• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Secret Wars, huh. Doom's casting need to be pitch perfect. If they fuck that up...

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
As I said before, this has nothing to do with him being black so chill.

Understand, we live in a society where one of the most picked apart aspects of the Black appearance, besides our hair and skin tones, are the shapes of our lips and particularly our noses.

So, when you make your criticism of a Black actor's ability to play a fictional comic book character, drawn multiple ways by multiple artists, solely about the shape of their nose...please rethink the micro-aggressive nature of your criticism.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I know nothing about comics Kang, and nothing about the Secret Wars storyline. And since I don't know how they get there, as everything in phase 4 seems kind of disjointed as of yet I'm very excited for the journey ahead. I also expect a ton of "small" crossovers/cameos across the coming shows and movies to advance the overall plot.

I also want to chip in to a discussion I read earlier in one of today's Marvel threads.
I also don't think the Avengers will be a fixed team, but an ensemble of different characters from the movies. And the Avengers name of these movies is more like a signal for the casual audience that "this is the big crossover blockbuster you have been waiting for."

Yeah. It's not gonna be a matter of people organizing and being like "we're the New Avengers! You can be called the Mighty Avengers"

There will be multiple major crises going on and whoever is available at the right time and place will become Avengers. They may not even call the Young Avengers that in the end, they're just gonna be a group of younger Avengers. Lowercase y and n on these newer teams in the MCU. "The New Avengers" will just be referred to as Avengers

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
As someone who's fatigued with the deluge of Marvel content, I'm gonna watch the shit out of these Avengers movies. I think Kang's a really cool villain and Jonathon Majors is a great actor, so I'm hyped for 2025.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Understand, we live in a society where one of the most picked apart aspects of the Black appearance, besides our hair and skin tones, are the shapes of our lips and particularly our noses.

So, when you make your criticism of a Black actor's ability to play a fictional comic book character, drawn multiple ways by multiple artists, solely about the shape of their nose...please rethink the micro-aggressive nature of your criticism.
Yep. You never walk into a Dr Strange thread and see someone complaining about extremely minor random details about Benedict Cumberbatch's appearance. Or see it for Evans, Ruffolo, Downey, Bettany, Stan, Hemsworth...

Weird how "I just have a preference, I just don't like how they look" doesn't happen all the time yet happens commonly only for certain actors and actresses...

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Also let's not act like Jonathan Majors hasn't been open about how people have been cruel and talked about his nose. That's why he fucking ad-libbed that line about it in loki

Anyway, I am more hyped for the mcu than I ever have been. Can't fucking wait.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
"WE GOIN' TO SEE THE KANGS!"

1nodvSq.jpeg

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Kang Dynasty -> Secret War will absolutely start with the Kang finale and introduce Doom to the mix, likely similar to Secret Wars II in that Doom was already fucking around in various points in time without anyone knowing. Doom's gonna fight Kang in some way and take over as the main villain, and It's a perfect fit. I'm very hyped for what the MCU does with this stuff.

My only worries is that Time Runs Out won't get the time it deserves, but maybe they'll do it completely differently and it will play out during phase 6 overall.
What if......

Considering marvel likes to mix it up a bit, what's the bet that Kang is also Dr Doom?
Yea, I had this thought too. I'm not sure it would be a great idea, but I could see Doom being another Variant of Kang as an adaptation. It would essentially be a conflict between which 'Kang' is the best which makes sense for something like Secret Wars.

edit: But I hope they don't do the variant route, I think having Doom as the major opposition to Kang would be the best way to show his character. He can be the one dude to figure out how to combat all the time shenanigans by Kang while manipulating events to his favour.

Last edited:

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Jonathan Majors fuckin killed it in Loki. Day one of his first appearance on Loki I was praising his performance on here and I can't wait to see more of him.

erraticstatic

Jan 22, 2022
Secret Wars, huh. Doom's casting need to be pitch perfect. If they fuck that up...
I'm genuinely hoping they get an actor that's perfectly fine with having their face covered in all of their appearances, instead of opting for a CG mask. The problem with a lot of superhero films is that you have actors constantly take it off for emotional performances. Holland's Spidey is the biggest example of that, especially when he's supposed to be have a secret identity.
But definitely it needs to be someone who has an imposing voice and a major stage presence.
Besides Loki and Ant Man, which projects do we think we'll see Kang appear in before Avengers?
I think there's a good chance you might see him in The Marvels given he is also apart of Marvel's cosmic corner. Plus, Carol is being pushed as Marvel's own Superman, so it would make sense to cue her into the biggest threat going forward.
My only worries is that Time Runs Out won't get the time it deserves, but maybe they'll do it completely differently and it will play out during phase 6 overall.
I'd hope that Kang Dynasty adapts the incursions throughout the movie or at the 616 vs. Ultimate universe battle at the very end as a "snap" moment. It would be cool if they showcase them across movies and projects like F4. Hell, I'd also take the few projects in between Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars showcasing pieces of Battleworld if they go that route.

