• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
First off, it would be appreciated if you didn't type that. Not telling you what to do, just asking.

Secondly, it's not a convincing excuse. That reaction is inexcusable. I have been called that and much worse btw, never felt the need to behave like that.
Apologies, I'll refrain in the future.

I disagree that it's inexcusable. Honestly, I think it's fairly reasonable to be a dick to someone if they say call you a word like that, that said it was an overreaction.

I wouldn't be surprised with this level of dedication if you're his business manager.
Uh huh, the classic "I don't know how to respond so I'm going to call you a shill" response.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised with this level of dedication if you're his business manager.

I honestly think these sort of defensive tirades have less to do with the celebrity in question, and more to do with fearing that the behaviour they see as acceptable ever be questioned. Because that means that they're being questioned as well. It's self defense.

People have a tendency to project themselves into celebrities and don't cope well when the facade crumbles.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh huh, the classic "I don't know how to respond so I'm going to call you a shill" response.

More like "I don't know how to respond to a bewildering post where a poster doesn't even take words coming out of the person's mouth we're currently debating as sincere and instead makes up shit to suit his or her argument even in the face of overwhelming evidence otherwise, without getting banned."

There really is no point in having a discussion when you won't even agree on facts.

I honestly think these sort of defensive tirades have less to do with the celebrity in question, and more to do with fearing that the behaviour they see as acceptable ever be questioned. Because that means that they're being questioned as well. It's self defense.

I'm sure you're probably right. Identifying with Ninja and thinking actions like what he and Mike Pence do is normal is just not something I will be able to understand.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing you're referring to Ninja saying that it was entirely his decision?

Well, that is entirely irrelevant. The guy presumably knows his wife fairly well, therefore I'm guessing he can probably deduce what she does and doesn't like. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that perhaps he realised that his wife would not at all enjoy being involved in drama and rumours and so took steps to ensure that this wouldn't happen.

Basically, his wife doesn't need to explicitly tell him her wishes. In a long term relationship you can make decisions on behalf of your SO.

That's also assuming that he was telling the truth in that statement. Considering his wife is basically his business manager I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was something they discussed before hand. Even then they have certainly have discussed it now.

That means nothing.

See the above.

Have you ever heard of Occam's razor?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm guessing you're referring to Ninja saying that it was entirely his decision?

Well, that is entirely irrelevant. The guy presumably knows his wife fairly well, therefore I'm guessing he can probably deduce what she does and doesn't like. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that perhaps he realised that his wife would not at all enjoy being involved in drama and rumours and so took steps to ensure that this wouldn't happen.

Basically, his wife doesn't need to explicitly tell him her wishes. In a long term relationship it's fairly easy to figure those out on your own.
So you're just making stuff up

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It's hardly irrational to not want to be harassed by the internet rumour mill.

So why do we not care about not wanting to be harassed by the rumor mill in literally every other instance of having a job? I can't tell my boss I can't work with women because of the rumor mill. 99% of people in the US can't do that. And even people that are their own bosses can't usually do that because their customer base would think it's fucking insanity.

Since when is "possible rumors" a good excuse for large scale discrimination? I mean you could use the same excuse for racism back in the day. "Oh you can't hire that person. Think of the rumors!"

Again, I've stated it's not irrational to be jealous. It's irrational to discriminate half the population because of that jealousy.

This is all beside the point because his wife is not actually fucking jealous. So it's a kind of ridiculous thing that people are using her as a shield in order to justify fucking over other women.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
If awarding a man who uses a lame excuse to justify not streaming with a woman is the worst thing that the TGA does, they are already a step up on the Academy Awards who gave a standing ovation to a convicted pedophile.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure you're probably right. Identifying with Ninja and thinking actions like what he and Mike Pence do is normal is just not something I will be able to understand.

You and me both. I've worked with women most of my life. Never once have i thought about not working with women because my partner would be jealous. Or never once have i wished not to either.

What i have found from experience is that i would rather work within a mixed group than an exclusively male group. Any time. Less drama.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Are you familiar with sexism and misogyny? I assume so. So, when you engage in those things, especially when you have a large platform, and especially when a lot of that platform are impressionable kids, it absolutely perpetuates those things. I don't get how you can reasonably argue against that. You can see the results of that sort of thinking in the defenses to him in this very thread.

Do you believe someone who has a black friend cannot be racist? Because he treats his wife well doesn't mean what he's doing isn't discrimination or misogyny.

