE then she's portraying an Asian person who doesn't use an Asian accent, and is therefore staying true to her quote.

Now of course, Awkwafina overwhelmingly portrays Asian people who speak in AAVE, to the point where complaints about cultural appropriation are more than valid. My only point is that a lot of the quotes in the OP are misrepresenting what she said as a blanket "no accents" rule instead of "no Asian accents" as a means of calling her a hypocrite.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
User Banned (2 weeks): dismissing concerns surrounding cultural appropriation
"Blaccent"? That has the same bogus energy as an inner city child telling another they "sound white" when speaking proper English. I agree with the term "minstrel act", I'm shocked I never considered it that.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Her quote is specifically about using Asian accents to portray Asian characters. Whether or not her use of a blaccent is appropriate of unrelated to this quote in my opinion and people are intentionally reading her as just saying "I don't do accents" in order to dunk on her for it.

Putting on a horribly mangled version of another race's dialect to make yourself more interesting...

...I dunno, pretty worthy of critique!

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

...how are you not seeing this?

May 14, 2021
I grew up in the same area as her, even though I'm much older. She said nothing that would have seemed offensive to me and I'm Filipino as well, but I more so associate myself as a "southern Californian" (silly I know)

These are just mannerisms that you pick up and in turn replicate when you live in a certain area

Everyone here says "my bad" but should that been seen as cultural appropriation?
Which culture is "my bad" associated with? I've played sports with people of many races for many years and it's just a thing everyone says.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What I get from her comment is that she doesn't want to be cast as an Asian person, presumably an Asian American, who talks with a thick Asian accent. Given that she herself is Asian, any character she plays on camera will automatically be Asian, and she'd prefer to not play some stereotypical Asian immigrant character. If she's playing an Asian person who speaks in AAVE then she's portraying an Asian person who doesn't use an Asian accent, and is therefore staying true to her quote.

Now of course, Awkwafina overwhelmingly portrays Asian people who speak in AAVE, to the point where complaints about cultural appropriation are more than valid. My only point is that a lot of the quotes in the OP are misrepresenting what she said as a blanket "no accents" rule instead of "no Asian accents" as a means of calling her a hypocrite.
She also has the option of just speaking how she normally does.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): dismissing concerns surrounding cultural appropriation
I mean, the context of the two different types of accents are quite different.

One is an accent mostly created by white people to make fun of asian people.
One is an accent naturally formed in african american communities.

Sure, an argument can be made that she appropriated other people's culture, but it makes sense that she wouldn't want to do an accent that's historically been used to mock and belittle asian people, while still being okay with doing an accent which by all intents and purposes, seems to be a positive and revelatory one.

Also, it's a tricky subject when it comes to two separate POC groups. If she took something from white people, it wouldn't be weird, but since she took something from african american people, we start getting into the territory of "which of these two groups is the most oppressed".

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, she is staying true to her quote. If I put on a Jamaican accent like if I watched too much Cool Runnings, I also don't break my quotes because I never said I wouldn't. But it would be racist.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
But see that's the thing, then it wouldn't really be a "blaccent" as the term is used.

Can't speak for every Black person (obviously), but I can usually tell the difference between a non-Black person who grew up around Black people and naturally absorbed the culture, versus a person that is simply mimicing Black culture (either because they like it, or because they see dollar signs). Awkwafina is very much the latter. And to me, that's what "blaccent" is. It's like, you're a fan. You're an obsessive fan of a culture. I feel like there's a word for that...

Yup. Like imho a terrible but true example? Michael Rappaport.

He's made so many "gaffes", I am not 100% convinced he's not full on racist in real life, lurking alt-right forums in his spare time, lol.

But at the same time I would never think his accent is fake or mocking. He clearly grew up around black people, he just took absolutely the wrong lessons from it. It never sounds off to me, even when he's saying borderline racist shit.

I mean, the context of the two different types of accents are quite different.

One is an accent mostly created by white people to make fun of asian people.
One is an accent naturally formed in african american communities.

