• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 13, 2017
Sometimes I think celebrities should just own up to stuff like this, apologize, and commit to doing better. Rather than avoiding it. It ends up following them forever.

See Iggy Azalea.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
LOL - the wording of this thread title is silly.

I actually like Akwafina. That said, I wasn't born yesterday; the blaccent is very obvious and very fake. And any Black person who wants to criticize her for it is well within their right, because it can be considered quiite offensive. Especially because it's very obvious when she chooses to use the blaccent, and when she "opts out." Which, must be so convenient when you're not actually Black.

I DID roll my eyes at that recent interview where she attempted to justify not using a stereotypical Asian accent under the guise of cultural care. Gurl...bye. (fake edit: apparently that interview is not recent)

Like, the wildest thing for me about her is that her natural voice is VERY distinct. IMO - even in her rap songs, she never HAD to use the weird blackish accent because she already had a sound that was VERY unique. But alas, here we are.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this isn't the first time this has been brought up. I remember hearing about this when Crazy Rich Asians came out.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
For sure. But isn't this a waste of our time when real shit is happening? Are we asking that she either give in and perform Asian accents in film and tv, or time travel back to her teenage years to prevent herself from developing a troubling accent? What is the end goal? What do you want?

I mean it's not like anyone's out here with pitchforks. You can acknowledge the wrong someone's done in their past and hope they would own it without immediately cancelling them.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
For sure. But isn't this a waste of our time when real shit is happening? Are we asking that she either give in and perform Asian accents in film and tv, or time travel back to her teenage years to prevent herself from developing a troubling accent? What is the end goal? What do you want?
From what I've gathered, people just want an apology. Or at least for her to address that she was doing a blaccent at all. AFAIK she's ignored the criticism pretty much every time it's been brought up.

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Whataboutism, dismissing concerns of racism
Yes this what we should be focusing on. Not the situation in Afghanistan, or COVID destroying parts of America… but this, which impacts so many people and is super pressing. Jesus Christ.

Mod Edit: Post Reverted

Last edited by a moderator:

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Putting aside anything else, you're going to hear people repeating themselves if the same topic comes up and nothing has changed. The conversation being the same does not indicate where the issue is.
Was more a comment of dejavu because I remember it being about the exact same interview.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yes this what we should be focusing on. Not the situation in Afghanistan, or COVID destroying parts of America… but this, which impacts so many people and is super pressing. Jesus Christ.
By the same token, why are you putting your energy into posting in this thread instead of those same topics you mentioned?

The last threads you were posting in were "Kanye West has announced a THIRD listening event for his *upcoming album Donda" and "What's your favorite nut?". Are you holding far more valuable and impactful conversations than other people?

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
...how is own up and apologize not an option here?

Jan 18, 2018
She was really great on Shang-Chi. This seems like one of the more uncontroversial controversies I've seen brought up in recent times. Then again, I'm a white man who probably doesn't get it.
Your comment shoulda been this. All the other shit you said is unnecessary.

Using a Blaccent to make shitty raps or make the joke of " hey I'm not black but I talk like this, haha funny" is the most tired shit.

I HATE having black conversations in white spaces

Let's see you post bullshit like this in random gaming topics.

Nov 17, 2017
I wonder how many of the posters in this thread being dismissive are black women or even just black at all?

Typical Era. Never the place to talk about black issues.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
You are on a message board with a dedicated sonic thread with thousands of posts. If you looking to fix the world, you made a wrong turn somewhere

May 14, 2021
She's popular enough, and talented enough, that she could apologize for it and stop doing it and move on with her career. It's the hypocrisy of being adamant about not doing Asian accents while continuing to stick to "her brand" that bothers me the most. I love watching her because she's incredibly charismatic, but it would also be nice to be able to respect her.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
People could care about more than one thing at a time. And it's not like the people tweeting about this started tweeting about COVID or Afghanistan would do anything to those problems

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

I don't understand posts like this.

At best, you're amplifying the topic while criticizing the amplification of the topic.

At worst, you're tut-tutting Black people for having the gall, the nerve, the audacity, for criticizing non-Black people mimicing our culture and dialects literally for a quick come-up. It's almost like people truly believe Black culture has no worth and exists merely to be pilfered. Hmm.

I guess we'll wait until nothing else is going on in the world.

(And again, I LIKE Awkwafina. But posts like these are silly.)

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand posts like this.

At best, you're amplifying the topic while criticizing the amplification of the topic.

At worst, you're tut-tutting Black people for having the gall, the nerve, the audacity, for criticizing non-Black people mimicing our culture and dialects literally for a quick come-up. It's almost like people truly believe Black culture has no worth and exists merely to be pilfered. Hmm.

I guess we'll wait until nothing else is going on in the world.

