• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
While watching the movie, it bugged how easy Tony figured out time travel, but thinking about it, on Iron man 1 he builds a miniature arc reactor in a cave. With a box of scraps.
On Iron Man 2 he creates a new chemical element.
Tony is a kind of eureka scientist instead of, you know, someone who spends twenty year studying a single subject to make a PhD thesis that kind of helps.

He's the kind of scientist that would be a God on our Earth. That's how far above real scientists he is lol

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
So this movie made at least three other timelines.

-Thanos and Nebula dying before Infinity War ever happens in their timeline

-Loki escaping somewhere with the tesseract

-Old Cap's timeline

Time travel opens up so many wormholes. I wonder if they'll ever address these gaps in the future. In the timeline where Thanos is gone the stones all still exist, in Loki's time he's still a bad guy, and in Cap's time? The possibilities are almost endless.

Don't think of it like these timelines are 'created' due to these actions. Infinite timelines exist. Nothing is being created by these actions, the timelines are just diverging from the one we are familiar with a little bit more.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I was thinking about making an OT for this but judging on how other MCU threads are been locked off I'll ask it here.

I was rewatching infinity war last night and something popped into my head that I'd never thought of before: if Thanos and later the Avengers wanted the stones to halve/return half the population why would you need all of them and not just the Aether if it can change reality?

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I was thinking about making an OT for this but judging on how other MCU threads are been locked off I'll ask it here.

I was rewatching infinity war last night and something popped into my head that I'd never thought of before: if Thanos and later the Avengers wanted the stones to halve/return half the population why would you need all of them and not just the Aether if it can change reality?
The stones on their own have a more limited range/duration. You need them all to have a universal change. Malakith needed the convergence to bring all the stars together rather than just use the Aether alone.

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's not explained anywhere, and for good reason—it's all MacGuffin nonsensical mumbo jumbo.

And that's okay! These stones played individual roles in certain stories, but ultimately they've never been what has really mattered in the MCU, and outside of their culmination in these last two Avengers movies, they really could have been replaced with any plot contrivance widget or thingamajig.

With that said, I think the reality stone just sort of behaves as an illusion creating thing? Like, we see Thanos use it on Knowhere and then again on his home planet to create visions, but I don't think it actually alters the nature of reality. As soon as the stone is gone, those effects reverse themselves (Mantis and Drax auto-recovering from their weird ribboning and dicing).

But as far as the mechanics, I just assumed the collected stones enhance one another and, essentially, grant wishes? Who the hell knows. Why can you destroy and then revive trillions of beings but not revive those who were killed prior to a snap occurring? Can you accomplish other things besides disappearing people? If you put on the gauntlet and did the shocker or the metal horns or the surfs up gestures would some other marvelous thing happen? Most importantly, why does snapping one's fingers automatically make these things happen? Why don't you have to snap them backwards to undo it? Was there nothing special about the original gauntlet (i.e. it being made by the space blacksmith like Thor's weapons...) since Stark was able to make a functional facsimile out of Iron Man tech?

The questions are endless, but ultimately meaningless. Sometimes the mechanics of magical items and the reasons behind them are best left unanalyzed, and it's okay to let those parts of storytelling go usually (unlike the total illogical and thematically inconsistent character actions and story beats of this season's GoT).

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Traditionally, time travel does not affect the main timeline in Marvel comics, just like this movie, but with one exception: Doom's time platform allows him to alter history within continuity. So, if they came up with some story contrivance where Doom (or any character) could advance the Avengers' time travel technology so that they could make changes to the main timeline, they could engineer a situation where Doom (or any character) could be responsible for the existence of mutants in the main MCU timeiine.

But I think what will happen is mutants will just emerge from an alternate timeline and eventually cross over somehow.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

It's not explained anywhere, and for good reason—it's all MacGuffin nonsensical mumbo jumbo.

And that's okay! These stones played individual roles in certain stories, but ultimately they've never been what has really mattered in the MCU, and outside of their culmination in these last two Avengers movies, they really could have been replaced with any plot contrivance widget or thingamajig.

With that said, I think the reality stone just sort of behaves as an illusion creating thing? Like, we see Thanos use it on Knowhere and then again on his home planet to create visions, but I don't think it actually alters the nature of reality. As soon as the stone is gone, those effects reverse themselves (Mantis and Drax auto-recovering from their weird ribboning and dicing).

