• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
It was okay. There's room to grow now that they're past the setup.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was fine for a comedy pilot. A few good lines, a somewhat interesting set-up, and a fun cast -- not nearly as bad as I expected after reading the reviews.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Comedy pilots always tend to be a bit naff. I still enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to the next episode.

I trust Armando

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it was pretty "meh" but like, I'm watching it to see how many Silicon Valley supporting/side cast members I can find on it.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I have no doubt the first episode is probably the bad episode of the bunch because of the world it has to build. I hope it becomes new silicon and lasts for 5+ and not Brink which had a great cast and was canceled.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
The pilot was utter shit, but i would give the creator of the thick of it and veep multiple chances to change my mind.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
I trust Iannucci but man, that pilot was just awful. We'll see how the next few go but it needs to drastically improve.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2 was marginally better than the first one, but it was still pretty bad.

Oct 25, 2017
There were maybe two times this episode where I could see that they were trying to make a joke.

It didn't make me laugh even a little, but I could see where I was supposed to

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really want to like this and the concept is great, it I'm just not laughing at most of it. I don't know why, but I don't find it funny.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
I've only seen the first episode but there's something weird about the acting. These are all talented actors but for some reason it feels like I'm watching a college play if that makes sense? Everyone feels like they're hamming it up.

I think it's cool they're trying something new and I loved Veep but this just feels off.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I guess it's an accomplishment to make an episode worse than the first one? Why do we care about anything that happens to these dour, unfunny idiots again?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is neither funny or clever. What a waste.

Honestly this show is way too shoddy by HBO's standards. How did it make it to production?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is neither funny or clever. What a waste.

Honestly this show is way too shoddy by HBO's standards. How did it make it to production?
Armando Iannucci. Sometimes you get stuff like this in your relentless pursuit to keep your most successful creatives happy. After Veep, HBO likely gave him carte blanche.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Armando Iannucci. Sometimes you get stuff like this in your relentless pursuit to keep your most successful creatives happy. After Veep, HBO likely gave him carte blanche.
Oh shit for some reason I never realized that Iannucci put Veep together. Welp there it is.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm liking it. My only complaint is that I'll just start getting into it and then boom, episode over, and a whole week between shows. How did we watch stuff like this?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
It is kinda morbidly fascinating watching this show so far in a "how did this turn out this way". Just about everything is off or wrong. The casting is terrible, most of the actors feel completely wrong for the parts they are playing. The writing is atrocious. The directing and pacing and sound is all really bad. I guess the set design is ok?

I wonder if HBO will plow ahead and order up a season 2 and hope things can get fixed up or just bail early. I'm also thinking about how god awful the Game of Thrones spinoff must have been if this was greenlit after presumably the pilot, and that got cancelled after execs saw the pilot. Release the tape!

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeesh, was pretty non-committal after the pilot, but 5 minutes into episode 2, I gave up.

It's not funny, it's not cast very well, and honestly, I have a lot of issues with Hugh Laurie's ridiculous hair. Veep it ain't.

I think we tend to forget HBO does have its fair share of duds, Avenue 5 is one of them.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
other than a few funny lines here or there its not great. the whole 26 sec delay gag is already tiresome. the older lady who complains about everything is annoying.

Laurie is fine, i can watch jessica st clair yell at people all day, and josh gadds assistant or whoever is funny

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Given the pedigree and setting and budget, this should be steller. Yet, it's pretty bad. Like really bad.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got round to the first episode and that was okay, but not great considering the pedigree. Laurie was good and the accent bit was fun but a decent amount of the cast just feel off. And it continues the trend of Ianuccis American/HBO work generally being weaker.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Early Veep belongs on any top comedies list. I like it more than Curb and Succession if we're comparing HBO shows. Hugh was great on House. It's a fun premise too, to have this giant fraud leading a cruise ship stranded in space.

Obviously it's not coming together at all, the writing especially is a nose dive from Veep. Those characters had depth and moment to moment it was razor sharp. Oh well.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Armando Ianucci has written some of my favorite comedies of all time and his writing is usually so damn witty. in fact Veep took a massive decline when he left too.

But god damn what the hell is this. show is just a total dud. Everybody has a few failures in them I suppose. I like the premise but the jokes are such misfires.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I liked the idea of this show, but i don't get the jokes, nothing to me seems funny.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ, this is unwatchable. I was willing to give a chance after the first episode but this second one is laugh-free.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Oh dear I was looking forward to this. I will still give it a go.. maybe he stretched himself too thin with also doing David Copperfield(which was fantastic)

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Second episode was still pretty bad.This show just feels like if you told an AI to create an Ianucci show set in space, just souless and jokes that an algorithm might think its funny.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Second episode was still pretty bad.This show just feels like if you told an AI to create an Ianucci show set in space, just souless and jokes that an algorithm might think its funny.
I think the third episode might be the worst so far. I just don't see the point of it. Nothing is happening and everyone is boring and it's not even very witty.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
yeah this is crazy, why do the characters even have roles on the ship if they all kind of do whatever

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Episode 3 was a fairly insightful look in to how society could develop without the profit motive. Seeing housekeeping, waiters, cooks etc still do everything that's needed even in the face of probable doom, all in the name of civility, was interesting.....

Karen essentially becoming a politician, middle management being fraudulent ... I see what Ianucci is trying to do. Class conflict in space. Thing is, the jokes are just not funny and the characters are so boring. Some diversity within the passengers would've surely helped, but I don't think space tourism is for the average person in this universe... Hmmm, i'll stick with it till the end of the season.

Last edited:

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
At the end of ep 2 my wife and I agreed that we weren't really sure. But ep 3 we both enjoyed more. Still not sure it's going to go much further though.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 3 feels like the show finally getting into its stride, will give it until Ep 5 and decide if it's a keep or drop.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
The soundtrack and editing are so weird.

Also, switching between a shaky shoulder cam for shots that don't involve a green screen and then a steady cam for green screen shots is super distracting.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
I gotta admit i got a chuckle out of the "Huawei Wars" line and the bridge scene at the end was funny overall,show still not good but theres hope

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4 was still very wonky but I think it was the first one that had something resembling humor in it.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Episode 4 was still very wonky but I think it was the first one that had something resembling humor in it.
I did sort of chuckle once or twice but I think it's just because I'm starved for comedy and laughing at the joke equivalent of crumbs. I'm really close to giving up on this now, the whole wet suit failure seemed so maddeningly avoidable.