• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think Endgame's going to be even more front loaded than most of the Marvel films. The 2nd week drop off is going to be huge and the 3rd week is going to be thunderous. But it's starting point is going to be so high that it's still going to be putting up big numbers. Pikachu is going to cut its legs off going forward from there though.

Will it beat Avatar? It has three weeks to do it. I'm not confident enough either way to make an avatar bet, but I'm leaning more towards it not.
I don't think Detective Pikachu alone will hurt Endgame's legs that much, but the combined, sustained competition of Pikachu, Godzilla, Toy Story 4, and The Lion King will. Endgame still has a great shot at surpassing Infinity War, though. Avatar will still be king at the end of the day.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any movie will beat Avatar in the near future. The combination of things needed for it were very rare i.e. super high budget, big name attached to the project, new technology, no competition and new IP helped it a lot, and not to mention the repeated viewings it got. I originally thought Star Wars TFA was going to beat it but it didn't, likely because Star Wars isn't that big in the east (unless I'm wrong here). I wonder if Avatar 2 will beat it, while it will be a direct sequel it'll be the first in over a decade. Then again it depends on a lot of other factors.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It won't outgross Black Panther domestically. Why does anyone think the market for this movie is any bigger than infinity war.
it will be. the snap and thanos dominated the internet for a looong while, it has a much much bigger hype than IW had.
i feel more people will go and see it just to be able to be part of the conversation, it's also feels like an ending and the last parts of these cultural phenomenon kinds of things mostly do better.

some examples:
the third LOTR gained over the first two
the last harry potter movie made a lot more than the 7 before. this one even was a part 2 and gained a ton over part 1.
the last twilight movie made the most
the season premiere of GoT broke records.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
it will be. the snap and thanos dominated the internet for a looong while, it has a much much bigger hype than IW had.
i feel more people will go and see it just to be able to be part of the conversation, it's also feels like an ending and the last parts of these cultural phenomenon kinds of things mostly do better.

some examples:
the third LOTR gained over the first two
the last harry potter movie made a lot more than the 7 before. this one even was a part 2 and gained a ton over part 1.
the last twilight movie made the most
the season premiere of GoT broke records.

Ok.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Realistically, I don't think Endgame will beat Avatar either. I've thrown around $3b unseriously, but honestly, I'm thinking ~$2.3-2.5b.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Realistically where do you think the extra 300-500 million over Infinity War is coming from?

Those aren't small numbers.
I think it'll get more repeat watches, because it's basically the finale of this chapter to the MCU, plus $1b opening weekend is definitely happening. Not enough to get past Avatar. Far From Home is more like a coda.

Oct 25, 2017
It's an interesting comparison, because where Part 2 didn't have much in the way of competition, Part 1's legs were impacted by the releases of Tangled, The King's Speech (Which was huge here in the UK) and The Chronicles of Narnia.
I've kind of always been a sell on Detective Pikachu though. Not sure what to make of Aladdin either.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Realistically where do you think the extra 300-500 million over Infinity War is coming from?

Those aren't small numbers.

presumably from the same place where harry potter's "deathly hallows part 2"'s 381 million came from.

again:
7 harry potter movies made 900 million and the last one made 1.3 billion.
this is not unprecedented at all.

people want to see endings, this one is literally called Endgame.

Oct 27, 2017
presumably from the same place where harry potter's "deathly hallows part 2"'s 381 million came from.

again:
7 harry potter movies made 900 million and the last one made 1.3 billion.
this is not unprecedented at all.

people want to see endings, this one is literally called Endgame.
There is a difference between a film making 900 million and a film making 2 billion. Market growth doesn't erase exchange rates or the fact that a saturated market from the year before isn't going to magically expand exponentially.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity War has the record for fastest to $1b. It took 11 days. Endgame will do it in 3 probably, and worst cast scenario 5. Either way, that record is toast.

Because I love semantic arguments: Movie opens on Wednesday in a lot of other countries (including China). So it'll be 5 days to $1B, not 3.
Grosses are irrelevant to me and I'd much prefer the number of people watching -- and should be better represented by individual seat sales.

Then China's real muscle would be shown without adjusting for inflation - places like India and Indonesia too -- where cheap tickets hide popularity -- and the all time top ten would much more accurately represent how popular a movie was and we wouldn't be exhausted having to read highly suspect movie financing or entertainment lawyer pie charts that demonstrate the creators of star wars can't pay the rent or that the music industry is actually a wholly altruistic charity arrangement.

I don't care how much it cost or how expensive an imax seat in s after 1130am I wanna know how many people saw it right away, and how many saw it after the word spread. That's it.

Butts in seats.

Movies don't report butts in seats for the same reason that NPD doesn't report actual sales anymore. Because of the point of the reporting of the numbers is about whether a movie was profitable or not, not how many people saw it. As an aside, that's also why international grosses are converted using the modern exchange rates and reported in dollars, even though there are other countries that actually do report tickets sold.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it will beat Avatar No, Avatar 2 though? you damn right.

