• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this would be an interesting topic now that this generation's final Destiny-like has hit shelves and is being played by the masses. When Destiny launched to massive long-term success, I was kinda surprised that nobody else in the AAA space was really trying to rip off its formula. The game enjoyed a pretty big space all to itself for quite some time; some aspects of it were aped, but developers often failed to replicate the "full package" of Destiny (PVE + PVP + Raids + Dungeons). Slowly but surely though, contenders to the throne have appeared but they are few and far between.

Answer using whatever criteria you like to decide whether a game is better or worse than Destiny, but at least please state your criteria and rationale.

My answer is pretty decidedly NO. And I'd even include Destiny 2 on the list of games that just really couldn't match Destiny 1. D1 was just built on an incredibly solid gameplay foundation, and similar games that came after has felt pretty middling and formulaic. Developers just seem to think that if they can bolt a half-dozen progression hamster wheels onto a product with mediocre gameplay, that will drive success and engagement. I don't think that's really been the case for titles like The Division or Anthem. I think D1's strength is that they were willing to introduce weird, wild weapons and skills that could possibly break or unbalance the game.....but since then Bungie and others have been obsessed with creating watered-down weapons and skills that could never be good enough to change or affect the status quo. Instead you were just stuck chasing boring homogenized items in search of a min-max setup that wasn't all that satisfying. This pursuit of balance has largely been to the detriment of D2 and other Destiny-likes. It's no fun just hunting down weapons that have slightly better numbers associated with them -- I need something unique, strange, and exciting. D2 was the only game that really stood a chance at snatching the grown since it had Bungie's incredible gunplay hardwired into it, but the loot was just uninspiring.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the only real competitor to the original Destiny is Warframe, and Warframe came out first.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I guess PSO2 has been there for years so not really fair to say that I guess.

Warframe is also there too.

It's less direct competition because it isn't sci-fi but the PSO clone Monster Hunter.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
In terms of the moment to moment gameplay and satisfying loot designs, nothing has really topped Destiny for me. And I say that as someone who hasn't played Destiny in like 2 years.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say yes because honestly I don't think Destiny even does what it's supposed to well. Yes we get it the gunplay is crisp, but it's horrible at a live service, too little content, tons of fomo

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Borderlands 2 and 3 are much better. Not going forr the exact same thing but w/e. If we're counting all ARPGs then there's even more examples.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Warframe and Fortnite are the two clear examples of games that are doing GaaSy things that Destiny does or wants to do better than Destiny.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
No, not really. I really did like the Avengers campaign and that was better than most Destiny campaigns but no looter/GAAS has come close to the joy of some some first raid completions.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Than the original Destiny at launch? For me Warframe, PSO2 (unsure if this "counts" or not seeing as it's been out forever in JP), and Avengers are all better than the original Destiny.

What I really appreciate about Avengers is the story, that is better than all of the narratives (I'm not talking about lore) in Destiny and Destiny 2 so far combined in my opinion.

Both Destiny and Destiny 2 weren't good live service games until the first big expansion of each in my opinion.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I thought The Division did a pretty good job, better than Destiny 2 for me and based on current state The Division 2 is out there as one of the best if you're into the setting

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Phantasy Star Online 2 surpassed Destiny before Destiny even came out.

I mean Destiny has better gunplay and visuals than PSO2 (Ranger) or Warframe but it ultimately rings hollow in every other category.

Party

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Are we talking about Destiny at launch or Destiny currently? Because there are two very different games, almost unrecognizable outside of some top-level structure and core mechanics. If we are stalking about launch D1, then yes, there are plenty of games that I think are better than D1 at launch. As broken as Avengers is currently, I find the combination of the core gameplay loop and the story stronger than D1 at launch by quite a bit.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The best 'multiplayer game with repeatable missions where you grind the same bosses over an over to get resources for an ever higher damage number weapon and better armour' game is still Monster Hunter and it's been the best for a lot longer than Destiny.

I definitely think that MH is a fair comparison to these Destiny-likes. The first time I played Destiny and realised what it was going to be I was like 'huh, so it's Monster Hunter meets Borderlands'.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Avengers is my favorite but having a franchise I care about and have a history with tied to it goes a long way. Destiny can have the best shooting ever, but I'll never care about it because it's generic sci-fi blah.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Avengers has some technical issues to iron out but I really like what that game does.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Not as good from a high level, but Avengers does scratch a different itch with it being a third person brawler.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Borderlands 3 and Division 2 did it better.