I mean, if someone is saying he has no choice but to discriminate for the sake of his privacy or marriage, they are implying he's a victim of those things.
Before responding to all of you points I want to make a few items clear. I believe that Ninja IS in the wrong, with reasoning that is a stretch and a result that is regressive. However, I don't think it comes from a negative place, such that he should be blacklisted from participating in industry events or should be blocked being awarded for industry events, or that the game awards awarding him is problematic for the industry.

I agree he may perpetuate the same type of reasoning in his fanbase, but that does not necessarily means there is a "discriminatory atmosphere" around him or his fanbase. He has fans because he is a great fortnite player and is animated, and people are inspired by that. When considering the atmosphere he creates you have to look at the context of his choice and the entire presentation he puts online, which includes lots of praise for his wife.

So, no, just because you have a black friend doesn't make you not racist, but that's a completely different argument and conclusion to what we are talking about here. Again, it's about the "atmosphere" he creates, and I'm saying consider that he comes across of adoring his wife and constantly praises her and his audience sees that too.

He made a choice, and he explained it. He never claimed not to have a choice. Just because I'm saying he's not a villain doesn't mean I think he's a hero.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
More like "I don't know how to respond to a bewildering post where a poster doesn't even take words coming out of the person's mouth we're currently debating as sincere and instead makes up shit to suit his or her argument even in the face of overwhelming evidence otherwise, without getting banned."

There really is no point in having a discussion when you won't even agree on facts.
It's possible to understand how your partner might feel about something without them explicitly telling you.

Read this line:
'No — I'm not even gonna put you through that.'
His wife doesn't need to tell him outright that she didn't want to be part of internet drama and rumours. He's making this decision on her behalf.

So why do we not care about not wanting to be harassed by the rumor mill in literally every other instance of having a job? I can't tell my boss I can't work with women because of the rumor mill. 99% of people in the US can't do that. And even people that are their own bosses can't usually do that because their customer base would think it's fucking insanity.

Since when is "possible rumors" a good excuse for large scale discrimination? I mean you could use the same excuse for racism back in the day. "Oh you can't hire that person. Think of the rumors!"

Again, I've stated it's not irrational to be jealous. It's irrational to discriminate half the population because of that jealousy.

This is all beside the point because his wife is not actually fucking jealous. So it's a kind of ridiculous thing that people are using her as a shield in order to justify fucking over other women.

Because most jobs aren't in an entirely social environment infront of hundreds of thousands of anonymous people.

People keep using the workplace analogy but streaming is social environment, not a professional one. Just because it's technically Ninja's job does not make his stream at all comparable to a workplace.

Would you make the same arguments if a streamer who was only doing it for fun made the same decision as Ninja?

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
If awarding a man who uses a lame excuse to justify not streaming with a woman is the worst thing that the TGA does, they are already a step up on the Academy Awards who gave a standing ovation to a convicted pedophile.

Yeah I really don't understand what was the point comparing this to other industries, just makes him look good in comparison. Though people were bringing up Oscars/Hollywood regarding Boogie too, don't people really know what goes in music and film/tv industry both. And what kind of people they celebrate. I'm certain Kanye will be still invited to parties too.

Edit: Also Alucard_DCLXVI_ you've said you were happy to see God of War win. Are you aware the director, who also got a personal award, is calling people like Boogie his friend. You might want to reconsider your stance on God of War and it getting an award at this show. I feel with all the controversy around the show, Barlog has been overlooked.

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really don't understand what was the point comparing this to other industries, just makes him look good in comparison. Though people were bringing up Oscars/Hollywood regarding Boogie too, don't people really know what goes in music and film/tv industry both. And what kind of people they celebrate. I'm certain Kanye will be still invited to parties too.

Edit: Also Alucard_DCLXVI_ you've said you were happy to see God of War win. Are you aware the director, who also got a personal award, is calling people like Boogie his friend. You might want to reconsider your stance on God of War and it getting an award at this show. I feel with all the controversy around the show, Barlog has been overlooked.

Wow, I remember with the David Jaffe thing people were saying stuff like "at least Cory Barlog is ok." Welp.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's okay to be friends with people you may disagree with on fundamental issues.

I don't know why Era has this die hard wish to demonize everyone who might be even relatively associated with someone who says some wack shit. Not to mention that friendships in general are more nuanced, so it's not something that's black and white.

Absolutely demonize what was said, but also attempt to understand why it was said, how to educate those who said it on the realities, and move forward.