Sure, an argument can be made that she appropriated other people's culture, but it makes sense that she wouldn't want to do an accent that's historically been used to mock and belittle asian people, while still being okay with doing an accent which by all intents and purposes, seems to be a positive and revelatory one.

Also, it's a tricky subject when it comes to two separate POC groups. If she took something from white people, it wouldn't be weird, but since she took something from african american people, we start getting into the territory of "which of these two groups is the most oppressed".

The problem is, and its been pointed out several times, her accent isn't a positive one. Its a stereotypical one from the 90's. To the point that when I heard it I thought she was a comedian doing a 'Malibu's Most Wanted' bit.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I don't often speak on topics like these because I always feel like I'm probably wrong or not educated enough, but I guess I'll take a shot. What she is doing seems hypocritical to me. Not something g worthy of her being attacked by everyone on the internet, but something that definitely warrants a "I did do that, and I didn't realize how it could bother another culture in the same way having to do an Asian accent bothers me. I know better now, and I'll do better."

As far as appropriation in general, I feel a few different ways about it. If it's used mockingly, then there's no question, it's fucked. If it's done for the purposes of stealing roles and seeking financial gain, its fucked. BUT, if you're a kid who spends all of their time with people of another culture and you adopt an accent or some other aspect of their culture…..I don't have an issue with it. It happens, and it's natural. People I know that moved down to Georgia come to visit with the thickest accent, and they don't even know it happened.

I know this is touchy and I know this is where I may be wrong, but I'm definitely open to learning. I've just seen so many kids growing up who were picked on terribly and found their only friends in groups from other cultures. Over time they would appropriate certain aspects of that culture. If they were attacked the way I see some people attacked, I honestly feel like they would have committed suicide. This is what makes me divided.

Again, if anything I'm saying is wrong, I apologize as I have no intention of offending anyone. I'm learning every day, and I'm the farthest thing from perfect.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns of Racism
I must admit, for as progressive as I consider myself on most issues, I find myself often not relating to most of these cultural appropriation threads. I just don't see this hypocritical at all based on my very limited knowledge. She grew up in Queens, New York and seemingly was a part of the sort of culture we associate the "blaccent" with, or at least it became an exaggerated part of her personality or performance. She didn't grow up in an Asian country, so it would be weird for her to put on an Asian accent if she's not comfortable with it because it feels inauthentic to her or she doesn't want to be typecast.

I think ultimately the reason I'm often dubious about these sorts of topics is it feels oddly like cultural segregation. Like unless you are of a certain cultural or ethnic background, you can't use any of the trappings that we associate with that culture or else it's somehow wrong. That's really odd and not helpful or healthy I don't think. Obviously there's real, harmful cultural appropriation that has happened and continues to happen. But I think for some there is no middle ground or nuance and personally I find that really troubling.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must admit, for as progressive as I consider myself on most issues, I find myself often not relating to most of these cultural appropriation threads. I just don't see this hypocritical at all based on my very limited knowledge. She grew up in Queens, New York and seemingly was a part of the sort of culture we associate the "blaccent" with, or at least it became an exaggerated part of her personality or performance. She didn't grow up in an Asian country, so it would be weird for her to put on an Asian accent if she's not comfortable with it because it feels inauthentic to her or she doesn't want to be typecast.

I think ultimately the reason I'm often dubious about these sorts of topics is it feels oddly like cultural segregation. Like unless you are of a certain cultural or ethnic background, you can't use any of the trappings that we associate with that culture or else it's somehow wrong. That's really odd and not helpful or healthy I don't think. Obviously there's real, harmful cultural appropriation that has happened and continues to happen. But I think for some there is no middle ground or nuance and personally I find that really troubling.

Then. Why. Does. She. Only. Talk. This. Way. For. A. Character. And. Not. In. Interviews?

