• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Not saying you're wrong because it is true that the gaming community as a whole is toxic, just look in this very thread.

Someone posted a tweet of a female streamer defending Ninja earlier in this thread and right away her view was tossed aside as a "Oh my black friend says I'm not racist".

Doesn't matter if it was one or 50 women, the outcome will be the same as what we saw with hers because people refuse to budge from their stances.

That woman could have just as easily been a user posting here and received the same treatment.
psychowave is a woman, you could have maybe clicked on her profile before talking down on how women are treated here.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
my god, this thread is infuriating
no wonder there's barely any women on this forum
There's quite a few of us, actually. What the men here don't understand is their constant dismissal of women's feeling in these threads discourages any of them from posting their thoughts. Why bother? It's like talking to a wall.
Not saying you're wrong because it is true that the gaming community as a whole is toxic, just look in this very thread.

Someone posted a tweet of a female streamer defending Ninja earlier in this thread and right away her view was tossed aside as a "Oh my black friend says I'm not racist".

Doesn't matter if it was one or 50 women, the outcome will be the same as what we saw with hers because people refuse to budge from their stances.

That woman could have just as easily been a user posting here and received the same treatment.
If this thread was a discussion between women, that would be something else. Obviously, all women don't agree. What's happening here though, is male posters clinging to anything that makes it so they don't have the acknowledge the women posting here's feelings. Do you like it when someone tells you "well so-and-so over there said it's okay, so there, end-of-argument"?

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
Or- it could be that its a board full of dudes trying to decide for them, what is/isnt misogyny without any nuance, shades of difference, or regard for letting females have a voice in the matter. 🤔
................................................ i'm a woman and i think ninja is a misogynist. please mansplain more 🤔

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
It's just the renamed "Trending Gamer" award, so it's par for the course.

Of course it was going to go to the green haired Mike Pence.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
His wife didn't ask him to do it.

There we go. Just for the next 10 posters who blame the actions of a man on his wife.
But you're also writing off her feelings on the matter as well.

Blaming her is one thing. Considering how it might make her feel is another.

Are none of you folks fucking MARRIED?! Its not that goddamn complicated.

Example, years ago, I went to lunch with a lady co-worker because I had been awarded it through job performance, but she had a hand in helping me with it. I thought it fair to share the earnings. When I told my wife abiut it, she was pretty distressed about it. So now, I make it a point to either not do it at all, or discuss it with her prior.

This shit isnt binary, y'all.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
We're talking about the same awards show that invited Boogie after his "the nazis had some right ideas" and "LBGT would have less pushback if they waited 5-10 more years for marriage to be legalized instead of forcing it" BS.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
psychowave is a woman, you could have maybe clicked on her profile before talking down on how women are treated here.

You're right, I could have but it doesn't change my point.

The point I'm making is that opposing opinions get tossed aside because people don't budge from their stances. It isn't just a woman thing, it branches off to other topics across the forum as well.

It's clear a large portion of people do not make this out to be as big of a deal as many in this thread.

In hindsight I clearly not only could have worded it better but going forward I should make more of an effort to maybe check user status.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Ya I dont get it. I have a very strong relationship with my Wife based on God, faith and trust. We instruct our children to respect and trust everyone as the Bible teaches. He is clearly lacking some trust with his wife and it DOESNT warrant shutting out Women from gaming with him IMO.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
As someone who is about to get married, if ninja consides that not streaming with woman is the best for his marriage, I got to accept his decision and admire that he preferred his marriage to the bad press this decision brings to his career.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So now the people who don't stan for blatant sexism are silencing women? Is that your stance? These flaccid defenses are becoming more and more deranged.
Read below 👇
................................................ i'm a woman and i think ninja is a misogynist. please mansplain more 🤔

In your rebuttal, you refute my point, and then enhance it by callin me a mansplainer. Which is it?

How about this, I'll let PaperSparrow's post above literally say what I just said.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ

Example, years ago, I went to lunch with a lady co-worker because I had been awarded it through job performance, but she had a hand in helping me with it. I thought it fair to share the earnings. When I told my wife abiut it, she was pretty distressed about it. So now, I make it a point to either not do it at all, or discuss it with her prior.

i'm married
and we're fucking grownups, so no, it would not be issue if i had to , *gasp*, work with a woman that was not my wife

the dude isn't going out to dinner with anyone. he's playing videogames live on the internet with millions of people watching

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't fully understand why his reasoning is considered sexist.