Granted B3 isn't exactly the same kind of thing.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
No. Destiny's actual moment to moment gameplay is top of class, which helps make it enjoyable even when it ebbs and flows into one of its more bullshit phases. Destiny's art direction, both in the loot and the environment, is also some of the best I've ever seen.

It's not fair to compare Avengers at launch to Destiny in 2020. But even if I just compare their launch states, Avengers wins in the campaign area but Destiny wins at everything else.

There aren't really a ton of games who have tried to do what Destiny does, it's simply too expensive. Even Division isn't really the same thing, but I guess it's a decent example. But Division isn't nearly as fun to play, the environments aren't nearly as fun to explore, and the loot is all boring and ugly.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The best 'multiplayer game with repeatable missions where you grind the same bosses over an over to get resources for an ever higher damage number weapon and better armour' game is still Monster Hunter and it's been the best for a lot longer than Destiny.

I definitely think that MH is a fair comparison to these Destiny-likes. The first time I played Destiny and realised what it was going to be I was like 'huh, so it's Monster Hunter meets Borderlands'.

As someone new to the series, yes. MHW is by far the best Destiny game.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
no looter/GAAS has come close to the joy of some some first raid completions.
Pretty much this. I ended up burning out of Destiny pretty hard after a while, but going through the Vault of Glass with a team of buddies is one of the best gaming experiences that I've ever had.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Does sea of thieves count here?

I know it released in a really messy almost boring state but the current game is fantastic with plenty of activities and some meaningful horizontal progression that doesn't push casuals like me to the side.

Its also been the only game that's eclipses that feeling I got doing the vault of glass back in OG destiny and it has done so on many occasions.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Monster Hunter, Warframe, The Division already all did the GAAS model better than Destiny.

Borderlands has been doing looter-shooter gameplayer better than Destiny for a decade.

Where Destiny shines is that it's simultaneously a very polished GAAS, AND also an extremely competent looter-shooter. There's nothing really on the market that scratches that same itch.

Oct 25, 2017
No.

I am enjoying Avengers more than I expected, but it made so many mistakes that Destiny made and should have learned from. There are also so many technical issues and bugs. Say what you will about Launch Destiny 1 and 2, but at least those games launched polished.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warframe and Fortnite are the two clear examples of games that are doing GaaSy things that Destiny does or wants to do better than Destiny.
Warframe is also there too.
Honestly, the only real competitor to the original Destiny is Warframe, and Warframe came out first.
Borderlands 2 and 3 are much better. Not going forr the exact same thing but w/e. If we're counting all ARPGs then there's even more examples.
I am trying to avoid the mess of a scenario where we all debate which games are comparable to Destiny and which are merely just shooters with progression-grinding and/or loot.

Everyone can respond however they please, but in my own rationale I excluded Fortnite and Warframe because they aren't AAA and don't offer the same package as Destiny -- the triumvirate of PVE, PVP, and Raids. Borderlands is AAA, but has neither PVP nor Raids. Not to mention that even its fans will concede that the shooting, movement, and traversal systems of the game are kinda boring and generric.

All of the aforementioned games fall under the same general umbrealla of "Games As A Service" but beyond that they are pretty different packages.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I still think The Division 2 is the best alternative to Destiny now after Bungie continues to fuck up with Destiny 2, but it kinda feels more like Diablo now as they've ditched gear score, which IMO is the best way to go. I think Destiny 2 brought on one of the worst iterations of the item level ladder, it's literally just there to force you to grind your ass off before you can actually get around to farming for good gear.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Nice and simple question, would make a good poll.

No, I personally don't think anything has topped Destiny. I was unbelievably hardcore into Destiny/D2, but have gone cold turkey for close to a year now. As much as I'm enjoying Avengers (despite the many bugs and various other issues) I just feel like they're making some of the same mistakes Bungie made (and others, like Ubi, Bioware, etc.), years ago. Instead of looking at those similar games and avoiding issues they solved years ago.

Oct 27, 2017

Warframe would have its anus drilled if it was a paid game, especially for the PVP.

Division (imaginary future version with 3 years of support) could have been a good game if Ubisoft didn't rush it to capitalize on Division 1's success. Division 1, after 16 months into its lifecycle was a good game, but Ubisoft said screw that one, we launching Division 2. Division 2 was a disappointment, needed at least 16 months to be good, and by that time the community said adios. Division 1's Dark Zone is still the best PVPVE mode in any looter-shooter, and the DZ in Division 2 is an abandoned afterthought.

