• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Now your just being silly. This doesn't mean anything like what you tried to put across because he's not doing anything thats outside the law or rules. Has he broke the law? He's doing what freedom allows us to do which is choose. He hasn't done anything illegal. You might not agree with it or like it.
Being an asshole to women isn't against the law, would you say it's okay then? That's what you're saying. Calling someone a racial slur isn't against the law. You need to understand "the law" isn't the metric for what's proper or just, and it's a fool's errand to cite it as such.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
*his own*
yeah cause every time somebody starts a rumor is its fan. so I guess for other streamers is its own fans too who do SWATing or Stream Snipping? right?
His stream then, if you want to get semantic about it.

Regardless, rumors are part of the celebrity lifestyle. You can't really be a massive public figure without them.

And I don't see how swatting and stream sniping are relevant here. They're shitty things that people do to streamers, but how does that relate to them playing with women?

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
The mike pence life strats are pretty gross. He's in a position of cultural power and the refusal to play with women is gonna reinforce shitty attitudes for young fans. He could have used his platform to help a bunch of boys grow up seeing normal healthy interaction with women treated as peers. Buncha ninja fans probably gonna grow up to be the kinds of weirdos who chalenge chicks to prove their fandom / nerd cred in really petty ways.

Now your just being silly. This doesn't mean anything like what you tried to put across because he's not doing anything thats outside the law or rules. Has he broke the law? He's doing what freedom allows us to do which is choose. He hasn't done anything illegal. You might not agree with it or like it.

It's a nonsensical deflection because no one said ninja should be thrown in jail.

If the only defense of an opinion is that it's not a crime, then it's probably an asshole-ish thing to believe.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I remember when this broke national news my gf called him an asshole. It's weird because I was totally expecting her to understand where he was coming from, excluding all women from his popular stream in order to placate sexists and curtail baseless rumors that no one sane would take seriously. Odd.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are always going to be people who just hate the guy and call him whatever, but that's not the point of this thread. We're just saying don't be complicit and reward this kind of behavior. Give an award to someone making content that actually benefits gaming and not just gaming's bottom line.

No, that award is for gamings bottom line. Content creating. Nothing with a specific kind of behaviour. And he doesn't even mean it a bad way. He got fairly chosen. The "discussion" went to a different direction pretty quick, with drive-by posts like "he's full of shit", "such a sexist/racist/nazi". Where are the bans here might i ask. Nothing of value gets added by these posts.

Except it does, he refuses to stream with women haha

So everything is okay because it's just his decision, I guess. Can't criticize anyone for any decision.

Jesus H, he refuses to stream with someone based on their sex. It is literally textbook discrimination. Your whole argument is that we should not give a shit about it and leave him alone, and hey, go for it, nobody is stopping you. The rest of us are able to see when wrong is being done and choose to speak on it.

That's not what i say. You can criticize decisions, but there's a difference between critizism and outright calling him nazi, racist or sexist because of that. No one was harmed because of his decision, that's all there is to it. And yes, you go full circle already. If he says he outright can't, then he can't. There was no reason given because women are "bad", "worth less" or something alike. It has to do with himself. You can't call this discrimination.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Going through the last dozen of pages have been revelatory- Intent (based on presumption that Ninja made) vs Effect.

As a single guy who has gone through a few phases I have to say:

1. Apologists are essentially justifying 'jealousy', an aspect that would be considered toxic in a healthy relationship.
2. Ninja did this preemptively and on his own based on his assumption of the needs of his relationship dynamic regardless of his wife being okay with it.
3. Ninja's presence in the main stream media and public consciousness should have necessitated a deeper introspection and discussion with his partner so that he could have grown a thicker skin to infantile and toxic nonsense and rise above them.
4. His justification allied to this award sends a signal to the gaming streamers that with the right excuse, exclusion of certain demographics of people is not only acceptable but also rewarding.
5. Women are not monolith. They have differing opinions like everyone else and consequently their opinions are subject to same praise and criticism as their male counter part's. And that "understanding" Ninja's decision to exclude women by a noteworthy female twitch streamer does not caste an impenetrable shield around Ninja, negating the net effect of discrimination against women.
6. Given the power of his fame, I hope Ninja grows as a person and realizes just how destructive this discrimination born out of fear is in the greater scheme of things.

Finally, by way of whatboutism let me just state this:

Did you folks really have great expectations from an event which flew out the manipulative spineless sociopathic centrist, Boogie2988?

Gaming culture continues to be trash because trashiest people generate revenue on mostly amoral platforms (capitalism y'all), get widely recognized and act as gatekeepers for what constitutes said culture.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Are you fucking serious? This dude is not the first or the last human being to be bothered by internet trolls. Why the fuck are you treating this grown ass man like a sensitive little snowflake that needs to hide from women for his own well being?
Yall are fucking clowning if you believe this bullshit.

There is no excuse for this shit. Stop excusing this sexist clown. And real takk, you are defending him, you are not fooling anyone.

Maybe he is a sensitive snowflake? That's his decision to make. And it's not just his own well-being, it's for his family.

How else do you think every single other streamer who streams with women handles this made up situation? Oh right, by not giving into toxic trolls and alt right scum bags and just doing the right thing. HE also never said it was about protecting them from harassment, thats what we call gaslighting. He said he didn't want to deal with the rumors of possible flirting.

Which other streamer has faced this situation? None.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
The Game Awards are a popularity contest. Ninja was the most popular streamer in 2018. The awards have never been about actual merit.

