• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
away-2-1.jpg

Anyone watching this? send me to Mars if old...

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Her career confuses me. She's like a Naomi Watts/Carrie Coon situation where they should be everywhere but are relegated to mostly shitty projects.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: OOPS thanks for moving to Etcetera mods.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's just me being picky, but I'm on the first episode and the lack of communications delay from the lunar base to Earth kind of irks me. I recall it being played straight in The Expanse when Avasarala was talking to her husband while he was on the moon. It's only about one second, but can really mess up conversations.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Watched this yesterday and today. It's not bad, except for pretty much everything aroung Swank's character. Felt like a soap opera sometimes. I felt all the other characters were much more compelling. Especially the Chinese and Russian astronauts

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Based on the tiny clip I saw on Netflix's auto play trailer, I can't help but think this looks a lot like Another Life. Is it any better?

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I know it's just me being picky, but I'm on the first episode and the lack of communications delay from the lunar base to Earth kind of irks me. I recall it being played straight in The Expanse when Avasarala was talking to her husband while he was on the moon. It's only about one second, but can really mess up conversations.
Yeah I stopped watching halfway through the first episode. Wanted sci-fi with some drama and got drama with some sci-fi

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I stopped watching halfway through the first episode. Wanted sci-fi with some drama and got drama with some sci-fi
I'm still watching, as I don't really mind the drama terribly. But you sum it up rather well, as I guess they're just going to have perfect real-time communication all the way to Mars so that the drama can be maintained at the expense of scientific accuracy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely hate it when the top astronauts in the world act like children at summer camp. Fucking fucks, act like adults. Apollo 13 is the only piece of media that shows Astronauts behaving like...well astronauts.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on episode 2 so far and this mission has the worst flight director in history of NASA.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I just wanna say I really loved this. For some reason I started buying into the astronaut crew and cared for them. Melodrama aside, I was impressed with how it lingered on some of the space moments, moments of reflection and not a spinning circus ride like Gravity for example (as fun as that was in its own way). A decent journey to mars in my book.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the show. Put it on taking a chance and found myself getting through it in 2 days. I very much enjoyed it. I feel like the drama with a sci fi backdrop such as this was very interesting, def not something I've seen before, and more importantly I think the characters were all strong enough to carry through. I enjoyed the back and forth with earth to the astronauts.

It's not a show I would have guessed I would enjoy as much as I did, but I'm happy I've seen it and it exists. Hoping Season 2 happens for this show.

Also as a side note, space cellphones is a great idea in my book. If these folks are genuinely heading to mars, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for the communication delay being either non-existent or relatively short.

Show had many beautiful moments in both the shuttle and just space in general.

I recommend it though can understand how it would turn people off.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Based on the tiny clip I saw on Netflix's auto play trailer, I can't help but think this looks a lot like Another Life. Is it any better?
It's much better than another life, but it's still not really that good.

The show itself focuses a lot on characters, and eschews a lot of the science. an alright watch you don't have anything else to do, I think the rotten score suits it pretty well.

Oct 28, 2017
The gf and I just finished it. Not bad but far from great. If it gets renewed we'd give it a shot because...well there isn't a lot on tv these days.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone watch "Mars", which was a similar show on NatGeo? Wondering how it compares.
I'm so glad you brought up NatGeo Mars. It is a much better show in every single regard. NatGeo Mars is sooooo much better. It is hell lot realistic as well. Away is hot garbage.

in Mars (NatGeo), the scientists and astronauts are professionals and do not make shitty stupid decisions. They work as a team and handle each and every issue with care and professionalism just as you would expect of a high-powered team of individuals. Away is completely opposite. Problems are handled like teens in highschool yard, along with blame-game and gossiping. Nobody respects the mission commander which is just lol to me.

Jan 29, 2018
I'm four episodes in and enjoying it so far. Honestly I might be more invested in the storyline with Emma's husband and daughter than I am in Emma herself. So far each episode has had a lot of flashbacks to a a crewmember's backstory so I don't know what the show will do once it covers all five of them.

