• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
while not universally bad games 2 games I hate that I love the soundtrack to are ff8 and chrono cross. not trying to do a hot take, as I know we have huge fans of these games here and thats fine. there was a mediocre game called onslaught for genesis that had pretty killer music.

found it

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I don't know if it reaches the level of ''Awful'', but it is a totally disappointing game with potential thrown directly in the trash, so I think it counts.
Jesus Christ the OST of this game is beautiful.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it reaches the level of ''Awful'', but it is a totally disappointing game with potential thrown directly in the trash, so I think it counts.
Jesus Christ the OST of this game is beautiful.

Yeah, going through XV was a chore and disappointing in tons of ways, but the OST was fantastic.

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
Deep Fear, a very mediocre Resident Evil clone for the Saturn.

It was composed by anime and film composer Kenji Kawai, who also done the animated Ghost in the Shell movies, Gundam 00, and Mob Psycho 100, among others.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Easily Nier Automata.

My main issues:
  • Boring and empty open world
  • Hacking minigame
  • Bland characters
  • Bad sidequests
  • Repetition (Ending B has zero reason to be what it was).
Soundtrack is godly though.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Ff8. Soundtrack is good but gameplay is not especially without god mode. It doesnt make sense that you get stronger by junctioning as much magic as possible which you have to draw from enemies. This means you will spend 3/4 of the game battling enemies

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017

Silver Surfer on NES

Damn, I clicked to post this.

Easily Nier Automata.

My main issues:
  • Hacking minigame
  • Bland characters
  • Bad sidequests
Might make for a more productive thread to focus more on overlooked soundtracks rather than making this the 80th "overrated games" thread this week.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I'm not sure there's ever been a bigger gulf between game quality and OST quality than Sonic 2006. The game had like five composers (including one of the composers for Panzer Dragoon Saga!) and they all turned in great work. What a game this could've been if only Sega didn't kick it out the door in time for the series' 15th anniversary.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Soundtrack is so much better than that game deserves.
I wouldn't say it's a terrible game, but I do agree with your second point
Any God of War game. The games are horrible but the soundtracks are great.
See I disagree. The games are horrible and the soundtracks are bad too.
remember kids, not all hot takes are good takes.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Came in to vote for Sonic '06. No game has a greater distance in quality with its soundtrack. It's not even close.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Easily Nier Automata.

My main issues:
  • Hacking minigame
  • Bland characters
  • Bad sidequests
ignoring that you called Nier Automata a terrible game, which even if you disliked it, I don't think it's terrible by any means, I still can't believe how good that soundtrack is. I can't remember a soundtrack that was simply the best of a generation so cut and dry. There is usually a top 3 that give each other a run for its money, but nothing this generation came even close to Nier Automata. Persona 5 Royal, FF VII Remake and Octopath all had great soundtracks, but NieR's was on a completely different level, every time I listen to it I like it more than the last time

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Hi

220px-Ar_tonelico.jpg
220px-Ar_tonelico_Qoga.jpg

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
The canceled Bionicle video game that was unearthed a couple years ago definitely fits the bill. Cause it was a technical disaster up until the moment Lego pulled the plug. The soundtrack however? It's absolutely ace.

(The rest of the soundtrack is just as good, BTW.)

Oct 25, 2017
I see Unlimited Saga was already mentioned. Beautiful soundtrack. Utterly awful game.

Granado Espada/Sword of the New World is another one.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeesh. This thread is gonna turn into cheap shots against games people don't like. That being said, I don't like sports games too much, but some of them have incredible OSTs. Also, the last-gen SSX reboot had a killer tracklist, and the Tricky remix was stylish as hell.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I thought Chrono cross had clumsy pacing and a kudzu plot that had at least half of it be summarized by three ghosts on a beach but I can't deny that that soundtrack is manna from heaven.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I wouldn't say it was "awful" per se, but Paper Mario: Color Splash still fell incredibly short compared to the original game and The Thousand-Year Door (at least it was better than Sticker Star!) and had a way better soundtrack than it probably deserved:

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Any God of War game. The games are horrible but the soundtracks are great.
Easily Nier Automata.

My main issues:
  • Hacking minigame
  • Bland characters
  • Bad sidequests
Shadow of the Colossus.
Ah, here are the shit takes I was looking for.

Persona 5

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Definitely FF XV... trainwreck of a video game, but masterful music. From the multiple battle themes to boss music, and overworld music....heck even the menu music is just fantastic overall

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Wait.... God of War series, Nier, and Sotc seriously being mentioned lol? The games are great to play... the amazing music in them are an added bonus!!!

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, Sonic R is simply just a bonus attachment to some great pop group's unreleased album. Terrible game, amazing music.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fire Emblem Fates. Gameplay was good as always but story was straight trash. Luckily the soundtrack was amazing.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Opoona's ost is fire

EDIT: Keeping in theme with the flaming hot takes in this thread I would like to also nominate Persona 3-5.

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I can't stand the battle system
Gacha mechanics in a single player game
Field skills
And, like you said, the designs

Pretty much the only thing I like about the game is the music
As much as I did like Xenoblade 2 quite a bit, the field skills and gacha core crystem system sucked and halted progress quite a lot. Everything else I liked, but quite a lot of the designs were questionable too (also wanna throw in the game has a really awful hud/UI/menu that's too overstylized). Other than that, I liked the game and enjoyed my time with it, but can totally understand all those points leading someone to dislike the game.

I am excited for XenoblaDE considering there's no field skills, blades/core crystal system.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
FF13 the thread.

Everything about that game is fucking terrible, save for it's OST, which is one of Square's finest.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Lots of hot takes here.

I loved FFXV and FFXIII (but I can agree they had faults that many can't get past), but their soundtracks are incredible.