• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really care either way, but to me his choice just seems really stupid and weird. I don't think it's a sexist thing, but it comes across to me its as if he can't work with other women without giving into the temptation to become romantically involved with them.
In other jobs you can't just say, I don't wanna work with women for this reason, and really it doesn't seem a healthy option to resort to.
The other stupid thing about this, he doesn't void men streamers. It is possible he could be romantically involved with another man.
It just seems an immature action really, sounds like a sledgehammer solution to a relatively small problem.
Who cares if there's rumours, you'd need more evidence than just "he worked with x person" to be credible, and from this action anyway, rumours are going about that he's sexist, He can't really avoid them anyway.
That's if I believe what he says is the reason for it anyway. His wife being very suspicious and jealous isn't so unbelievable to consider, And if he's doing this because of his wife, again doesn't seem healthy your partner doesn't trust you and vice versa.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
this is some hard mental gymnastics there bro.
He is not avoiding it cause "I dont want people to know im a asshole" he is avoiding cause "I would rather not give people room to create rumors".

how is that many people here still driven to the conclusion that he is avoiding pairing with girl streamer cause he hate em or something in those lines?

You're misunderstanding. I'm not saying he would avoid non-white people because he hates them, he would avoid them because he doesn't want to give the racists in his community any fodder do feed on. That is the point me and others are making you and others seem to misunderstand: It doesn't matter why you actively engage in and perpetuate racist/sexist or otherwise non-inclusive practices. If you do it because you hate women or if you do it because you have the mind of a 15-year-old who is afraid of other 14-year-olds on the internet thinking you have an affair with Random Streamer 9000. The result is exactly the same for the people affected: They will not be part of his streams, they are categorically denied not because of their merit but simply because of their gender. This is exactly, 100% how and why industries like the video game industry get so non-diverse and male-dominated. Because of people only wanting to work who are their race/gender/whatever else, not because they hate these people (but obviously, there's that, too), but because of personal reasons X, Y , Z.

Zero reading comprehension. I literally didn't say any of that. I didn't say it was her decision, I didn't say she is crazy/would have to be crazy for feeling that way, and I never called Ninja "poor man" or felt sorry for him.

"I know it is just online, but his wife could still start to see it as a problem and/or get jealous."

Last edited:

Christopher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yet again: I want you guys to imagine a scenario where Ninja openly states that he will not talk to black people, latinos or anyone but white men on his streams because he doesn't want to deal with the casual racism in his chat. Would you be OK with that?

Wouldn't a more accurate scenario would be to imagine a scenario where a woman openly states that she will not talk to men on her streams for fear of sexism in chat?

Oct 26, 2017
I've had female commilitones who refused to study with a guy for a test, if no other women were present... even in a public place like a library, because their boyfriend wouldn't be ok with it.

You can think about that what you want, but connecting that with her being sexist is pretty stuid in my opinion.

I would suggest that in that situation the boyfriend is jealous and controlling and that the relationship sounds emotionally unhealthy. In both the case you're referring to and the reasons Ninja gives for not working with women, you shouldn't blanket cut out interactions with another gender because someone else might freak out. That just allows the actual sexists to win.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The most insane thing about this is people call it discrimination as if the streamers he isn't streaming with are employees, or customers, but they're neither. He's not paying them, or being paid by them, or anything like that.

It would be one thing if he refused to Hire women, another if he refused to produce content for women (As odd as that would be in this context...) but neither of these are the case. In fact, I bet there are plenty of streamers of both genders that choose not to do this, either for similar or other reasons, but they aren't under a microscope because they're not the "Number 1 streamer" or somesuch.

He is a business, he is paid for appearances, paid to stream, and it wouldn't be out of the ordinary if a streamer figured out compensation for a co-stream.

And prominent streamers usually have an agent or other staff to take care of bookings, payables and other tasks.

Just saying, this isn't a hobby for him.

wut? I never said that.

also different matter (orange and apples) . actors dont have the leisure to chose who they act with. Steramers (specially someone the size of Ninja) can pick up who he wants to do collars with or not

Oops, sorry for misreading.