Can someone explain the use of normal cellphones in space?

I kinda like it. They can obviously communicate with the ship, so there's no reason NASA couldn't route calls to into the ship to one of five custom phones on the ship. They're obviously not going to be on Verizon's network or anything.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it over the weekend, was alright. Wouldn't mind a season 2. Decent cast as well.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the series myself last night. I did enjoy it, but it wasn't what I was expecting going in. Wanted more space action drama, something more like The Martian or Gravity. The series fell into a pretty standard formula where each episode focused on one character and their family drama, which was fine for the first half. But I guess the show is mainly interested in trying to tell the story of what it's like for these 5 people being "away" from their families at home for so long.

Still fun though overall. Seems like they want to do 3 seasons after reading some interviews. Season 2 being centered around them on Mars, and Season 3on them coming home.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad you brought up NatGeo Mars. It is a much better show in every single regard. NatGeo Mars is sooooo much better. It is hell lot realistic as well. Away is hot garbage.

in Mars (NatGeo), the scientists and astronauts are professionals and do not make shitty stupid decisions. They work as a team and handle each and every issue with care and professionalism just as you would expect of a high-powered team of individuals. Away is completely opposite. Problems are handled like teens in highschool yard, along with blame-game and gossiping. Nobody respects the mission commander which is just lol to me.
Ah yeah, I was hoping this show was more like Mars and be grounded, but without the Elon Musk wankery. lol
I wouldn't mind the drama and all that, but I was kind of hoping the procedure aspect would be closer to Mars or The Martian than most fantastical science fiction.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Haven't finished it yet, a few episodes left. I find myself watching it just to get to the space stuff. Reminded me a lot of Messiah. Just waiting patiently for the payoff...
The religiosity increases with each episode it seems. It is a bit off putting.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Watched through this over a couple of nights this week. It was okay.

The lack of a delay in communications popped out at me, but I could deal with it. I actually found the immediate animosity between the crew much harder to accept. I think the series would have been better served taking the opposite approach with a tight knit team coming apart slowly over time under the growing weight and stress of their situation and challenges.

Given where the season finished up, will give season 2 watch when it turns up, but won't be on the edge of my seat waiting for it.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Four episodes in this is one of the most offensively bad shows I have seen this year. Are Hollywood writers really just incapable of imagining astronauts as being anything but passive aggressive, petty, weak willed, arrogant and selfish emotional wrecks?
And then there's the endless sentimental flashbacks and the oppressive somber mood of the whole thing. It's like going to mars is the low point of their lives. In the real world not a single one of these people would be qualified to take a ten minute bus ride on their own.

Oct 25, 2017
It managed to get over the low bar set by another life. I'd call it watchable. Made it though the whole thing, and I might watch a second season, but if it doesn't get one, I really don't care. The drilling scene was the absolute worst in terms of throwing reality out the window.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I liked it at a lot of points. Making a drama that attempted to maintain a base in hard sci fi was an original concept, and I respect that.

The high point for me was episode 3, and Wang Lu's relationship. That was powerful, beautiful stuff with no qualifications.

The following episode, however, begins with a case of space madness. Now, I like space madness as much as the next person, but it's not a concept that works in every show or movie, and certainly not in a serious production. Once you choose space madness, you're going down a specific path, and there's no turning back.

From a technological standpoint,

I disliked the issue with the water recycling system. Engineering for space travel is all about redundancy. It makes no sense that a key part of the life support system could fail without the partst to repair it. And the backup is a crappy unit that works half as well, and isn't durable enough to last for even half of one direction of the trip. This is insane."

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Four episodes in this is one of the most offensively bad shows I have seen this year. Are Hollywood writers really just incapable of imagining astronauts as being anything but passive aggressive, petty, weak willed, arrogant and selfish emotional wrecks?
And then there's the endless sentimental flashbacks and the oppressive somber mood of the whole thing. It's like going to mars is the low point of their lives. In the real world not a single one of these people would be qualified to take a ten minute bus ride on their own.
My thoughts exactly.