By saying "I don't like to stream with female streamers because my fanbase starts talking bullshit like we have chemistry or I should cheat with said female streamer" he is saying "My fanbase is stupid and I don't want to deal with the rumours about my personal life". Or am I misunderstanding something... He's not like "female streamers are beneath me".

Like, I think his reasoning IS STUPID but not really misogynistic.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing discrimination and sexism.
That's a really low bar if that's called discrimination.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you can say that when he openly discriminates against women. He is normalizing chauvinistic behavior. You can't discriminate against all women and be a good role model.
He's doing the wrong thing for the right reasons, I hope he realizes this and changes his mind, but it's not all there is to him and it doesn't erease all the good things he does, too.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
You're right, I could have but it doesn't change my point.

The point I'm making is that opposing opinions get tossed aside because people don't budge from their stances. It isn't just a woman thing, it branches off to other topics across the forum as well.

It's clear a large portion of people do not make this out to be as big of a deal as many in this thread.

In hindsight I clearly not only could have worded it better but going forward I should make more of an effort to maybe check user status.
ANd another reason I find myself commenting fewer and fewer as time goes on - a large portion of people don't see at as a big deal (men) therefore we will ignore the actual women in the thread. This happens again and again. Of course you don't see it as a big deal, it doesn't affect you, maybe you should sit down and actually listen to the women in the forum??? It is a woman's thing cus I've seen it happen again and again to women in the forum and I'm not even the only one bringing it up in this thread, never mind the rest of the forum.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always just read between the lines on his statement -- his wife gets jealous, and it creates more headaches in his life/relationship than it is worth. It's a dumb and immature way to handle being with someone that is insecure, but at some point people that have to deal with that will just take the path of least resistance.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I always just read between the lines on his statement -- his wife gets jealous, and it creates more headaches in his life/relationship than it is worth.
i dont need anyone to point out that this isnt an exact 1 to 1 comparison, but i'm still making my point:

if it were the 60s and he refused to work with a black man because it wasn't worth the headache, would you defend that decision?

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i'm married
and we're fucking grownups, so no, it would not be issue if i had to , *gasp*, work with a woman that was not my wife

the dude isn't going out to dinner with anyone. he's playing videogames live on the internet with millions of people watching
Marriages arent the same. People arent the same. Again, this whole argument is forgoing ALL of this nuance in favor of deciding that it IS or ISNT in a binary manner. Thats not how any if this works. And you also act like theres not much difference between enjoying a video game session with a lady for up to 8 hours, and having an hour long dinner. You, me, and the internet dont get to decide that.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey look, another thread that Geoff Keighley can safely ignore, like all the other ones.

Well, except that one praising the VGAs. He was right quick posting on that one

And all the ones hyping it up. Can't forget those either.

But answering to legitimate concerns? Ain't nobody got time for that when there are bigots to pander to.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
Read below 👇

In your rebuttal, you refute my point, and then enhance it by callin me a mansplainer. Which is it?

How about this, I'll let PaperSparrow's post above literally say what I just said.
do you not realize what you're doing? i said that women don't use ERA because of the misogyny, then you said that ackshually it's because men tell women what they should be offended by, which is exactly what you were fucking doing

like, holy shit dude, get some self awareness maybe.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You think that is a low bar? He refuses to stream with other women based on their gender and their gender alone. How could that possibly be considered anything other than discrimination? What is wrong with your brain?
Well if you toss out literally EVERY OTHER FACTOR in the matter, (which youre doing) then I guess so. Id say forgetting any feelings or agency his wife has in the matter is more misogynist than his actions

do you not realize what you're doing? i said that women don't use ERA because of the misogyny, then you said that ackshually it's because men tell women what they should be offended by, which is exactly what you were fucking doing

like, holy shit dude, get some self awareness maybe.
Then you ignored the rest of my post, and then ignored that I referred you to anotger woman in the thread who literally echoed what I had said. So like, lets both agree on when the goalpost is going before you decide you wanna relocate it. 🤷‍♂️

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Well if you toss out literally EVERY OTHER FACTOR in the matter, (which youre doing) then I guess so. Id say forgetting any feelings or agency his wife has in the matter is more misogynist than his actions
why are we acting like "i dont work with women because my wife might get mad" is a valid argument, in any situation, ever? why are we even entertaining this as a valid thing. jesus christ

there's no need for nuance here. the dude isn't going to a woman's house to play games with her for 8 hours, for fun.
he's WORKING. its his job. not to mention he does it on a public stage, for everyone to see

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
Then you ignored the rest of my post, and then ignored that I referred you to anotger woman in the thread who literally echoed what I had said. So like, lets both agree on when the goalpost is going before you decide you wanna relocate it. 🤷‍♂️
men always love picking and choosing which women's voices they amplify. usually, it's the women who just so happen to agree with them. funny, that :^)

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
"How are these people even popular?"
Kids and teenagers.

