• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
banner_bigdgj34.png
Welcome to the Awesome Games Done Quick 2020 thread! Awesome Games Done Quick (AGDQ) is a long-running charity event where the speedrunning community comes together to raise money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. AGDQ 2020 will be running 24/7 from January 5th to 12th, livestreamed on Twitch.TV, featuring many speedrunners from all over the world running many of your favourite games. Viewers are invited to donate in order to unlock bonus games and events, or to enter in to raffles to win cool prizes. Games Done Quick has raised over 22 Million US Dollars since its inception, making it the largest fundraising event for Prevent Cancer Foundation! This year AGDQ will be held in Orlando, Florida by Universal Studios.
Want up to date info on Games Done Quick events!? Check out Games Done Quick on Twitter, Youtube, Twitch, and the Games Done Quick official website!

The Prevent Cancer Foundation is a United States-based non-profit organization which is dedicated to cancer prevention and early detection. Founded in 1985, the Prevent Cancer Foundation has won awards for transparency, and can average of 79 cents of every dollar donated goes directly in to the charity's programs, including cancer-related research, cancer awareness, and reducing the legal and economic barriers to cancer treatment. Find out more at www.PreventCancer.org
Games Done Quick events are partnered with Twitch.TV! You can find all their events (including AGDQ, SGDQ, GDQX, Frame Fatales, GDQ Hotfix, and more!) on their official Twitch page:
Fear not! With Awesome Games Done Quick running 24 hours a day, all week long, you're bound to miss some great runs. Fortunately, it's easy to find VODs on both Twitch and YouTube. /r/Speedrun has an updated VOD thread with timestamps for Twitch VODs, and GDQ gradually uploads runs to their YouTube channel. Even if you just missed the beginning of a run and want to rewind a short amount of time, Twitch automatically uploads a VOD of streams even if they're still live! You can find the current stream in the "Recent Broadcasts" header under Videos on the Games Done Quick Twitch page.
Games Done Quick Twitch VODs: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/videos
Games Done Quick YouTube VODs: https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesdonequick

All events, complete with Game, Runner, Runtime, and Donation reader in a handy format which automatically converts to your local time zone! Plan which days to skip out on work or class, or the optimal time to take a "bathroom break." Keep in mind that the schedule will shift over time as runs finish under or over estimate, and additional bonus events are added.

Juked.GG has also created a tool which enables you to set up alerts and notifications via browser or email for runs that you're most interested. Check it out here: Juked.gg/events/lHzdHdpM6ZW1wXmb1zaf
banner_donationjrjmq.png
Want to donate!? There are multiple ways to contribute! Donations can be made directly to PCF via Games Done Quick's portal. Alternatively, you can buy cool limited time T-Shirt, Buttons, and Banners from The Yetee, an official partner of Games Done Quick. All profits from this merch is donated to PCF via GDQ!
Want to see how high the donation total has gotten? Maybe you want to see the upcoming incentives or prizes? Games Done Quick provides a simple donation tracker!
Q: I really love Awesome Games Done Quick, but Twitch chat is awful! Where can I go to discuss the marathon free of spam, bigotry, and bad memes!?
A: We have a long running community which originally started as a private Twitch chat, and has since moved to Discord! Feel free to join us, just please read #info and familiarize yourself with the rules!​
Q: Wow! This event is awesome! How do I attend!?
A: Unfortunately, you're required to register in advance to attend. Since Games Done Quick events come around twice a year, make sure to be on the look out for the next one! All info for attendees can be found here: GamesDoneQuick.com/Attend​

Q: WHAT THE HECK!? THEY'RE USING GLITCHES!
A: Speedrunning is the process of beating a game as fast as humanly possible! This includes the use of glitches. The number of glitches used varies by game, of course, and there are a variety of categories which each utilize different strategies. The schedule entry between the time slot and the system the game is being run on shows which category will be featured at AGDQ, including "any%", which is beating the game as fast as possible without restrictions, and "glitchless" or "no major glitches" categories which disallow some or all glitches.​

Q: Dang this is so cool! How can I watch more speedruns!?
A: The Games Done Quick Twitch channel hosts an increasingly varied number of events all year around. Other marathons (including European Speedrun Assembly, and a number of tournaments and community marathons) are regularly hosted all over Twitch. Simply searching for speedruns on Youtube, or glancing at the SpeedRuns.com leader boards will give you a host of awesome runs to watch.​

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Am I going to spend the next month binging the reuploads?

Hell yeah.

CMM1215

Oct 25, 2017
Very nice OT!! Kudos :)

Heading to bed now to get ready to fly there. Hope you all enjoy the show!!

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for anything that reaches the hype that was the $3 million ending to SGDQ last year

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
My second favourite gaming charity-a-thon after Desert Bus.

Some real good shit on the docket too, although I can't let myself get excited for another DOOM (2016) run. Every time I expect to see a combat god, and instead it's a lot of out-of-bounds (I'm not strictly against OOB stuff on the whole but it can be a disappointment depending on the run).

CMM1215

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any runs they're particularly excited for?

