• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest unsung thing the writers and actors of Endgame executed was making these larger than life heroes human.

Tony: being emaciated and at death's door at the start of the film. His amazing reunion with Cap and the surviving Avengers when he confronts Steve. His relationship with his daughter. Even little details like him washing dishes at his cabin.

Natasha: Her desperation to do something, anything, to make a positive difference in the world. The peanut butter sandwich scene is so incredibly human. Like, "superheroes eat PBJ? So do I!" Her friendship with Clint and how deep it is (and pays off so much over the course of these movies). Her inability to move on after their second defeat (Thanos got the last laugh even though he loses his head).

Clint: His despair and survivors guilt and anger after losing his entire family. I mean, it wasn't just his wife that was dusted, but his 3 children as well. How can that not break a person? I totally understood his arc in this film. And then he loses Natasha, his dearest friend, when victory still wasn't assured at that point in the film. His scene at the beginning with his daughter was also touching and human. No superheroics, just a man having a picnic with his family and joking with his daughter.

Thor: We've seen this guy as a cocky, arrogant prince, and a powerful thunder god, but his depression and sorrow and regret, and guilt was some of the strongest emotional throughline of the movie. Hemsworth killed it. And yeah, fat Thor had moments played up for laughs, but his mental and emotional state was so, so believable and human. I never felt the humor undercut that in any way. His scene with Rocket, and with his mom are two of the highlights of the film.

Steve: Even though they lost. Even though the world is gone to shit, Steve is in a support group with regular, non-super powered people trying to help them move on and find hope, even when he doesn't feel it himself. Even when he's incapable of moving on. The line about how he went into the ice after meeting the love of his life makes that final scene with Peggy that much more beautiful to me. The PBJ scene with Nat and the mention of him coming to do his laundry is another small moment that grounds all of these characters and makes them feel human.

I love the first hour of Endgame because the tone it sets wouldn't be out of place in a drama about people that don't run around in tights and suits of armor for a living. Just really well done stuff. I love little details that make characters feel real, and the cast and crew of this movie delivered that, while also delivering an insanely spectacular and over the top final act.

It's such a great compliment to Infinity War, and a wonderful bookend to the 22 movies that came before it. It's not a flawless film, but it is an impressively made film. I can't wait to own it.
This is a huge part of why I enjoyed Endgame more than Infinity War and feel it's the better movie by a substantial margin. The two movies can't exist without the other, but Infinity War feels like three movies crammed into one, and constantly slamming on the accelerator to get to the next set-piece, the next group of characters, the next location, the next flashback, the next stone, etc. What has made the MCU work as well as it has is that it always focused on the characters behind the masks; Iron Man didn't feature Stark in his full suit till nearly 80 minutes into the movie. But aside from a few emotional beats that felt unearned (not counting the Snap), Infinity War is practically all spectacle, no humanizing.

Endgame's willingness to slow down and let us linger with these characters, as well as its much more focused narrative through-line, really elevated it above Infinity War for me.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think Thor is a great example of "we laugh because it hurts"

Might get some raised eyebrows for this but watching Thor in Endgame kept giving me slight Luke from TLJ vibes in terms of his having to learn to come to terms with failure and balancing legacy with reality and etc. The arcs obviously didn't progress the same but both were studies on similar themes and I thought it was really smart to use Thor in that way.

I thought it hit home when he got pissed at the other Avengers because Natasha was gone. He always saved the day in the past, for thousands of years. He wanted so badly to be able to save her like he'd saved so many before, and just couldn't accept that sometimes loss is permanent.

Oct 26, 2017
Lowkey Professor Hulk is one of the better character arcs MCU provided even thought it showed up as a joke

Also, super excited to have Thor be part of GOTG, I genuinely love those movies and his character from Ragnarok.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
I'm really curious as to how Thor would work in an AsGuardians movie.
Won't he be an insta win button there against any straight up fight? As much as I enjoyed him I hope he doesn't overshadow the rest of the cast too much and I'm sure Star Lord shares that sentiment lol

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Not too fond of Thanos in this one, had a bit of sympathy for him in IW, but EG just couldn't get the balance down, he went fool toon towards the end, and the complete hypocrisy - criticizing the heroes for time traveling as being stubborn, while doing it himself, critisizing them of being arrogant yet he was willing to risk his life when he was like 10x more likely to die jumping into a future timeline where they would more than likely be ready for him.