But as far as the mechanics, I just assumed the collected stones enhance one another and, essentially, grant wishes? Who the hell knows. Why can you destroy and then revive trillions of beings but not revive those who were killed prior to a snap occurring? Can you accomplish other things besides disappearing people? If you put on the gauntlet and did the shocker or the metal horns or the surfs up gestures would some other marvelous thing happen? Most importantly, why does snapping one's fingers automatically make these things happen? Why don't you have to snap them backwards to undo it? Was there nothing special about the original gauntlet (i.e. it being made by the space blacksmith like Thor's weapons...) since Stark was able to make a functional facsimile out of Iron Man tech?

The questions are endless, but ultimately meaningless. Sometimes the mechanics of magical items and the reasons behind them are best left unanalyzed, and it's okay to let those parts of storytelling go usually (unlike the total illogical and thematically inconsistent character actions and story beats of this season's GoT).

The movies kind of placed too much emphasis on the gathering of them all for the "snap". Though I get it as the studio is on record for being fearful of pushing too many abstract concepts into the films. Dr. Strange tests those waters, but they really kept the cosmic aspect of the stones and their uniqueness vague and focused on a singular action for accessibility. (I mean beyond the light teases in the prior films on their gifts)

But yes, as intentioned the book goes into far more detail on the nature of the stones. Seemingly just the time and reality stones alone are necessary to fix the issue. Though in the case of the book, there is no chase to re-collect them individually after the snap, so the Gauntlet is formed and all remain together while heroes and baddies fight to own it. But it's made clear that the gems are capable of damn near anything beyond imagination. Separately and together both.

Pure and total omnipotence.

It's almost jokingly stated in the book that a snap of the finger can eliminate half the populace if the one that wielded it wills it. So it is done as it is the primary request that began the hunt for the gems in the first place. I didn't love that the film took the snap too literally again, but I suppose this way the focus could remain on the billion other things that needed framing.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While watching the movie, it bugged how easy Tony figured out time travel, but thinking about it, on Iron man 1 he builds a miniature arc reactor in a cave. With a box of scraps.
On Iron Man 2 he creates a new chemical element.
Tony is a kind of eureka scientist instead of, you know, someone who spends twenty year studying a single subject to make a PhD thesis that kind of helps.
It's kinda believable, considering Pym had done all the heavy lifting, the Pym particle stuff was his life's work, so certain liberties can be taken.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Tony also has probably created extremely advanced AI to help him with this stuff.

Y'all think he stopped with Ultron?

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I could see that happening

except for Deadpool...would love for him to just be there outta the blue like oh yeah

Deadpool is the one that works best though. He can already time travel at the end of the second movie, all the heavy lifting is already done.
The movies kind of placed too much emphasis on the gathering of them all for the "snap". Though I get it as the studio is on record for being fearful of pushing too many abstract concepts into the films. Dr. Strange tests those waters, but they really kept the cosmic aspect of the stones and their uniqueness vague and focused on a singular action for accessibility. (I mean beyond the light teases in the prior films on their gifts)

But yes, as intentioned the book goes into far more detail on the nature of the stones. Seemingly just the time and reality stones alone are necessary to fix the issue. Though in the case of the book, there is no chase to re-collect them individually after the snap, so the Gauntlet is formed and all remain together while heroes and baddies fight to own it. But it's made clear that the gems are capable of damn near anything beyond imagination. Separately and together both.

Pure and total omnipotence.

It's almost jokingly stated in the book that a snap of the finger can eliminate half the populace if the one that wielded it wills it. So it is done as it is the primary request that began the hunt for the gems in the first place. I didn't love that the film took the snap too literally again, but I suppose this way the focus could remain on the billion other things that needed framing.

Yeah, that's very true. I read the original comic years ago and the only thing that could beat Thanos was himself.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get Captain America's time travel in the end.

Didn't he go to an alternate timeline to live there. And if so, how does he end up sitting on the bench in the timeline he left from.

And why wouldn't Bucky go up and greet him? Did he know about Captains plans before he left?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Didn't he go to an alternate timeline to live there. And if so, how does he end up sitting on the bench in the timeline he left from.

And why wouldn't Bucky go up and greet him? Did he know about Captains plans before he left?

The writers and directors have contradictory accounts of that answer lol

That was implied from when I rewatched it again. Bucky's reactions come into a whole new light once you know what's going on.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I just realized that Strange already knew in IW that Tony would eventually die.😢
Please tell me that Chris Evans signed up for other movies.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, why didn't they send Chonky Thor back to the battle of Wakanda and kill Thanos before he snaps? He prevents the snap in that timeline and he can just pick up all six stones right there and take them back to his timeline and unsnap everyone?

