• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it would have taken 20-30 minutes of extra footage, some fan goodies, and potentially an IW + EG marathon in the bigger cities, as well as China, if they really wanted to beat Avatar. They can just hang their hats on highest grossing first-run and call it a day. I still don't know how Avatar made the money it did, but that looks like it's going to stay at the top indefinitely

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Avatar still has this. Lest we forget that record was set in 2009/2010 and is immediately way more impressive.

But these contests are still dumb. It should always be Number of Tickets Sold.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if they keep throwing out endless re-releases you can drag a corpse over the finish line by sheer brute force, but its more of a question does Disney actual care that much?

The fact the re-release was just some extras at the end rather than a full extended cut leads me to think they won'.

I'd love to know what went on behind the scenes at Disney/Marvel. The half-assed additions make it seem like maybe Marvel cares, Disney doesn't. Which would make perfect sense, of course.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to know what went on behind the scenes at Disney/Marvel. The half-assed additions make it seem like maybe Marvel cares, Disney doesn't. Which would make perfect sense, of course.
I feel like that may be the case here.

Will be hilarious if they keep re-releasing this every few months to drag it across. Will be the most absurd ending possible.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Not really, no. Number of tickets sold is itself flawed for direct comparisons because it fails to take into account shifts in market size.

I almost disagree with this. The movie market has grown, but I don't think the act of going to the movies itself has grown. In my lifetime, I've never seen anything as popular as Titanic before or since. Titanic, the soundtrack, the memes, the King of the World... it was enormous in a way that nothing has since been.

And before you get any ideas, this is all done without a franchise, Happy Meal tie-ins, cartoons, major stars, etc. It was just a movie that made people want to see something they've never seen before. I feel the same away about Avatar, except that I didn't like the movie and the extra expense of 3D viewing skewed the financials quite a bit.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like that may be the case here.

Will be hilarious if they keep re-releasing this every few months to drag it across. Will be the most absurd ending possible.

Assuming that is the case, I'd be surprised to see another re-release. If what happened is that Marvel said "we want to do one" and Disney said "you can spend $10", so they just used the Blu-Ray content. Then if Marvel says "we want to do another", what material would they have to use if Disney says they can't spend any more money?

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I almost disagree with this. The movie market has grown, but I don't think the act of going to the movies itself has grown. In my lifetime, I've never seen anything as popular as Titanic before or since. Titanic, the soundtrack, the memes, the King of the World... it was enormous in a way that nothing has since been.

And before you get any ideas, this is all done without a franchise, Happy Meal tie-ins, cartoons, major stars, etc. It was just a movie that made people want to see something they've never seen before. I feel the same away about Avatar, except that I didn't like the movie and the extra expense of 3D viewing skewed the financials quite a bit.
Accounting for one significant factor instead of all is just as dumb. And you can't account for every significant factor, so we can only go by how the numbers are and have always been reported.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I almost disagree with this. The movie market has grown, but I don't think the act of going to the movies itself has grown. In my lifetime, I've never seen anything as popular as Titanic before or since. Titanic, the soundtrack, the memes, the King of the World... it was enormous in a way that nothing has since done.

And before you get any ideas, this is all done without a franchise, Happy Meal tie-ins, cartoons, major stars, etc. It was just a movie that made people want to see something they've never seen before.
I didn't say anything about growth in the domestic market. I said shifts. Domestically, the market doesn't allow for ticket sales on par with Titanic anymore. Different ticket sales are more impressive in different times. Meanwhile admissions have skyrocketed in other regions. Avatar sold less than Endgame in China, but the market was drastically smaller, so more impressive.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Accounting for one significant factor instead of all is just as dumb. And you can't account for every significant factor, so we can only go by how the numbers are and have always been reported.

Sure, and adjusted domestic totals has Titanic beating every modern movie, and it's not even close. That's what I'm talking about, because the financials do follow the insanity that was the movie's box office run.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, and adjusted domestic totals has Titanic beating every modern movie, and it's not even close. That's what I'm talking about, because the financials do follow the insanity that was the movie's box office run.
What? Why are you talking about adjusted totals after my post? Adjusting for inflation is just as idiotic as only taking into account tickets sold.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i think mexico hit endgame harsh too.

i never though mexico run would amount to 77 millions dollars, thats a lot.

and if the peso hand'd lost half its value in these 10 years, those 77 millions would converted to 140millions or something.

right?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
how delusional do you have to be to think endgame is getting a best picture nomination

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I highly doubt Endgame will be nominated for anything other than the usual SFX. It won't even win that, not with competition like Lion King.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Endgame is going to be available in people's homes later this month and on Disney+ later. Disney isn't going to cannibalize money on those fronts for a a meaningless trophy.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
Fuck it. Let Feige and company be silly and re-release Endgame for Oscar season so that it may make a grand total of $1,530.42. Then, a year later, Disney re-releases Avatar, making more than $200 million, enough to bring it past $3 billion total.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. THR is leaving open the possibility of a later re-release like an Oscar season re-release for example. Then again, Avatar would just overtake Endgame once again with its likely re-release before Avatar 2.

Yeah. Especially in China as Avatar was originally limited by the size of the chinese market (200 million was all time record for the time but far cry from todays numbers). For comparison Titanic re-release made 145 million in China in 2012. Original run was 43 million.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Endgame is going to be available in people's homes later this month and on Disney+ later. Disney isn't going to cannibalize money on those fronts for a a meaningless trophy.

I don't think a theatrical re-release would cannibalize those, even if it made significant money (which it probably wouldn't). People who want to own it would still buy it on Blu-ray or streaming, and Disney+ is much bigger than one movie.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Fuck it. Let Feige and company be silly and re-release Endgame for Oscar season so that it may make a grand total of $1,530.42. Then, a year later, Disney re-releases Avatar, making more than $200 million, enough to bring it past $3 billion total.
I don't know if an Avatar re-release now would make that much more than its original re-release.

Re-releases just don't make money anymore.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
What? Why are you talking about adjusted totals after my post? Adjusting for inflation is just as idiotic as only taking into account tickets sold.

No need to be a dick. I bring it up because I believe in both of those things. And adjusted for inflation is likely closer to number of tickets sold, which was my entire point. Ditto for game sales. I think units sold is more important than revenue, because that's a measure of popularity, not for the shareholders.

Anyway, you do you. Avatar stays winning.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
I don't know if an Avatar re-release now would make that much more than its original re-release.

Re-releases just don't make money anymore.

All too true. The scenario I outlined above is more born out of sadistic glee on my part than any truly realistic foresight. But who knows, it might just get a huge surge from the fact that Avatar as an experience is not easy to even begin to replicate at home.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah. Especially in China as Avatar was originally limited by the size of the chinese market (200 million was all time record for the time but far cry from todays numbers). For comparison Titanic re-release made 145 million in China in 2012. Original run was 43 million.
Cameron could re-release Avatar in China alone and already secure Avatar's place as #1 WW from a second Endgame re-release.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory point of comparison; previous ban for similar behavior
No need to be a dick. I bring it up because I believe in both of those things. And adjusted for inflation is likely closer to number of tickets sold, which was my entire point. Ditto for game sales. I think units sold is more important than revenue, because that's a measure of popularity, not for the shareholders.

Anyway, you do you. Avatar stays winning.
Okay. Do you also account for Hitler when looking at Gone With the Wind's numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.