Why are the options bite off black culture or talk in an Asian accent when she has shown she does neither in regular conversation? Surely you understand why her performance getting her success while black people who speak like this on the daily are punished for not sounding smart or speaking white enough is problematic?

Why is this so hard to see?

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I grew up in the same area as her, even though I'm much older. She said nothing that would have seemed offensive to me and I'm Filipino as well, but I more so associate myself as a "southern Californian" (silly I know)

These are just mannerisms that you pick up and in turn replicate when you live in a certain area

Everyone here says "my bad" but should that been seen as cultural appropriation?
If you're Filipino why would it be offensive to you?
The point is she talks with a different accent most of the times, and sometimes (like in those short clips) she puts on another accent,, followed by using expressions that are considered AAVE. That's where the problem comes from. It's not like how she talks all the time, it's when she wants to sound cool, and the way she does it is by imitating black culture.

I think the bigger problem here, like you said, is things you pick up because black culture has become so mainstream, you see it everywhere and you forget where it comes from. I don't think Olivia is a culture vulture, or whatever you call it. She's just a teenager, but she's on social media, she hears people talking like this and saying certain things and goes along with it.

Oct 27, 2017
As expected, this thread is already turning into a graveyard.

As much as Era champions itself as an A L L Y of progress, they sure do fuck up every intersectional thread that comes up.

Here's a thought: If you're not Black or Asian, maybe..... try listening for the most part? And if you are Black or Asian, come with a nuanced understanding of the other's experience in this situation? It's really not that hard.

Try more than not at all.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
What's blaccent? I mean, I get it's in some way emulating an accent associated with black people, but what are the characteristics that define it? I listened to the video clip that was posted in the first page but I didn't recognize anything specific about the way she was singing.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017

This post is goated.

Aint no way this nigga said cultural segregation and not cackle at what they were typing.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Until she goes by her government name & acknowledges her rise to fame was riding off Black cultural appropriation I don't know what's there to "discuss".

Also good job on magically losing that accent once the movies started roll in.

Jun 10, 2018
Threads like these always bring out the biggest perpetrators of anti-blackness with their shitty takes.

Probably live in neighborhoods with a plethora of "Black Lives Matter" signs up but there's nary a black person in sight. Too dense and hateful to even catch on to the irony of that.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As expected, this thread is already turning into a graveyard.

As much as Era champions itself as an A L L Y of progress, they sure do fuck up every intersectional thread that comes up.

Here's a thought: If you're not Black or Asian, maybe..... try listening for the most part? And if you are Black or Asian, come with a nuanced understanding of the other's experience in this situation? It's really not that hard.

Try more than not at all.
Agreed. It's a complicated and complex issue and I understand if I was Asian or Asian American why it could seem like it's picking on an Asian American woman who's becoming mainstream successful for doing something that non-Black people have been doing for over a century.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's been a video of her natural voice posted for contrast, so I grabbed the first interview I saw:

Oct 27, 2017
What's blaccent? I mean, I get it's in some way emulating an accent associated with black people, but what are the characteristics that define it? I listened to the video clip that was posted in the first page but I didn't recognize anything specific about the way she was singing.
I like what someone said that they prefer the term "minstrel" instead of "blaccent". It makes it less nebulous that way (at least to me).

It's an over-exaggerated caricature of stereotypical AAVE. It would be one thing if Awkwafina normally spoke like what's in the OP, but we know from tons of interviews/appearances she definitely does not.

I also think she's put herself in a really awkward (heh) position, because now if she addresses her rise to fame, it blows up. And if she continues to ignore it, it will keep following her, with every new project (like it has been already for years).

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Until she goes by her government name & acknowledges her rise to fame was riding off Black cultural appropriation I don't know what's there to "discuss".

Also good job on magically losing that accent once the movies started roll in.
Genuine question, what does her stage name have to do here? Plenty of celebrities just go by their stage name.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
It's amazing people think that someone can only focus on one issue at a time. You can be worried about, and focusing on global warming, Afghanistan, and cultural appropriation all at the same time. On top of that, issues are issues, don't dismiss ones you deem to be smaller scale by going "focus on *real* issues".