OP, I think looking for the Destiny killer is a misguided attempt. No publisher wants to make these mega-games packing campaign, late-game modes and PVP. You kind of get two if you are lucky, and the shit on the stick if you pre-ordered Anthem.

I would much rather play the game that does story right, a different game that does co-op PVE right, and a game that does PVP right.

Lucky there is Sea of Thieves, a game which I would consider the best in the PVPVE experience.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I am trying to avoid the mess of a scenario where we all debate which games are comparable to Destiny and which are merely just shooters with progression-grinding and/or loot.

Everyone can respond however they please, but in my own rationale I excluded Fortnite and Warframe because they aren't AAA and don't offer the same package as Destiny -- the triumvirate of PVE, PVP, and Raids. Borderlands is AAA, but has neither PVP nor Raids. Not to mention that even its fans will concede that the shooting, movement, and traversal systems of the game are kinda boring and generric.

All of the aforementioned games fall under the same general umbrealla of "Games As A Service" but beyond that they are pretty different packages.
Borderlands 3 has 2 different raids. Your criteria is too narrow.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Neither of those games is doing it better, imo. Neither has compelling end-game that comes even close to Destiny's raids, and that's the key to making it all click.

Borderlands 3 has 2 different raids. Your criteria is too narrow.
None of the BL raids are anywhere near as good, and the shooting is flimsy as hell.

Poor encounter design, too.

Fun games, but they're not close.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I thought both Division games were great when they launched. They don't have the raw shooting mechanics down to a T like Destiny but they had meaty campaigns and for the most part worked. Got my fill of both and came away satisfied.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
No but there are a couple caveats.
  • I haven't played Warframe.
  • Destiny being the best one doesn't mean it's particularly great.

Joker Code

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Not for me, nothing comes close to destiny gameplay wise. I have tried warframe and the division but their gameplay has not been as enjoyable as destiny.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't have nearly the polish that Destiny has, but I find the classes (heroes) are much more differentiated and interesting to play. I also think the combat design is more interesting since it goes beyond "shoot the glowy spot". We'll have to see how loot and endgame stuff works long-term.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we talking about Destiny at launch or Destiny currently? Because there are two very different games, almost unrecognizable outside of some top-level structure and core mechanics.
It's not fair to compare Avengers at launch to Destiny in 2020.
Than the original Destiny at launch?
I'm largely asking people to define the specifics and bounds of the question however they see fit, rather than setting too many rules and caveats in the OP. If you want to compare Destiny 1 Day One to Avengers/Anthem then you can. If you want to compare Destiny 2020 to Avengers Day One then you can.

When I say that Destiny 1 hasn't really been matched even by Bungie, I'm mostly thinking of the complete Destiny 1 experience -- 3 DLCs, 1 expansion.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think PSO2 does a lot of things Destiny tries to do much much better, but in terms of competitors to Destiny (which I do not count pso2 or warframe as) nobody beats destiny.

Not because Destiny is some A+ tier title but because despite Destiny's many flaws, all of the games inspired by Destiny just can reach the same highs as Destiny and have equal or greaterflaws.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Not for me, nothing comes close to destiny gameplay wise. I have tried warframe and the division but their gameplay has not been as enjoyable as destiny.

Yuup.

I'm a Destiny stan, but there's a good reason for that. The game has some stuff that pisses me off to no end (fuck off Bungie for your team balance/MM after 3k Glory) but it's still top of the class.

To each their own, buuuut....

Also, fuck these new adds on mobile blocking me from typing constantly...

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice and simple question, would make a good poll.
Thanks much -- I had thought of doing a poll too, but as the initial replies reveal it's a question that is much more complex than it lets on. What is a Destiny-like? Does it need to have all the major aspects of Destiny (PVP, PVE, Raids)? Should I compare the launch version of Destiny 1 against modern games? Do I compare the Destiny franchise as a whole or just the major iterations? There's really too many variables to just set up a YES/NO poll, though I'd be curious to see what the results might be.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
The Division 2, Warframe, MH:W... The Avengers isn't even part of the conversation. It's still early -- there is barely any content outside of the main campaign, no bosses (ok, with the exception of the ones you faced in campaign, my bad), endgame is a joke in it's current state and mission structure is as barebones (and that's being generous) as you can get and customization is not even close to what other GaaS type of titles offer.

The model involves MTX to the core to get your own "look" which ain't saying much since you can only buy skins (in-game currency or MTX) and loot just comes of abysmal. And if that's all it takes to get you going, cool. But nah...

