• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Will be interesting to see how they handle some things. Prequel is cool and all but I love how PoE was set in a like 16-18th century-ish world. Somewhat on the cusp of industrialization, flint lock weapons, cannons, and then animancy kind of taking the place of the scientific revolution, etc. If it's set pretty far back to just pure medieval-ish times that will be fine, but a little loss of the charm Pillars had with these kind of changing times feeling.

Can't wait see how they have something like a Cipher work in real-time first person. And I hope they have the gods play a more prominent role. Especially if we are some agent of Woedica. Deadfire, and White March before it, were way better for having the gods be more active characters and participants within the story and world, rather than as stand-offish entities that are just spoken of.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
This and Fable are going to force me into a Series X. There is a lot of potential with Obsidian having a good budget.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
IMO the issues with The Outer Worlds were clearly budget. It had the trappings of a good one of those, but when it came to depth it clearly had bigger ambition than budget. Limited itemization, worlds, etc. It was a AA game trying to pass itself off as a AAA game.

I don't think it's indicative of Obsidian going the way of Bioware or anything like that, especially when PoE2 came out the year before The Outer Worlds and is one of the best CRPGs of all time imo.

It's pretty strange as Pillars of Eternity 2 was basically their most Bioware game to me (especially since it was because the Outer Worlds). I kickstarted both Pillars and most CRPG on Kickstarter too. The characters quests were all short and disappointing, bigger emphasis on relationship with your party and them constantly making advances on you, terrible and pointless minigame (the ship) and a weak main story line with the crux of the content being on the side quests and a fairly lackluster finale and ending. The biggest choice of the game was also equivalent to the thing people complain about Bioware and Bethesda's Fallout all the time. Basically the confrontation at the end has ton of choices but they all boils down to YES, YES but..., No (but in fact YES), YES AND..., YES!!!.

It was basically like the Outer Worlds and felt unfinished. The characters that had not reached the funding goals were still put in the game in an incomplete state. The ship mechanic was really dumb. I got the achievements for beating all of the battles and every single time I rammed the other ship and spammed AoE. The big update to the game being trying to ape Original Sin kind of felt ironic to me.

Hopefully with Microsoft support they get to realize the full 100% vision without compromise this time.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Trying? Their open world in The Outer Worlds was more lifelike and enjoyable than Fallout 4 or Fallout 76. As far as I am concerned they made a better game even if it is shorter.

Can you lend me your copy of Outer Worlds? The one I played was as sterile and dull as it gets in terms of its world. There was no systemic/emergent fuckery going on, at all. Fallout 4 was a disappointment, the game world is on an entirely different level.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
There's a ton of potential in this. I'm keen! And hopefully some of these CGI reveal games are further along than we think. Weren't insiders saying Microsoft was holding back a bit so they have stuff to show later in the year? Maybe that's when we'll start getting more gameplay reveals.

May 10, 2019
tumblr_mqdh2pxIxH1rozsvoo1_400.gif

Wasn't expecting that but now I want more!

ryzz

Oct 23, 2018
Thought it would be further along in development but hoping it can live up to expectations.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how they're handling combat? Only first person melee I've really enjoyed was Vermintide 2.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Trying? Their open world in The Outer Worlds was more lifelike and enjoyable than Fallout 4 or Fallout 76. As far as I am concerned they made a better game even if it is shorter.

The Outer Worlds didn't even have an open world. It had several small overworlds. And there was basically nothing to explore in any of them, they were just a handful of named locations for the quest chains.

It's legitimately one of the most disappointing games of the generation IMO. Probably mechanically superior than watered down Bethesda Fallout games, but with a fraction of the atmosphere, exploration and scope. Since those are the things I actually like about Fallout 3 and 4 - it was a huge bummer.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Really? It felt like their least Bioware to me. It felt more like the New Vegas of isometric cRPGs with how open it was and the emphasis on faction diplomacy.

Yeah the only Bioware thing about PoE2 to me were the companion characters which definitely felt more Bioware-esque than past Obsidian entries (and I mean that in a generally positive way). Everything else about the structure of the game was not Bioware at all.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why, why it had to be that boring Pillars universe... sigh
That's the main reason I'm excited lol. Hopefully leads to PoE 3 after this too.
I wonder there's a technical/engine element to it - people like to take the piss out of Bethesda's tech, but how many other open world games have the same level of item/NPC persistence?
Yeah and the dedication and detail put into lore and world building. Skyrim has problems but it also does a lot of things pretty amazingly.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
That's the really baffling thing to me. TES is such a popular IP ... but no one even dares trying to copy it? Like why?