(And again, I LIKE Awkwafina. But posts like these are silly.)
Yeah I came around to liking her, but I still think there is a discussion she should have about. But Post Malone? He can walk barefoot on legos for the rest of his life

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
User Banned (2 weeks): dismissing concerns surrounding cultural appropriation
Black culture has and is the cool thing everyone likes. From rap, graffiti, clothes to this way of speak... It's only normal that if it finds success with other cultures these cultures will appropriate it. That's a good thing as long as it's not done in mockery or with ill intent. I haven't watched the movie of that clip so I cannot say whether the character was mocking black people or not though.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
News outlets are running this as a boycott now. I'm getting a lot of notifications about it, which is a little disappointing but not surprising.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, I wasn't that familiar with her. Crazy Rich Asians was really my first exposure. After watching that, one question I had was: first off, where she even from? Lol...

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Black culture has and is the cool thing everyone likes. From rap, graffiti, clothes to this way of speak... It's only normal that if it finds success with other cultures these cultures will appropriate it. That's a good thing as long as it's not done in mockery or with ill intent. I haven't watched the movie of that clip so I cannot say whether the character was mocking black people or not though.
It is not a good thing in a capitalist society built on anti-blackness, systemic racism, and White supremacy. It's not a coincidence that non-Black people benefit more from it than Black people.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Then why's she only talk that way in movies and while rapping? How can she say she refuses to do an accent and play off of black culture?
That's really the crux of it and why that argument doesn't hold any merit. It's one thing if it was from her upbringing. But if she's literally putting on an accent for entertainment...

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
If Awkwafina grew up in predominantly black neighborhood, I can understand using the blaccent, but she grew up in Forest Hills, which is one of the most affluent neighborhoods in NYC.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The internet hates when people change opinions. You're not a hypocrite for growing as a person lmao

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021

this is a bad take...

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
The dismissiveness in this thread is annoying. Everytime with black issues or concerns. Just waived away like it doesn't matter.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
If Awkwafina grew up in predominantly black neighborhood, I can understand using the blaccent, but she grew up in Forest Hills, which is one of the most affluent neighborhoods in NYC.

But see that's the thing, then it wouldn't really be a "blaccent" as the term is used.

Can't speak for every Black person (obviously), but I can usually tell the difference between a non-Black person who grew up around Black people and naturally absorbed the culture, versus a person that is simply mimicing Black culture (either because they like it, or because they see dollar signs). Awkwafina is very much the latter. And to me, that's what "blaccent" is. It's like, you're a fan. You're an obsessive fan of a culture. I feel like there's a word for that...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The internet hates when people change opinions. You're not a hypocrite for growing as a person lmao
Awkwafina is Asian American, not Black. If she's talking about her use of an Asian accent and not wanting to engage in minstrelsy there, she's talking about not wanting to sell out herself and her own culture. It doesn't say anything about he opinions on cultural appropriation and selling out other people's cultures.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

I want to push back on this a bit since its often brought up. Since hip-hop is such a huge part of youth culture, particularly in NY, you're going to hear some hip-hop slang among the youth across socioeconomic lines unless you're in a really sheltered rich part like the Hamptons.

That said, she's talking like a 14 year old in 1993 listening to Biggie on a walkman as opposed to what like a 30 year old black woman speaking AAVE would sound like in 2020. Its hyper-exaggerated.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I want to push back on this a bit since its often brought up. Since hip-hop is such a huge part of youth culture, particularly in NY, you're going to hear some hip-hop slang among the youth across socioeconomic lines unless you're in a really sheltered rich part like the Hamptons.

That said, she's talking like a 14 year old in 1993 listening to Biggie on a walkman as opposed to what like a 30 year old black woman speaking AAVE would sound like in 2020. Its hyper-exaggerated.
"yo Yo YO!"

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
I randomly found it on twitter while scrolling, I didnt save it, but let's see if i can find it again.

EDIT:

I grew up in the same area as her, even though I'm much older. She said nothing that would have seemed offensive to me and I'm Filipino as well, but I more so associate myself as a "southern Californian" (silly I know)

These are just mannerisms that you pick up and in turn replicate when you live in a certain area

Everyone here says "my bad" but should that been seen as cultural appropriation?

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Her quote is specifically about using Asian accents to portray Asian characters. Whether or not her use of a blaccent is appropriate of unrelated to this quote in my opinion and people are intentionally reading her as just saying "I don't do accents" in order to dunk on her for it.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Her quote is specifically about using Asian accents to portray Asian characters. Whether or not her use of a blaccent is appropriate of unrelated to this quote in my opinion and people are intentionally reading her as just saying "I don't do accents" in order to dunk on her for it.
Which shows she is hypocritical because she is fine putting on another culture's accent, which is what the controversy is.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing you can't see how very related they actually are.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
She's been rubbing me the wrong way because of this for a while. Feels like a caricature.

And this is coming from a Black American raised in Europe who doesn't really have an "accent". It's really easy to tell when someone is putting it on.

But she's not the first or the last, unfortunately. And people will continue to cock their heads and say they don't get it. Smh

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021

so you're purposely ignoring her hypocrisy...

amazing