And this is coming from a bi person who has sat down with homophobic friends to discuss and not discuss these things.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's okay to be friends with people you may disagree with on fundamental issues.

I don't know why Era has this die hard wish to demonize everyone who might be even relatively associated with someone who says some wack shit. Not to mention that friendships in general are more nuanced, so it's not something that's black and white.

Absolutely demonize what was said, but also attempt to understand why it was said, how to educate those who said it on the realities, and move forward.

And this is coming from a bi person who has sat down with homophobic friends to discuss and not discuss these things.
How do you be friends with someone that is okay with Anti LGBT + White supremists? Fuck that.

MrBreada

Mar 13, 2018
Are you aware the director, who also got a personal award, is calling people like Boogie his friend. You might want to reconsider your stance on God of War and it getting an award at this show. I feel with all the controversy around the show, Barlog has been overlooked.

I am going to have to separate the creator from the creation here. I haven't played God of War, but I know about JonTron. You know, I was very hurt by his controversial views, and I'm sure everyone else knows what he said, so I won't repeat them. However, his videos have genuinely made me cry laughing. I can't deny it. It's his videos that bring a smile to my face. I don't look up to the guy, but his videos are unequaled to me.

You can be angry at Ninja all you want because he is a creator and identifies much more so with his creation than JonTron does, considering JonTron is pretty much an actor and it's Ninja himself under no persona who is in all these videos.

However, with God of War specifically, you can't dismiss it and rally for its depreciation just because the director of the game is friends with Boogie. The director is one person, and not even the face of the game.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you be friends with someone that is okay with Anti LGBT + White supremists? Fuck that.

In my experience, it's literally ignorance that is the reason they believe in these things, and I would rather take the opportunity that my own experience gives me a platform on to educate them and show them that their beliefs are not grounded in reality than abandon them and change nothing.

A great example of this is Daryl Davis

Daryl Davis is a blues musician, but he also has what some might call an interesting hobby. For the past 30 years, Davis, a black man, has spent time befriending members of the Ku Klux Klan.

He says once the friendship blossoms, the Klansmen realize that their hate may be misguided. Since Davis started talking with these members, he says 200 Klansmen have given up their robes. When that happens, Davis collects the robes and keeps them in his home as a reminder of the dent he has made in racism by simply sitting down and having dinner with people.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
In my experience, it's literally ignorance that is the reason they believe in these things, and I would rather take the opportunity that my own experience gives me a platform on to educate them and show them that their beliefs are not grounded in reality than abandon them and change nothing.

But Cory isn't friends with Boogie to change his mind, he is friends with him because he enjoys who Boogie is, which is a bigot, or an enabler of bigots.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But Cory isn't friends with Boogie to change his mind, he is friends with him because he enjoys who Boogie is, which is a bigot, or an enabler of bigots.

How do we know that he hasn't planted a seed and isn't currently nourishing it? You have zero idea their friendship or what level its on, and neither do I.

Era has this idea that being a bigot towards the bigots solves bigotry, when really it's education.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

How many times have people genuinely tried to get through to Boogie to no avail? He genuinely doesn't want to change. It's not ignorance in his case. Stop making excuses for him.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Bullshit, it isn't ignorance, it's just hatred. They know minorities would like to be treated with kindness and respect.
Oh Christ here we go
This isn't ten degrees of separation, this is someone who is known to engage in discrimination (among other things like dropping the N word) to this very day. He's made it clear, he's admitted to it. No, a reasonable person is not going to stand by someone like that, a reasonable person does not want that kind of shit in their life, or to be given a platform.
Era has this idea that being a bigot towards the bigots solves bigotry, when really it's education.
This just reads as "you should tolerate intolerance".

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Sure to a certain extent. I'd say there comes a point, where distancing one self comes the right choice. Not just by the person's own morals, but when you're a public figure like Barlog and people look up to you. Do you publicly send hearts to someone like Boogie, it's easily taken as an endorsement.
I am going to have to separate the creator from the creation here. I haven't played God of War, but I know about JonTron. You know, I was very hurt by his controversial views, and I'm sure everyone else knows what he said, so I won't repeat them. However, his videos have genuinely made me cry laughing. I can't deny it. It's his videos that bring a smile to my face. I don't look up to the guy, but his videos are unequaled to me.

You can be angry at Ninja all you want because he is a creator and identifies much more so with his creation than JonTron does, considering JonTron is pretty much an actor and it's Ninja himself under no persona who is in all these videos.

However, with God of War specifically, you can't dismiss it and rally for its depreciation just because the director of the game is friends with Boogie. The director is one person, and not even the face of the game.
Sure I agree about being part of a team, but he also got a personal award at the show for game direction.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many times have people genuinely tried to get through to Boogie to no avail? He genuinely doesn't want to change. It's not ignorance in his case. Stop making excuses for him.

No, it IS ignorance in his case. It's the reason he says that wack shit. Ignorance of situations, of people, of culture, it all stems from him not knowing.

Does his ignorance excuse his impact? Nope. Never said that.

Denying that it isn't ignorance is ignorant. What other root reason would it be? Do you think he's educated when he says wack shit?

I don't.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I guess my question is whether or not that outweighs the good he has done?
That isn't the only example, and going back to talking these "reformed" people showed they like Davis but haven't changed their views on black people as a whole. So the debate is if he did any good at all or just made new friends

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
How do we know that he hasn't planted a seed and isn't currently nourishing it? You have zero idea their friendship or what level its on, and neither do I.

I do fully agree with trying to change someone. I would encourage that 100%. But I don't know if Barlog or Keighley has taken this task regarding Boogie, I unfortunately doubt that. And I wouldn't take that much of an issue if it was strictly a business relationship, since they all work in gaming each at their own fields. But being publicly all buddy-buddy is bit much. Even if they were just trying to be nice.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do fully agree with trying to change someone. I would encourage that 100%. But I don't know if Barlog or Keighley has taken this task regarding Boogie, I unfortunately doubt that.

I don't think we'll ever know unless there is a fallout.

What boogie says isn't okay, and I know he says it because he's fuckin stupid. I think the best way to stop him from saying stupid shit is to educate him on why it's stupid.

Same would apply to me if anyone on this thread disagrees with me. Educate me as to why.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-c...-the-black-man-befriending-members-of-the-kkk There's more in this link, like how he took a friendship certificate from the Klan Hobbes

And then there's the case of Frank Ancona.

The "Accidental Courtesy" documentary opens and closes with Ancona, who was the imperial wizard of the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan at the time. Davis is shown embracing Ancona and straightening his hood for him—the hood that Ancona claims represents the "head of a dove." "I consider him to be a very good friend of mine," Davis says in the film.

Ancona's group was known for its thuggish threats. Most remarkable were the pamphlets it handed out in Ferguson, Missouri, after police there killed a black man, Michael Brown, in 2014. The pamphlets threatened to use "lethal force" against protesters.

At one point in the documentary, Ancona, an avowed enemy of "race-mixing," presents a "Certificate of Friendship" to Davis "in recognition of his friendship and contributions to the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan and demonstrating true friendship." Davis comments that he thinks Ancona will one day leave the Klan. Instead, as the film notes in its postscript, Ancona was murdered in 2017, two days before it aired on PBS. His wife and stepson were charged with his death.

Marauder85

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Auckland, NZ
User Banned (Permanent): Defending Discrimination, History of Severe Infractions
Wives get jealous and are allowed to be annoyed if their husbands get too close to other women. His reasoning here is perfectly fair. He may be horrible in other ways but in this instance he has done nothing wrong.

Not all discrimination is bad. Otherwise I could call you a bad person for not wanting to sleep with any person who asks. At some level you are discriminating against them and that is fair. Unfair and unreasonable discrimination is the problem.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-c...-the-black-man-befriending-members-of-the-kkk There's more in this link, like how he took a friendship certificate from the Klan Hobbes

I think the key sentiment is that Davis took it with the expectation that Ancona would leave.

Instead Ancona gets killed.

And like Slayven brought up, how much of his reformed friends are actually reformed. I still think regardless that educating people is the way to go about changing them.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, he knows. He's openly talked about how people see him as what he is, he doesn't give a shit.

I must be explaining my position in a weird way.

Yes, Boogie is confident in his beliefs and his research. He knows what he says.

What I am saying is that his beliefs and his research is rooted in ignorance, which is why when he says wack shit, you're like "holy fuck this dude is dumb"

That's my point. He's dumb because he doesn't understand the reality.

His perception =/= the reality

I'm not arguing whether or not he knows what he's saying, I'm saying he doesn't know that what he believes in is rooted in ignorance.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Wives get jealous and are allowed to be annoyed if their husbands get too close to other women. His reasoning here is perfectly fair. He may be horrible in other ways but in this instance he has done nothing wrong.

Not all discrimination is bad. Otherwise I could call you a bad person for not wanting to sleep with any person who asks. At some level you are discriminating against them and that is fair. Unfair and unreasonable discrimination is the problem.
First of all, this has been debunked already, and no, irrational fears are not a justification for discrimination.

Don't go down the road of "not all discrimination is bad".

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even Polygon seems relatively hesitant to rake Ninja over the coals about it.

Does his attempt to protect his wife and his relationship go further than is really necessary? Probably, but people are willing to give a little leeway to someone that is trying to navigate a community as toxic and unforgiving as Twitch, all the while dealing with newfound celebrity status and wealth.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

It's not about his wife getting jealous and his wife hasn't forbidden him from streaming with women.

Last edited:

Marauder85

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Auckland, NZ
First of all, this has been debunked already, and no, irrational fears are not a justification for discrimination.

Don't go down the road of "not all discrimination is bad".

I don't know the details of the case but I was just arguing with the general point. My wife doesn't like me getting close with female colleagues or having close female friends so I don't do it. In that sense I am discriminating but I have a justification.

You aren't friends with every type of person or sleeping with everyone who asks. You are discriminating daily. Sorry if you don't like that fact.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I must be explaining my position in a weird way.

Yes, Boogie is confident in his beliefs and his research. He knows what he says.

What I am saying is that his beliefs and his research is rooted in ignorance, which is why when he says wack shit, you're like "holy fuck this dude is dumb"

That's my point. He's dumb because he doesn't understand the reality.

His perception =/= the reality

I'm not arguing whether or not he knows what he's saying, I'm saying he doesn't know that what he believes in is rooted in ignorance.
So your answer is to just keep talking to him in the hopes that he changes, all while he is being shitty and putting his shitty views out there to his huge audience, further giving him more insulation because people will jump at the chance to defend him? That's a better answer than making him feel real consequences for what he says and being forced to change because he is ostracized for being shit? To me, it seems like your philosophy cares more about the person who is "ignorant" than the victims of the ignorance.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

While I'm not a fan of the mob mentality that generally results from the demonization of people not because I don't think some people don't deserve it but because it feels a lot of people stop being critical thinkers and just join the flow. Stuff like the James Gunn situation has made me really question if people do actually spend the time to wrestle with their morality to come to their conclusions.

That said I think the very easy reading on where it comes from is from people that lived through experiences where the measured, reasonable way, the belief of being able to reform people with arguments just flatout doesn't work and instead backfires in insane frustration and resignation. As the Davis example illustrates there is a real question about the actual virtue of spending so much time in reaching people like that vs actually spending it on the people that suffer from the idiocy and ignorance from those people. Personally I can only cheer on people that can maintain their attitude to reform/educate and their optimism for change but there is a kind of stupid in the world that seems unsalvagable so I can't really begrudge certain massive hard on about ostracizing certain attitudes/opinions of people like boogie.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Even Polygon seems relatively hesitant to rake Ninja over the coals about it.

Does his attempt to protect his wife and his relationship go further than is really necessary? Probably, but people are willing to give a little leeway to someone that is trying to navigate a community as toxic and unforgiving as Twitch, all the while dealing with newfound celebrity status and wealth.
Yeah for me it's just really disappointing. And I wish he would be willing to take few to the chin, because women streamers have it way worse than him. And they should be included and promoted like male streamers are. Though any woman streaming with Ninja would also probably definitely get a boost in harassment and trolls, but I'd let the women decide themselves if they want to take that risk. I bet any woman who he would be streaming with would get the most and nastiest shit thrown at them, rather than at him or even his wife.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't know the details of the case but I was just arguing with the general point. My wife doesn't like me getting close with female colleagues or having close female friends so I don't do it. In that sense I am discriminating but I have a justification.

You aren't friends with every type of person or sleeping with everyone who asks. You are discriminating daily. Sorry if you don't like that fact.
"A Mexican man was rude to me once, I just don't associate with Mexicans now, I have a justification".

And no, I'm not discriminating daily. You don't know shit about me.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
So your answer is to just keep talking to him in the hopes that he changes, all while he is being shitty and putting his shitty views out there to his huge audience, further giving him more insulation because people will jump at the chance to defend him? That's a better answer than making him feel real consequences for what he says and being forced to change because he is ostracized for being shit? To me, it seems like your philosophy cares more about the person who is "ignorant" than the victims of the ignorance.
Par for the course really.