What makes TES special? If you can figure out what that is then you are well on your way.

As cliche as it sounds, Bethesda games have a way of being greater than the sum of their parts.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Shame about the Pillars universe, I found it very dull and was the biggest reason I dropped the game. Hopefully they can make it more interesting.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I assume this will still be far off, right ? Considering no gameplay and being Series X exclusive ?

I think its time for me to start saving money for proper PC.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Most exciting thing from the showing for sure.

PC release I'm assuming?

Edit: right there in the tile lol

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Wait is the "same world as PoE" just from Jason's tweet? Do we know if he's just speculating or not?

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
I wish they showed more. I was unfortunately not as much of a fan of outer worlds as I wanted to be. I would love a new open world skyrim type game but I need a better story.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
wonder if this is what sawyer is working on. he said he was working on a game he couldn't mention a while back

but after deadfire released he seemed really burned out on the pillars ip

edit: looks like he is not
He directed Pillars 1 and 2 (and their expansions) back to back, after 6-7 straight years of working on Pillars it's not surprising he needs a break to do something new. Given it's not a time where a Pillars 3 would even get greenlit it might be for the best. If Avowed is a big success we can hope it can raise interest in the Pillars universe enough to get a 3rd game down the road.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
He directed Pillars 1 and 2 (and their expansions) back to back, after 6-7 straight years of working on Pillars it's not surprising he needs a break to do something new. Given it's not a time where a Pillars 3 would even get greenlit it might be for the best. If Avowed is a big success we can hope it can raise interest in the Pillars universe enough to get a 3rd game down the road.

I don't think he had much direct involvement in the expansions for either game, and they were likely the best content produced for both games. So I think the world is in a good place to be handled well by other directors.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he had much direct involvement in the expansions for either game, and they were likely the best content produced for both games. So I think the world is in a good place to be handled well by other directors.
He's listed as director of White March, I'm going by that.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it would probably confuse more people than it hyped. The Pillars games are niche enough that the average person watching that trailer would have no idea what Eora is and will have Avowed be their first foray into that universe.
A fair point, so much more excited about this now though.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I'm excited about the announcement but not the trailer so much. It looked a bit too generic fantasy probably due to the early stage of development. Hopefully this is it's own thing but I eventually do want to return to the Watcher's story so it is my hope that this is either an indirect sequel or something that can lead to greater exposure for the universe.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm excited about the announcement but not the trailer so much. It looked a bit too generic fantasy probably due to the early stage of development. Hopefully this is it's own thing but I eventually do want to return to the Watcher's story so it is my hope that this is either an indirect sequel or something that can lead to greater exposure for the universe.
Yeah a prequel is fine by me but I hope it's not too far back that there aren't any firearms.

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still really disappointed that Deadfire sold so poorly, because I loved it, but I'm so excited to see more games set in Eora. I do kinda worry that the setting looked pretty generic in the trailer so I hope that doesn't mean they're discarding all the interesting parts. I also hope there's an option for 3rd person but I guess big RPGs are trending away from that lately.

Now that I'm anticipating Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls and Avowed, I wonder which one I'll actually get to play first.

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing Halo and reading Fable is MMO-lite I think this game might take the show for me. I mean, I'm still looking forward to playing Halo and Fable, but my hype levels are down considerably.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I'm still really disappointed that Deadfire sold so poorly, because I loved it, but I'm so excited to see more games set in Eora. I do kinda worry that the setting looked pretty generic in the trailer so I hope that doesn't mean they're discarding all the interesting parts. I also hope there's an option for 3rd person but I guess big RPGs are trending away from that lately.

Now that I'm anticipating Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls and Avowed, I wonder which one I'll actually get to play first.
My money is on Avowed as it started pre-production in 2017 and seemed to start in mid-late 2018 when the ink dried on the acquisition. I believe ES6 is mostly in pre and Dragon Age just exited it. Also, Unreal is easier to develop for and Obsidian can call on other Xbox studios to help.

Either way, after a so-so gen for them, next gen is shaping up to be among the best for WRPGs.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.

TES is gonna be last for sure, not sure what they have planned for that game but it sounds very ambitious, plus Starfield isn't out the door yet.