• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
So I looked at the donation tracker and it says the max amount for a single donation was $356,000?

Who donated that much?

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
true.
I missed it because I fall asleep during Link's Awekening.
was asking myself, why they didn't end Sunday afternoon.
Extending into the afternoon would have caused an extra day of room rentals for the event itself and staff/runners/guests to have to potentially pay an extra day to stay that they wouldn't use.

btw.: were drops in Super Metroid Impossible randomized?
Nah, they were only joking about it being a randomizer.

So I looked at the donation tracker and it says the max amount for a single donation was $356,000?

Who donated that much?
That was a bulk submission compiling all the Twitch subs, bits, and registration fees up to that point. I suspect the final total will actually be a little higher because they got a bunch of twitch subs during Metroid.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017

Who donated that much?

That was the amount they added in that included money from Twitch subs, bits, sponsors, etc. It was added to the total right before the last run, Super Metroid Impossible. It didn't come from a single donor.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
That was the amount they added in that included money from Twitch subs, bits, sponsors, etc. It was added to the total right before the last run, Super Metroid Impossible. It didn't come from a single donor.
Ah that makes sense, I was shocked for a moment. Good for them for hitting 3 million again.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Very fun gdq with some great speedruns.

I don't think any run is going to ever top the '17 SGDQ super metroid run though

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Watching the Super Metroid Impossible run right now.

first of all: that run is insane.

but how did they beat 3 million at the start of the game but then "only" end up 3.1 million at the end of the Marathon over 2 hours later?
The abrupt jump that let them sail through the 2 million range was from incorporating Twitch bucks from subs and bits. Probably made the subsequent fundraising seem slow by comparison.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Idk what to do with my time now...feels empty with this being over AND was great to have running in the backround while working out

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Man, the post-GDQ blues are so real for me this time around. I'm glad I have so many VODs to catch up on, but no longer being able to just tune-in when I have a free moment is a huge bummer. I already can't wait for June.

What're some games y'all are hoping to see at SGDQ?

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Would be cool to see runs of all four of the Shovel Knight campaigns, now that the game is finally complete! Shovel of Hope, Plague of Shadows, Specter of Torment and King of Cards all back to back could make a really cool block of four runs.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I've been catching up yesterday. I really enjoyed the Control run and GTA 4. Watching links awakenings next.

gaiadyne

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the post-GDQ blues are so real for me this time around. I'm glad I have so many VODs to catch up on, but no longer being able to just tune-in when I have a free moment is a huge bummer. I already can't wait for June.

ESA Winter 2020 is right around the corner in February is you still want to scratch that speed running itch. Although it doesn't have as much pomp as GDQs, it is still a decent speed running event.

Oct 26, 2017
The AlttP crowd torture was my absolute highlight this year. I was torn between sadistically hoping for cruel combos and pitty for the Runner.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I know some wish it to, but I hope that GDQ stays on the East Coast. As it is a lot of great are really late at night and would be even later on the East Coast. Not to mention places like the EU it would be worse too.

But man yeah... Only been 1 day and the blues are already settling in. I did watch some of the Awful Block that I missed and that was fantastic.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a section or a comment that have all the good runs?

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I miss the days where runners actively attempted PB and WR paced runs. Even if they failed it was still exciting to see the attempt. That would be a neat prime time block where they have a set of games that still have active leaderboards and get those runners to race each other for a new WR or something.

Though maybe that'd be too competitive and ruin the spirit of a unified community that help each other master a game.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the days where runners actively attempted PB and WR paced runs. Even if they failed it was still exciting to see the attempt. That would be a neat prime time block where they have a set of games that still have active leaderboards and get those runners to race each other for a new WR or something.

Though maybe that'd be too competitive and ruin the spirit of a unified community that help each other master a game.

That's what races are meant to emulate but even then it can turn into huge blowouts or straight up run ending with how punishing some of the tech can be if they make a mistake.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

The guy running Eagle Island got the WR for that game.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what races are meant to emulate but even then it can turn into huge blowouts or straight up run ending with how punishing some of the tech can be if they make a mistake.

I will say when they save Super Metroid races for the finale and 3/4 runners get a game over 20 minutes into the run it's a waste of my time and it's bad entertainment. I know there's a tradeoff between actually speed running and being marathon safe. I can't say what to do. Maybe mandate a couple of save points for all runners.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota

True, there aren't many races that are actually close. Sometimes the event gets lucky and you have 3-4 participants with 10 seconds of each other.

The guy running Eagle Island got the WR for that game.

I'll have to go back and watch that. I'm more thinking about like a block of games where the runners are announced as attempting a WR run.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Just a few off the top of my head:

-Luigi's Mansion 3 (All Gems, preferably)
-Ring Fit Adventure (not the whole game, of course)
-Super Smash Bros. Ultimate ~ World of Light (Any%)
-Dragon Quest XI (this could easily be a finale game; current Any% WR is faster than games like FFVII-FFIX, which have all been shown off before)

It's way more important to actually get runs completed and on time when it comes to marathons. It'd be really bad if, for example, a run died like 70% into it because the runner got a game over and they hadn't saved since it costs time. Remember, the entire point of these GDQ events is to raise money for charity; if they can't keep people consistently entertained, then they risk losing out on potential donations.

And even still, it is possible for world records or PB to occur, like it did with Eagle Island here.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
It's way more important to actually get runs completed and on time when it comes to marathons. It'd be really bad if, for example, a run died like 70% into it because the runner got a game over and they hadn't saved since it costs time. Remember, the entire point of these GDQ events is to raise money for charity; if they can't keep people consistently entertained, then they risk losing out on potential donations.

And even still, it is possible for world records or PB to occur, like it did with Eagle Island here.

True, though that Terraria run had the runner sit there for like 15+ minutes looking up server commands because he boofed the run real hard and made tons of money to production's surprise.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
They are doing a bonus stream right now tonight for those looking for more. They're running Crash Twinsanity right now. It's your pretty standard showcase they have been doing for months. But like I said in a previous post, GDQ has been putting on multiple shows a week for several months and they're a good way to get your speedrunning fix between events.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

I really want to see DUSK end up at gdq, also crash team racing nitro fueled.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
They are doing a bonus stream right now tonight for those looking for more. They're running Crash Twinsanity right now. It's your pretty standard showcase they have been doing for months. But like I said in a previous post, GDQ has been putting on multiple shows a week for several months and they're a good way to get your speedrunning fix between events.

Also it's for backup games that didn't quite make it into the AGDQ schedule.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I barely saw Spike this time. Was I just not paying close enough attention? (I do tend to mute the interviews.)

I was feeling the same way about a few of the "regulars" but have noticed more of them in the blind spots of parts I missed. There were a few that I don't really like a much that I saw alot of that I hope is the same thing; I just happened to catch the spots they were mostly in.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Games I'd like to see from the last year that would be good at SGDQ

- Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled (All Courses)
- Kingdom Heats 3 (Maybe with DLC as well, make sure to sing more Disney Songs)
- My Friend Pedro

Also not from last year, but I would love to see if Astro Bot had speed runs that could be set up for stage.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Binding of Issac run a second time makes me wish other games in the same vein had the same kind of support. Never really could get into Issac, but the way it's community has given it legs is commendable. Also makes for a way way better run than that non seed matching race they did years ago.