Think about it, it's a conclusion to a cliffhanger story, you kind of need to see the previous film, so all the current Marvel fans will watch it, but not so many new & casuals compared to that who went to see Avatar One, which although big I still do not believe that it's franchise will stand the test of time, only way to find out is at the 3rd film, but but the second film I hear you cry

So how do I come to that conclusion? Well if Avatar 1 is the biggest film Ever, at nearly 3 billion, there is still at least 1.5billion BO worth of interest likely for a second movie, I don't deny that but I then believe half to a third of those viewers will drop off by the third Avatar film.

So at least those who would be curious about a second movie goes to see if that then also makes 1-1.5 to nearly 2 billion dollars people will still be praising it as the second coming of James Cameron but thats not a franchise to brag about thats just one of the biggest films of all time and one very successful but not as big Sequel.

sure it's a box office clean but then it also hinges on merch sales and ongoing Sequel success and actually a good film in order to be classed as a great franchise, if the second one disappoints, then the third film will now lose even more money and suddenly the franchise starts going on a downward turn of interest and Cameron has already planned what? 4,5,6 7 maybe?

See Beyformers, took them 5 movies to see the error of their ways and one really decent movie and now back to planning the rest of the Beyformers Universe, they'll never learn.

You know why Avatar land is successful at Disney parks?

a) it's probably like the a third of a 3 billion box office crowd, whilst thats big its only transformers or mcu big, it's not Avatar one big, does it outdo other rides, lands there? I doubt it.

b) it's a friggen disney park even if the film bored you I am sure the ride is short enough and the characters lookinteresting enough you draw casuals in, there's barely anything in a Disney park thats going to perform poorly thats based on a movie right?, it's even going to attract the attention of kids (you think they are Avatar movie fans? Nahhh) and casual non fans, big blue cat people etc fits right in there with Disney stuff and you hear that it's the biggest flukiest grossing movie of all time of course your gonna be curious.

You want an example? I cant stand Alien films after the second (3 is okish) would I still go on an Alien themed ride? You bet your ass I would, would I go see Beyformers at Universal even though the Movies are bad? Hell yeah.

hows the rest of the Avatar merch coping?

So the better bet is will Avengers Endgame outdo Avatar 2 at the Box office? The Answer is a resounding yes.

For that reason I am not willing to bet.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

That is nice and all, but Hollywood decided long ago that raw cash is their metric to determine success.
Because I love semantic arguments: Movie opens on Wednesday in a lot of other countries (including China). So it'll be 5 days to $1B, not 3.

Movies don't report butts in seats for the same reason that NPD doesn't report actual sales anymore. Because of the point of the reporting of the numbers is about whether a movie was profitable or not, not how many people saw it. As an aside, that's also why international grosses are converted using the modern exchange rates and reported in dollars, even though there are other countries that actually do report tickets sold.

Oh I know why I just don't like it!

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
WW, I agree, but only because of the advantages that Avatar had that Endgame lacks (Christmas season, no competition for months, the 3D gimmick still being a thing). It's got a fair chance of beating it domestic. And Endgame absolutely is going to kick the crap out of Avatar 2.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
SMH at everyone downplaying Avatar 2. You guys never learn.

I doubt Endgame will beat Avatar, but even if it did I wouldn't be surprised at all if Avatar 2 took back the number one spot LOL.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity War only beat Jurassic World by 26 million domestically. Y'all are high.

It was nearly 100,000,000 behind Avatar domestically.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I think it's pretty unlikely that End Game does an additional ~740 mil over Infinity War. It would need some strong repeat business, and with the lineup of Summer movies between now and July...I just don't see it happening.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think any movie will beat Avatar in the near future. The combination of things needed for it were very rare i.e. super high budget, big name attached to the project, new technology, no competition and new IP helped it a lot, and not to mention the repeated viewings it got. I originally thought Star Wars TFA was going to beat it but it didn't, likely because Star Wars isn't that big in the east (unless I'm wrong here). I wonder if Avatar 2 will beat it, while it will be a direct sequel it'll be the first in over a decade. Then again it depends on a lot of other factors.

Avatar One is basically the Wii of movies but Emdgame will be the PS2.

I say to Avatar fans:
Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It won't beat Avatar, Avatar hit 2.78 because it barely dropped week to week for like 2 months straight, not because it had huge numbers OW.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I don't get Avatar.
It made a fuck ton of money and then fell off the face of the earth.

I believe that End Game will wreck it, but I like Elesa too much to make the bet.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Avatar is some next level glitch in the system. Nothing is touching that for a looooong time.

Titanic and The Force Awakens, however... that's a more interesting battle.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i'll make an Avatar bet. Avenger endgame will outgross Avatar. If it doesn't, then i will change the Avatar to my avatar so that my avatar will be the Avatar. Now excuse me, i'll have to re-watch Avatar the Last Airbender on netflix while controlling my avatar in Ultima Online.

Status
Not open for further replies.