Some actors have and can definitely have a say in the rest of the casting choices though.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I would suggest that in that situation the boyfriend is jealous and controlling and that the relationship sounds emotionally unhealthy. In both the case you're referring to and the reasons Ninja gives for not working with women, you shouldn't blanket cut out interactions with another gender because someone else might freak out. That just allows the actual sexists to win.
I had that discussion with of the two cases and she felt the need to be tolerant towards her boyfriend's feelings because he and his family are somewhat conservative muslims... and that's where I stopped.

Edit: I agree on the unhealthy relationship and that they should educate their partners, but it's not "sexism" in my book.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Hmmm. If the sole reason is because they are women thats a bit much. If his wife actually feels uncomfortable and it can have an impact on his marriage. Then get say what you want that takes precedent. Wife over everything....

Honestly if I was as big as Ninja I wouldn't just stream with anyone outside of celebrities and a small collective of streamers I actually have relationships with. Both male and female.

I'd be super selective and curate my streams. I'm not about cost tail riders and I'm not gonna co-sign someome just because.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
He is a business, he is paid for appearances, paid to stream, and it wouldn't be out of the ordinary if a streamer figured out compensation for a co-stream.

And prominent streamers usually have an agent or other staff to take care of bookings, payables and other tasks.

Just saying, this isn't a hobby for him.
Oh, he is a business, but I'm saying in his business, the people he streams with are neither employees nor customers in the business he's making. He's not paying the streamers to come on with him (At least, as far as I know.)

Now that I think about it, maybe the best analogy would be litigating discrimination in unpaid internships, which may very well exist, I have no idea.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. If the sole reason is because they are women thats a bit much. If his wife actually feels uncomfortable and it can have an impact on his marriage. Then get say what you want that takes precedent. Wife over everything....

Honestly if I was as big as Ninja I wouldn't just stream with anyone outside of celebrities and a small collective of streamers I actually have relationships with. Both male and female.

I'd be super selective and curate my streams. I'm not about cost tail riders and I'm not gonna co-sign someome just because.

He has specifically said his wife had nothing to do with the decision. That he made it completely on his own.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nobody is saying he's required to, and you know that. What a few of us are saying is that his reasons for refusing to are bullshit, reinforces an already hostile environment for women in gaming communities, normalises that shit for his audience (which is largely children) and that in a time where women are being increasingly targeted by fuckwits within our hobby telling them that they're pretty much just an inconvenience he doesn't need and then celebrating him with industry rewards despite that is kind of shitty.
I may be wrong here but wasn't his reasoning for not playing that the chat is extremely hateful/sexist towards them when he does have woman on the stream? Seems like a valid reason to not have them. It's not like you can effectively moderate Twitch/Youtube chat to avoid that.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
They are. Streaming is his job. Just because he's self employed, doesn't change much. It's like an actor refusing scripts that have women in it. It's a terrible sexist attitude made worse because he has millions of people looking up to him
I don't agree with him not streaming with women but these things aren't really equitable. Streamers can do it well on their own and occasionally colab with others. Good luck finding a successful one man show that sustains a career to the extent Ninja is with his streaming. That's just not how that industry functions at a foundational level.

Your overall point stands but there really isn't a viable career comparison to this situation imo.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly y'all are missing the forest for the trees and the repeated insistence on glaring at the tree is frustrating as all get out to see over and over again

The big picture is that women are repeatedly discriminated against in every level of the video games industry. You're the one focusing on a single tree saying it's not really a big deal, but in actuality it's just one of many in a rotten forest. He may only have contributed one tree to that forest, but the point remains that he contributed.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
He has specifically said his wife had nothing to do with the decision. That he made it completely on his own.

Then damn dog. It sounded like his jobbed leaked into his personal life and threatened his marriage.

If thats not the case then dang. To be honest anyone he would stream with would benefit more than he would. Maybe he's selfish too.

