• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
But people do what they think is right for them. I just think the whole industry is a scam and it's a social pressure that that money could be well invested for future uses, home children etc.

This assumes that you don't get it all back and then some though. Many weddings you come out financially ahead.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
My wife and I rented out a pub, invited 100 guests, refused all gifts, charged $60 per guest, and it paid for itself. And it was fun, my wife got her childhood wish of cutting a cake with a lightsaber fulfilled.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
This assumes that you don't get it all back and then some though. Many weddings you come out financially ahead.
That is also true. And that being the case and seeing the numbers and projections I can see someone making that decision.

My comments were directed towards the average who may not be so advantaged and still feel the need to have themselves or family invest in the event without the payback. Which as subpar spatula said, may be a bridezilla or just young kids caught up in keeping up and going into debt from the social pressure

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
That is also true. And that being the case and seeing the numbers and projections I can see someone making that decision.

My comments were directed towards the average who may not be so advantaged and still feel the need to have themselves or family invest in the event without the payback ... Which as you said, may be a bridezilla or just young kids caught up in keeping up and going into debt from the social pressure

Ya, I won't advocate someone go into huge debt or spend money they can't afford but I don't think it's a clear cut case where spending that much is a waste either. It all depends on numerous factors.

Oct 27, 2017
My fiancee and I've begin talking about our wedding, we've agreed that we'll spend more on the honeymoon after the wedding.

And we don't have really big families either so.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Who will? Some Bridezilla. That average isn't sk bad. My wedding is going to cost $31k when all said and done. It isn't going to affect my standard of living. I think people who say don't splurge are those who have never been in a position ever before so it seems really foreign.

We're not gonna splurge, and our parents are only spending around $3k.
We told them not to spend much and use the money on something else.

Though the wedding will be at our $2.5 million home...
We'd rather save for some other property or take extended travel.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
We're not gonna splurge, and our parents are only spending around $3k.
We told them not to spend much and use the money on something else.

Though the wedding will be at our $2.5 million home...
We'd rather save for some other property or take extended travel.
If you were able to self-fund a 2.5 million dollar home (that is if it was 2.5 million when it was bought) then I have zero idea how you're so rich that a 40k wedding is going to ruin your future property buying spree.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you were able to self-fund a 2.5 million dollar home (that is if it was 2.5 million when it was bought) then I have zero idea how you're so rich that a 40k wedding is going to ruin your future property buying spree.

We want something small, we both don't like being the centre of attention.
If it was up to us, we'd have it even smaller.
It's our parents that want something bigger.

My friend had 3 weddings... :|
1 wedding they rented a whole theatre, had a ceremony there, and then performers...

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
44k wedding is nothing here in India. Things are ridiculous here when it comes to weddings

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am from a culture that likes to throw big crazy multi day weddings(indian subcontinent). It's still fucking stupid and a waste of money and in my experience, mostly a pissing contest.

Hmmm. A survey by a wedding business company makes the cynical part of me think they're trying to normalize the increase (up from $27,000, apparently), so that people think this is the new 'average' and are more comfortable spending bigger amounts. I do think the wedding industry is a scam in many ways, but nothing wrong with a wedding you want/can afford, especially if you have a big family or cultural factors. Have no regrets for my wedding, certainly (though mine was much, much cheaper than their 'average').

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Lmao, no thanks. Private ceremonies have never looked more appealing.

Invite your families to a potluck afterward.

Oct 28, 2017
My wife and I hate large gatherings of people so we only did the town hall stuff and then invited my parents and the interpreter ladies to lunch in a nearby restaurant. Total cost maybe 100 €?

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
Lol my husband and I got married for around $68 at the courthouse. To be fair, we only had one person attending because we live in Georgia and gay couples getting married isn't exactly a cause for celebration.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Average Breakdown from experience (per day of event):

Venue: $35 per person (average guests: 200) = $7,000
Food: $15 per person = $3,000
Decor: $3,500
Dresses: $2,000
DJ: $500
Photographer: $2,000
Videographer: $2,000
Cake: $1,000
Entertainment: $1,000
Alcohol: $2,000
Invitation Cards: $10 per person = $2,000
Florist: $1,000
Limo: $500
--------------------------------------
Total: $27,500

Honeymoon: $2,000
Wedding Ring: Priceless

I always tell people, take that $40k, put it as a downpayment for a house, and throw a huge wedding at the new home when you get the keys.

Last edited:

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Hahahahhaha no

If I'm gonna spend that kind of cash, I rather use it towards buying another house and use it as a rental so it pays for itself + gives *me* money in the long term. I would be willing to spend a couple grand in a wedding, but nothing that tops, say, 8k.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Hmmm. A survey by a wedding business company makes the cynical part of me think they're trying to normalize the increase (up from $27,000, apparently), so that people think this is the new 'average' and are more comfortable spending bigger amounts. I do think the wedding industry is a scam in many ways, but nothing wrong with a wedding you want/can afford, especially if you have a big family or cultural factors. Have no regrets for my wedding, certainly (though mine was much, much cheaper than their 'average').
I'd say the average is at $30,000 if you add honeymoon and a cheap/parents' ring. But there's a lot you can cut down that you don't really need, but still end up getting.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm glad my partner and I both agree not to spend absurd amounts of money for literally a single day out of our entire lives.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We spent about $30,000AUD on ours in 2015. One of the best days of my life. We saved and we have about 130 of the most important people in our lives together. Absolutely no problem either way and I feel great for the people having $50 courthouse weddings too- to each their own (I'm sure there are things they buy that I find would be too much) but there's a lot of judgemental one upping of "OH YEAH? WELL I GOT MARRIED AND ONLY SPENT $10!" in the thread which is pretty gross. Let people do what they want.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
We held ours at a simple chinese restaurant with minimal fanfare. Cost was about $20k for 200pax. We ended up making a profit - which we have parked aside as emergency funds.