That said, a sincere apology would go a long way. She can't change what she did in the past, and very recent past at that, but she can help others understand why what she was doing was wrong because, even in this thread, too many don't see this as an issue.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017

youtu.be

The Blaccent Paradox

In this video, I try to unpack and analyze the trend of non-black actors / creators (such as Awkwafina, star of Marvel’s Shang-Chi) using a "Blaccent" and ot...

Another vid for those who don't quite understand yet. What made me realize that the Awkwafina persona is problematic is that she typically uses the accent as a punchline. Punching up a joke by capping the line with the accent. It's absolutely cringe inducing when you view it in that context.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

The problem is when everyone can profit off the trappings of black culture, except people who create it. Look at Tiktok and Fortnite. White people rolling billions off the work of black creators and not even acknowledging they exist let along that they created shit.

If people get prickly about it because comment like yours come off super defensive and mad because people made they can't enjoy something. Now imagine not only be able to enjoy something but activately penalized and held down because of it. Spoiler: Black folks ain;t doing the segregating

kendall-jenner1.png

4960933_122418-wpvi-family-responds-haircut-430pm-vid.jpg

www.cnn.com

A Black softball player says she was forced to cut off her hair beads at a game. Her family wants to change the rule they say is discriminatory | CNN

It was her last home softball game of the season, and Nicole Pyles, a sophomore at Durham Hillside High School in North Carolina, had just hit a double. Her hair, braided with beads and tied in a bun at the bottom of her neck, was the last thing on her mind.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

The fact that you could type all of this, and not once acknowledge that it's Black culture specifically that we're talking about here is kind of the issue.

There's a reason why a lot of Black people are so raw about this. It's because over the generations we've seen our culture just get taken. And taken. And taken and taken. We get none of the benefits for it, and hell, as this post unintentionally highlights, we don't even get credited for it. Black culture, and thus Black people, only exists to be commoditized, but not actually valued.

Awkwafina's just parroting some nebulous American culture that's dominant in the region of the country she grew up in. It goes down more smoothly to put it that way than to acknowledge that she's parroting Black people, historically one of the most maligned groups in this country.

Last edited:

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
A few things:

1. This website hella inequipped for this convo, Half the posters are coming in with rando takes and then trying to get educated on the subject matter after the fact.

2. This convo is old as hell, It was had on social media last week. ERA is late af. Nobody is even discussing this anymore on other platforms

3. People blatantly ignoring the hypocrisy of her not wanting to not wanting to demean her culture but has no problems doing it to ours

4. She didnt even grow up around us. She's from an affluent part of NY. She watching our culture from the outside just like yall do

5. The "blaccent she grew up with" completely disappears entirely when she has to do PR interviews. Then reappears when she gets comedy roles.

6. You all really think that goofy 90's yo yo yo act is an accurate representation of AAVE in 2021? She even add a white country drawl to her voice which makes it sound cringe af. This is the worst part about the thread. Yall niggas really clueless as hell lol

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Not American so just wondering, what are thinking of as an authentic Asian American accent then? I can get why the cultural appropriation occurs, black culture still feels like the only American minority culture that isn't seen as foreign. Are Asian Americans expected to assimilate to white culture?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. It's a complicated and complex issue and I understand if I was Asian or Asian American why it could seem like it's picking on an Asian American woman who's becoming mainstream successful for doing something that non-Black people have been doing for over a century.
The problem with Awkwafina isn't necessarily that she's riding off of Black culture.

It's two-fold: 1) She isn't okay with Asian stereotyping but she'll happily stereotype Black culture when it suits her. Like, y'all realize even the name "Awkwafina" is deriding so-called "ghetto" Black names, right?.... Right????

2) Following from that, her use of Blackness is demeaning. Nothing about this woman makes me think she gives an iota of a fuck about Black people. Nothing she's done in that regard has been endearing. The fact that she never apologized speaks volumes.