Dec 14, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Baseless fearmongering in regards to sexual assault allegations.
In an era of #metoo, one of the unintended side effects will be men who don't want to risk an accusation.

It might not be the decision you'd make, but it's also not crazy. Accusing a man of sexual impropriety has become an easy way to take him down.

Don't expect everyone to agree with you that it's a crazy strategy.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going through this thread, I see a lot of posts to this affect, talking about how it's all about him not wanting to deal with rumors, stuff like this, among other examples:
Hasn't he stated its because he doesn't want people to spread rumors about him and the person he's playing with? It sounds like that thing Pence has with his wife, where he'll only be with another woman alone with her.
It's a silly reason, but I don't think the dude's terrible.
I thought it was cleared up that the reason why Ninja doesn't play with girl streamers on stream is to prevent rumors that he and the girl he's streaming with are dating or he's cheating on his wife. Not because he's sexist or hates women.
This was covered by polygon. https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/13/17686818/ninja-female-streamers-twitch-response
The thing I don't get about this is, why doesn't he just ban any sexist fuckwits who try that shit? He certainly makes enough money to not have to worry about who he keeps around in his chat and who he doesn't.

That he apparently refuses to do that, and is more interested in ensuring they stick around so he can have more money he doesn't need and use their sexism as an excuse to do sexist shit himself instead of, y'know, just taking out the trash, certainly says a lot about him and nothing good. The fact that a large part of his chat might be sexist is no reason for him to just default into doing something seixst himself, but rather do something about the situation. It in no way justifies excluding an entire gender. That just makes no sense at all and is absolutely, 100% on him.

LogicAirForce

Oct 25, 2017
Going through this thread, I see a lot of posts to this affect, talking about how it's all about him not wanting to deal with rumors, stuff like this, among other examples:

The thing I don't get about this is, why doesn't he just ban any sexist fuckwits who try that shit? He certainly makes enough money to not have to worry about who he keeps around in his chat and who he doesn't.

That he apparently refuses to do that, and is more interested in ensuring they stick around so he can have more money he doesn't need and use their sexism as an excuse to do sexist shit himself instead of, y'know, just taking out the trash, certainly says a lot about him and nothing good. The fact that a large part of his chat might be sexist is no reason for him to just default into doing something seixst himself, but rather do something about the situation. It in no way justifies excluding an entire gender. That just makes no sense at all and is absolutely, 100% on him.
I agree. He is a huge coward and it's sad that so many kids look up to him. But I guess that's what happens when shitty parents are to lazy to look into what media their kids are consuming.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
A+ mental gymnastics going on in here.

Now Ninja should intentionally provoke these assholes, and bring unwanted scrutiny onto him and his relationship so that he can demonstrate his courage in dealing with anonymous internet shit stains?

And the fact that he simply chooses to opt out of that bullshit makes him a coward?

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017

Now Ninja should intentionally provoke these assholes, and bring unwanted scrutiny onto him and his relationship so that he can demonstrate his courage in dealing with anonymous internet shit stains?

And the fact that he simply chooses to opt out of that bullshit makes him a coward?
Yes, choosing not to work with an entire gender simply to avoid rumors does indeed make him a coward, and it is indeed sexist. Not seeing how that's hard to understand.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Maybe because a lot of gamers are immature people. These kinds of people thrive becauss the majority of people who consumer their work are of the same ilk.

Sadly,.majority of gamers are prepubescent tweens and teens and 20s people who really are immature and stupid. That's the reality of video games for now since the medium is so young.and people who play games have a lot of free time,.thus reflective of the audience's demographics.

It's really sad, tbh. This is our reality.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Only seeing one person with mental gymnastics here and it's the one that's been justifying sexism throughout the thread, and this post of your's is no different.

No matter how you slice it, "my fanbase is full of assholes" is not justification for him to be an asshole himself and not stream with women. That's just his own fault for not doing a better job curating his audience to begin with and letting it get so bad in the first place, especially since, as established in every thread where this comes up, Ninja himself is one of the people who loves to 'cause exactly the same type of drama he supposedly hates... as long as it doesn't concern him and his, anyway. He's perfectly fine with doing it to other people. It's only when it's concerning himself that it's suddenly a problem. And if that's his attitude, he can't be mad when the chickens come home to roost.

And as established, that relationship stuff is bullshit anyway. He never talked to his wife at all. It has nothing to do with her or their relationship at all. That's just stuff he made up, speaking for her and assuming it would cause drama while not actually knowing how she feels at all. It has nothing to do with her and the way he's using his own wife of all people to try and justify his own sexism without even talking to her or actually knowing her actual feelings or anything just makes it that much worse.

Either way though, no matter how you slice it, he's literally discriminating against half the planet. His actions are sexist through and through and that doesn't change no matter what excuses or mental gymnastics you try to employ, and that's all on him.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

People with a platform to enact change should be expected to do so.

This is a man with an enormous amount of influence on an impressionable, youthful base of fans, and he can use that power for the positive by promoting a better view of gender equality.

Literally one of the year's most popular games revolves around a character whose modus operandi states, "with great power comes great responsibility." Fucking use that responsibility rather than run from it like a coward.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Rationalizing sexism and exclusionary rhetoric
I'm not gonna lie, its his choice who he plays with, I don't exactly see a problem with who he chooses to play with? Yes its a stupid reason, but if I don't want to play with someone, I don't. So why should he?