Note: I do have an axe to grind when it comes to that game, I bought it on the whim of ERA hype and should have known better. It's for "fans" of the Marvel properties in its current state, imo. Not much value there if you want something meaningful.

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Phantasy Star Online 2 does absolutely everything better than Destiny by miles except general presentation (which is getting completely revised next year anyways) and PvP, but if I wanted to play PvP I would just play Halo instead of Destiny. Gambit is a really cool concept, though.

It is pretty fascinating though because the original Phantasy Star Online is pretty clearly one of Destiny's strongest inspirations.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. Destiny's raids simply havent been matched, but there are other games that have done things much better.

Anthem's combat is excellent and right up there with destiny. the problem with Anthem is that even though they got the loot right, random perks that allowed for some insane amount of build customizations, they got the loot drop rate massively wrong and just didnt have any end game content ready for launch or beyond launch. it was like watching a two year old design a gaas title. i cant believe it came from an AAA developer.

I actually think Metal gear survive's end game was excellent. just like destiny and anthem, they are one of the few games that got moment to moment combat right. the end game missions were extremely challenging and unlike Anthem and Destiny, they got the end game loot right. they unlocked 4 classes AFTER you beat the campaign. this allowed the campaign to be tightly designed as a single player game and the end game to have its own well, end game. i played the game for around 200 hours, 180 of which were for the end game, and i never felt like i didnt make progress.

you got xp for everything in the game, and unlike destiny and anthem, xp mattered in the end game because you were always leveling up your end game classes. the loot had to be upgraded so the currency had some use unlike in anthem and destiny. the base upgrades and defense every night was an extraordinarily intense and rewarding experience. the only thing where they failed was lack of end game raids and post launch maps. they did really well supporting the game on a weekly basis fixing user complaints and making quality of life changes weekly if not every few days. it was refreshing to see a developer not be stubborn and actually listen to its fanbase. they added a lot of content every week, but again, the lack of new maps really hurt the userbase and it just never recovered.

i feel like if the game had sold more we wouldve gotten more new maps but it is what is.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Neither of those games is doing it better, imo. Neither has compelling end-game that comes even close to Destiny's raids, and that's the key to making it all click.

None of the BL raids are anywhere near as good, and the shooting is flimsy as hell.

Poor encounter design, too.

Fun games, but they're not close.
Shooting is worse but it's still serviceable and it makes up for it by having more varied weapons, grenades, action skills and builds.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
No. Nothing comes even close in regards to the moment to moment gameplay, and there isn't a single GaaS out there that gives me the experience that day 1 raids in Destiny do.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Thanks much -- I had thought of doing a poll too, but as the initial replies reveal it's a question that is much more complex than it lets on.
Yep, I understand and agree to a point. Unfortunately I feel like so many people have a pre-determined (frequently wrong) idea about what Destiny is. I guess poll responses could/would get muddled, but I fear the same for comment responses, too. Hopefully that makes sense and doesn't sound like rambling.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny remains the best in this realm. It's a shame Destiny likes to continue to be the best and most disappointing game repeatedly, but deep down I still love it.

None of the games going for something similar get anywhere close, for me. The "feel" of playing Destiny can't be matched, and the setting/art carry it a long way.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Phantasy Star Online 2 does absolutely everything better than Destiny by miles except general presentation (which is getting completely revised next year anyways) and PvP, but if I wanted to play PvP I would just play Halo instead of Destiny. Gambit is a really cool concept, though.

It is pretty fascinating though because the original Phantasy Star Online is pretty clearly one of Destiny's strongest inspirations.
I adore both PSO2 and Destiny 2, currently playing mostly PSO2 too... but I can't agree with this.

PSO2 UI is so much worse than Destiny's (which has it's own issies), the end game being on a timer (UQs) that might not align with your sleep schedules really sucks, or Ulti quests over and over... or buy triggers in the FFS for obscene cost...

The control system on PC M&KB is a complete mess, and some aspects of key binding are ridiculously limited.

Buying more storage space and other QOL boosts gets far too costly for what it is, lootboxes are really expensive.

It does a lot of cool things, too, but it definitely has issues that Destiny 2 feels better with imo.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Destiny remains the best in this realm. It's a shame Destiny likes to continue to be the best and most disappointing game repeatedly, but deep down I still love it.

None of the games going for something similar get anywhere close, for me. The "feel" of playing Destiny can't be matched, and the setting/art carry it a long way.

Bungie is king when it comes to skyboxes. I mean just look at this:

destiny-2-pyramids-e.jpg