Deleted member 77016

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 4, 2020
I found it watchable, although my main problem was the ridiculous number of things that go wrong. Did whoever designed the spacecraft have to do it in a week, whilst completely baked?

Maybe if they had played it up as petty human rivalries between the various agencies involved resulting in flaws in the final spacecraft, I would have found it more believable.

Russian astronaut was my favourite character by far.

Jan 29, 2018
I enjoyed it, largely due to the cast. A season 2 on Mars could be pretty cool and I'd definitely watch it. Surprisingly for what you'd think is going to be a space adventure I was more invested in what was going on with Josh Charles and the daughter.

Also the last minute
Rham confessing his feelings for Emma and then Melissa hinting at feelings for [Josh Charles' character name] seemed out of nowhere at pretty dumb. That's not what I'm here for at all.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I enjoyed it, largely due to the cast. A season 2 on Mars could be pretty cool and I'd definitely watch it. Surprisingly for what you'd think is going to be a space adventure I was more invested in what was going on with Josh Charles and the daughter.

Also the last minute
Rham confessing his feelings for Emma and then Melissa hinting at feelings for [Josh Charles' character name] seemed out of nowhere at pretty dumb. That's not what I'm here for at all.

Your spoiler is why I might just skip it if a season 2 comes out. That is definitely not what I signed up for.

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Just finished. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I've also barely left my house for 6 months due to the pandemic. I'm running out of shit to watch. Agree with others that it was much more "drama with some sci-fi" than I had expected, which was a bit disappointing. I was far more interested in every crew member besides Emma. She was selfish and I couldn't help but think there would be no way she would have become an astronaut irl. I particularly liked Lu, Kwesi and Micha. Will watch s2 if renewed, but I hope they incorporate more science next time around.

Also the last minute

I agree that Ram's feelings seemed random, but you didn't see the Melissa thing coming before then? Her looks at Matt were so obvious for several eps imo.

Also, saw this on Ato Essandoh's (Kwesi) instagram and thought it was really wholesome.

Last edited:

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished this after trudging through it for like 2 weeks. My wife gave up after like half an episode. I have honestly never been so bored watching a Netflix series in my life, but the completionist in me had to see the end. Long bouts of nothing with drama thrown in for drama's sake.. Then toss in a multitude of overly long drawn out slow motion shots of nothing interesting for emotional content. Meh.

If there is a second season, I won't be back.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How is this is comparison to say for all mankind? A lot of people didn't seem to like that either and I really enjoyed it.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted sci-fi with some drama and got drama with some sci-fi

That's not an extreme enough description, it's a LOT of drama with very little sci fi. I'm only four eps in and I don't think I want to see any more. These characters aren't astronauts, they belong on LOST or Dawson's Creek. It's like the writers set out to make an overly dramatic show with a space background just for flavor.

This show is so disappointing to me, I'm not sure I want to finish it.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Was about halfway through and read it got cancelled. It's ok so far but Not sure if I want to finish. Very light on the sci-fi outside of the scenery. I did like the episodes on the Russian and Chinese astros though.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Personally enjoyed it - yeah it wasn't brilliant - but my wife in particular really enjoyed it. A shame we won't get more

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
That's not an extreme enough description, it's a LOT of drama with very little sci fi. I'm only four eps in and I don't think I want to see any more. These characters aren't astronauts, they belong on LOST or Dawson's Creek. It's like the writers set out to make an overly dramatic show with a space background just for flavor.

This show is so disappointing to me, I'm not sure I want to finish it.

Glad this thread got bumped, this show was heavily recommended to me by family and we maybe lasted 3 episodes, people made ME out to be the crazy one! The shitty attitudes, and the constant crying and melodrama. I agree non of those astronauts seemed qualified, and from the get go all they want to do is mutiny.