Jerkish mindset but thats how id look at it. I'm a pretty transactional person. How can this benefit both of us. If theres no benefit I'd keep it moving.

With that said I'd just pick a top female streamer and just do a cool stream man.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the guy has marriage problems, he and his wife should work through them in normal, healthy ways. Dude is rich as fuck, he can get the best counseling on the planet. Or maybe is wife really is too jealous for their marriage to work out. Or maybe he really can't keep it in his pants when he's around other women, and his wife's fears are justified. Regardless, that's their problem, not every other woman's.
Well just so you know, I'm a casual twitch streamer and I actually believed that myth and pokimane were dating. Like that stuff was so prevalent on the internet that you had to believe it, from twitch streamers talking about it, to twitter and even YouTube. You probably heard about that stuff too, the kids that watch them probably spread lies and the internet runs with it.

So if that's not good enough proof, I just don't know.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
What if it was his wife that explicitly told him she doesn't like him streaming with female gamers? It's not really sexism on his part if that is the case.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem with this way of seeing things is that it's too limited. But it's pretty common on resetera, you read a thread title one day, engage in it, and you make the mistake of thinking that this particular issue defines the subject in the eyes of everybody. It reminds me of "Pepe being an alt right symbol" issue. People on this forum just wouldn't budge in thinking that frog was highly problematic and shouldn't be used because their only exposure to it was through articles defining it during a very specific point in time (the US election). Ignoring that nearly every fandoms, every website are using them, from the deepest shithole to the most progressive people, and that it had long been reappropriated by everyone. But to a lot of resetera, it was still a very simple issue, Pepe is racist because of those two months they heard about it two years ago.

Ninja is a similar matter. For a lot of people here, Ninja is the guy that won't work with women, and sang the n-word in a rap song that one time. This is what defines him. And everytime he's mentioned on resetera, we always come back to this as the default. But you have to understand that 99% of people have a very different view of the guy. As controversial and stupid that particular issue is, the truth is that it barely defines him. Ninja is the guy that blew up like no gamer ever did, went on the mainstream, huge american talk shows with positivity and healthy message to kids everywhere. He's well spoken, charming, and doesn't scare parents away. Even is his ridiculous fame he stays humble. For a lot of people, this is what defines him. For others, it's the daily kid friendly streams that entertain hundreds of thousands of people, for others it's his charity work. As controversial as some of his decision has been, for a lot of people his public persona, his way of presenting himself and his work largely tip the scale towards a net positive against that one headline that was spread this one time.

I'm not saying resetera should forgive him for not wanting to play with women. If you think this is stupid, harmful, or a dealbreaker, I think it's valid. Myproblem, which is typical with this website, is that sometimes one issue can completely take over any discussion to the point we might refuse to even acknowledge the big picture. The Ninja big picture is so much bigger than this issue that to always bringing it back to this no matter what he does is akin to putting your head in the sand or living in a bubble. It's refusing to understand the whole situation. We are stuck on this issue while the whole world moved on.

Great post.

Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of Ninja myself, my coverage to him outside of this forum, TV and Awards shows etc, is my nieces, nephews, family etc watching his streams. Seeing him in streams when they're watching, I've never seen the monster he's often made out to be because of his handful of admittedly stupid ideals or mistakes. He generally seems very positive, calm, collected and polite, which is a far cry from many YouTubers I see these days who are often ridiculously over eccentric and theatrical, constantly shout obscenities and all sorts, so I've never really stopped the kids in my family from watching his stuff, or ever stated any of the negatives etc. Hell, they're not even aware of them.

At the end of the day, this is a kid who has probably streamed tens of thousands of hours of his life, if singing the N word in a rap song and his dumb protectionism comment regarding women with streaming is the absolute worst he's done, given all the other positives, promoting health, positivity etc, he's probably not the monster some make out or insist. Hell, if I were to have ever streamed that much of my gaming or personal life, I can almost guarantee I'd have said at least one stupid or offensive thing, and I'm extremely liberal and generally mindful of these types of things. We're only human at the end of the day.