Why do you think that facing a fully powered Thanos and his army is preferable to taking the stones from places where they encounter almost zero resistance?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Yes Captain lived in an alternate timeline. He's sitting on the bench because he used the extra pym particles he stole from the 70's to jump back to the main time line.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like old Cap at the end is supposed to be open for interpretation which is why Russo Bros and the writers gave different answer.
We'll get true the answer once Chris Evans sign on to do another one.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
His family gets dusted, then he starts murdering bad guys worldwide because.....reasons? Seems like they took this turn solely to try to add gravitas to the Soul Stone scene.
He started murdering bad guys because they survived Thanos while his family didn't. That's what the whole "They got Thanos, you get me" and "You can't get me what I want" dialouge from the Tokyo scene is supposed to convey.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah still doesnt make much sense. I'll just accept it was to lower him to be BW's moral equivalent for the Soul Stone scene and move on.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Finally saw it. Very good movie. Not as good as IW but for a final conclusion of 10+ years it's pretty amazing what they pulled off. Mad respect for the Russo brothers that they managed to handle all the different arcs so well. I had a big grin the whole time on my face with all the little hints and nods that were spread in. It was even a bit emotional at the end. Loved how the OG Avengers gave all their signature in the credits. It's nothing short of amazing what the Marvel, Feige and everyone who is involved have done with this huge universe.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The writers and directors have contradictory accounts of that answer lol

Eh, it was fun when half the thread jumped on me for saying exactly the same thing the writers later confirmed, using the directors' statements as further proof of me being just unable to understand "something spelled out perfectly clearly and understandably".

Not even the people who made the movie agree on how time travel works in this.

And that's something more inevitable than Thanos. Time travel stories NEVER make sense.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Caught the the Deadpool 2 joke on the second viewing with Thor and Hulk. Nice throwback to the Thanos joke in that movie. So good.

"Is it the cable problem?"
"No, the Thanos problem."

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
This has probably been posted several times already, but this was an interesting chat with the director, writers and Feige.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm sitting here and making hot dogs for lunch and it sort of dawns on me that the "mayo on hot dog" line I'm guessing is supposed to be a joke that Clint has mayo with his hot dogs? (because he dismisses his daughter's question as saying her brothers probably do even though they have ketchup)

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
So I'm sitting here and making hot dogs for lunch and it sort of dawns on me that the "mayo on hot dog" line I'm guessing is supposed to be a joke that Clint has mayo with his hot dogs? (because he dismisses his daughter's question as saying her brothers probably do even though they have ketchup)
#TeamKetchup

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No bit. Just trying to connect the dots of his motivations, which dont really seem to add up.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
I think the movie did a good job of showing some of the ways different people deal with grief and guilt thru the original 6 avengers.
Banner/hulk: Gets himself sorted out. Uses his internal struggle and pain in a constructive way
Tony stark: Moves on with his life but still holds alot of guilt (especially of the loss of peter). In the end sacrifices his life ahead of him for the greater good.
Cap: can't move on. in the final scene of the movie he finally moves on
widow: overworks herself. This goes back to her entire character throughout the mcu. She wants to erase the red in her ledger and finally gets to.
Thor enters a depressive spiral. His mums speech on being who you really are hit hard
Hawkeye: Takes it out on the world. throughout the movie he's basically suicidal - volunteering for the time travel test and vomir are some examples

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
"I love you 3000." The feels :(

About Clint, he basically became the Punisher in this movie. He's taking out on criminals his grief and rage over the fact they survived but his innocent family didn't.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
His family gets dusted, then he starts murdering bad guys worldwide because.....reasons? Seems like they took this turn solely to try to add gravitas to the Soul Stone scene.

He was salty because good innocent people died while the worst criminals carried on.

So to handle his grief, he's addressing the unfairness of it all by killing the worst criminals.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Very confused about the importance of putting all the stones back but it not being a problem at all that Thanos died before the snap. If he came from an alternate time, so did the stones, it didn't seem like they really did need to go anywhere. I dunno, it's a bit nitpicky, but it felt kind of dumb to just gloss over the time traveling Thanos and army issue. I wonder if they'll ever address it.

That Thanos was from the 2014 timeline where they got the Power & Soul Stones. They still had to get the other stones from other timelines, so they had to put those stones back so that they would have adequate defenses against powerful enemies like Dormammu, otherwise those branch timelines they created to save their universe would be doomed. And that wouldn't be very heroic of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Just that - that the actions of Thanos send Clint on a mission of revenge against Thanos, er, I mean the Yakuza.

Wasn't just the Yakuza, Rhodes found him in Mexico doing the same thing. When half the population of humanity dies and he sees criminals still operating and probably benefitting from the devastation and chaos, he decides to bring his own misguided sense of justice into an unjust world. He's trying to fill a void with what he did before he had a family - before his actual family and before the Avengers & SHIELD.