I'm mostly gonna be in the stream room for friends runs, so make sure to catch the Sonic CD 2011 race, Link's Awakening Switch, Jak II, DKC3, etc :)

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I'm mostly gonna be in the stream room for friends runs, so make sure to catch the Sonic CD 2011 race, Link's Awakening Switch, Jak II, DKC3, etc :)

The Destiny 2 raid run is a unique thing you usually don't see at a GDQ so I'm into it

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Legendary subtitle. Looking forward to the usual blocks, but I have to admit that the Myst block and the Destiny 2 Last Wish raid I'm particularly anticipating.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017

Sonic block is always a highlight. Stuff like MGS3, Super Monkey Ball and RE4 should definitely be a blast too.

Interested to see Bayo 2 and DMC5 since I've not seen runs of them before.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like agdq hasn't been as fun as its earlier years but I look forward to watching the castlevania and megaman blocks.

cryophantom

Dec 21, 2019
I feel like agdq hasn't been as fun as its earlier years but I look forward to watching the castlevania and megaman blocks.
What makes or breaks it for me is just the runners themselves. Sometimes the top tier runners of any given game are just plain not entertaining to watch. The ones that go all "serious mode" and don't talk at all really sort of put me off.

Some of the best runs ever have even had couch commentators actively giving the runners shit about everything.

If I were running the show and picking the runners, I think it's an absolute no-brainer decision to prioritize runners with more entertaining personalities, even if they are only mid-tier at the actual game.

Claris

Oct 29, 2017
What makes or breaks it for me is just the runners themselves. Sometimes the top tier runners of any given game are just plain not entertaining to watch. The ones that go all "serious mode" and don't talk at all really sort of put me off.

Some of the best runs ever have even had couch commentators actively giving the runners shit about everything.

If I were running the show and picking the runners, I think it's an absolute no-brainer decision to prioritize runners with more entertaining personalities, even if they are only mid-tier at the actual game.
They always choose the person with the fastest time (out of those that submit). If someone is "more entertaining", they can always be on couch commentary for the run and providing the entertainment that way.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best time of the year. This week is prepped to be a really difficult one for me, so I'm really thankful to have AGDQ for some support

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Is that GTA:SA run with the new skip? Time does have it sub 4 hours so I'm assuming no.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait. Come for the speedrunning, stay for the insanely awkward shit that happens on the stream every single year.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
It's cool they're doing a VectorMan 2 run Wednesday morning. Not the better of the two VectorMans but I love it nevertheless.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
When some awesome games

Graced with charity

And runners of great skill

Beat them speedily

From when the twitch chat talked

Of donations and reveled

The shouts of "orb!"

As they beat the next level

They played skillfully

Without needing cheats

And everyone wondered

Can this record be beat?

Toss a coin to your runners

Oh forum of plenty

Oh forum of plenty

Ohhhhhhh

Toss a coin to your runners

'Cause it's all for charity!

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
EDF5 by halfcoordinated sounds great. I barely watch this nowadays though, and the games I find interesting are always on when I'm at work or asleep.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I always try to catch as many of these runs as possible live every year, can't wait for it to start tomorrow!

cryophantom

Dec 21, 2019
They always choose the person with the fastest time (out of those that submit). If someone is "more entertaining", they can always be on couch commentary for the run and providing the entertainment that way.
A good couch can (and absolutely has) been able to carry otherwise boring runs. I just think for me personally, when the runners themselves are more involved in the banter and commentary and are really trying to make it more than just doing the run, I tend to enjoy it more and I think a lot of people feel the same way.

Fundamentally - I guess it comes down to whether this is supposed to primarily be a speedrunning event that also benefits charity, or a charity event that is based around the speedrunning community. If it is the former - I completely agree that they should just take the people with the best times. However, if it truly is supposed to be a charity event - then the primary goal should be to make it as entertaining an experience as possible from start to finish to try and continually draw in new viewers (who hopefully become donators).

Some of the most popular events over the past few years are stuff like Mario Maker, Zelda rando, relays, etc. I don't think it's an accident that those aren't "serious" speedrunning events. The general public just isn't going to be as likely to tune in to watch a guy or gal they've never heard of be super serious and try and set a record playing some game they've never heard of. And I bet if someone actually went back through all the run history and looked at donation numbers on more serious runs vs fun runs, I would be willing to bet that the fun runs bring in WAY more money.

I still have been tuning in and supporting since the start, as I do genuinely love GDQ, but I do think the event itself has the potential to be way bigger than it actually is. IMO It's been pretty stagnant the last 2-3 years, and ironically trying to keep such a huge focus on the actual speedrunning is something that's holding it back.

ChrisEnri

Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Looking forward to the Final Fantasy 8 run, the Final Fantasy 7 run by ajneb a couple years ago was awesome so I hope 8 is just as good.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Said it in the other thread but I'm bummed that the Superstar Saga run is so late. That's one that I'm really excited to watch. Overall though, the schedule looks good. Going to be a really fun week.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Is the Legend of Zelda relay just 1, 2, and LTTP? Still pretty cool if so. Also YESSSS LTTP randomizer run!

Also is Fallout Anthology gonna be 1-3, or is Vegas part of it?

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Excited as I'm actually going! Gonna try to check in with my kids tomorrow (its a 45 min drive from my house), hope its not too crazy.