One minute he's cool calm and collected during the fight, the minute he gets his ass kicked he babies out and asks for his artillery to just fire on everything on the battlefield, then when he's finally screwed he 180s again and just accepts it, doesn't even give a spiteful death qoute, yet a few moments before says he's "inevitable" literally started laughing during the last half of the battle. This guy is something else.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
FWPreview-Jan28-Horus-V-Emperor2gt.jpg

Sub Horus for Thanos

Thanos vs. The God Emperor

who wins

Nov 30, 2017
Won't he be an insta win button there against any straight up fight? As much as I enjoyed him I hope he doesn't overshadow the rest of the cast too much and I'm sure Star Lord shares that sentiment lol

If we analyze the statement Odin made. Thor draws his power from Asgard and Asgard is not a place it's the people.

So in IW Thor is King of Asgard. He failed to protect his people but because of his dedication to his people he became so enraged with Vengeance that he was able to draw every last bit of power from the Asgardians (you could even say he was drawing from their anger) left alive before the Snap to transfer into Stormbreaker to overpower Thanos.

However after getting his revenge and how hollow it was Thor had nothing to left to draw his power from. The people of Asgard decimated to barely anyone left. He had become so broken as a man that the power he had mustered by becoming King of Asgard is no more.

So he will begin a new journey to find his power not by earning his place as King of Asgard who he was supposed to be but by finding his power in becoming who he wants to be.

Now that he has relinquished his status as King of Asgard, he will still be pretty strong but nowhere near peak level now that he is on this new journey.

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think you've quoted the correct post of mine, hahah. Still, it prompted me to read your writeup and I agree with it 100%, so there's that; also kind of serendipitous considering I saw the movie today for the first time. :)

I really love the pacing and buildup of the movie. It starts in such a low key and personal way, has a minor mini-climax in the Thanos cabin fight, then goes back to low key and intimate to let the characters and the plot breathe. The middle slowly builds up as a heist movie into a bit of space opera, and the finale is downright explosive.

Yeah, I saw that just now and I'm like, where did that come from? Lol. I'm on my phone, so maybe I was going to respond to it in another thread but didn't, and it saved it in my quote tags? Lol

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest unsung thing the writers and actors of Endgame executed was making these larger than life heroes human.

Tony: being emaciated and at death's door at the start of the film. His amazing reunion with Cap and the surviving Avengers when he confronts Steve. His relationship with his daughter. Even little details like him washing dishes at his cabin.

Natasha: Her desperation to do something, anything, to make a positive difference in the world. The peanut butter sandwich scene is so incredibly human. Like, "superheroes eat PBJ? So do I!" Her friendship with Clint and how deep it is (and pays off so much over the course of these movies). Her inability to move on after their second defeat (Thanos got the last laugh even though he loses his head).

Clint: His despair and survivors guilt and anger after losing his entire family. I mean, it wasn't just his wife that was dusted, but his 3 children as well. How can that not break a person? I totally understood his arc in this film. And then he loses Natasha, his dearest friend, when victory still wasn't assured at that point in the film. His scene at the beginning with his daughter was also touching and human. No superheroics, just a man having a picnic with his family and joking with his daughter.

Thor: We've seen this guy as a cocky, arrogant prince, and a powerful thunder god, but his depression and sorrow and regret, and guilt was some of the strongest emotional throughline of the movie. Hemsworth killed it. And yeah, fat Thor had moments played up for laughs, but his mental and emotional state was so, so believable and human. I never felt the humor undercut that in any way. His scene with Rocket, and with his mom are two of the highlights of the film.

Steve: Even though they lost. Even though the world is gone to shit, Steve is in a support group with regular, non-super powered people trying to help them move on and find hope, even when he doesn't feel it himself. Even when he's incapable of moving on. The line about how he went into the ice after meeting the love of his life makes that final scene with Peggy that much more beautiful to me. The PBJ scene with Nat and the mention of him coming to do his laundry is another small moment that grounds all of these characters and makes them feel human.

I love the first hour of Endgame because the tone it sets wouldn't be out of place in a drama about people that don't run around in tights and suits of armor for a living. Just really well done stuff. I love little details that make characters feel real, and the cast and crew of this movie delivered that, while also delivering an insanely spectacular and over the top final act.

It's such a great compliment to Infinity War, and a wonderful bookend to the 22 movies that came before it. It's not a flawless film, but it is an impressively made film. I can't wait to own it.

What I like about Steve running the support group is that that's what Sam did in Winter Soldier.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Has it been explained how cap puts the soul stone back in it's place? Sorry if this has been answered a million times.

Oct 28, 2017
The way they kill off Black Widow is so tropey. They did the same thing with Gamora. It's also the absolutely most obvious they could have done from the audience standpoint since they know the truth about the soul stone. I really wish they subverted expectations by having Hawkeye throw his bow and arrows as a sacrifice and it works because he has a lot of sentimental value in it or something.

Why is Thanos so tough in the final fight? I thought he was that powerful in Infinity War because he had the Power Stone. He was basically as strong as he was in Infinity War without the magic powers.