Like, at what point does the anti-Blackness become too much before people stop defending her? She gotta paint her skin?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
All she had to do was make a simple and sincere apology.

Also a lot of these two weeks should be much longer. A bunch of bozos in this thread downplaying black folks criticism and pain from hearing their way of speech mocked for decades only to be used by non-black folks profit.

You are emotionally stunted to fix your fingers to type what is essentially, "I do not care to understand the significance of this criticism, but I don't think it is a big deal."

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
This has been a thing since she first came in the scene. Can't stand her 🤷🏾‍♂️. I remember saying wtf out loud when I learned her "name". Just garbage. Fuck anyone who defends her bullshit. Do better.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with Awkwafina isn't necessarily that she's riding off of Black culture.

It's two-fold: 1) She isn't okay with Asian stereotyping but she'll happily stereotype Black culture when it suits her. Like, y'all realize even the name "Awkwafina" is deriding so-called "ghetto" Black names, right?.... Right????

2) Following from that, her use of Blackness is demeaning. Nothing about this woman makes me think she gives an iota of a fuck about Black people. Nothing she's done in that regard has been endearing. The fact that she never apologized speaks volumes.

Like, at what point does the anti-Blackness become too much before people stop defending her? She gotta paint her skin?
I agree, but really what's the difference between her and Mark Wahlberg except for different generations and lack of social media to critique Mark Wahlberg as he became Hollywood successful and took his "costume" off. Notice that didn't happen with Will Smith, Queen Latifah, Ice Cube, Ice-T, LL Cool J as they became Hollywood successful.

May 14, 2021
All she had to do was make a simple and sincere apology.

Also a lot of these two weeks should be much longer. A bunch of bozos in this thread downplaying black folks criticism and pain from hearing their way of speech mocked for decades only to be used by non-black folks profit.
Even if she doesn't mean it, how would it hurt her career to apologize? Typically when we see this it's from white people, and they don't apologize because they simply don't give a shit about the offended. The message Nora is sending here is the same. She does not give a fuck about black people unless it involves building a career by using them as an affectation.

Oct 27, 2017
Not American so just wondering, what are thinking of as an authentic Asian American accent then? I can get why the cultural appropriation occurs, black culture still feels like the only American minority culture that isn't seen as foreign. Are Asian Americans expected to assimilate to white culture?
It's not even about her not having an "authentic As-Am accent" which i don't think is a thing, lol.

It's the difference between her performance when she's portraying a "street" character, vs every time you see her in an interview.

For comparison, comedian David So or Tim Changtarangsu speak with what people would call "Blaccents" but there's no off-switch for them. Even when they're putting on their "interview" voices, they simply sound like they're enunciating words harder, not completely up-rooting their speaking patterns:

The difference between their code switching and Awkwafina's exaggerated performance, may seem too nuanced from outside eyes, but it's honestly clear as day to people familiar with it.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I agree, but really what's the difference between her and Mark Wahlberg except for different generations and lack of social media to critique Mark Wahlberg as he became Hollywood successful and took his "costume" off. Notice that didn't happen with Will Smith, Queen Latifah, Ice Cube, Ice-T, LL Cool J as they became Hollywood successful.

...Mark Wahlberg?

NOT going back to the Marky Mark days! I'm dead! Deceased!

(To your point, yes...there were Black people criticizing even him back then.)

I don't know what to do with your "Well what about the Black people?" point though, because that is...I dunno, very obvious? It's obvious why Black people would want to mimic the dominant and accepted culture and mannerisms in order to, you know, survive and get work. It's called code switching.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that when Mark Wahlberg is in a film, he is not billed as Marky Mark. He is billed as Mark Wahlberg, because he knows he's a white man and stays in his lane.

Awkwafina still goes by Awkwafina which, again, is a name deliberately used to mock Black people.

Again, at what point do we just call her anti-Black???

And why the are you bringing up a bunch of Black artists? What do they have to do with this?