• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes you hear a song in a game that is so incredibly awesome you're anticipating hearing it again, but it turns out it only plays in a very specific circumstance, whether it be a town you visit briefly, a combat encounter that's rare, or anything in between.

As an example, Yakuza 0 has Trouble Shooting Star, which became one of my favorite songs in the entire soundtrack after first hearing it during one of the initial English trailers. In-game it plays during business-related fights that are almost always over before the song gets hype.

Any similar examples of great songs barely getting any time in the spotlight?

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Plays only once (not even looped during the battle) throughout the entire game. Hopefully XCDE can find ways to put this song into more scenes.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017

If I recall correctly, this song plays in an optional area of Gran Pulse that is really out of the way and only ever plays there.

EDIT: Turns out I'm wrong on that lol.

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Another example I just remembered, the Animal Crossing GameCube island theme probably wasn't heard by the majority of players considering you needed a GBA link cable to even head there

On the same note there's the 1 a.m. thru 5 a.m. tracks I imagine weren't heard by many kids back in the day.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Many of Yoko Shimomura big, epic tracks for FFXV. What you hear 90% of the time in the game is car music of older FFs, boring town and gas station music and occasionally the one or other track while exploring the field, it gets quickly cut off when you engage in a battle though.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV has a ton of songs like that. The game has a massive soundtrack and gives pretty much every dungeon and boss fight its own theme. Which is mostly awesome since those themes all tend to be great and make the dungeons/bosses much more memorable, but it also means there's a lot of great music you rarely get to hear in-game.

Apart from that, there's also several songs that only play during very specific moments and nowhere else. I love this combat theme, for example:

but as far as I can tell, it only plays during two short, optional fights.

There's also this combat music from Uematsu that only plays in a challenge arena thing locked to a single class that most people completely ignore:

And worst of all, there's stuff that's technically in the game but never plays at all, like this string-quartet version of a very memorable boss fight track:

The only way to hear this in-game is to buy it of the cash shop and play it in a player-owned house/apartment.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017

One of my favorite tracks of Cold Steel III, and it plays exactly 3 times in the entire game. Much like the theme "Sword of the Biting Gale", it's used when allies come to the rescue of our heroes, but that theme is also a combat theme and gets much more use throught the game. I'm not complaining, it's a great theme, but it's a shame this theme gets so little usage.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

Not only does it play only once under a very certain circumstance, it only plays once IN THE ENTIRE SERIES. A series that tunes are reused and remade constantly, this is the only one that isn't.

I thought that SFV would've offered it as a stage tune to buy, but of course they didn't. SMH. Literally one of the best songs in SF history.

ubercheez

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best songs in Okami only gets played briefly, and only in the final act of the game.

Many of Yoko Shimomura big, epic tracks for FFXV. What you hear 90% of the time in the game is car music of older FFs, boring town and gas station music and occasionally the one or other track while exploring the field, it gets quickly cut off when you engage in a battle though.

Agreed. Terrible misuse of a great soundtrack.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The Staff Roll of Metal Force for the PC-9801

Sure it doesn't played enough because it's the credits but this song is still damn good.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I think you can probably argue for the vocal version of Lament of the Highborne from WoW

There is a non-vocal version which crops up in a variety of places, and the core theme is reused a few times, but the vocal version isn't used often; once in a diegetic form as a quest reward on the Horde side, and in a music box toy that is non-trivial to get hold of. And it's beautiful.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

most people didnt get the game or get to the point where this happens.

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
Before the Re Mind DLC I don't think this song even gets to go a full loop before a different song starts playing

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Deltarune's not a finished game, so maybe this will get more play in the final version:

For now, it only plays in one scene - the scene where Susie is beating seven shades of shit out of Lancer - and you can basically skip right over it without hearing it through. It's one of my favorites from the soundtrack, though.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
The Vision Fades in MGSV. It's optional and only composed for one scene.

The First Person by Akihisa Yamaguchi in Gran Turismo 5 & 6. It occurs very rarely in the menus somewhere.

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Probably my least favorite thing about FFXV is the way the "tension" and battle themes overwrite whatever music was playing, even if you're going up against enemies that are extremely weak compared to you. You can't even play the old FF battle music on your MP3 player during actual battles!

This song plays for about 15 seconds and it's so epic.

I've always wondered if they scrapped a Super Sonic stage of the final boss, because this song is in-line with the His World and Endless Possibilities orchestral covers from the two previous games

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pokémon Sword & Shield has 19 different battle tracks across the entirety of the game. More than half of those play for one, maybe two, during the span from when you reach the final city, Wyndon, and beat the champion, which is like 3-5 hours max.

Now, you can play the themes during online battles/in the battle tower. Its just really funny how much effort they disproportionately put into the final part of the game, music-wise.