• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Damn that's such a shitty thing and so astoundingly blatant. Like Adam is super well known, especially that comic in particular. People seem to rip off Adam's work a ton, but I don't think anything this big or blatant before. Normally just recreations or editing his work to remove credit on like resales. But producing an entire short film. Nuts.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
This is like that PlayStation animator who ripped off the Steven Universe movie (among a gazillion other things) like if you're gonna plagiarize so blatantly why would you aim so high with it?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I can understand this if it was, like, a student film or something where they never expected people to see it but... this seems professional? AND it seems like the short was good, so they potentially torpedoed perfectly good careers by not asking first.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
The thing that gets me was that dude thought he had a slam dunk on his hands. If he really thought there was plagarism there he could've brought it up privately but he really wanted the internet points and dopamine. Fucking clown lmao
Yeah I can just imagine this dude cracking a beer and rubbing his hands gleefully after clicking Send.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Seems like someone added Adam Ellis as writer/creator on IMDB. The reviews, goofs, trivia and even movie quotes are also filled with people pointing out the plagiarism
I almost just burst out laughing at this FAQ question.

MAPMWkC.jpg

It's rated 1/10 now too with over 570 reviews.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I thought the webcomic would be some obscure one.
How the fuck you gonna rip off Adam and think you will get away with it? Come the fuck on.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Its kind of impressive that anyone would be stupid enough to do this in the age of the internet but hey, it worked for a lil while, I guess..

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
What were they fucking thinking? I don't really follow the guy but I see his comics EVERYWHERE! Dude is pretty huge. Did they not think shit would come to light or something?

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
People who steal always think they'll get away with it. Otherwise they wouldn't steal.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shameless is to mild a word to describe the filmmakers considering they had the gall to ask him to promote the fucking thing. It specially sucks because according to Adam this is a really personal comic he had made just after leaving Buzzfeed.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Isn't the comic-maker also accused of plagiarizing another comic (in a different situation)? That's not to excuse the filmmakers, of course, only to point out that copyright and intellectual property are tricky things, especially with ideas rather than specific words.
He gets shit for ripping himself off and reusing his own line arts but I don't think that counts.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
not going to lie, if the filmmaker didn't straight up admit to using it as inspiration, I wouldn't have seen the similarities lol

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
What were they fucking thinking? I don't really follow the guy but I see his comics EVERYWHERE! Dude is pretty huge. Did they not think shit would come to light or something?
I imagine they think of the internet as just a giant stew of public-domain IP, and it never even crossed their mind that adapting the original artist's work would be seen as plagiarism.

Oct 29, 2017
Man I feel bad for the cast and crew. For the looks of it a handful of talented people worked on that, but I doubt all of them even knew the director was plagiarizing. Now you have this big ass asterisk on something you may have been proud of a few weeks ago.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
"The comic they stole is deeply personal to me, maybe the most personal comic I've ever made. I drew it shortly after I left my day job because of disputes over ownership of my personal work. The comic is about self-care, reinvention, and personal growth."

Damn, of all the things to rip off...

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Now that's some crazy shit.

What are the odds two people made a comic about a woman kissing a dog while a guy watches, with the same structure?
I feel like it's a fairly common joke to make but the structure being so similar is crazy. Since the OG is from 2012 I wouldn't be surprised if the second guy saw it, forgot about it, and seven years later made his comic thinking he came up with it. Or, worst case scenario, made his comic thinking that it'd been long enough that nobody would remember.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy

I'm calling bullshit on this. The screenshotted comic is supposed to be from his site booksofadam.com from December 6th, 2012. But:
  • all the Wayback Machine copies of the homepage show one archived post from December 2012... and it's about Black Friday
  • Wayback Machine has almost 11,000 archived pages from the site, but none of the URLs match that "Slurp slurp slurp" post title
  • Googling his website and that title show no results -- you'd think it would have been syndicated, mirrored, or at least linked/mentioned elsewhere
  • Out of the 11K Wayback captures, all the ones with URLs matching that month point to the Black Friday post
  • The formatting of the screenshotted site header is from later, around 2014, but later copies of the site also show only the one Black Friday post from December 2012, so he couldn't have just screenshotted Archive.org
  • The associated Flickr and Tumblr accounts don't have a copy of that comic from that date
  • Zero matches on TinEye
  • It doesn't match the style or layout of other comics from that time (much simpler/sketchier art style; four-panel where the others were single images; name and title on the comic where the others had none)
  • new: every image in the Wayback copies of the site has a frame and CSS dropshadow effect; his screenshot doesn't
It really looks as though he didn't want his Twitter crusade against the filmmakers derailed by an embarrassing counter-accusation, so he quickly sketched up and backdated an "original" comic to discredit the accuser. If anybody can find any evidence of his 2012 comic existing outside of his tweet, I'd love to see it.

Update: Looks like Ellis deleted the fabricated 2012 screenshot tweet. Here's a (not fake) screenshot:

R9tUgVD.png

And the fabricated image:

QXYHgKG.jpg

This thread really needs some threadmarks, y'all.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm calling bullshit on this. The screenshotted comic is supposed to be from his site booksofadam.com from December 6th, 2012. But:
  • all the Wayback Machine copies of the homepage show one archived post from December 2012... and it's about Black Friday
  • Wayback Machine has almost 11,000 archived pages from the site, but none of the URLs match that "Slurp slurp slurp" post title
  • Googling his website and that title show no results -- you'd think it would have been syndicated, mirrored, or at least linked/mentioned elsewhere
  • Out of the 11K Wayback captures, all the ones with URLs matching that month point to the Black Friday post
  • The formatting of the screenshotted site header is from later, around 2014, but later copies of the site also show only the one Black Friday post from December 2012, so he couldn't have just screenshotted Archive.org
  • The associated Flickr and Tumblr accounts don't have a copy of that comic from that date
  • Zero matches on TinEye
  • It doesn't match the style or layout of other comics from that time (much simpler/sketchier art style; four-panel where the others were single images; name and title on the comic where the others had none)
It really looks as though he didn't want his Twitter crusade against the filmmakers derailed by an embarrassing counter-accusation, so he quickly sketched up and backdated an "original" comic to discredit the accuser. If anybody can find any evidence of his 2012 comic existing outside of his tweet, I'd love to see it.
i'm dying

Jun 22, 2019
Plagiarism always sucks, but can someone confirm whether this is the same person who tried to set up a shop that just straight-up ripped off Japanese merchandise like the Akira jacket? Or am I confusing them for someone else?

Zonar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona, USA
  • Zero matches on TinEye
This is super daming.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
  • Zero matches on TinEye

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
  • Zero matches on TinEye

ohhhhh it gets interesting.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Zero matches on TinEye
A twist to the twist!!

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
What's especially gross is that while Ellis is trying to play the underdog against the filmmakers, he's got almost a million followers on Twitter while Davros has under 5,000. But he has no qualms about gaslighting her him and framing her him for his own plagiarism in front of all those people, knowing full well how vicious a riled-up internet mob can be against women in particular. (Again, if the original comic is somehow real, I'll withdraw the accusation, but I've seen zero evidence it is and plenty that it's not).

edit: Turns out Yanni Davros is a dude! I blame my Aunt Yonnie for the mix-up (but it's still shitty regardless)

Last edited: