• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Jesus Christ just say yeah I thought about it and it's problematic and I'm going to go forward without it. God damn this isn't complicated.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
We kind of need the full video because we don't have the question she was asked, nor if this was her entire response and instead we just get this non-response as seeming the only thing she has said on it.

If she doesn't address it fully, she needs to.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when one poster said we shouldn't bring this up, because Shang Chi's box office numbers were more important and if it bombed we'd get no more films with PoC leads.

Fucking clown shoes in that entire thread.
The best part is that some of that ire in the thread was delivered at the Twitter user @IWriteAllDay_. I've followed that lady for a long time and the suggestion of her having a bigoted agenda for being amongst the many black women pointing out Awkafinas problems was telling.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
One thing to keep in mind the way Hollywood works, she cultivated an audience and she's hired to bring that audience (as well as her talent.) early on her film career she was likely hired to "perform" her persona. And she probably still relies on it to get work - for better or worse, she probably is weighing some part of her career here and simply doesn't know how damaging her words can be for herself (and likely getting bad advice from her agents regarding her "brand")

"no, we want the voice - do the voice"

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Is it really that "multi faceted and layered"?

I mean, if this was the direction she wanted to take her response, there's a lot that could have been said to make it seem that way. But she wasn't prepared to even do that. It's like she didn't consider she'd be asked about this at all.

Look, being real, I'm not going to sit here and act like I'm losing sleep over fucking Awkwafina. She ain't the first to do a blaccent, she ain't gonna be the last to do one, and hhhWhite people will continue to reward this (because that's who it's for).

But this is such an avoidable PR blunder. Like, sis, you couldn't even BS your way through this? I thought the blaccent would have at least lent her some improv skills.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Multi-faceted and layered is one way to say it..... I'm a bad person to comment on the dynamics involved. But like, she needs to think a little bit more.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
One thing to keep in mind the way Hollywood works, she cultivated an audience and she's hired to bring that audience (as well as her talent.) early on her film career she was likely hired to "perform" her persona. And she probably still relies on it to get work - for better or worse, she probably is weighing some part of her career here and simply doesn't know how damaging her words can be for herself (and likely getting bad advice from her agents regarding her "brand")

This explanation makes sense to me, not wanting to alienate her core audience who she and those who hire her count on to buy a ticket to everything she does.

But she had such an unusual amount of lead time to get out ahead of this before she was directly questioned about it. Not only that, she had just as much time to make a statement before this clip went as viral as the last one did, to have "the conversation" she refers to and...zilch. At this point I have a hard time accepting that it's just about the calculus with regards to threading the needle between taking responsibility and avoiding alienating her fan base. She is probably paying some people a lot of money because they're supposed to be good at figuring out how to do that!

But what's worse, it implies total apathy towards having the conversation, not with the media or the general audience but with herself and her fans, about how wrong this behavior was, why it's wrong, why she can't "do the voice" anymore. It's not just carelessness, or hubris, though it is in part both of those things. It's her (apparent) complete lack of concern for the problem, and for the communities affected by this. This clip suggests her disinterest in the topic has almost become a bigger issue than what she did, it's an unforced error that doesn't seem to have a good explanation, certainly not consideration for her fans.

But I could be misinterpreting what you're implying, in which case I apologize.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
Oh noooo she really is that dumb.

AND Simu outted as being a Reddit incel!? Asians we gotta do better yeesh

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021
I don't think ive ever watched her stuff. Are there some examples of what people are saying is so offensive.

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
Clearly Disney does not want the conversation about this multifaceted issue to be had until Shang Chi stops making money.

You might want to make a thread on the Simu stuff. I saw something on it yesterday and it seemed a lot different than just being an incel

If you've ever posted anything problematic on the internet you are an incel. Remember that.

Edit: Didn't just wanna make jokes and dip. I think people insulting Awkwafina about this response needs to put equal blame on PR cycles for big films like this. These people are heavily trained on what they're allowed to talk about, so it's not just as easy as saying "lol sorry my b" and moving on. Disney probably hasn't prepped her for this because they don't even want her talking about it.

Shouldn't have done the shit to begin with, but yeah.

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
How are you still not prepared to answer that? That's fucked up.

Not hard to apologise, acknowledge how you fucked up and pledge to learn/do better going forward.

Disappointing.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

This seems on point.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all collectively owe Black Era an apology.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
"Addresses" meaning she just now realized it's a problem and was completely blindsided by the question and didn't actually address it?

Last edited:

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
I want to see the full video. If this was really her answer, then yikes…
So is anyone going to explain the Simu Reddit thing?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just googled Simu Liu and reddit but most of the sites seem like a lot of your trash tier troll stuff so its hard to get a handle on what happened but seems like someone may have found an old reddit account of Simu's that went to some racist sub reddits and said some stuff about pedophilia. Its hard to tell what or even how accurate or truthful it all is.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017

She could have said that in response to the question.

The gag is that she just didn't have anything prepared. This controversy has been brewing since CRA and in all these years she never once thought to prepare a statement in the event this question came up in an interview.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, her Deer-in-the-Headlights look the entire time made me chuckle.

She's probably gonna fire her agent.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
This seems like a summary of the Simu Liu stuff:

Seems like one bad post, and a lot of stuff taken way out of context/made up?

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping her response would be longer. She really needs to own her past. That's the only decent thing to do.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Her response is absolutely what my response would be to a question I have no answer to but don't want to come off as ignorant.

it's timely, I listened to an NPR segment about how people struggle to say 'sorry' in general and it's literally playing out before our eyes. The moment she apologizes for it she owns the entirety of the problematic nature of that character and it probably scares the shit out of her.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
Ohhhh my GODDD I went to eat dinner and KABOOM. the simu was the top trending stuff on Twitter yesterday so In my head I thought it was common knowledge leave me alone!!

Someone looked through his Reddit account and found he was a mod for a misogynistic community for Asian American men, said all girls suck at sports, defended pedophilia and compared it to homosexuality, and then some industry peeps tagged on to the threads and said he throws fellow Asian Americans under the bus for his own gain and apparently has weird dating habits.

SORRY YALL DIDNT MEAN TO CANCEL SIMU IN AN UNRELATED THREAD. A lot of it is unsubstantiated and lacks context someone can make a thread if u want I don't have time

Oct 26, 2017
How to Try and Fail To Give A Non-Answer.

Not even an ounce of feeling sorry about it in her tone and body language.

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Oh noooo she really is that dumb.

AND Simu outted as being a Reddit incel!? Asians we gotta do better yeesh
Ohhhh my GODDD I went to eat dinner and KABOOM. the simu was the top trending stuff on Twitter yesterday so In my head I thought it was common knowledge leave me alone!!

Someone looked through his Reddit account and found he was a mod for a misogynistic community for Asian American men, said all girls suck at sports, defended pedophilia and compared it to homosexuality, and then some industry peeps tagged on to the threads and said he throws fellow Asian Americans under the bus for his own gain and apparently has weird dating habits.

SORRY YALL DIDNT MEAN TO CANCEL SIMU IN AN UNRELATED THREAD. A lot of it is unsubstantiated and lacks context someone can make a thread if u want I don't have time

This is why I despise twitter cancel/callout culture. Zero context, all hot takes.
More context:

barley

Banned
Aug 16, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Drive-By Posting on a Sensitive Topic
My friend who teaches in a very diverse area of Queens says all kids spoke like this. So really, what is the issue?