Last edited:

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hasn't he stated its because he doesn't want people to spread rumors about him and the person he's playing with? It sounds like that thing Pence has with his wife, where he'll only be with another woman alone with her.
It's a silly reason, but I don't think the dude's terrible.
This is where I am. He said a stupid thing, but I dont see his intentions to be sinister. Didnt he apologize for it as well? The whole thing was blown up bigger than it needed to be, honestly. There is true hatred and intolerance in this industry. Genuine hatred and intolerance. Ninja aint it IMO.

Detroit Become Human was nominated for how many awards? And the culture around that studio is toxic and uncomfortable. Yet I didnt hear a peep about that leading up to the show.

Im not some Ninja fan. I cant for the life of me, understand how he's popular. Its baffling. But im not sure him being the target in an industry of genuine hate, will help much.

And I think Geoff keeping him on, is him basically saying that.

What if it was his wife that explicitly told him she doesn't like him streaming with female gamers? It's not really sexism on his part if that is the case.
Also that. My wife is very jealous. If she has wishes that I dont participate in certain things because of her jealousy, Im going to respect that to a logical degree. Hell, I cant get a new friend request on Facebook from a woman without facing questioning on it lol.

This whole thing is not as simple as some would have it be.

The problem with this way of seeing things is that it's too limited. But it's pretty common on resetera, you read a thread title one day, engage in it, and you make the mistake of thinking that this particular issue defines the subject in the eyes of everybody. It reminds me of "Pepe being an alt right symbol" issue. People on this forum just wouldn't budge in thinking that frog was highly problematic and shouldn't be used because their only exposure to it was through articles defining it during a very specific point in time (the US election). Ignoring that nearly every fandoms, every website are using them, from the deepest shithole to the most progressive people, and that it had long been reappropriated by everyone. But to a lot of resetera, it was still a very simple issue, Pepe is racist because of those two months they heard about it two years ago.

Ninja is a similar matter. For a lot of people here, Ninja is the guy that won't work with women, and sang the n-word in a rap song that one time. This is what defines him. And everytime he's mentioned on resetera, we always come back to this as the default. But you have to understand that 99% of people have a very different view of the guy. As controversial and stupid that particular issue is, the truth is that it barely defines him. Ninja is the guy that blew up like no gamer ever did, went on the mainstream, huge american talk shows with positivity and healthy message to kids everywhere. He's well spoken, charming, and doesn't scare parents away. Even is his ridiculous fame he stays humble. For a lot of people, this is what defines him. For others, it's the daily kid friendly streams that entertain hundreds of thousands of people, for others it's his charity work. As controversial as some of his decision has been, for a lot of people his public persona, his way of presenting himself and his work largely tip the scale towards a net positive against that one headline that was spread this one time.

I'm not saying resetera should forgive him for not wanting to play with women. If you think this is stupid, harmful, or a dealbreaker, I think it's valid. Myproblem, which is typical with this website, is that sometimes one issue can completely take over any discussion to the point we might refuse to even acknowledge the big picture. The Ninja big picture is so much bigger than this issue that to always bringing it back to this no matter what he does is akin to putting your head in the sand or living in a bubble. It's refusing to understand the whole situation. We are stuck on this issue while the whole world moved on.
Damn, you said it way better than I could

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
How hard is it to understand that reasoning does matter. Yes he's being discriminatory, but it's not like he's out there killing women or taking their jobs. He's simply not playing games with them on stream because it could potentially jeopardize his marriage.
Yeah and it's perfectly understandable, nobody here knows his family situation or has the right to know so that explanation is enough for me, keeping a marriage afloat is hard enough without millions of people chiming in with their two cents.

Oct 26, 2017
Well just so you know, I'm a casual twitch streamer and I actually believed that myth and pokimane were dating. Like that stuff was so prevalent on the internet that you had to believe it, from twitch streamers talking about it, to twitter and even YouTube. You probably heard about that stuff too, the kids that watch them probably spread lies and the internet runs with it.

So if that's not good enough proof, I just don't know.