Deleted member 9838

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wedding industry is a joke and I will never pay for this. I know someone whose parents in law payed like $50,000 for their wedding. Lol only like 30-40 people showed up too. They went luxury on everything. I mean yeah if you have the cash to burn go for it but for the average person, fuck that shit. Invest that 50k or use it as downpayment for a house.

Squid Lord

Nov 28, 2017
I'm getting married next month at my county courthouse and it will cost me $89 for the license and ceremony. Of course it kind of helped that we didn't tell anyone.

Sgtpepper89

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Wedding industry is a joke and I will never pay for this. I know someone whose parents in law payed like $50,000 for their wedding. Lol only like 30-40 people showed up too. They went luxury on everything. I mean yeah if you have the cash to burn go for it but for the average person, fuck that shit. Invest that 50k or use it as downpayment for a house.

Seen some bridezilla shows on tv. One thing is for sure, money cant buy taste lol.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol we paid 100€. dinner with the family paid by the family
so we only paid for the marriage licence

44k...so much money

Jack Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Like buying a Cadillac and driving it off a cliff 6 hours later.

Glad I got married in my parents backyard.

Oct 29, 2017
In the UK if you're Asian it's about £30,000 lol.. well it doesn't have to be but unfortunately that's become the norm these days and the amount of guests is quite ridiculous... some have 800-1100. Not been to an Asian wedding where it was no less than 700.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
yeah, this is insane. for 44k we can get a small parcel of land up here and have a tiny house built, Goddamn.

my fiancee and i are planning our wedding now, decided early on to go cheap and small and got some estimates down to around sub-$5k... and then she woke up one morning and was like, "naw, fuck it, let's save that money and really treat ourselves to a honeymoon". so we're having a close friend officiate, her husband take photographs, inviting our mothers, and our very closest friends (maybe six total) and just getting married guerrilla style among some New England forest ruins. we'll pay for dinner and drinks after and that'll be that.

Full disclosure though, i am going to splurge a little of my personal funds on a new suit (which will be entered into wardrobe rotation of course) and accouterments, 'cause, like... im getting married, too, i wanna look cool.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry I just think it's so stupid. That's a really nice car or a down payment on a house

I always tell people, take that $40k, put it as a downpayment for a house, and throw a huge wedding at the new home when you get the keys.

I love seeing cost breakdowns. It's interesting where the money/priorities are for different people.

For ours:

Venue: Location, food/drink package for 47 = ~$5000
Decor: $50 (venue was gorgeous so needed nothing and I bought materials to hand-make seating charts/photo wall, etc.)
Dresses: $300 (second hand shop + fitting)(bridesmaids could wear whatever as long as it was black)
Hair&Make-up: $200
DJ: $300
Officiant: Bottle of champagne (sister's coworker)
Videographer: $0
Cake: $0 (aunt is a pastry chef/wedding cake maker)
Entertainment: $0
Alcohol: Premium open bar included in venue package
Invitation Cards: $1.50 per person? = $75 (I made ours + cost of mailing)
Florist: $0 (I got leftovers from a florist and made my own bouquet/bridesmaid flowers and just scattered rose petals on the tables/cake)
Limo: $0
Total: $8,000-ish?

Honeymoon: $3,000?
Wedding Rings: $300

I'd say the average is at $30,000 if you add honeymoon and a cheap/parents' ring. But there's a lot you can cut down that you don't really need, but still end up getting.

I cut down everything non-essential and just put the bulk of the money towards the venue package for food and drink and the photographer. There are so many things you don't need that are peddled as 'essentials' like flowers or bridesmaids stuff or limos, etc.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild. We spent $25k or so for 180 guests. Sucked, but whatever. It was a good year for freelance for me and my freelance work covered the wedding and honeymoon. Got back close to that in cash gifts, plus whatever loot we got during the shower.

Wouldn't change anything about it.

For guests it was 60/40 my wife's side to mine. She has a big stupid family with thousands of cousins who aren't really cousins, her parents know basically everyone in their dumb city and they're all related somehow until you ask "how are you actually related to this person...?". I didn't invite much extended family. We have a lot of friends and a solid group of about 20 pretty close friends (inlcud spouses etc). We're lucky in that we have a lot of friends.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

2k honeymoon in comparison to everything else lol

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't weddings in general getting smaller and cheaper by the year? Most of the younger generation doesn't have the money, time or give a shit about their family and culture pushing for such an event.