This is hilarious

It is a joke right?
I dont think "Wakanda Apechant" is hilarious.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
She was a pretty integral part though, both times.

Yeah. I mean arguably she was the single most effective person in that entire battle if you take her destroying his entire fleet into consideration. Wanda beat him in a 1v1 but Carol stopped him from pulling a snap long enough for RDJ to get into position to finish the job. She did everything she was supposed to do while still giving the key moment to the longest running person in the franchise. She'll be one of the main stars whenever Avengers 5 comes out.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
If we analyze the statement Odin made. Thor draws his power from Asgard and Asgard is not a place it's the people.

So in IW Thor is King of Asgard. He failed to protect his people but because of his dedication to his people he became so enraged with Vengeance that he was able to draw every last bit of power from the Asgardians (you could even say he was drawing from their anger) left alive before the Snap to transfer into Stormbreaker to overpower Thanos.

However after getting his revenge and how hollow it was Thor had nothing to left to draw his power from. The people of Asgard decimated to barely anyone left. He had become so broken as a man that the power he had mustered by becoming King of Asgard is no more.

So he will begin a new journey to find his power not by earning his place as King of Asgard who he was supposed to be but by finding his power in becoming who he wants to be.

Now that he has relinquished his status as King of Asgard, he will still be pretty strong but nowhere near peak level now that he is on this new journey.
I completely forgot about that line from Odin, though I think my interpretation is less literal than yours. As in Thor drawing a sense of purpose from Asgard's peoples not pulling people's energy ala Genkidama or more relevantly like Hela anchoring her existence on it.

It would make for an interesting arc for him though I agree.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they subverted expectations by having Hawkeye throw his bow and arrows as a sacrifice and it works because he has a lot of sentimental value in it or something

You have to sacrifice an actual living being to get the stone, so this would be a pretty nonsensical subversion lol

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I was really expecting Hawkeye to give his daughter some sort of fundamental archery tip.
Then, at some later point in the movie while he's under enormous pressure and has to shoot some ridiculous shot, he would have to remember his own advice and stay cool.
Come to think of it, I don't really remember any amazing archery stuff at all in Endgame.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Has it been explained how cap puts the soul stone back in it's place? Sorry if this has been answered a million times.

The soul stone is simple. (Hands it to Red Skull) Here's, it's yours. What I want to know is how the Mind, Power, Reality and Space Stones were returned. They were just placed in that briefcase in their pure forms. Cap didn't even take the Scepter with him.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Why is Thanos so tough in the final fight? I thought he was that powerful in Infinity War because he had the Power Stone. He was basically as strong as he was in Infinity War without the magic powers.

He wasn't imho.
Thanos seemed to be more vulnerable to Tony's beams always deflecting it instead of tanking it, Mjolnir wielding Cap literally hammer-uppercut him off his feet and his lightning attacks visibly hurts him too. Hell Wanda very nearly disassembled him, even Shuri, Rescue Armor Pepper and, damn I can't remember the other one was it Wanda?, joint tri-beam attack also blows him back.

It's just, he's fully armed and armored plus a scarily skilled fighter going for the kill and well.. Tony made the mistake of letting him get close and ate a Stormbreaker smashed Mjolnir to his chest knocking him out for most of the fight, Thor is in no shape to fight him melee and as awesome as Mjolnir wielding Cap is by that time he has to completely solo Thanos. Even though he gets a lot of good hits in he just can't outlast him.

Now compare that with IW where everyone gets free shots at Thanos and only Stark made him bleed.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
In the comics Thanos smacks around the likes of Thor, Silver Surfer, Black Bolt etc. for fun. It's completely normal he is powerful. He beat Hulk without the power gem in about 10 seconds, they set him up immediately to be strong.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather they bend the rules on that. Maybe Hawkeye "tests" it to see if it really has to be a living being.

That just ruins the entire scene. It wouldn't even be a clever loophole, it'd just be plain disregarding what Red Skull had literally just told them. Nor would the audience ever buy that his bow/arrows are special to Clint when he's never made a fuss about them before.

Also they justified why they have no reason to doubt him, which included Red Skull knowing Natasha's father's name, something she was unaware of.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the guy who last year tweeted about Fat Thor, Jarvis cameo and the elevator scene apparently has new info for future movies, maybe GotG3:
Rocket was created by the High Evolutionary, Drax's daughter is alive, Lylla the Otter will be introduced and Quill grows closer to Nebula

thebagel1

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Captain Marvel with short hair was an incredilbe and welcomed surprise.

Also hope to see a Rescue movie with gwyneth paltrow.

Cap wielding Mjonir was honestly the sexiest scene in this movie.

"Incredible" really? I mean I dont care what her hair looks like but how is it "incredible?"