That's on the morons who pushed those rumours, and those rumours exist in every office, every police station, every film set, every school. They're on the front cover of every piece of shit gossip mag. You don't just blanket refuse to work with [group of people] because someone is inevitably going to be a shitheel about it. You call it what it is, bullshit, and continue treating [group of people] as actual people, not a fucking inconvenience.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, but I have to laugh at the implication of this being a video game industry only thing. Take films. While these are specifically cases of discrimination

Roman Polaski received an award and standing ovation despite being a child rapist

Mel Gibson has since been nominated for awards after being a known anti-Semitic

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Inflammatory Drive By Post.
I've never played/watched Fortnite/Ninja, but everytime I see ninja's "sexism" being mentioned and that quote used as "evidence", I'm reminded of how many people only read clickbait headlines and like to shit on people after taking things out of context.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
That's on the morons who pushed those rumours, and those rumours exist in every office, every police station, every film set, every school. They're on the front cover of every piece of shit gossip mag. You don't just blanket refuse to work with [group of people] because someone is inevitably going to be a shitheel about it. You call it what it is, bullshit, and continue treating [group of people] as actual people, not a fucking inconvenience.
Guess what streamer was one of those morons? If Ninja was actually worried about the impact of those kind of rumours on himself and others, he wouldn't do it to other people.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
He should really re-evaluate his position on playing with women, but overall he's a great role model and one of the most positive influences in gaming.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja is a misogynistic and should have been banned for his disgusting views on women. Instead he's lauded over like a God. I for sure would never let my kids watch his streams. Ever. I would never let my kids watch most streamers as unless they're highly vetted they all have problematic views and say problematic stuff.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
You're misunderstanding. I'm not saying he would avoid non-white people because he hates them, he would avoid them because he doesn't want to give the racists in his community any fodder do feed on. That is the point me and others are making you and others seem to misunderstand: It doesn't matter why you actively engage in and perpetuate racist/sexist or otherwise non-inclusive practices. If you do it because you hate women or if you do it because you have the mind of a 15-year-old who is afraid of other 14-year-olds on the internet thinking you have an affair with Random Streamer 9000. The result is exactly the same for the people affected: They will not be part of his streams, they are categorically denied not because of their merit but simply because of their gender. This is exactly, 100% how and why industries like the video game industry get so non-diverse and male-dominated. Because of people only wanting to work who are their race/gender/whatever else, not because they hate these people (but obviously, there's that, too), but because of personal reasons X, Y , Z.

"I know it is just online, but his wife could still start to see it as a problem and/or get jealous."
issue is, this is not about him only, this is about him and likely any trouble with his wife.
Ok, lets work an scenario. he goes into an stream with whatever girl streamer is popular. they play, they there is shit and giggles etc etc etc. (no idea what do people do on stream I dont watch stream really).
happening 1) nothing happens and everyone moves on
happening 2) there start to circle around rumors about him and her, rumors intensify the more collabs he does or whatever
happening 2.1) his wife knows and trusts him
happening 2.2) Drama

the chances of things going south can be 1 in XXXXX but the fact that that 1 exist for him is reason enough to try his best to avoid the flames rather than dealing with a fire.

Some actors have and can definitely have a say in the rest of the casting choices though.
some actors can be "divas" but at the end of the day they to do what they are told cause contracts. Rock and Vin had a feud during the last FnF movie so bad they could not be on the same stage together. they could not demand the other to quit. they still had to make their scenes (and post production worked some magic to make it looks like they filmed together)

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
There is a very real and serious problem with acceptance and diversity in the "gaming" culture. At almost the very top, if not the very top, sits Ninja and Fortnite. Both entities have a chance to take a stand agains the bigots, racist, misogynistic, hate mongering people within said culture and ignite change through their unquestionable reach. Neither one seem too interested in doing anything of the sort as far as I can tell.

