• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It seems that it's like 6 minutes of extras after the credits. It's an excuse more than anything, but

source.gif

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still cant wrap my head around why they did this but didn't do an extended cut. Such a weird half-assed attempt of a re-release.

I'm not entirely convinced this is intended to take the #1 spot and more of a thank you and treat to all the hardcore fans.

We'll know for sure how serious they are when we know the extent of the re-expansion and for how long it goes.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
The technicality argument has been used against Avatar for a while now. Now that card can be removed from play.

Hahaha given all the what-if takes, revisionist statements, and generally poor sporstmanship a few on here have demonstrated, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they pull a "Oh, b-b-but that doesn't count as a proper rerelease!!" when it turns out that this little stunt adds literally $483.39 to Endgame's total because rereleases don't make money you fools.

Normally, I would let them pull this get out of jail free card because of how utterly bizarre and ineffectual this particular rerelease is going to be (seriously, seven or so minutes of Blu-ray extras at the end of the credits?) but the wrongheaded pedantry and silly desperation cannot be ignored any longer.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
The all time charts for box office include all releases. That is what the industry decided on, and that is what will be followed for this.

Do you except people joining your side? I'd be open to a different avatar than yours if it ever comes to it (still think it won't) if you want to keep it exclusive
I debated about opening it up for people to join my puppies, but it started as me vs the world, and it is only proper it ends that way. If anything that has made it funnier.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I debated about opening it up for people to join my puppies, but it started as me vs the world, and it is only proper it ends that way. If anything that has made it funnier.

Too bad.

I'll join the eventual 'Endgame won't get a best pic nom' bet, but we all know that's not going to be exciting or tense, because no way it gets a nom, lol

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think people have lost perspective on how big Endgame actually is and how close the totals would have been even before this extra push.

If it beats Avatar, people will pivot from "a few additional minutes won't do anything to boost the numbers for a rerelease" to "well, of course adding an after credits scene would drive Marvel fanboys to sit through this again since it had 22 films of build up!"

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How else would you group together people rooting for Avatar to win?

"Marvel haters"? "James Cameron fanboys"?

I don't think "Just movie fans of all types who just happen to watch box office and hopes (believes) that Endgame won't win" has the same ring to it.

Are people really rooting for AVATAR or are people being logical about the numbers?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Are people really rooting for AVATAR or are people being logical about the numbers?
lmao I mean, what are we talking about here?

People saying Endgame would never ever in a million years get anywhere close to King Cameron (only joking and totally not serious of course) or the people holding on hope for a rerelease to close the gap and push it the rest of the way there?

If it's the latter, sure, people have been looking for a hail mary in light of the legs, but to paint this as every person backing Avatar at any point as being the "logical" ones just analyzing numbers has to make me laugh.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm surprised Disney cares this much. I feel like letting Avatar stay #1 would be good for marketing Ava2ar. The sequel to the biggest movie of all time.
Disney will probably re-release Avatar next year so it can take back #1 WW for marketing
The true divine comedy would be putting some kind of exclusive Avatar 2 teaser in front of the Endgame re-release. Where is your God NOW?!
A teaser for the Avatar vs. Avengers crossover movie. $3 billion is the floor, baby!

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely convinced this is intended to take the #1 spot and more of a thank you and treat to all the hardcore fans.

We'll know for sure how serious they are when we know the extent of the re-expansion and for how long it goes.
My prediction is the extra footage amounts to:
1. A commercial for Disney+
2. A commercial for Far From Home

Disney thanks you for your additional fifteen dollars. Enjoy your commemorative popcorn bucket. Oh, but don't wash it.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

People saying Endgame would never ever in a million years get anywhere close to King Cameron (only joking and totally not serious of course) or the people holding on hope for a rerelease to close the gap and push it the rest of the way there?

If it's the latter, sure, people have been looking for a hail mary in light of the legs, but to paint this as every person backing Avatar at any point as being the "logical" ones just analyzing numbers has to make me laugh.

I'm speaking for myself here and I'm sure a few others that have been vocal about this. You know who they are.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

I've never even seen Avatar and I think at this point Endgame's chances are extremely low.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Endgame more than Avatar. I am just looking at past re-releases for non-extended cuts and nothing g points to this getting a notable bump.

A few Blu-ray extra features and out next week with little lead up points to just a small little fan thank you. I mean it won't even be able to play in IMAX screens or anything.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I liked Endgame more than Avatar. I am just looking at past re-releases for non-extended cuts and nothing g points to this getting a notable bump.

A few Blu-ray extra features and our next week with little lead up points to just a small little fan thank you. I mean it won't even be able to play in IMAX screens or anything.
Logic, data, and trends have no place here, Scotty.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It is hitting disc on August 13th or 20th based on reports from reputable sites.
Digital will be even earlier. Hell, wouldn't shock me if they do a digital release on SDCC weekend.
I don't see any dates for the home release on the banners or any mention that it's releasing on home video soon.

Hell, wouldn't shock me if they talk up the rerelease in theaters at Hall H rather than push a video release that people are going to get eventually anyways.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I don't see any dates for the home release on the banners or any mention that it's releasing on home video soon.

Hell, wouldn't shock me if they talk up the rerelease in theaters at Hall H rather than push a video release that people are going to get eventually anyways.
I said reputable, like The Digital Bits, Who has had home video connections for decades. Not Comicbook.com.
Even if it doesn't hit on those dates, it is gonna hit by Labor Day at latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.