Genuinely dislike the idea of Doom being a version of Kang though. Especially when he's rumored to be a far-flung descendant of Reed in the comics and that those are two wholly separate characters with their own mentalities.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Would've preferred someone with a sharper nose, so he'd look something like this :

marvel-kang-the-conqueror.jpg
Jesus Christ...

I have seen some really bad casting "preferences" due to pedantic over reliance on source material, but this may very well be the most ridiculous take I have ever read.

(This is all notwithstanding the fact that Kang doesn't even have a canonical/consistent look to his nose. I'm also going to give the benefit of the doubt and not even address all the racial undertones to this take.)

Considering marvel likes to mix it up a bit, what's the bet that Kang is also Dr Doom?
I can definitely see something like this happening. I have a feeling comic book fans are going to go nuts and be very disappointed with the MCU version of Doom. Dropping him as a human with his comic book power levels, with presumably minimal character build up across movies before Secret Wars, into the modern day MCU isn't going to jive well with a general audience that don't know or care about his comic book portrayals.

I think either Doom's character itself and/or his involvement in Secret Wars is going to materially differ from the comic books.

Last edited:

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I wonder what the other phase 6 films are. Shang Chi 2, Eternals 2, Thor 5, and Dr Strange 3 are shoo-ins probably right?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I don't think the stakes of MCU Secret Wars will have all realities getting destroyed in incursions. I think itll come down to just the 616 and Kang the Conqueror's universe or like a mix of a few like 616, Fox Universe, Sony Universe, etc.

For the movies I think the threat of 616 being destroyed in an incursion is big enough for the stakes. And I think it'll happen at the end of The Kang Dynasty and the universe that comes out of Secret Wars will be more like House of M. A Utopia created by Doom rather than Battleworld. The heroes will reject it and fight Doom over the power to rebuild the universe as it should be.

I wonder what the other phase 6 films are. Shang Chi 2, Eternals 2, Thor 5, and Dr Strange 3 are shoo-ins probably right?

Spider-Man 4 and Deadpool

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm not super familiar with secret wars so I read the wiki. Holy shit this will be so damn epic. I know a lot of the characters will have to be changed around but it sounds so awesome.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Even though I know the story now I just bought the paperback off Amazon. I'm excited!
Secret Wars and the like, 10 or so years of Jonathan Hickman comics that lead into it are just fucking amazing, some of the best Marvel content ever

The run from Hickman from Fantastic Four through Secret Wars is the best piece of fiction I've ever enjoyed. I don't know if I'll read anything better in my lifetime, especially now as I re-read them as a father

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The run from Hickman from Fantastic Four through Secret Wars is the best piece of fiction I've ever enjoyed. I don't know if I'll read anything better in my lifetime, especially now as I re-read them as a father
Looks like I'll want to pick up a lot of other back issues too. I was always a xmen only kinda guy growing up and stuck to all those trades. It wasn't until the MCU that I grew to appreciate all these other characters. Now I'm ultra hyped to see it all unfold. Speaking of xmen, this is all makes a ton of sense how it can all lead up to their resurgence. I'm so blown away by the entire MCU and what they've accomplished in what will be decades worth of stories. I know some people get burnt out by all this but I'm loving it.

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
Considering there are two projects between the films, I can kinda see one of them being a Battleworld Disney+ series acting as connective tissue between the two films.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
After Loki and Last Black Man in San Francisco, I absolutely cannot wait to see more Majors Kang. Really hope this run catapults him.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Looks like I'll want to pick up a lot of other back issues too. I was always a xmen only kinda guy growing up and stuck to all those trades. It wasn't until the MCU that I grew to appreciate all these other characters. Now I'm ultra hyped to see it all unfold. Speaking of xmen, this is all makes a ton of sense how it can all lead up to their resurgence. I'm so blown away by the entire MCU and what they've accomplished in what will be decades worth of stories. I know some people get burnt out by all this but I'm loving it.

This is probably the best time to read this. Maybe after Black Panther Wakanda Forever just to get introduced to one last major player (Namor).

The omnibusses organize the issues neatly. It's all one author so it'll be a clean read.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
and his Ultimate stuff. And Secret Warriors. and his SHIELD story and his new X-Men stuff

just read everything Hickman's ever done for Marvel :)
Been slowly going through the X-Men run. It's good stuff. It's the reason I want Krakoa to be prominent in the MCU. It's such an interesting take of the mutants.

When you say Ultimate, you mean the team, not the universe, right?