There was a thread on here a bit ago about Nazi's using video games to recruit members, something nobody should be excited about or in favor of. If anything, the industry as a whole should grind to a fucking halt until something is done about it. Meanwhile, Ninja has decided to not stream with women because of his "fanbase". The same fan base that will undoubtedly leave him when something newer/fresher comes along. This jealousy thing is such a bullshit excuse and I can't believe people actually believe it. He is a grown ass man, if he can't handle a couple of rumors then he needs to take some time for himself because not streaming with women will not fix whatever insecurities he has to deal with.

Despite becoming the biggest "gaming" celebrity there is, he has yet to deal with the very real and dangerous people within the community itself.

When he does, then he can get an award.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017

Yes...

Again, I'm not saying she decided this for him, or that she would be crazy to think this way. I'm saying that might have been part of his decision. Spending that much time playing games with anyone is probably hard on their relationship, even without introducing other women into the mix. I don't understand how that is a sexist line of thinking -- I would also understand it with a gay couple, or a female streamer not playing with guys for the same reasons

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
issue is, this is not about him only, this is about him and likely any trouble with his wife.
Ok, lets work an scenario. he goes into an stream with whatever girl streamer is popular. they play, they there is shit and giggles etc etc etc. (no idea what do people do on stream I dont watch stream really).
happening 1) nothing happens and everyone moves on
happening 2) there start to circle around rumors about him and her, rumors intensify the more collabs he does or whatever
happening 2.1) his wife knows and trusts him
happening 2.2) Drama

the chances of things going south can be 1 in XXXXX but the fact that that 1 exist for him is reason enough to try his best to avoid the flames rather than dealing with a fire.

some actors can be "divas" but at the end of the day they to do what they are told cause contracts. Rock and Vin had a feud during the last FnF movie so bad they could not be on the same stage together. they could not demand the other to quit. they still had to make their scenes (and post production worked some magic to make it looks like they filmed together)

Some actors decide what is in their contract.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
He should really re-evaluate his position on playing with women, but overall he's a great role model and one of the most positive influences in gaming.

I don't think you can say that when he openly discriminates against women. He is normalizing chauvinistic behavior. You can't discriminate against all women and be a good role model.

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
How did female streamers react to his reasoning? Probably the more interesting opinion on this topic than most here.

When the whole situation first came up, it was easy to find the comments but it's been a while since then, but in whole, quite a lot of female streamers actually agreed with Ninja.

Some have even stated that they only stream with other females because everytime they streamed with one guy several times, all the chat would ask is if they were dating and so on so forth.

Obviously some would disagree with him, but to each their own in regards if they agree or disagree with Ninja.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Rationalizing sexism and exclusionary rhetoric
Ain't nothing wrong with ninja or his reason to not play games with women. It's not bigoted. It's out of respect for his wife. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I'm not caught up with Ninja. He can't have that much against women obviously if he is happily married to one. What's his reason not play with them online though?

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Myeah, no. The fact that "streaming" is his job actually changes everything when trying to equate workplace discrimination and this dude refusing to stream with women out of apparent concern for his marriage.
Internet streaming isn't really a job it's a hustle. Just because you do something and get money for it doesn't make it a job. Some people take their side hustle and make it so lucrative that it makes no sense to have a job anymore. He's one of those people. He's riding a trend in entertainment that may or may not be around long term. A job has enough value to society that you can put it on a resume and it would have worth there. His celebrity status as an internet personality is worth more than what he's doing even if it was generated by what he's doing.

Well he excludes half of the population from working with him just because they are women, sounds wrong to me.
It sounds like it's something he does for his wife's comfort. If you were married and a female friend asked you to go to the movies with her and you said no I don't do that I have a wife is that discrimination against hanging out with women? Plenty of married people don't do things with the opposite sex because they're married.

The bigger issue is that if your wife is that insecure that you have to go to such lengths to not play games online with women you should really deep dive into how healthy that marriage is.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
User Banned (1 Week): Justifying exclusion on the basis of gender
I think you guys are underestimating how shitty twitch chat would be if Ninja streamed with different female streamers and on a routine basis. Undoubtedly people would start rumors and fake news just to cause drama between Ninja and his wife.

