• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aww, I've been watching the Terraria run and it might be one of my new favorite GDQ runs. So wholesome. And also now I want to play Terraria again, which I haven't played in years.

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
Read his twitter. Apparently it's easy to find why he should be/is canceled.
Except it's not, at least not to me.
I've been reading both his english and spanish tweets, and if anything he seems thoroughly syncretic as far as political views go, and he sounds disillusioned in general. While reprehensible (or at least, that's how I see it), the "everything sucks" attitude is not something I would run to get the pitchforks for.

As far as I got to read, the only reference to right wing politics is about Vox (a shitty right wing party in Spain)'s economic politics... which are not inherently conservative, and you can indeed consider their economic policies viable without being their supporter. I don't know if he endorses their frankly backwards politics about migrants and foreign relations, and neither do you.

He seems to have a strong dislike for "feminazis", whatever he means by that. I'd argue this is the most controversial aspect of his twitter, especially without clarification.
Though he does reference a feminist manifesto in a tweet, prasing it for not treating women like endangered and defenseless beings, but empowering them without necessarily tying them to a specific political party. But that's as far as I got to read, so... If I had to guess, given AGDQ's great track record for dealing with these issues, I'd say he probably clarified his position with the organizers. He's probably clean.

So, can we please, please, for once, avoid the witchhunt/the "fuck XXXX" posts without having the whole story? How is this kind of trigger-happy hate allowed here?

Triangulate

Oct 27, 2017
I think the cultists is because he's got a martian invasion? I saw a flying saucer at some point. Unless it was just a probe and the event would trigger the next day. I'm a bit dusty.
I forgot about that and yep, that could be it. I know an active event will stop them from spawning, though I'm not sure if the probe will do it if it's still passive.

What a crazy run. I've never watched Badger before but I can't imagine anyone could have handled things better. Was still fun to watch.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really enjoy long runs in general cause I struggle to tune into the whole thing but this FF8 run has been fantastic. A silver lining when im off work sick!

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
You do know even the best-intentioned initiatives have extremist fringes that completely disown the founding principles they should adhere to, right?
Nobody is under the obligation to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who who has looked at women's rights issues and determined hating feminazis is the play here most worth highlighting.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading both his english and spanish tweets, and if anything he seems thoroughly syncretic as far as political views go, and he sounds disillusioned in general. While reprehensible (or at least, that's how I see it), the "everything sucks" attitude is not something I would run to get the pitchforks for.

As far as I got to read, the only reference to right wing politics is about Vox (a shitty right wing party in Spain)'s economic politics... which are not inherently conservative, and you can indeed consider their economic policies viable without being their supporter. I don't know if he endorses their frankly backwards politics about migrants and foreign relations, and neither do you.

He seems to have a strong dislike for "feminazis", whatever he means by that. I'd argue this is the most controversial aspect of his twitter, especially without clarification.
Though he does reference a feminist manifesto in a tweet, prasing it for not treating women like endangered and defenseless beings, but empowering them without necessarily tying them to a specific political party. But that's as far as I got to read, so... If I had to guess, given AGDQ's great track record for dealing with these issues, I'd say he probably clarified his position with the organizers. He's probably clean.

So, can we please, please, for once, avoid the witchhunt/the "fuck XXXX" posts without having the whole story? How is this kind of trigger-happy hate allowed here?
feminazi = feminists + nazi, used by conservatives sexists to say the feminists are like nazis and are intolerant and destroying society

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do know even the best-intentioned initiatives have extremist fringes that completely disown the founding principles they should adhere to, right?
He's done nothing to earn the benefit of my doubt when he's proudly repping "feminazi" in his Twitter bio. That alone makes him suspect as hell, and I'd rather not see him in a charity event until he clarifies what he means.

Furthermore, I'll also say that I side-eye anyone who jumps to defend someone who goes on about "feminazis" in their Twitter bios.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
...I don't think I understand the story's explanation. That just sounded like a ton of nonsense.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry, I was just trying to move past the topic because I have no intention of reading his twitter and am just going to enjoy what I can of the runs for the content on them, of which I have enjoyed last year's FF9 run and am enjoying this years FF8 run.

...I don't think I understand the story's explanation. That just sounded like a ton of nonsense.

Welcome to Final Fantasy 8!

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
User Banned (1 month): Defending bigotry
feminazi = feminists + nazi, used by conservatives sexists to say the feminists are like nazis and are intolerant and destroying society
Honestly, I've seen it used far more to critique men and women who do NOT believe feminism's battle is that of equality. Bear in mind discourse IS different in Europe, compared to the States. The same words may have different meaning and weight than what you're used to.
I'm sorry, I was just trying to move past the topic because I have no intention of reading his twitter and am just going to enjoy what I can of the runs for the content on them, of which I have enjoyed last year's FF9 run and am enjoying this years FF8 run.
I wasn't singling you out by any means. I believe your stance is the most appropriate given the circumstances.
I have faith in GDQ, they wouldn't have put a mysoginistic asshole on that chair. Apparently some controversy/tweets about his bio date back to october last year, so GDQ had all the time in the world to get clarification.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I've seen it used far more to critique men and women who do NOT believe feminism's battle is that of equality. Bear in mind discourse IS different in Europe, compared to the States.
3015062728_6b27f9a6ae.jpg

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I've seen it used far more to critique men and women who do NOT believe feminism's battle is that of equality. Bear in mind discourse IS different in Europe, compared to the States. The same words may have different meaning and weight than what you're used to.
He retweets strictly anti-women accounts. It's not that far down on the timeline. Stop giving benefit of the doubt here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Dude tweeted that he is in favor of a neonazi political party. There is no benefit of the doubt no matter how much you think feminazi is a word for misandry

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait for this run to be over so people can start talking about the runs and the event again and not one shitty runner.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It would be fine if some idiots didn't die on this hill here
Deep into the Terraria run. Badger's energy and vibe is incredible. I'm not too into this game, but I gave this guy a follow and will check out his stream. Like the run isn't going too well, but he keeps it so positive, and the crowd is so into it.

Absolutely love it.
Some Mega Drive goodness soon~
Can't wait.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom

As a UK resident, I've never heard it being used in this context. It's categorically always been to disavow feminism and further the ludicrous notion that feminists are some kind of authoritarian thought police.

The runner is just a bad person with bad beliefs, there's no way around it.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deep into the Terraria run. Badger's energy and vibe is incredible. I'm not too into this game, but I gave this guy a follow and will check out his stream. Like the run isn't going too well, but he keeps it so positive, and the crowd is so into it.

Absolutely love it.

Can't wait.
The Genesis block should be good.

And to be clear for the thread (not necessarily you), we love Badger, and his positive energy during the Terraria run was great.

It's the Final Fantasy VIII run that's tainted by Luzbelheim, whom we could honestly do without on this charity stream.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I do enjoy those long runs and fully understand why they do them when they do. Great segments to catch fully when re-watching next week.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
This Genesis block is looking sick! Love Shinobi III, one of my fav Genesis games of all time.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Disappointed that this FFVIII runner managed to make it into the event, hopefully GDQ will address this soon. Didn't read about it until the very end of the run but it has definitely left a bitter taste at the end of what was an enjoyable run.

Anyway, Genesis block time. Interesting lineup on it sway.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know NA primetime hours vs. not, but I do find it funny how the one hour Terraria run raised more than half the donation amounts of the nine hour FFVIII run.