Saw the movie for the second time the other day and it was still amazing.

MCU> SW, LOTR, HP any day of the week.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I'd rather they bend the rules on that. Maybe Hawkeye "tests" it to see if it really has to be a living being.
The only way I could see you could bend the rules on the Soul Stone would be if Banner went over the cliff and they repeat the Incredible Hulk/Ragnarok where he basically dies but the Hulk emerges, maybe he would be purely Savage Hulk after that point with Banner's soul gone. But still, that wouldn't really work.

(It should have been Cap)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
What I like about Steve running the support group is that that's what Sam did in Winter Soldier.

Yup! That was the first thing I thought when that scene played in Endgame. So many subtle and overt callbacks.

Another really touching and human moment was Happy talking to Morgan about the cheeseburgers. Yeah, it's a callback to Iron Man 1, but the scene plays so well for anyone that has ever been to a funeral with really young children, in particular the child of the deceased, and they haven't quite processed what's happening, but the adults are trying to be as comforting as possible to the kids. It was a very believable moment, and I'm glad it was Happy sharing that moment with Tony's daughter. I mean, Favreau kicked this whole thing off thanks to Iron Man being such a good movie. It was fitting to me that he'd have a moment like that for this final Tony Stark movie.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia

tenor.gif

It's not like he has a healing factor.

As someone with no attachment to be accurate to the comics, this seems... fine.
I like that there are repercussions and it gives more weight to both Banner's claim that Thor would not survive it and Stark's sacrifice.

On the meta side I'm also fine with Hulk making way for new MCU heroes to shine.
Can't always have the instant win button by having Prof Hulk on speed dial lol
...and the joke of other MCU movies always asking where's the Avengers is wearing thin imo

Oct 28, 2017
That just ruins the entire scene. It wouldn't even be a clever loophole, it'd just be plain disregarding what Red Skull had literally just told them. Nor would the audience ever buy that his bow/arrows are special to Clint when he's never made a fuss about them before.

Also they justified why they have no reason to doubt him, which included Red Skull knowing Natasha's father's name, something she was unaware of.
I mean, this is all make believe and they can work with the fiction however they like and make it so that it is more believable that Hawkeye values his bow and arrow like that. The "soul for a soul" thing could have easily just been Red Skull being literal and not figurative. This is fiction. There's no reason they can't write it in well if they wanted to.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cap wielding Mjonir was honestly the sexiest scene in this movie.

Nah, the sexiest scene was Rogers admiring his own butt. "That is America's ass" was the best line ever.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. In their own movies, the Guardians have fought Ronan with the Power Gem and Ego the Living Planet. If anything Thor tagging along means, for once, they'll actually have a fair chance against whatever bonkers enemy they go up against next.

If it's Adam Warlock and Beta Ray Bill, maybe Thor fights Bill and loses because he's still out of shape and it pushes him to have a Rocky-style montage to get back into shape. Then after he defeats Adam Warlock, he passes Stormbreaker onto Bill because he realises he doesn't need it any more.

Last edited:

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
I forget, some people are only familiar with th movie side of things. That said, even with that one movie they were pushing/hyping Captain Marvel. Oh, she's gonna be necessary to beat thanos, wait she's gonna pop up for 2 secs then disappear.

That's how I felt coming in to Endgame, I was expecting Captain Marvel to be a presence throughout the whole film due to the hype she had received. She was definitely pivotal to the plot and did things but I expected far more screen time than she received. To be fair though they were clearly trying to tell a story focused around the original Avengers as it was the end of their arch, so it makes sense.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Steve said to Natasha that he saw whales swimming in water that used to be dirtier and filled with boats.

Nobody wants to talk about that though.
Why were the whales there though? Was it because their regular food supply was gone and they were looking for more food? ;)

Feb 15, 2018
Just saw the movie yesterday (in 4DX, my my). It was damn amazing and I can't wait to see it again. But how the hell did Steve manage to put all the stone back all by himself ??? Even when they all get back it went south. How did he travel in space ? How much of Pym's particles did he have. It confused me a lot but I enjoy his closure nonetheless.

Could have been a whole movie about getting the stones back. My brother and I thought it was pretty annoying how they just glossed over it all

Feb 15, 2018
This means that each future that Strange looked at became a timeline and so therefore there are still 14m timelines where the avengers fail that need to be traveled back to and fixed because how unfair is it to just save your own timeline when you know others exist now. I mean, really there are infinite timelines. Infinite times where the world is fucked up by thanos or some other threat and yet our heroes get all uppity about 1 timeline? Pfft... the Avengers are terrible, self centered people.

Exactly, now there are infinite timelines because of time travel, why so my emphasis on one of the timelines?