I honestly don't fault the guy for this one. When you are one of the biggest stars on twitch and gaming in general you always have a target on your back with people literally waiting in the shadows to pounce on anything you do so it makes sense in his case.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Ain't nothing wrong with ninja or his reason to not play games with women. It's not bigoted. It's out of respect for his wife. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Thankfully that horseshit excuse would never fly in any other industry. It is only in "gamer culture" where it would be seen as logical. It isn't news that the culture that surrounds this hobby is still pretty awful. It just hurts to be reminded of how far we have to go. Because it is really, really fucking far.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Ninja is a misogynistic and should have been banned for his disgusting views on women. Instead he's lauded over like a God. I for sure would never let my kids watch his streams. Ever. I would never let my kids watch most streamers as unless they're highly vetted they all have problematic views and say problematic stuff.

Could you provide a link that sheds some light on these "disgusting views on women"?

I'm only hearing about how he doesn't stream with them. No actual specifics on things he has stated in regards to them.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Please share what disgusting things he said on women except that he won't stream alongside one.

This is a genuine question, as I don't follow him and that's all I know about him.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
real talk, back when we were at GAF i used to wonder why women lurked so much but almost never posted. over time i've come to realize it's because it's not worth dealing with all the misogyny.
Or- it could be that its a board full of dudes trying to decide for them, what is/isnt misogyny without any nuance, shades of difference, or regard for letting females have a voice in the matter. 🤔

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds like it's something he does for his wife's comfort. If you were married and a female friend asked you to go to the movies with her and you said no I don't do that I have a wife is that discrimination against hanging out with women? Plenty of married people don't do things with the opposite sex because they're married.

The bigger issue is that if your wife is that insecure that you have to go to such lengths to not play games online with women you should really deep dive into how healthy that marriage is.

His wife didn't ask him to do it.

There we go. Just for the next 10 posters who blame the actions of a man on his wife.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There we go. Just for the next 10 posters who blame the actions of a man on his wife.
Or, perhaps, he had a conversation about this with his wife and decided not to throw her under the bus in interviews/online?

I mean, he may be a prominent streamer but he and his wife has a right to have a private life, too. It's not about putting all the blame on his wife either. Perhaps he just does this for the health of their marriage.

Food for thoughts.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
real talk, back when we were at GAF i used to wonder why women lurked so much but almost never posted. over time i've come to realize it's because it's not worth dealing with all the misogyny.

Not saying you're wrong because it is true that the gaming community as a whole is toxic, just look in this very thread.

Someone posted a tweet of a female streamer defending Ninja earlier in this thread and right away her view was tossed aside as a "Oh my black friend says I'm not racist".

Doesn't matter if it was one or 50 women, the outcome will be the same as what we saw with hers because people refuse to budge from their stances.

That woman could have just as easily been a user posting here and received the same treatment.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Or- it could be that its a board full of dudes trying to decide for them, what is/isnt misogyny without any nuance, shades of difference, or regard for letting females have a voice in the matter. 🤔

So now the people who don't stan for blatant sexism are silencing women? Is that your stance? These flaccid defenses are becoming more and more deranged.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
Isn't his wife a streamer as well? Has she made any comments about him not working with women?

I've seen a lot of people talk about his job and how him not working with women wouldn't fly at any other job. I would agree that, for the majority of jobs, that is 100% true. However, is being the biggest gaming streamer in the world like other jobs? Porn is one of the few jobs were literally no one would argue that a performer should have to perform an with anyone (race, sex, or religion) they don't want to. Obviously comparing a streamer to a porn stars job is a ridiculous comparison. I'm just pointing out that context matters a lot. Putting yourself in someone else's shoes before casting judgement matters a lot.

That being said, I do truly understand where everyone here, who feels he is doing the wrong thing by not working with women, is coming from. I also understand, by reading about the toxicity of streams on twitch, why Ninja is concerned about his personal life. And honestly, I respect both positions. And no I don't think anything good came from the holocaust lol.