• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes I understand.

06a.png

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Love the hacks to add "DONATE" rofl

EDIT: and "AGDQ2021" on loading screens haha

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So glad WayForward changed the ending to this game. The original really felt like a pretty tone deaf attempt at a meta joke.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the context here? Would you mind telling the story?
So the Kunio-Kun/River City Ransom canon is kind of weird, and fans regularly like to point out and joke about that fact - specifically pertaining to Kunio and Riki's love interests. I'm no expert on the exact details myself (though the exact details aren't really too important re: RCG's depiction of things), but basically Misako and Kyoko are only ever really depicted as Kunio and Riki's love interests in the SNES game. It's usually Hasebe and Mami who are more traditionally considered their love interests in canon. The reason River City Girls ultimately went with Misako and Kyoko as protagonists was because the developers mainly played and took inspiration from the SNES game. Because the devs then found out about the other pair, Hasebe and Mami were essentially downgraded to side characters in River City Girls, who make condescending jabs at Misako and Kyoko, sort of as a meta joke that they're supposed to be the real OG love interests.

It's all fairly innocuous but because of that mixup, the writers basically tried to compensate this canonicity confusion by making the ending this weird twist where it turns out that Kyoko and Misako were never actually in a relationship with Kunio and Riki, that they deluded themselves into thinking they were their girlfriends, and that they were never actually kidnapped. The ending is very much played for laughs but it not only made the girls look as crazed stalkers, it also painted the franchise protagonists as shallow skirt chasers, all in service of a meta joke about the series' canon which very few people would be guaranteed to catch onto. Quite a few people criticized the game's ending back when the game came out for being unsatisfying. Despite Hasebe & Mami actually being included as the secret ending bonus boss (which more explicitly riffs on acknowledging the series' canon), the ending still remains the same.

Of note is that supposedly (as in I can't verify this right now) the dialogue in the Japanese version was already different and doesn't do the whole "you were never their girlfriends" twist, or at least it rewrites it to some degree. Either way a lot of people felt the original ending was in pretty bad taste considering people felt the "boy saves girl" role reversal was a big draw for the game that's also a rarity at least for this genre, and that the end result was done in service of a joke that few would appreciate or even necessarily be happy about. In response to the criticism, WayForward released an update that adds a new ending after the bonus boss, which plays out a bit more straight.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Might have been a one sided race there but both players ended up dying.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So the Kunio-Kun/River City Ransom canon is kind of weird, and fans regularly like to point out and joke about that fact - specifically pertaining to Kunio and Riki's love interests. I'm no expert on the exact details myself (though the exact details aren't really too important re: RCG's depiction of things), but basically Misako and Kyoko are only ever really depicted as Kunio and Riki's love interests in the SNES game. It's usually Hasebe and Mami who are more traditionally considered their love interests in canon. The reason River City Girls ultimately went with Misako and Kyoko as protagonists was because the developers mainly played and took inspiration from the SNES game. Because the devs then found out about the other pair, Hasebe and Mami were essentially downgraded to side characters in River City Girls, who make condescending jabs at Misako and Kyoko, sort of as a meta joke that they're supposed to be the real OG love interests.

It's all fairly innocuous but because of that mixup, the writers basically tried to compensate this canonicity confusion by making the ending this weird twist where it turns out that Kyoko and Misako were never actually in a relationship with Kunio and Riki, that they deluded themselves into thinking they were their girlfriends, and that they were never actually kidnapped. The ending is very much played for laughs but it not only made the girls look as crazed stalkers, it also painted the franchise protagonists as shallow skirt chasers, all in service of a meta joke about the series' canon which very few people would be guaranteed to catch onto. Quite a few people criticized the game's ending back when the game came out for being unsatisfying. Despite Hasebe & Mami actually being included as the secret ending bonus boss (which more explicitly riffs on acknowledging the series' canon), the ending still remains the same.

Of note is that supposedly (as in I can't verify this right now) the dialogue in the Japanese version was already different and doesn't do the whole "you were never their girlfriends" twist, or at least it rewrites it to some degree. Either way a lot of people felt the original ending was in pretty bad taste considering people felt the "boy saves girl" role reversal was a big draw for the game that's also a rarity at least for this genre, and that the end result was done in service of a joke that few would appreciate or even necessarily be happy about. In response to the criticism, WayForward released an update that adds a new ending after the bonus boss, which plays out a bit more straight.
Thanks very much, this is very interesting and I hadn't heard about it before.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I always though MM1 was impossible on a no hit run (specially a buster only run), super interesting to be proven wrong

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I'm usually not able to watch this live and just catch up with some runs on YouTube later. Any notable runs so far this year?
Two back-to-back world records during the Sonic block (Sonic 1(2013) as Tails and then Sonic 3:AIR Any%) and then followed up by an uber caffeinated run of Sonic Mania by Argick.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
That MM1 buster only no hit run was seriously amazing, never thought it was even possible. And I still think is not possible for MM2 at least (Wood Man, Airman and Flash Man would be hell to beat without taking damage with just the buster)

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Don't sleep on that MM11 run too! Some insane fast change of equips and rush and everything changing every second and some super fast boss kills

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Just turned back in for the last part of the MM11 run and I should really get round to playing it.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
another excellent run, MM11 was wild at times with the fast switchup of weapons. The Robot Masters didn't stand a chance.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot how bonkers THUG 2 was. Being able to beat the whole thing in less than 8 minutes is wild.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
so they kept talking about a game that guy was making but i never heard the name of the game, any idea what that was? I just want to check how it looks

Status
Not open for further replies.