• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
when non Black people speak in a way they imagine that Black people speak. it's cringe at the very least.
Are there videos of her doing it? I just watched Nora from Queens and I enjoyed it but I'm not sure if she was doing it in the show. I don't think I know enough about this.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Are there videos of her doing it? I just watched Nora from Queens and I enjoyed it but I'm not sure if she was doing it in the show. I don't think I know enough about this.
her reason for gaining fame in the first place was as a rapper. at that first stage of her career she used a blaccent.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Yeah. Eilish was another disappointment because while she was quick to throw hip-hop under the bus when she had a chance after her first album glow-up while riding her wave up on a shitload of trap influenced pop beats.

"Just because the story isn't real doesn't mean it can't be important," she said. "There's a difference between lying in a song and writing a story. There are tons of songs where people are just lying. There's a lot of that in rap right now, from people that I know who rap. It's like, 'I got my AK-47, and I'm fuckin',' and I'm like, what? You don't have a gun. 'And all my bitches…' I'm like, which bitches? That's posturing, and that's not what I'm doing."

I mean, its like, talk about stereotypes (and the fact that while yeah lots of artists...across the board...lie in their songs (really poetic license TBH) looking at hip-hop's unfortunately long list of deaths kind of hard to say it's posturing. But yes, as a white woman from upper class parents we needed her take on realness and how some rappers are just throwing out cliche's

Last edited:

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
It is one of the most affluent neighborhoods in NYC true.

Outside of Twitter, I haven't seen any of this being reported on the news (regarding Awkwafina's "explanation")

Calling Forest Hills a super white or affluent is horseshit. The neighborhood is segregated and only if you carve out the white ass area does it become an affluent neighborhood in Queens, and even then it's barely a blip on the radar for the whole city. Is it possible she came from the rich part? Absolutely. But let's not pretend people here on the internet have a fucking clue. You can rightfully call her out for all the wrong she's done without making up BS.

That having been said she needs to apologize and kill this whole "I'm listening" bullshit. If she's going to be a public figure, she needs to address her mistakes and just come clean with the culture pirating she's done in the past.

The talk about other kids doing this shit is all of the following: true, not a good enough reason/excuse, and a double edged sword. That last parts refers to bigger picture of how acceptable it is to trying to adopt Black culture, and at what point does it become appropriation. A lot of which has already been addressed and she's absolutely crossed it at this point.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
lol this is funny, when did she start claiming that's what it stood for?
Oldest excerpt I can find was before Oceans 8/Crazy Rich Asians, so right before she blew up. She claimed that she used Aquafina at first around 15 and then got told by some producer that she can't use it due to Pepsi, and then at 16 changed it to what it is right now, citing the above reason for what it stood for.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely multifaceted, she has her normal facet and her blackfacet she uses to shuck and jive.

May 14, 2021
I never watched Crazy Rich Asians but that clip of her in the Blaccent Parody video is wow.
Unless she ad libbed all her lines, I'm going to blame the writers for that shit. Her issue is she does it on her own outside of movies and did it to get famous enough that those writers thought she was perfect for that questionable role.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
My wife is an adjunct professor at Stony Brook University, can tell you many of those white kids over there do this shit. Granted that not a defense of them or of Awkwafina. They all trade in this shit amongst each other. That said, she didn't grow up over there to my knowledge. At least not for that long. I guess my post is more wanting to just highlight how much Long Island white kids I've met love to do this shit amongst each other.
So they all act like Ali G?

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Seems like both Shang Chi actors aren't that great of people or have old skeletons in their closet. It's a shame.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It really is the worst possible answer, more I think about it. It's not even an answer, good or bad. It's not even a non-answer. It's nothing. Her reaction betrays that not only did she not anticipate the question but the question was nowhere in her perceivable universe.

And that really says it all, doesn't it. Actions speak louder than words, as they say, and 10 seconds of her staring completely lost to a question that has been continuously raised throughout her career speaks volumes.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Unless she ad libbed all her lines, I'm going to blame the writers for that shit. Her issue is she does it on her own outside of movies and did it to get famous enough that those writers thought she was perfect for that questionable role.

I might have remembered wrongly but I don't remember her character talking like this in the books. I'll have to check on this. I suspect they let her speak the way she wanted, or got her to tap on her persona for the role.

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is she using her typical blaccent on Shang Chi or is this something that just resurfaced due to her reappearance? Haven't watched the movie yet.

Three 6 Mafia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah where's the pleas being copped? A lot of y'all were acting very UNUSUAL when niggas first brought this up. I'll never forget what clowns thought this shit was ok and people "shouldn't boycott"

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised the mouse hasn't stepped in got her putting something out.
It seems they don't really care or don't react for the most part. Gina Carano had to go full stupid on multiple occasions before getting fired and Letishia wright might be the new BP (at the very least she's still in the movie). TI stayed in the spotlight as well for things he was doing, but maybe in his case his Ant-Man involvement was at its natural end anyway. James Gunn is probably the most high profile case of them firing someone, but he was brought back.

I don't like mentioning his case in the same breath because of the circumstances behind his firing are not the same but just to as all inclusive as possible, why not?

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020

This is a really good video, thanks for posting it.

Why is it so difficult for people like this to just admit fault? "Yes, I messed up. It was wrong and I am going to make amends." It's really not that hard. But I suppose even that minimal level of self-awareness is too much to ask.

The name "Awkwafina" always bothered me, but I wasn't able to really put my finger on why (probably because I'm not black.) I'd say dropping that name would be a first step toward making amends.

Oct 27, 2017
Until this thread, I assumed that was the only way she speaks. This is like somebody putting on a fake foreign accent, but worse.