• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, but will it actually be as good as Skyrim?

I mean Skyrim PS5/XSX is probably gonna happen anywanys.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
For what it's worth, a while ago in the official Obsidian discord, Obsidian mentioned "future games" like Grounded would have a third person option after they heard the requests from The Outer Worlds.
Nice. Really hope they add 3rd person view in Avowed.

For me, first person view always feels like restricted and grand scale of game world is completely lost. There is a reason game reveal always have 3rd person view.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm getting this. Skyrim made by Obsidian is fucking what I want.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I was worried Microsoft buying Obsidian would be the death of their isometric RPGs. But I'll take Obsidian's TES, because they might make it better.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
welp guess I'm upgrading my PC

Was already hyped for an Obisidian RPG but set in Eora too? I have to

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So the rumors about the Skyrim-esque game set in the PoE universe were true. In for this.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I get the feeling that this is why MS bought Obsidian in the first place. A major exclusive fantasy RPG to go up against stuff like Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age.

Between this and Demon's Souls it's going to be a good few years for fantasy RPG fans.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, not excited about cross-gen.

Having to account for base xbox 1's cpu and internal HDD is gonna suuuuck.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
One of the most exciting things I saw today.
For how massively popular Skyrim has been, it sure has not had a lot of games like it spawned which I've always thought was weird. If this is on a scale of an Elder Scrolls game, it could end up being one of my favorite games ever. I can't wait to hear more, especially about the scope of the game.
Bummed that PoE3 is not happening, but I won't count it out permanently, and at least the world is living on in this which I did not expect.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The purple magic probably hints to being able to be a Cipher right?

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
It's great that we're getting an action RPG in the world of Pillars but I assume this also means Obsidian is finished making CRPGs.

Sad times.

Sort of an odd assumption, no? They have multiple other teams and MS has shown their willingness to back PC-first content with Flight Sim, Gears Tactics, Age of Empires 4. I could totally see them doing another CRPG (but definitely not Pillars 3).

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crossgen kills the hype for me. Being anchored to old hardware really hurts the core gameplay philosophies of these AAA big scope games. Im not expecting much more than an Elder Scrolls clone we've already played.

edit; maybe not crossgen? I'd still play the game just not super excited about the possibilities if it were crossgen.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I wish we would have seen some actual gameplay, but really excited for this. Obsidian has been killing it for years, and it feels like they finally have the budgets to let thier games shine. Crazy they have 3 games in development.

Also, is this open-world? I would love to see they do thier version of Skyrim.

Oct 27, 2017
The World

Ugh, cross gen? God damn it.

Likely a mistake.

www.xbox.com

Avowed | Xbox

Obsidian Entertainment's Avowed, coming to Xbox Series X|S.

Ecit0Z0.png

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect any more CRPG's to come out in the Pillars universe, but I'll take this. It's a very cool, interesting setting and I'm very happy it's still alive.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Cross gen? yep, this's gonna be another Halo infinite where the game looks good in in-engine but then average when the gameplay trailer is revealed.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yo if this game is planned for 2022 or later, it should not be cross-gen.

Seriously, what the hell is Microsoft thinking with all this cross-gen nonsense.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
So... did i blink and miss the gameplay? Just looks like an in engine trailer.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Well, hopefully, cross-gen is a mistake because it kills my hype a bit. I still remember that Obsidian dev, either in an interview or a making-of doc, talking about how in the Outer Worlds they had all this stuff in levels but had to cut it due to current-gen consoles memory limits. It was pretty much, "We had all this stuff in this level, but due to consoles we had to cut most of it" repeated multiple times.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I think updating title with "CROSS-GEN!" was mistake as there is clearly conflicting info out there. Why to update title with something that hasn't been confirmed?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I wasn't sure I'd ever get to explore Eora again, so I'm incredibly happy. Can't wait to see more whenever they're ready to show it.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I'm still hopeful we'll get a PoE3.

I figure, if anything, this type of game will get more people invested in the world and that might help make PoE3 a reality in the future.

Skyrim like game set in Eora, while not my number one choice, still soudn spretty cool. I guess it's goign to depend on the scope. Skyrim has a lot of scope, and outside CRPG's Obsidian has tended to target a smaller scope, like with the Outer Worlds.