@OP i completely agree. Ninja being nominated and winning an award for the "best content creator" is really tragic and problematic for this industry.

I mean, it's not even just Gaming, wasn't ninja prominently featured in the youtube rewind video?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
why are we acting like "i dont work with women because my wife might get mad" is a valid argument, in any situation, ever? why are we even entertaining this as a valid thing. jesus christ

there's no need for nuance here. the dude isn't going to a woman's house to play games with her for 8 hours, for fun.
he's WORKING. its his job. not to mention he does it on a public stage, for everyone to see

And it's a space with a huge "no girls allowed" problem that he is only exacerbating by pulling that shit

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Read below 👇

Please don't use my post as a bludgeon on another female poster. If men cared about what we had to say, their only posts in here would be encouraging the women of the forum to speak up, not assume how women as a whole feel on the subject. I understand that's what you are trying to say, but the way you are coming off seems like you are dismissing a woman here because of your assumptions on women's feelings, which is exactly what you said men here shouldn't do.
I really don't fully understand why his reasoning is considered sexist.

By saying "I don't like to stream with female streamers because my fanbase starts talking bullshit like we have chemistry or I should cheat with said female streamer" he is saying "My fanbase is stupid and I don't want to deal with the rumours about my personal life". Or am I misunderstanding something... He's not like "female streamers are beneath me".

Like, I think his reasoning IS STUPID but not really misogynistic.
Discrimination isn't always about hatred, it's about excluding people for something they have no control over, like being a woman.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
men always love picking and choosing which women's voices they amplify. usually, it's the women who just so happen to agree with them. funny, that :^)
I mean from the context of the post he's referring to, it sounds like PaperSparrow was actually refering to men like him ignoring women's voices, so I don't even know where he got that she agreed with him????

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apolgies I dont know who is and isnt a woman in this thread. So I went by literally the first post on that page that said "Im a woman" and thought "well darn, i just said that on the previous page".

Youre not being helpful here. Nor are you saying anything about her post. Why? Because you dont want to.

Please don't use my post as a bludgeon on another female poster. If men cared about what we had to say, their only posts in here would be encouraging the women of the forum to speak up, not assume how women as a whole feel on the subject. I understand that's what you are trying to say, but the way you are coming off seems like you are dismissing a woman here because of your assumptions on women's feelings, which is exactly what you said men here shouldn't do..
It goes to my original point though. My itention just to weaponize your post, but rather as an agreement to it. You echoed what I said indirectly so I simply said "See?"

scanferr

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): discrimination isn't irrelevant. Junior user with history of infractions.
It's irrelevant, imo.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
Apolgies I dont know who is and isnt a woman in this thread. So I went by literally the first post on that page that said "Im a woman" and thought "well darn, i just said that on the previous page".

Youre not being helpful here. Nor are you saying anything about her post. Why? Because you dont want to.
dude, YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM. you're one of those men picking and choosing what women should and shouldn't find misogynistic that you apparently think are so bad. you're literally the problem. stop using women's opinions as ammunition against other women. if you cared about what we have to say, you would shut up and listen, not say "see, see, this female over here agrees with me!!".
I mean from the context of the post he's referring to, it sounds like PaperSparrow was actually refering to men like him ignoring women's voices, so I don't even know where he got that she agreed with him????
also this lmao, i don't see her saying that ninja isn't a misogynist???? wtf where's the self-awareness

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When gender/sex really isn't the overriding reason for it, I think calling Ninja's choice here "discrimination" is mighty disingenuous.

There are actual bigots in the industry more worthy of this kind of attention.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

Right, which is the reason your answer to the issue wasn't "Alright, I'll make sure to never interact with a woman in a professional manner ever again". Which is exactly what Ninja did, on his own volition., because he doesn't want "rumors", as the biggest figurehead of this entire industry right now.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
ANd another reason I find myself commenting fewer and fewer as time goes on - a large portion of people don't see at as a big deal (men) therefore we will ignore the actual women in the thread. This happens again and again. Of course you don't see it as a big deal, it doesn't affect you, maybe you should sit down and actually listen to the women in the forum??? It is a woman's thing cus I've seen it happen again and again to women in the forum and I'm not even the only one bringing it up in this thread, never mind the rest of the forum.

You are aware the specific example I stated was a woman's view being ignored right?

I'm not disagreeing with you that gaming culture is toxic towards women.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/11/17675738/ninja-twitch-female-gamers

Here are his actual statements. I can't believe this thread got this far without 5 seconds of googleing. It's astounding how long people can argue over second hand impressions of a statement they've never actually read themselves.
if only we would listen to his reasons for discriminating against half the human population, then we'd understand
it literally does not matter what his reasons are

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
dude, YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM. you're one of those men picking and choosing what women should and shouldn't find misogynistic that you apparently think are so bad. you're literally the problem. stop using women's opinions as ammunition against other women. if you cared about what we have to say, you would shut up and listen, not say "see, see, this female over here agrees with me!!".

also this lmao, i don't see her saying that ninja isn't a misogynist???? wtf where's the self-awareness
Ok then fair enough- please tell me which voices to listen to. Ill sit right here and listen. 👨‍💻

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'I totally respect women.

Now let me talk over them while i pick this random 'fEmAlE poSt' i completely misread so i can use it to keep ignoring them.'

Some posters should just live up to their username.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure how to get through to Geoff, because let's be honest, Ninja is one of the biggest content creators in the world. It's bigger than Geoff and the Game Awards. I was randomly recommended a video by JonTron (ick) and I saw it had over 5 million views. What. The. Fuck. How are these people even popular? I wish Geoff would acknowledge the issues that his relationships with these people create. I sadly don't see it happening though.
Jontrons highest video has...35 million. They don't care, it's that simple, sadly.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Just throwing it out there but I mentioned it in the last thread that came up about this, because literally that same day he was streaming with a woman. Like multiple times I believe.

I think everyone ignored it.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
His argument is that men shouldn't assume women's feeling, which I agree with. I don't agree with using that argument against a female poster, especially to dismiss her feelings, which is exactly what my post was against.

Please stop using my post to attack psychowave. We can argue with each other if we disagree, which I don't believe we do.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen what it looks like when morons in Twitch chat immediately assume X must be dating Y because they appeared on a stream together, I watch a VRChat streamer who has outright set up a bot in his chat that constantly spams "this is just RP people, it's not real" but that doesn't stop people from seeking out literally any woman he plays with to threaten them with gross and hateful messages about how they're ruining their preferred ship. It's shameful stuff and I'm sure it would happen to women Ninja plays with.

At the same time, the guy I watch doesn't let that stop him. He does everything he can to curb the shitty behavior and continues to play with women anyway. So I understand Ninja's concerns (assuming he is being genuine about it and not just inventing an excuse to have a boy's club), but at the end of the day you can either let a bunch of random dorks in their mom's basement dictate who you get to play with or you can say "fuck you trolls" and live your life.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't whether he does it out of his own mysoginist views or..because his wife doesn't want him to stream with women.
One is reprehensible, the other is totally ok in my book, outside of me question what kind of marriage that is, but that's not the point anyway. Do we really know he made these statements out of the former motivation and not the latter?
Just throwing it out there but I mentioned it in the last thread that came up about this, because literally that same day he was streaming with a woman. Like multiple times I believe.

I think everyone ignored it.
Really? Huh.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
His argument is that men shouldn't assume women's feeling, which I agree with. I don't agree with using that argument against a female poster, especially to dismiss her feelings, which is exactly what my post was against.

Please stop using my post to attack psychowave. We can argue with each other if we disagree, which I don't believe we do.
If that was actually his arguement, he wouldn't continue to have a go at women and other posters in the thread for bringing up that men are talking over women in these forums. He just keeps using it to silence women, which is why I thought he was misconstrueing your post.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
free piece of advice: if your SO gets mad about you spending some time with other people, just run away.
'I totally respect women.

Now let me talk over them while i pick this random 'fEmAlE poSt' i completely misread so i can use it to keep ignoring them.'

Some posters should just live up to their username.
"this is why women don't like this website btw"
"um ackshually sweaty"